PDA

View Full Version : Playable Koopa Race! (3.5e AND 5e) PEACH

Ralcos
2014-10-25, 12:53 PM
Koopa

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v46/ramdonperson/Fake%20Motivational%20Posters/MPRespectKoopas-1.jpg

Koopas are a race of turtle-like creatures. There are many different types of Koopas, the best-known of which are the Koopa Troopas. Most Koopas seem to operate in a hierarchy-based grouping system. Bowser is the leader of the Koopa Troop, which has invaded Mushroom Kingdom many times and has control over most of the Koopas. Many of these same Koopas are soldiers in this army and have different tasks in the organization based on the abilities of their particular class. For example, Koopa Troopas tend to be assigned as basic foot soldiers alongside Goombas due to their lack of special abilities, while Magikoopas are often given advisory roles due to their magical abilities and gift of foresight.
However, not all Koopas are allied with Bowser. Some Koopas, such as the Koopa Troopas of Koopa Village, live peacefully inside the borders of the Mushroom Kingdom.
Similar to turtles, Koopas possess shells that are usually a defense mechanism. Unlike turtles, however, the shells are not integrated into their body and more-or-less act as wearable armor/clothing.

+2 Constitution, -2 Dexterity

Medium-Sized; No bonuses or penalties due to size.

Koopa base land speed is 30 feet. This speed is never modified by armor or encumberance (though magical effects that modify movement speed still apply).

Hand-Me-Down Shells: The Koopa are proficient in Koopa Shells, which they prefer to wear. The Shells take up the same slot as clothing/armor made by other humanoid races. Also, you begin with the Thin-Shelled Koopa Shell. Other races CAN NOT wear Koopa Shells, nor can they get proficiency in Koopa Shells.

Stability: A Koopa gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull-rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).

Low-Light Vision: A Koopa can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.

Throw Koopa Shell: As a Standard Action, a Koopa can throw his Koopa Shell (if he is wearing one) as if it was a thrown weapon. When thrown, the Koopa Shell does not give its’ Armor Class bonus until the Koopa puts his Koopa Shell back on his body. In addition, the Shell does damage based on the type of Shell worn, and has a range increment of 30 feet (with a Maximum Effective Range of 90 feet). The Koopa is proficient in throwing his Koopa Shell.
Taking off the Koopa Shell is a Full-Round Action, after which the attack is a Standard Action. The Shell does not return to you after being thrown.

Endurance: A Koopa begins with the Endurance feat as a Bonus Feat at 1st level.

Starting Languages: Common and Koopa
Bonus Languages: Any (except for any secret languages, such as Druidic)

Favored Class: Fighter OR Barbarian

NOTE: Koopa Shells enchanted with the Returning quality return on the Koopa's body, rather than in the Koopa's hand.

Thin-Scaled Koopa Shell (Light Armor)
Cost: 20 gp
Armor/Shield Bonus: +1
Max Dexterity Bonus: +8
Arcane Spell Failure: 0%
Weight: 8 lbs.
Damage: 1d4 Bludgeoning

Green-Scale Koopa Shell (Light Armor)
Cost: 400 gp
Armor/Shield Bonus: +4
Maximum Dexterity Bonus: +4
Armor Check Penalty: -2
Arcane Spell Failure: 20%
Weight: 16 lbs.
Damage: 1d6 Bludgeoning

Red Koopa Shell (Medium Armor)
Cost: 800 gp
Armor/Shield Bonus: +5
Maximum Dexterity Bonus: +3
Armor Check Penalty: -4
Arcane Spell Failure: 25%
Weight: 24 lbs.
Damage: 1d8 Bludgeoning

Koopa BombShell (Medium Armor)
Cost: 1,600 gp
Armor/Shield Bonus: +6
Maximum Dexterity Bonus: +0
Armor Check Penalty: -6
Arcane Spell Failure: 45%
Weight: 40 lbs.
Damage: 1d10 Blugdeoning
Also, any character/creature within 10 feet of the aimed square must make a Reflex Saving Throw (DC 10 + 1/2 of Koopa's HD + Strength Modifier). A failure results in the target taking an additional 1d10 fire damage, while a success has him take 1/2 damage. The shell is destroyed when thrown, regenerating itself back together in 4 minutes.

