PDA

View Full Version : Wands and Caster Level

JackMage666
2007-03-19, 11:10 AM
Alright, I'm building up a wand-weilding Warlock, and I've come across a problem. Do Wands use your characters stats (Like a staff), or do they use the creators stats? I can't find the answer in the SRD, regarding wands that is, and I don't have any books with me at the moment. So, anyone know the answer?

Indon
2007-03-19, 11:16 AM
Wands have their own associated caster level. The default price for a wand is generally the minimum caster level required to cast a spell.

Fixer
2007-03-19, 11:29 AM
Wands are created with a set level. Their 'stat bonus' is based on the MINIMUM to cast the spell when it comes to saving throws.

To my knowledge, Staves are the only set of magical items that base their saves of the users' stats. (I said magical, not psionic, do not bring that psionic crown stuff in here to nitpick.)

Yuki Akuma
2007-03-19, 11:34 AM
Wands are created with a set level. Their 'stat bonus' is based on the MINIMUM to cast the spell when it comes to saving throws.

To my knowledge, Staves are the only set of magical items that base their saves of the users' stats. (I said magical, not psionic, do not bring that psionic crown stuff in here to nitpick.)

Psionic crowns are psionic staves, really.

Mewtarthio
2007-03-19, 11:35 AM

Psionic Crowns are the psionic equivalent of staves, just as djores are the equivalent of wands, powerstones of scrolls, and tattoos of potions.

Jasdoif
2007-03-19, 11:46 AM
It is in the SRD, just scattered around a bit:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#savingThrowsAgainstMagicItemPo wers

Saving Throws Against Magic Item Powers

Magic items produce spells or spell-like effects. For a saving throw against a spell or spell-like effect from a magic item, the DC is 10 + the level of the spell or effect + the ability modifier of the minimum ability score needed to cast that level of spell.

Staffs are an exception to the rule. Treat the saving throw as if the wielder cast the spell, including caster level and all modifiers to save DC.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#casterLevel

Magic Item Descriptions
Caster Level
The next item in a notational entry gives the caster level of the item, indicating its relative power. The caster level determines the item’s saving throw bonus, as well as range or other level-dependent aspects of the powers of the item (if variable). It also determines the level that must be contended with should the item come under the effect of a dispel magic spell or similar situation. This information is given in the form "CL x," where "CL" is an abbreviation for caster level and "x" is an ordinal number representing the caster level itself.

For potions, scrolls, and wands, the creator can set the caster level of an item at any number high enough to cast the stored spell and not higher than her own caster level. For other magic items, the caster level is determined by the creator. The minimum caster level is that which is needed to meet the prerequisites given.

A scroll, potion or wand can be made with a higher caster level then the minimum (say, a CL 9 wand of magic missile so you get five missiles per charge), but in most cases you'll need to ask for (and pay for) someone to create it for you like that. Minimum CL is the default for things you find/buy, since that's the most cost efficient.