PDA

View Full Version : Capoeira in Forgotten Realms

Fenryr
2014-10-25, 11:06 PM
Hello for hi!

A character of mine has Perform: Dance and I want to use Capoeira as a kata to focus every morning (a daily routine). I know it's actually a martial art but 'm not gonna take break dance as a dance in Forgotten Realms (perhaps in Eberron). Now the question: it's possible for Capoeira to exist in Forgotten Realms? Any particular region or ethnic group? If Capoeira is not possible, any similar dance available?

Red Fel
2014-10-25, 11:24 PM
Capoeira specifically may or may not exist, but the idea of a combination of martial skill and performance does - that's Perform (Weapon Drill). It functions like a Perform skill check for martial characters.

Perhaps if you switched the skill a bit, would your DM allow you to switch Perform (Dance) to Perform (Weapon Drill)? I'd allow a modified version, Perform (Capoeira), that works as either a Perform (Weapon Drill) or Perform (Dance) check, but that's because I like to reward creativity.

Fatal Rose
2014-10-26, 05:26 AM
You can use Battle Dancer from the dragon compendium.

Mystral
2014-10-26, 06:24 AM
The scarlet mummers, battle clerics of Lliira, Goddess of festivities and joy, are known for practicing elaborate dances during their fighting, relying on kicks and bladed boots to kill their opponents. Their goddess is mostly peacefull and abhors battle, but the scarlet mummers are an exception. It is their duty to protect the faithfull of Lliira and to kill servants of Loviathar. (Clerics of Loviathar have killed the lover of Lliira during the time of troubles, and Lliira kind of took it personally, I guess)

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rl/20061115a

Sadly, I don't think there is any prestige class for scarlet mummers. But the fluff is right there.

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-10-26, 06:29 AM
Capoeira evolved as a way for slaves to practice combat undetected. So anyplace with slavery, serfs, or other citizens that were not legally allowed to defend themselves would be a logical place for this combat style. I would suggest Calimshan.