Black Koopa Shell (Heavy Armor)
Cost: 6,000 gp
Armor/Shield Bonus: +8
Maximum Dexterity Bonus: +1
Armor Check Penalty: -6
Arcane Spell Failure: 35%
Weight: 34 lbs.

NOTE: Koopa Shells are similar in material to Adamantium, and ALL Koopa Shells are considered to be made of Adamantium.

ParaKoopa Wings
Cost: +8,000 gp
Weight: +N/A
Effect: Wings have been magically applied to your Koopa Shell, without having to maintain concentration, as if affected by a fly spell. He can fly as much as he wants to per day in this way.

Shell Spikes
Cost: +100 gp
Weight: +10 lbs.
Some Koopa have spikes added to their Koopa Shell, which allows you to deal Piercing damage on a successful grapple attack, or deal Piercing damage AND of Bludgeoning damage when throwing your Koopa Shell. The spikes count as a martial weapon. If you are not proficient with them, you take a -4 penalty on grapple checks when you try to use them. You can also make a regular melee attack (or off-hand attack) with the spikes, and they count as a light weapon in this case. (You can’t also make an attack with armor spikes if you have already made an attack with another off-hand weapon, and vice versa.)
An enhancement bonus to a Koopa Shell does not improve the spikes’ effectiveness, but the spikes can be made into magic weapons in their own right.

Thickened Koopa Shell
Cost: x2
Weight: x2
Armor/Shield Bonus: (Base Armor Bonus of Applied Koopa Shell) x1.5 (E.G. Thickened Green Koopa Shell gives a +6 bonus instead of a +4)
Maximum Dexterity Modifier: (Base Koopa Shell Max Dex) -2
Armor Check Penalty: (Base Koopa Shell Penalty) -4
Arcane Spell Failure: (Base Koopa She ASF) +20%
Weight: (Base Koopa Shell Weight) x2

Koopa Shell of Magic
Cost: +50,000
Armor/Shield Bonus: -2 (minimum of +0)
Maximum Dexterity Bonus: +2 (maximum of +8)
Armor Check Penalty: +2 (Maximum of +0)
Arcane Spell Failure: -10% (Maximum of 0%)
Effect: When wearing this Koopa Shell, you can use certain spell-like abilities, which use a number of charges. This has 40 Charges per day, used for these spell-like abilities. Caster Level is considered to be a 10th level Sorcerer, for the purposes of Spell Penetration.
Magic Missile; 5 missiles (1d4+1 damage per missile, maximum of 5d4+5); 1 Charge.
Scorching Ray; 3 rays Touch Attack (4d6 fire damage per ray, maximum of 12d6); 2 Charges
Lightning Bolt; 1 bolt (10d6 electricity damage); DC 18 Reflex Save; 3 charges.
Resiliant Sphere; 10 ft. radius sphere around target (Holds target for duration); DC 19 Reflex Save; 4 charges.
Cold of Cold; 60 ft. cone of frost (15d6 cold damage); DC 20 Reflex Save; 5 charges.

Koopa Shell Attack
Benefit: As part of a Charge Attack, you can attack with your Koopa Shell, spinning rapidly as you hit your enemies. This attack deals the same amount of damage that your Koopa Shell deals, as if you were using your Throw Koopa Shell ability. You do not need to remove your Koopa Shell to use this attack, and you must succeed on a DC 15 Fortitude Saving Throw. A failure on the Saving Throw makes you Dazed from the spinning until the end of your next turn.

