PDA

View Full Version : Moment of Prescience Clarification

RoboEmperor
2014-10-26, 12:22 AM
I've been researching this spell but it seems like a lot of people have different interpretations about what this spell can do.

1. Can you use MoP on a finger of death? I know you can if you're receiving the finger of death, but if you're casting it, can you MoP it? After all it is a "saving throw" check.

2. Can you use MoP to overcome spell resistance? Some people think you can from my google search, after all, spell resistance check is like an attack roll for spells.

Psyren
2014-10-26, 12:27 AM
1) I'm not sure what you're expecting to happen if you use it when you cast Finger of Death. Are you trying to interfere with the enemy's saving throw in some way? (If so, the answer is no.)

2) No, it says nothing about caster level checks. Caster level checks don't fit any of the categories in the spell. (They are not attack rolls.)

RoboEmperor
2014-10-26, 01:26 AM
Yeah I thought so. Just wanted to be sure, one player in my group directed to me to this thread: http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2lzzp?Sorcerer-8th-level-Spell where one of the posters claimed it could pierce spell resistance. He was also claiming how you can add the +25 to your finger of death roll because it's a "saving throw" roll.

Psyren
2014-10-26, 04:07 AM
Someone later on that page (Phasics) points out, like I did, that MoP does not cover CL checks.

As for Finger of Death, MoP can help you resist one (by modifying your saving throw), but the caster of the effect does not make any rolls that MoP could modify.

RoboEmperor
2014-10-26, 05:12 AM
Alright thanks! Hopefully your posts will convince the stubborn player >.<
Only one guy pointed out MoP doesn't help with SR check on that thread, so he kept claiming it's a difference of opinion

StreamOfTheSky
2014-10-26, 09:44 AM
Alright thanks! Hopefully your posts will convince the stubborn player >.<
Only one guy pointed out MoP doesn't help with SR check on that thread, so he kept claiming it's a difference of opinion

Fortunately, the majority doesn't get to determine facts. :smallwink: