PDA

View Full Version : Psionic Artificer, Artificer, and Cleric

Solace of Tides
2014-10-26, 03:14 PM
I've been doing some research into this, but I seem to still be falling short of the answers I am looking for.

- I was wondering if someone would be able to give me some Pros/Cons for going Artificer (X)/Cleric (1)

- Pros/Cons of going Psionic Artificer instead of Artificer, and any general cheese/mechanics, etc. I would need to know.
- Also, is there a way to persist powers? I know of the 3.0 feat, but is that 100% legit in 3.5? I am really looking to stay 100% on this one.
- Would Cleric (1)/Psionic Artificer (X) have any specific Pros/Cons?

Edit: P.S. What does "Psi X" mean?

Phelix-Mu
2014-10-26, 03:29 PM
The legality of the Persist Power is in hot debate. There are two schools of thought, at least:

- XPH updates all aspects of the 3.0 book, as per its introduction on one of the first pages. Thus, stuff from the old book is off-limits.

- Persist Power wasn't specifically updated, so it's valid under the idea that all 3.0 material not specifically reprinted/updated is still valid.

There is a blurb in the back of MIC that basically says that any magic item has a psionic counterpart. This makes the two versions of artificer very similar, but there are still differences, largely because it's an infernally complicated class (because there are a bazillion magic items, not because the class itself is bad).

Urpriest
2014-10-26, 04:02 PM
What's the goal with the Cleric dip? Devotion feats and UMD-less wand use?

Solace of Tides
2014-10-26, 04:23 PM
I want to say that I read somewhere that it was a good idea to dip into it for just the magic domain and that would affect your ability to make cleric spells. Thinking of doing cloistered to get free knowledge domain (i've only briefly looked into devotions, and would not be sure what ones to get/how they would). Also rebuke undead is a nice flare (Lawful Neutral).

Edit: I also live/die by the Lore ability. That stuff is the best.

Urpriest
2014-10-26, 06:03 PM
I want to say that I read somewhere that it was a good idea to dip into it for just the magic domain and that would affect your ability to make cleric spells. Thinking of doing cloistered to get free knowledge domain (i've only briefly looked into devotions, and would not be sure what ones to get/how they would). Also rebuke undead is a nice flare (Lawful Neutral).

Edit: I also live/die by the Lore ability. That stuff is the best.

It doesn't affect your ability to make items based on Cleric spells, since you could already do that. It does mean you don't need UMD to use Wands of Cleric spells, but your UMD should be high anyway.

tyckspoon
2014-10-26, 06:06 PM
Edit: P.S. What does "Psi X" mean?

Highly context-dependent. In a build layout, that would probably be Psion. In reference to a power, it's probably one of the ones where it's basically 'like the spell, but psionic' - eg, Psionic Fly, Psionic Teleport, etc. Anything else? You'd have to tell us where you ran into it.

Solace of Tides
2014-10-26, 08:10 PM
Thanks for all the info so far, it's just what I'm looking for.

I've been looking more into the Psionic Artificer recommended builds, and I've seen a lot of them recommending a 1 level dip in Ardent for the Magic Mantle, and 1 dip into Erudite for the Spell to Power - but that part I also have a question on: with a 1 level dip in Erudite wouldn't the max power known be level 1 for the purpose of translating spells into powers and "learning" them?

Divide by Zero
2014-10-26, 08:31 PM
If it helps, Persistent Power was also printed in Hyperconscious, which is technically 3rd party but was written by Bruce Cordell, who was also one of the writers for the official psionic material.

Urpriest
2014-10-26, 08:40 PM
Thanks for all the info so far, it's just what I'm looking for.

I've been looking more into the Psionic Artificer recommended builds, and I've seen a lot of them recommending a 1 level dip in Ardent for the Magic Mantle, and 1 dip into Erudite for the Spell to Power - but that part I also have a question on: with a 1 level dip in Erudite wouldn't the max power known be level 1 for the purpose of translating spells into powers and "learning" them?

Yeah, I've never seen anyone advised to dip Erudite for that, so probably whoever told you that was mistaken. Note that just having Spell to Power Erudites exist in the world is enough for you (as a Psionic Artificer) to access spells-as-powers, you don't have to be one yourself.

Magic Mantle is either very silly or useless depending on interpretation, so it's not really worthwhile either way unless you're in an especially silly campaign.

Petrocorus
2014-10-26, 09:59 PM
The Cleric dip has several uses.
It gives you proficiency with heavy armor. (Not the Cloistered Cleric variant).
It allows you to use spell trigger / spell completion item without UMD check for cleric spells.
It gives you 1st level spells, just in case.
It gives you 2 domains, 3 for the cloistered cleric.
The Knowledge domain gives all knowledge as class skill, which is good and can be trade with the useful knowledge devotion feat.
The Magic domain allows you to use spell trigger / spell completion item without UMD check for wizard spells. Added to the cleric spells, that means 90% of the spells of the game. Very useful for the blastificer and the buffificer. Allows you not to pump Cha.
The War domain gives you a weapon proficiency.
The Artifice Domain gives you a +4 bonus to all Craft check. Which means you can make masterwork item on a take 10 with only 1 in the skill.
Some other domains (http://home.comcast.net/~ftm3/ASMoNM/domains.html) gives you a bonus feat or have a useful granted power, or a useful corresponding Devotion feat.
It gives you Turn Undead and access to divine feat.

The dip, however is rather taken after the first level. To take advantage on the Arty's skill list and skill point.

Mandatory Artificer Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=skifnivd54dv5g3ll4j1n3rqb4&topic=2829).

Solace of Tides
2014-10-26, 11:08 PM
So a pure Psionic Artificer, as is, is 'tier 0?'

Urpriest
2014-10-27, 09:27 AM
So a pure Psionic Artificer, as is, is 'tier 0?'

Depends on your interpretation, both of the concept of Tier 0 and of how the Psionic Artificer works.