PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Question about the legality of this little trick

Bad Wolf
2014-10-25, 10:55 PM
Okay, so say I'm a sorcerer who just went on a big adventure with my Druid pal. We found a lot of gold, let's say about 60,000 each (not really relevant, but for those who want every single detail). We Plane Shift over to Sigil to spend it. I buy two scrolls of Wish. I have the Druid cast Sirine's Grace on me. I then use the Wish scrolls to do two things:

1: Make the spell permanent.
2: Change it to an Extraordinary ability.

Let's say I'm 18 level, so I cast another Wish to change the Charisma bonus to an untyped bonus.

Is that rules-legal?

eggynack
2014-10-25, 11:00 PM
It's wish, and it's being used for a greater than ordinary ability, so you're pretty strictly in DM adjudication territory on how it's to be handled.

Phelix-Mu
2014-10-25, 11:02 PM
All three seem to fall under the clause about wishes that exceed the scope of explicitly defined things. They may be possible, but the spell says that using wish for those purposes may be twisted in ways that the caster didn't intend. Such twisting is pretty much always a bad thing, and should be avoided when possible (though it can be interesting plot hooks).

Uses two and three are also very powerful effects. Ex abilities are typically very mundane-feeling, and hard to get rid of. And going from a typed bonus to an untyped bonus can be a huge benefit, numerically speaking.

Wish used as an improved version of permanency is pretty tame, by comparison, if similarly prone to abuse.

Flickerdart
2014-10-25, 11:04 PM
Making effects permanent is the domain of Alter Reality, an SDA. Wish, powerful though it may be, pales in comparison to a divine ability.

Bad Wolf
2014-10-26, 02:05 AM
Hmm, okay then. Thanks everyone. Guess I'll just try it out anyway.

The Random NPC
2014-10-26, 02:17 AM
Making effects permanent is the domain of Alter Reality, an SDA. Wish, powerful though it may be, pales in comparison to a divine ability.

Not quite, it's also the domain of Permanency (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/permanency.htm), a Sor/Wis spell. Wish is capable of replicating it, and personally I'd let it work off list for many spells.

Phelix-Mu
2014-10-26, 06:21 AM
Not quite, it's also the domain of Permanency (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/permanency.htm), a Sor/Wis spell. Wish is capable of replicating it, and personally I'd let it work off list for many spells.

Though this spell is subject to dispel magic/AMFs in such a way that it isn't always an advisable investment (depending on how often those effects are being tossed around at your table). That said, it's definitely a cheaper option than potentially ineffective or backfiring wishes, depending on how the DM prices the spells made permanent.

Also note that the psionic power incarnate is the psionic version of permanency. Similar effect.