PDA

View Full Version : (PF) Tower Shield Question

Talakeal
2014-10-25, 06:50 AM
Could someone tell me if this is a viable tactic?

Move into a doorway or other narrow chokepoint with the enemy on one side and the party on the other.

Use a tower shield to take total cover from the enemy side.

Have the rest of your party use spells or ranged attacks through your character, leaving the enemy unable to respond.

This seems to work by RAW as the tower shield creates a one way barrier that totally blocks attacks targeting you, but this seems pretty cheap. I tried it in a game last night and it looked like RAW to me but my DM declared it was illegal and refused. Did I make a mistake, or is this just a case of fighters can't have nice things?

VexingFool
2014-10-25, 07:23 AM
Unless you and your allies have Teamwork: Shield Wall only you benefit from the tower shield

That edge is treated as a solid wall for attacks targeting you only.

Talakeal
2014-10-25, 07:26 AM
Unless you and your allies have Teamwork: Shield Wall only you benefit from the tower shield

Yeah, I know, but the enemies we happened to be fighting at the time only had melee weapons so they couldn't attack the other party members anyway.

VexingFool
2014-10-25, 07:46 AM
OK I misunderstood, I thought you were saying the rest of the group would get Total Cover as well.

Your DM was probably just frustrated at a tactic that nullified his bad guys. He could of had the bad guys fall back and take cover themselves waiting for the rest of the group to enter. They could of taken turns sundering your Tower Shield and moving back out of the doorway so they could not be hit. Even if they were standing next to you attacking the shield they would get +4 cover AC from you. I would probably allow them to attempt bull rush the tower shield as well.