PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help equiping these characters for battle

dantiesilva
2014-10-25, 01:25 PM
While building a character for a gestalt game i was looking threw the many different books I owned and came across the Warchief PrC in the Miniatures handbook. At first I was going to use it because of the tribal frenzy ability, then realized that it only worked on creatures of the same race as you. And well there were only two humans and I planned on being a Goliath. So instead of scraping the entire build I put it off to the side as a side project to pick up at a later time.

As you can see by reading this I have opened the book back up on him and his bodyguards ( As the Devoted bodyguard ability was very interesting) and have come here seeking advice on how to equip them now. All books are allowed for this and it is standard WBL. Also of note, they both have really bad AC, one more so then the other. When you are thinking of equipment please ignore armor as it will save money in the long run if they didn't use it, allowing them instead to have more powerful weapons and items for example. Thank you in advance, and without further ado I give to you my Tribal leader (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=1042231), and his two loyal bodyguards (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=1042581).

OldTrees1
2014-10-25, 02:17 PM
Nice. Is this PC WBL or NPC WBL? I will assume PC for the leader(110K) and NPC for the Bodyguards(21K each).

Since they have low armor, investing in miss chances is an early priority I am thinking:
Ring of Blinking[SRD](At Will, Standard Action, Blink for 7 rounds) 27K for the leader
+1 Blurring Armor[MiC](3/day, Swift Action, Blur for 5 rounds) 4K+masterwork armor cost for the 2 bodyguards.

Next you want flying since you are above 6th level:
Winged Mask[MoF](At Will, Standard Action, Fly for 5 rounds) 13K for the leader
No good options in the bodyguard's price range

Since you are much higher than 3rd level you will want special sensing/true seeing of some power:
Scout's Headband[MIC](1/day, Standard Action, True Seeing for 1 minute) 3400gp for all 3 characters

Total costs so far:
43,400/110,000 for the leader
7,400/21,000 for each bodyguard

The leader can afford a +5 weapon without spending too much(although it would still eat a lot of gold). The Bodyguards are limited to +2 weapons for their wealth. There are no +1 weapon abilities I would recommend so I would just get the Bodyguards +1 weapons. For the leader I would reccomend a +1 Transmuting weapon, or a +1 Speed weapon, or a +1 Transmuting Vampiric weapon, or a +1 Transmuting Speed weapon
+1 Weapon 2K + masterwork costs for the bodyguards
+1 Transmuting weapon (+3 weapon costs 18K) <----My opinion for the leader
+1 Speed weapon (+4 weapon costs 32K)
+1 Transmuting Speed weapon (+6 weapon costs 72K)
Transmuting[MIC]Ignore DR for 5 rounds after the first attack.
Speed[SRD]Extra Attack at full BAB.

Belt of Giant Strength +6 for the leader (less if you went with a more expensive weapon)
Gauntlets of Ogre Strength +2 for the bodyguards

Total costs so far:
97,400/110,000 for the leader
13,400/21,000 for each bodyguard

Cloaks of Resistance +2 for the bodyguards
Cloak of Resistance +3 for the leader

Total costs so far:
106,400/110,000 for the leader
17,400/21,000 for each bodyguard

dantiesilva
2014-10-25, 02:34 PM
Would Greater dispelling weapons be worth it? [MIC] (+2 enchantment, 1 from dispeling, and another for greater dispelling)

This would allow anything hit to face a chance at having all its buffs removed, so even the most powerful character could face trouble if hit.

It would cost 18,000gp per sword to get it accomplished but it may be worth it.

edit : Also the way you did it is fine, I personally like the idea of the leader having a PCs WBL while the bodyguards have a NPC's

OldTrees1
2014-10-25, 02:53 PM
Would Greater dispelling weapons be worth it? [MIC] (+2 enchantment, 1 from dispeling, and another for greater dispelling)

This would allow anything hit to face a chance at having all its buffs removed, so even the most powerful character could face trouble if hit.

It would cost 18,000gp per sword to get it accomplished but it may be worth it.

edit : Also the way you did it is fine, I personally like the idea of the leader having a PCs WBL while the bodyguards have a NPC's

Yes Greater Dispelling is also a nice choice. Maybe buy 2 weapons(+1 Transmuting and +1 Greater Dispelling for a cost of 36K rather than 50K) This would probably be financed by dropping the Belt from +6 to +4.

Sidenote: If you ever run into problems with Fear or Stun, get 1 Banner of the Storm's Eye[MIC] 15,015 gp to protect your whole 3 man group. (fold your cloak of resistance into the banner for no extra cost)

dantiesilva
2014-10-25, 03:28 PM
Well I am slowly making my three man group slightly larger. Just got done making the tribe shaman (Druid 10/Cleric 9 [Strength and Family domains]) and he has a dire lion animal companion. I can not see a tribe having arcane magic besides the bard which is in the leaders build. And the grunts of the tribe should be no higher then 5th level ( Perhaps barbarians/Fighters to get feat chains out like crazy?)

As I said this is only a side project, though I may use them in a game I play if I ever do a Wargame again. After all having two raging bodyguards in the 50's for strength and two Dire lions, one casting spells and everything else and you have a lot of fun. And because the shaman is of the same race he also gets the +10 str bonus from tribal frenzy from the leader, as well as the inspire courage bonuses.