Random Starting Age
Adulthood: 12
Basic Classes: +1d4
Trained Classed: +1d6
Advanced Classes: +2d6

Aging Effects
Adulthood: 12 Years
Middle Age (-1 Strength, -1 Dexterity, -1 Constitution, +1 Intelligence, +1 Wisdom, +1 Charisma): 60 Years
Old Age (-2 Strength, -2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, +1 Intelligence, +1 Wisdom, +1 Charisma): 90 Years
Venerable Age (-3 Strength, -3 Dexterity, -3 Constitution, +1 Intelligence, +1 Wisdom, +1 Charisma): 120 Years
Maximum Age: +2d20 Years

Random Height and Weight
Male Base Height: 3' 7"
Male Height Modifier: +2d4
Male Base Weight: 130 lbs.
Male Weight Modifier: x(2d6) lbs.

Female Base Height: 3' 5"
Female Height Modifier: +2d4
Female Base Weight: 130 lbs.
Female Weight Modifier: x(2d6) lbs.

The dice roll given in the Height Modifier column determines the character’s extra height beyond the base height. That same number multiplied by the dice roll or quantity given in the Weight Modifier column determines the character’s extra weight beyond the base weight.

Ability Score Increases. Your Constitution score increases by 2, while your Strength score by 1.
Age. Koopa age in a similar manner to Humans, but become fully mature at 12 years of age. They have an average lifespan of 160 years.
Alignment. Koopa don't prefer any alignment, the best and the worst being within the Koopa population.
Size. Koopa, like dwarves, are short yet stout. Standing on two legs, they can stand around 3'9" to 4'1" on average, and weighs around 142 lbs on average. Your size is Medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet. Your speed is not reduced when wearing Heavy Armor.
Stability. You always have advantage on Saving Throws to resist forced movement and being knocked prone. While prone however, this becomes a Disadvantage.
Koopa Shells. You are proficient in Koopa Shells, both used as armor and weapons. You can only have one Koopa Shell at a time (most Koopa preferring the one they had since childhood), but you add the Koopa Shell of your choice to your starting equipment. Only the Koopa are proficient in the Koopa Shells, no other race being able to gain proficiency.
Languages. You can understand, speak, and are literate in the Common and Koopa languages.

Green-Scale Koopa Shell (Light Armor)
Cost: 40 gp
Armor Class (When Worn/After Attack): 12 + Dexterity Modifier / 10 + Dexterity Modifier
Armor Check Penalty: N/A
Weight: 12 lbs.
Range: 30 feet.
Damage: 1d6 + Strength Modifier Bludgeoning

Red Koopa Shell (Light Armor)
Cost: 80 gp
Armor Class (Worn/After Attack): 14 + Dexterity Modifier / 10 + Dexterity Modifier
Armor Check Penalty: N/A
Weight: 18 lbs.
Damage: 1d8 + Strength Modifier Bludgeoning

Koopa BombShell (Medium Armor)
Cost: Very Rare magic item.
Armor Class (Wearing Shell): 14 + Dexterity Modifier (Maximum: +2)
Armor Check Penalty: Disadvantage
Weight: 30 lbs.
Also, any character/creature within 10 feet of the aimed square must make a Dexterity Saving Throw (DC 6 + 1/2 of Koopa's HD). A failure results in the target taking an additional 1d8 fire damage, while a success has him take 1/2 damage. The shell is destroyed when thrown, regenerating itself back together in 4 minutes.

Black Koopa Shell (Medium Armor)
Cost: 600 gp
Armor Class (Worn/After Attack): 16 + Dexterity Modifier (Maximum Modifier: +2) / 10 + Dexterity Modifier
Armor Check Penalty: Disadvantage
Weight: 34 lbs.
Damage: 1d10 + Strength Modifier Bludgeoning

ParaKoopa Wings
Cost: Rare magic item.
Weight: +N/A
Effect: Wings have been magically applied to your Koopa Shell, without having to maintain concentration. This grants a fly speed of 30 feet.

Shell Spikes
Cost: +20 gp
Weight: +4 lbs.
Some Koopa have spikes added to their Koopa Shell, which allows you to deal Piercing damage on a successful grapple attack, or deal Piercing damage instead of bludgeoning damage when throwing your Koopa Shell. The spikes count as a martial weapon. You can also make a regular melee attack (or off-hand attack) with the spikes, and they count as a light weapon in this case. (You can’t also make an attack with armor spikes if you have already made an attack with another off-hand weapon, and vice versa.)
An enhancement bonus to a Koopa Shell does not improve the spikes’ effectiveness, but the spikes can be made into magic weapons in their own right.

