PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Help: How can we capture a demon?

metabolicjosh
2014-10-26, 12:20 PM
My group will be going against a demon soon. We are level 6, so I dont know how strong the demon will be. I want to capture it, for.... reasons xD. Is it possible? we have time to prepare.

Grizzled Gryphon
2014-10-26, 12:39 PM
The biggest problem you have is it will probably have a spell like ability to teleport. Really common for Demons. Aside from that, if you can knock it unconscious or make it defenseless for a round, then you can tie it up. But, stopping it from doing bad things isn't accomplished with tying it up. Spell like abilities don't require verbal, somatic, or material components, which means they can be used in pretty much any situation. So, unless you need it alive, you may be better off killing it and carrying the important bits in a bag.

Because they need to breath, a bag of holding or portable hole wouldn't work, either. Your only real option is to find a way to negate its magic, and you shouldn't have too much trouble after that.

metabolicjosh
2014-10-26, 01:37 PM
If it helps... I want to give him to a body snatcher xD

Fitz10019
2014-10-26, 04:41 PM
Salt on the tail works like a charm. [Who said charms work?]

Deophaun
2014-10-26, 05:12 PM
Do you know the demon's name? If so, by hiring the services of a spellcaster your battle is already won: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/p/planar-binding

Arbane
2014-10-26, 06:04 PM
The Dimensional Anchor spell is usually a good start. Stops the teleporting.

Grizzled Gryphon
2014-10-26, 07:08 PM
The Dimensional Anchor spell is usually a good start. Stops the teleporting.

They are 6th level, so that is a wee bit out of their league, being a 4th level spell.

Judge_Worm
2014-10-26, 07:45 PM
A cage of silver (or is it cold iron) enchanted with DimAnc.

Arbane
2014-10-27, 01:34 AM
They are 6th level, so that is a wee bit out of their league, being a 4th level spell.

They might be able to afford a scroll. (Or manacles/a cage enchanted with it - but that's likely to break a 6th-level party's budget.)

Does your group have a Monk? Repeated Stunning Fists should be able to keep it in place, if it doesn't fly/teleport away immediately when the PCs show up.

Do you have any way to predict where the demon will be?

Sayt
2014-10-27, 01:55 AM
You'll also want to trick them into entering an inverted Magic Circle Against Chaos or Evil. If it enters, it'll need to test your CL vs it's SR, and if you succeed, it won't be able to bodily cross over the boundary of the Circle.

Abd al-Azrad
2014-10-27, 05:22 AM
I recommend the following:

1: Go on a rampage in nearby Orc village. Orc children should still provide a little bit of XP for you 6th-level dudes.

2: This absurdly Chaotic and Evil act should push your alignments close to CE.

3: The XP gained may be enough to level your team to 7th. If not, repeat.

4: Have your resident arcane caster take Improved Familiar.

5: Choose a Quasit.

Demon captured!

Psyren
2014-10-27, 09:27 AM
You'll also want to trick them into entering an inverted Magic Circle Against Chaos or Evil. If it enters, it'll need to test your CL vs it's SR, and if you succeed, it won't be able to bodily cross over the boundary of the Circle.

That only works if they Call the demon themselves (unlikely at level 6.) A creature that is already here and simply hanging around will not be held by such a circle.

Sayt
2014-10-27, 03:13 PM
Ah, damn, that seems to be right, weird.