PDA

View Full Version : Does bard or sorcerer better synergize with a warlock dip?

saintstardust
2014-10-26, 02:17 AM
For a 2 or 3 level dip into warlock, does bard or sorcerer better synergize with the boost in cantrip damage, a few more spells, proficiencies, class features, etc.?

Eslin
2014-10-26, 02:20 AM
For a 2 or 3 level dip into warlock, does bard or sorcerer better synergize with the boost in cantrip damage, a few more spells, proficiencies, class features, etc.?

Sorcerer. The ability to cast two eldritch blasts a round for 11-56 damage each (depending on level) is amazingly useful.

Kyutaru
2014-10-26, 02:22 AM
I'm still pushing the Paladin/Warlock/Sorcerer as being the ultimate solo juggernaut. Just need the DMG to release and we'll see just how ridiculous I can make one.

saintstardust
2014-10-26, 02:35 AM
I'm still pushing the Paladin/Warlock/Sorcerer as being the ultimate solo juggernaut. Just need the DMG to release and we'll see just how ridiculous I can make one.

Oh that's interesting. Paladin 6 I'm guessing?

Kyutaru
2014-10-26, 02:47 AM
Oh that's interesting. Paladin 6 I'm guessing?

Heck yeah! Immunities, saving throws, armor, healing, and CHARISMA UP THE WAZOO!!! Radiant and Force damage at your beck and call, the least resisted stuff in the game. Sorcerer buffs just to make you even more awesome while you slice, dice, smite, blast, and nuke your enemies.

saintstardust
2014-10-26, 10:10 AM
Heck yeah! Immunities, saving throws, armor, healing, and CHARISMA UP THE WAZOO!!! Radiant and Force damage at your beck and call, the least resisted stuff in the game. Sorcerer buffs just to make you even more awesome while you slice, dice, smite, blast, and nuke your enemies.

Missing out on wish though...

TheOOB
2014-10-26, 11:07 AM
Bard, but honestly I don't think the dip will be useful to most characters. The enhanced Eldritch blast is a useful auto attack, but it does not in and of itself make a character strong at doing damage, as it's no stronger than the auto attacks of say a fighter or a rogue. The other abilities a warlock gains on a dip are useful, but nothing a high level bard or sorc can't dupicate with their own abilities.

For the sorcerer, they already do fine damage, in fact they have some of the highest damage output of any class. It's not always a good idea to get less spells and lose your most powerful spell slots for 85% of your career so you can do more damage when you don't have spell slots.

For a bard, yes, you do lack in damage, so a decent auto attack wouldn't be a terrible idea(though you can get one that's just fine with the college of valor), you're still losing your most powerful spells for most your career, and you get so many awesome actions you can take you won't be defaulting to a cantrip in battle all that often as you get higher levels.

Endarire
2014-10-26, 11:13 AM
Lightfoot Halfling Bard1/Warlock2/Bard (Lore)+17.

Yes, for campaigns and scenarios focused on higher levels, you're probably better going full Bard. One thing that hasn't been mentioned in these arguments is how powerful Warlock2 is as a dip at such early levels, and how unlikely many are to reach level 10+. Wish may come one day, but Bard1/Warlock2 comes pretty immediately.

edge2054
2014-10-27, 08:58 AM
Quickened EB + Hex puts out a lot of damage for very little resources.

Endarire
2014-10-27, 06:32 PM
Hex is already a bonus action. Do quickened spells and hex combine that way?

MaxWilson
2014-10-27, 06:42 PM
Hex is already a bonus action. Do quickened spells and hex combine that way?

Only if you are already maintaining Hex on that target from a previous round. You can't shift Hex on the same round you cast Quickened EB + regular EB, if that's what you're asking. Hex is primarily useful for focusing damage on a big guy, not for killing lots of little guys. (Hex also makes it easier to grapple/Web enemies, because you can give disadvantage on one ability check, e.g. Strength.)

Rezby
2014-10-27, 08:30 PM
Hex is fantastic, esp if you or your party has got plenty of save or suck abilities. If nothing else, disadvantage enemy caster's concentration checks!

MaxWilson
2014-10-27, 08:33 PM
Hex is fantastic, esp if you or your party has got plenty of save or suck abilities. If nothing else, disadvantage enemy caster's concentration checks!

Oooh, nice idea. Thanks!

Any other ability checks worth disadvantaging? I could only think of Athletics.

edge2054
2014-10-27, 08:46 PM
Aren't saves saves and ability checks ability checks? Hex to make someone easier to shove or hide from would work. Hex for concentration I dont believe would.

saintstardust
2014-10-27, 08:52 PM
Aren't saves saves and ability checks ability checks? Hex to make someone easier to shove or hide from would work. Hex for concentration I dont believe would.

Yeah I thought so too

MaxWilson
2014-10-27, 08:58 PM

Saves are not ability checks by RAW although they share the same form. The three kinds of rolls are attack rolls, saving throws, and ability checks. I think you are right that maintaining concentration is a DC 10 Constitution check not save, so too bad, I guess you're better off hexing Strength in combat, or Wisdom outside of combat. (AFB.)

Ferrin33
2014-10-27, 10:03 PM
Saves are not ability checks by RAW although they share the same form. The three kinds of rolls are attack rolls, saving throws, and ability checks. I think you are right that maintaining concentration is a DC 10 Constitution check not save, so too bad, I guess you're better off hexing Strength in combat, or Wisdom outside of combat. (AFB.)

It's a saving throw to maintain concentration upon taking damage, not an ability check.

MaxWilson
2014-10-27, 11:45 PM
It's a saving throw to maintain concentration upon taking damage, not an ability check.

Yeah, you can probably tell that I accidentally wrote that backwards. Should have been "save not check," otherwise it wouldn't be too bad at all, it would be awesome. :)