Thickened Koopa Shell
Armor/Shield Bonus: +2 (Maximum Dexterity: +2 OR 0 (if using this on a Black Koopa Shell).
Armor Check Penalty: Disadvantage, if not granted already.
Weight: X x2

Thealtruistorc
2014-10-25, 08:17 PM
Why are koopas the only race that can gain proficiency in weaponizing shells? Everyone uses them in Mario Kart.

Otherwise, I like the race. They seem fun to play (though you forgot base speed on the 3.5 one).

Ralcos
2014-10-26, 10:35 AM
Why are koopas the only race that can gain proficiency in weaponizing shells? Everyone uses them in Mario Kart.

Otherwise, I like the race. They seem fun to play (though you forgot base speed on the 3.5 one).

I was trying to emulate the abilities of the Koopa followers you can gain in the Paper Mario games, where only those Koopas could use their Shells as weapons.

Ralcos
2014-10-26, 11:04 AM
UPDATED: Made it easier to read the Koopa Racial Traits, Added the 5e Racial Traits and Koopa Shell rules.

BRKNdevil
2014-10-26, 12:01 PM
in Regards to 5e, your first two koopa shells would be considered Light armor due to the lack of a restriction on Dex and your black one is considered Medium
Your wings would be just straight up a magic item and rare sounds about right, though some may argue very rare.
Its resistance to being moved seems weird, I always felt that they where the easiest to push around. Maybe a disadvantage to those checks while prone? I mean i kicked koopas around all the time.

Ralcos
2014-10-26, 12:44 PM
in Regards to 5e, your first two koopa shells would be considered Light armor due to the lack of a restriction on Dex and your black one is considered Medium
Your wings would be just straight up a magic item and rare sounds about right, though some may argue very rare.
Its resistance to being moved seems weird, I always felt that they where the easiest to push around. Maybe a disadvantage to those checks while prone? I mean i kicked koopas around all the time.

That IS true.
Will make the modifiacations now.

Ralcos
2014-10-26, 12:46 PM
UPDATED:
Changed the Koopa Shells (5e Rules) to fit appropriate armor types.
Adjusted 5e equipment numbers.
Added additional language to Koopa's Stability ability.

Any ideas/advice/suggestions/criticisms?

ReturnOfTheKing
2014-10-26, 08:11 PM
Perhaps the Koopa Troopas could be a sub-race in 5e?

Then again, that requires multiple sub-races to exist, so that's normal Koopas and not-normal Koopas, which doesn't make much sense to me.

How about a large, Bowser-esque or Bowser Jr.-esque sub-race?

I dunno, just a few thoughts…

Ralcos
2014-10-26, 09:21 PM
Perhaps the Koopa Troopas could be a sub-race in 5e?

Then again, that requires multiple sub-races to exist, so that's normal Koopas and not-normal Koopas, which doesn't make much sense to me.

How about a large, Bowser-esque or Bowser Jr.-esque sub-race?

I dunno, just a few thoughts…

The way I witnessed the games (and what I read on the wiki... Yes, there is a wiki), the different "races" of Koopa are literally just different shells of the Koopa Troopa.
I'll think about making the Troopa a 5e subrace,but I'm not sure it's guaranteed.

Ralcos
2014-10-27, 11:36 AM
Added the Koopa BombShell! Super Mario Land, anyone?

Debihuman
2014-10-29, 02:30 AM
I can only comment on the 3.5 version of the Koopa. I like them but the racial traits need some work. You need to say what their Type is. They seem to be Humanoids but should have the Koopa subtype in that case. Don't assume that we know what the Type your creature is without a stat block.

Is the Endurance feat a bonus feat in 3.5? You need to distinguish between a feat that must be taken at first level and one that is a bonus feat at first level. I would guess this is a bonus feat but your language is vague on this matter.

The Reflex saving throw for the Koopa Bomb Shell is missing an ability modifier. It looks like it should be strength-based.

