PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A What happened to inflict wounds\cure critical wounds?

Dark_Ansem
2014-10-25, 04:16 AM
Am I being mistaken or the "inflict wound" spells is missing?

Also, in D&D Next "Cure Critical Wounds" existed. what happened to it now?

Chaosvii7
2014-10-25, 04:18 AM
Am I being mistaken or the "inflict wound" spells is missing?

Also, in D&D Next "Cure Critical Wounds" existed. what happened to it now?

Inflict Wounds is still a spell. They combined all levels of Cure and Inflict into a single spell for each of them(Cure Wounds and Inflict Wounds, respectively). To better understand how that works, you'll need to read up on spells in 5e. The basic concept is that instead of caster levels like in 3e, spells scale by using higher level slots. Higher level versions of Cure and Inflict heal more health and cause more damage, respectively. There are higher-level mass versions, IIRC.

Dark_Ansem
2014-10-25, 04:30 AM
I had the player's handbook right in front me.. missed it, inflict wounds now is very little :P
doh I'm a dolt.

I also have the monster manual, unfortunately it does not explain the resistance and vulnerability values... let me make a practical example...

For example: Shadow creature, page 269
Damage Resistances acid, cold, fire, lightning, thunder; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from non magical weapons

first, how can thunder and lightning be separate elements...
secondly, even in the rules, it does not say how much resistance... damn!

Kyutaru
2014-10-25, 04:42 AM
That's because as part of making everything about 5e simple, Resistance is a flat fifty percent.

If you have Resistance, you take half damage from it.

Thunder and Lightning are different elements because Lightning is electricity like Lightning Bolt while Thunder is shockwaves like all the old sonic spells. I think in some editions they used to be bludgeoning damage but now they have their own damage type.

Blackdrop
2014-10-25, 04:46 AM
I had the player's handbook right in front me.. missed it, inflict wounds now is very little :P
doh I'm a dolt.

I also have the monster manual, unfortunately it does not explain the resistance and vulnerability values... let me make a practical example...

For example: Shadow creature, page 269
Damage Resistances acid, cold, fire, lightning, thunder; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from non magical weapons

secondly, even in the rules, it does not say how much resistance... damn!

RE Thunder and Lightning: Thunder is just the new name for sonic damage (if you're coming from 3.5, it's been like that since 4e). And technically lightning and thunder are two separate things.

Re Resistance and Vulnerability: Resistance is one-half damage. and vulnerability is double damage.

Dark_Ansem
2014-10-25, 04:48 AM
oh lol thanks|
I guess that a vulnerability, intead, is a -50%? Double damage, in short?

I kinda agree with this approach, although it might be too simple :P

also, no monster advancement rules, right? and attributes can\cannot go higher than 30?

Strill
2014-10-25, 04:49 AM

Thunder is sound, explosions, and shockwaves. Lightning is electricity. If you look at the Dungeon Master's Guide preview (http://imgur.com/a/8v3hr) on modern technology, it lists dynamite as dealing thunder damage.

Kyutaru
2014-10-25, 04:53 AM
oh lol thanks|
I guess that a vulnerability, intead, is a -50%? Double damage, in short?

I kinda agree with this approach, although it might be too simple :P

also, no monster advancement rules, right? and attributes can\cannot go higher than 30?
Yes, double damage.

Simple is the point of this edition. Making D&D not take seven hours to kill one dragon. It's more story driven and less about becoming Batman.

Nope! Like most of the things in these books, everything is left up to DM discretion on how you want to handle that stuff. The Dungeon Masters Guide might have some info on advancement though.

MaxWilson
2014-10-25, 10:55 AM
Inflict Wounds is still a spell. They combined all levels of Cure and Inflict into a single spell for each of them(Cure Wounds and Inflict Wounds, respectively). To better understand how that works, you'll need to read up on spells in 5e. The basic concept is that instead of caster levels like in 3e, spells scale by using higher level slots. Higher level versions of Cure and Inflict heal more health and cause more damage, respectively. There are higher-level mass versions, IIRC.

Note that Aid is almost always a more efficient investment than high-level Cure Wounds. 15 * (slot level - 1) HP instead of 5 * slot level, and cast in advance so it's better on the action economy.