PDA

View Full Version : Tideland

Erloas
2007-03-19, 02:18 PM
So the other day my brother and I were in Blockbuster looking for something decent and for the most part failing to find anything. We noticed Tideland and decided to give it a try since it was directed by Terry Gilliam, and he usually makes some interesting, and usually wierd movies. (Terry Gilliam got started in Monty Python for those that can't place the name).

He even starts the movie off personally stating that many people probably won't like the film. I think it helped too, because if I hadn't been forwarned to look at things from a different perspective then most movies it would have been hard to get much out of the movie.
It was only shortly in theaters and has mostly gotten bad reviews with a few very high reviews mixed in, but considering I put almost no faith in the word of professional movie critics that means nothing to me. It was just released on DVD a few months ago.
I never read the book it was based off of.

I was just wondering what others thought of it. I'm still not totally sure myself. I think the content of the story was interesting but the context of the story was not good (as in focused on the bad, rather then being poorly done) and it would be hard to get anything out of the movie without seperating the content with the context.

Its not the sort of movie you are going to watch with a bunch of friends at a party or go on about at work/school like most hollywood movies. It is using the medium of film to tell a story rather then simply to entertain and that is not something people are used to getting from a movie.

Not sure exactly what I thought of the movie, but it is one of the very few movies that I've taken the time to find information about after I watched it.
I think in a number of ways it could be compared to a Clockwork Orange.

Amotis
2007-03-19, 02:20 PM
A subtle movie by the man himself? Like Clockwork Orange? I am totally going to rent it this week.

Erloas
2007-03-19, 02:31 PM
I wasn't sure if I should have said it was like a Clockwork Orange or not. It really depends on what you got out of A Clockwork Orange, which I know varried a lot between people. Its dark and about what a bad situation does to people and how they choose to deal with it. Its an extreme in society portrayed in a plain and also stylized way.

(And somehow I'm not suprised that Amotis was the first to respond to this.)

Amotis
2007-03-19, 02:34 PM
Dark and stylized, even more reasons.

Me? Why, because I post a lot? Don't blame me, blame the computer.

zachol
2007-03-23, 10:12 PM
Last summer, when I was in France (no good reason, just vacation), I saw Tideland.

I absolutely freaking loved it. That was such an awesome movie.

However, I have no idea if I would've gotten the same experience out of just renting it and watching it at home (large screen helped), and I doubt I'd get much out of it watching it again.

But, I was (and am) extremely glad that I saw it, and that I saw it in a theater.