This looks to be a race that has no level adjustment but I'm less confident of that.

What is the maximum range that a Koopa can throw its shell? Since this is a lot like giant's ability to throw rocks, you should probably follow that text.. The ability should be extraordinary as well. I recommend no more than 3 range increments for maximum distance. Being able to throw the armor 90 feet is extremely useful (especially since this competes with ranged weapons).

Removing a shell and throwing it means you lose your armor bonus until you regain your shell and don it. Nowhere do you state that the shell automatically returns to the koopa when it is thrown. It should be a full-round action to remove the armor and a standard action to throw it,and that's being very, very generous. Normally getting out of a breast plate takes 1 minute (10 rounds). Donning a shell should also be a full-round action but it can be donned hastily as a standard action The armor check penalty and armor bonus for hastily donned armor are each 1 point worse than normal. This breaks the economy of action to an extent but doesn't hamper the koopa too much.

Also, giving away free shell armor is a BAD idea. Why wouldn't they all just take the most expensive armor, sell it and buy cheaper shell armor and use the remainder to buy magic items and other weapons? That's just cheesy. I recommend that you only allow them to take the thin-scaled koopa shell as their starting shell.

Debby

Ralcos
2014-10-29, 10:37 AM
UPDATED (based on DebiHuman's Suggestions. Thanx!):
Koopa Shells can be thrown with a 30 foot Range increment (with a maximum of 90). Also, Action Economy for the Koopa using the Throw Koopa Shell abilitty is modified (Full-Round Action to remove the Shell, and Standard Action to throw it).
Koopa BombShell now has a Strength-based Save DC.
Koopa (3.5) has a racial feat! Enjoy!

Mangles
2014-10-31, 06:15 AM
Throw Koopa Shell: As a Standard Action, a Koopa can throw his Koopa Shell (if he is wearing one) as if it was a thrown weapon. When thrown, the Koopa Shell does not give its’ Armor Class bonus until the Koopa’s next turn. In addition, the Shell does damage based on the type of Shell worn, and has a range increment of 30 feet (with a Maximum Effective Range of 90 feet). The Koopa is proficient in throwing his Koopa Shell.
Taking off the Koopa Shell is a Full-Round Action, after which the attack is a Standard Action. The Shell does not return to you after being thrown.

This says that the Shell does not give its' armour bonus until the Koopa's next turn, alluding to the fact that it would give it the next turn even if it is not equipped or anywhere near you. I recommend removing this line. You later state that you have to remove the armour to throw it and once unequipped it should be assumed that it doesn't have it's AC applied.

Thickened Koopa Shell
Armor/Shield Bonus: X x1.5 (E.G. Thickened Green Koopa Shell gives a +6 bonus instead of a +4)
Maximum Dexterity Modifier: X -2
Armor Check Penalty: X -4
Arcane Spell Failure: X +20%
Weight: X x2

This was really confusing at first because you change convention. Don't put X x2 and also X -2 and then just x2. I thought you were multiplying the dex mod by -2 and that would make it crazy bad. Instead just remove all X and leave the multiplier sign or modifier. If you really need to then add a text clarification to say that these modify the base value or use the word base instead of the letter X.

Shell Spikes
Cost: +100 gp
Weight: +10 lbs.
Some Koopa have spikes added to their Koopa Shell, which allows you to deal Piercing damage on a successful grapple attack, or deal Piercing damage instead of bludgeoning damage when throwing your Koopa Shell. The spikes count as a martial weapon. If you are not proficient with them, you take a -4 penalty on grapple checks when you try to use them. You can also make a regular melee attack (or off-hand attack) with the spikes, and they count as a light weapon in this case. (You can’t also make an attack with armor spikes if you have already made an attack with another off-hand weapon, and vice versa.)

Why not both Piercing and Bludgeoning on a thrown attack. Its like a morningstar you throw after all.

Suggestion: Adding in a special text to the shells that allows returning shells equip as armour rather then appear in the throwers hands at the throwers behest.

Ralcos
2014-10-31, 08:44 AM
UPDATED
Ideas based on what Mangles recommended.