PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Gearing up!

Grizzled Gryphon
2014-10-25, 10:07 PM
Hey everyone. Just wondering what you would do in this situation. I have a human arcanist, level 6, and he has 16,000 gp of gear coming to him. What would you equip this character with? I have a tentative list of stuff, mostly consisting of scrolls that he copied over to his spell book's. But, I am not so sure it was the best way to go.

So, let me know how you would gear this guy out. Not sure what other info you might need, so ask away!

Psyren
2014-10-25, 10:47 PM
What gear do you already have?

For starters, you will probably want a Headband of Vast Intelligence +2 (4k) and possibly a cloak of resistance +2 (4k.) That should keep your DCs and saves up to/above par.

For the rest, try to make scrolls of any situational spells (like divinations) the party might want but that you won't need to prepare every day. Consider also a metamagic rod - lesser extend is 3k and can help you keep your longer-lasting defenses, like Mage Armor, up all day with only one casting.

avr
2014-10-25, 10:59 PM
IME a Headband of Vast Intelligence +2, Cloak of Resistance +3 (if allowed; sometimes a limit of half your starting gear on one item is applied), a handy haversack and some scrolls, alchemical stuff and mundane necessities. If you're travelling much get a horse or other mount as well.

If said limit applies make it a +2 cloak, more scrolls and maybe other defensive items like a ring of protection +1, an amulet of natural armor +1 and a quick runner's shirt.

That's assuming a pretty generic arcanist. If you've got a good charisma as some arcanists will you might want to squeeze a circlet of persuasion in there. If you've got some special focus (summoning, polymorphing etc.), maybe other stuff depending on what that focus is.

Grizzled Gryphon
2014-10-25, 11:44 PM
First off, I should have mentioned that I can only spend up to 4,000 gp on any given item.

As for what I have already:
Headband of Vast Intellect +2
Bookplate of Recall
Bookmark of Deception
Lesser Extend Spell Rod
Lesser Elemental Spell Rod
Handy Haversack
And a pile of spells.

I picked up the elemental spell rod for the diversity, so when I have Fireball prepared, I can still use it against the red dragon.

The bookplate and bookmark looked good at the time, but now I wonder.

Now, I am done with the character, and his AC is 11. He has no weapon at all.

No horse, as the party has a much better form of transportation, I am told.

I am left wondering if I should drop the book stuff and the elemental rod, and get some items of protection?

Psyren
2014-10-26, 12:08 AM
Wait, you have all that and you're getting 16k to spend? That's going to put you well over WBL for a 6th-level character.

All the items I suggested are 4k or less but you have some of them. Yes, protective items would be next; keep in mind you should be extending Mage Armor every morning with your rod and that will boost your AC considerably, so focus on natural armor, shield and deflection bonuses.

Seffbasilisk
2014-10-26, 12:56 AM
If you're relying on your AC, you're wizarding wrong. I'd go with a <strike>Shadow Cloak (DotU) 5.5k</strike>, Anklets of Translocation, a Pear of Power II, and Heward's Fortifying Bedroll (CMage).

Try to think non-linearly. Things that wouldn't be set aside easily at the first decent loot.

The Extend rod was an excellent call though.

Grizzled Gryphon
2014-10-26, 12:28 PM
Wait, you have all that and you're getting 16k to spend? Most assuredly not! That is what I spent my 16k on. I was just wondering if I should have spent it otherwise.