PDA

View Full Version : zombies + finger of death = how to do template?

Bellberith
2014-10-25, 12:01 PM
okay, has anyone figured out how to do the zombie template?

levels/HD/stats/extra attacks ect.....

cause finger of death says any humanoid.... and there is a distinct lack of info in the zombie section of the MM

Yorrin
2014-10-25, 12:35 PM
Zombie is no longer a template, it's just a creature (or collection of creatures, as the case may be). So for a humanoid just use the stock "zombie" stat block straight out of the MM.

Bellberith
2014-10-25, 12:50 PM
Zombie is no longer a template, it's just a creature (or collection of creatures, as the case may be). So for a humanoid just use the stock "zombie" stat block straight out of the MM.

no diverse zombies? lame.

EugeneVoid
2014-10-25, 01:39 PM
For Diverse Zombies I suggest:

Ask your DM

5e has made the game much less RAW and more "Mother May I," which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

SiuiS
2014-10-25, 01:42 PM
For Diverse Zombies I suggest:

Ask your DM

5e has made the game much less RAW and more "Mother May I," which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Indeed. This is how a lot of folks end up playig 3e and 4e anyway, so it's not like there's any loss.

MaxWilson
2014-10-25, 02:00 PM

This doesn't seem right to me. The zombie template has AC 8 (10 for unarmored, -2 for DX) but if you reanimate a hobgoblin corpse, the armor doesn't just fall off. It should still have high AC. The zombie description even explicitly notes that if you give a weapon to a zombie it will use it, so it doesn't always rely on slams.

Hopefully the DMG will have official guidance, otherwise I'd tentatively say "use the zombie stats but modify for equipment worn."

Kyutaru
2014-10-25, 03:09 PM
You know just having armor on doesn't actually protect you much. There's lots of vulnerabilities in the armor to exploit if you're shambling around as slow as zombies do. Even full plate has joints. It'd be reasonable enough to argue that armor doesn't help a zombie.

JoeJ
2014-10-25, 03:12 PM
This doesn't seem right to me. The zombie template has AC 8 (10 for unarmored, -2 for DX) but if you reanimate a hobgoblin corpse, the armor doesn't just fall off. It should still have high AC. The zombie description even explicitly notes that if you give a weapon to a zombie it will use it, so it doesn't always rely on slams.

Hopefully the DMG will have official guidance, otherwise I'd tentatively say "use the zombie stats but modify for equipment worn."

Do you really official guidance for that? It seems pretty obvious to me.