PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class [request] Gnar

sajro
2014-10-26, 04:15 PM
This class is made for a player in a campaign I am going to run, it is an animal campaign

Pequisites:
BAB: 4
Skills: Spot or listen 6 ranks
Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike
Race: Animal
Special: Hands or trunk

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Standard
Rage

1st
+1
+2
+2
+0
Catch Weapon, Natural Attack(+1)
Really Throw Anything

2nd
+2
+3
+3
+0
Uncanny Dodge
Sizeable Rage

3rd
+3
+3
+3
+1
AC bonus
Two-handed Hurl Trick, AC bonus

4th
+4
+4
+4
+1
Improved Uncanny Dodge
Greater Weapon Catch

5th
+5
+4
+4
+1
Untamed Strike
Two-handed Hurl Trick

6th
+6
+5
+5
+2
Natural Attacks(+2)
Dire Rage

Rage Pool:
You have a Rage Pool, this pool is always the same size as your health, and is empty at all times when out of combat, when inside combat it starts to build up, whenever you deal or sustain damage the amount of damage dealt, after any type of damage reduction is added to your Rage Pool, and when the pool is full you enter your rage form.
When in your rage form your ragepool decays a number of points per round equal to your HD, when it reaches zero you fall out of your rage form, and becomes fatigued, and is unable to enter your rage form for 10 minutes.
You cannot end the rage voluntarily, and is forced try and attack something, or move closer to an enemy. When there is no enemies left, you can make a will save (DC 10+HD/2) to attack non-living things.
If you go a round without taking or dealing damage you lose your HD worth of points from your Ragepool

These counts when in your standard form:

Catch weapon:
Catch weapon gained at level 1 allows you to use the snatch arrows feat, without meeting the prereqs, you can catch one projectile or thrown weapon with your reach per round, if it is thrown you can throw it back at the attacker. This is possible to do with a trunk even though the feat normally doesn't allow it.

Natural Attacks:
At level one, one of your natural weapons deal damage as if one size larger, at level 6 it deals damage as if another size larger, for a total of two size grows.

Uncanny Dodge:
You gain Uncanny Dodge at 2nd level this gives you keen senses so you cannot be caught flatfooted aslong as you are awake and able to move, if you already have uncanny dodge you gain Improved uncanny dodge.

AC Bonus:
at 3rd level you add you wis modifiers to your AC, this add to touch but not flatfooted. THis doesnt apply when armored.

improved Uncanny Dodge:
at 4th level you gain improved uncanny dodge wich makes you immune to flanking and only a rouge with 4 more levels of rouge than you have levels in classes that grant improved uncanny dodge + animal levels are able to use flanking to backstap you. If you already have improved uncanny dodge you gain a bonus feat instead.

Untamed Strike:
Your natural attacks count as magic attacks when bypassing DR

These class features count when you are in Rage Form:

Really Throw Anything:
you gain the Throw Anything feat (described in Chapter 3 of complete warrior) as a bonus feat. However, since your rage forms depends on brute strength more than skill, you can throw anything (not just weapons) you can lift as a light load. If the item is an improvised weapon, you takes a —2 penalty on his attack roll instead of the normal —4. Use the rules in Chapter 4 of this book to determine the amount of damage the thrown weapon does.

Sizeable Rage:
Whenever you enter your rage form, you grow a size and gain all the benefits and drawbacks of that.

Two-Handed Hurl trick:
At 3rd and 5th you can choose one of the tricks described below to use.

Area Attack: The character makes an attack roll against a square the target creature occupies (AC 10) rather than the creature itself. Any creature in the square must succeed on a Reflex save (DC 10 + your ranged attack bonus) or take full damage. This ability may only be used with a Huge or larger weapon.

Knockdown Blow: If your attack hits and does damage to any creature smaller than you, the target is rendered prone.

Meteor Strike: As a full-round action, in your rage form you deals extra damage equal to twice your Strength bonus on a successful hit with a thrown weapon.

Overburdened Heave: In the Rage Form you can throw a weapon up to two sizes larger than your size category, or an item that weighs as much as his medium load (so a Large creature with a Strength score of 25 could heave a Gargantuan javelin or a rock weighing up to 533 pounds).

Ranged Power Attack: If the target is within 30 feet, you can use Power Attack with your thrown weapon.

Greater Weapon Catch:
You can catch anything thrown at you, so once per round when a object comes flying inside your reach you can catch and return it to the sender, this can call for at reflex and or strength check. Some objects are too big and can only be deflected and not catched. If it is more than your heavy load in weight or 3 sizes above you, it can only be deflected not caught. The reason you can throw something that large is because they just make you more angry.

Dire Rage:
When entering your Rage form you know becomes a dire version of yourself, you get the look of the dire version of your animal, and you now grows to sizes, and get the benefits and penalties from doing so.

27-10-14

The Ragepool is always the same size as your health.
You lose your HD of points per round in rage from the ragepool and exist rage when it hits zero
You can't exit rage voluntarily only force your self to attack non-living things with a will save.
28-10-14

Changed unarmed damage to improve a natural attack instead.
Wisdom bonus aplys not while armored.
Removed all references to Hulking Hurler
Untamed strike now apply to all natural attacks.

Kamai
2014-10-26, 06:09 PM
I'll look at other things later, but the first things that I notice is that it has no way to change back out of rage form in combat. If you wanted to really copy Gnar, there should be a way to escape rage form.

Secondly, the first level number to hit rage form is basically 1 lowly optimized attack. If someone takes 2 levels in this and gets out, it's going to be too easy to fall into rage form. Maybe instead start with 4*total HD, with maybe it getting easier to go into rage form (and harder to fall out of rage form) at higher levels?

sajro
2014-10-27, 02:11 AM
I will admit that I did not think much about dipping, because I made it for a player in my upcoming campaign and know he would take them all.

But why I forgot to add a way to exist rage I really do not know, I had a way written on my work paper but forgot to write it hear aswell, but that I am going to do in just a minute.

EDIT: Have just made the following changes:
The Ragepool is always the same size as your health.
You lose your HD of points per round in rage from the ragepool and exist rage when it hits zero
You can't exit rage voluntarily only force your self to attack non-living things with a will save.

Oracle_of_Void
2014-10-27, 10:54 AM
A League of Legends class? That's....pretty cool actually. I wish LoL had its own tabletop.

Kamai
2014-10-27, 11:48 AM
Ok, now that I've gotten a better look at this class, my opinions:
1) You should be handing Improved Natural Attack instead of the damaging Unarmed strike. The power unarmed strike's purpose would be to keep a humanoid's base damage competitive with Natural Weapons, not to give a Natural Weapon user another attack. Add in language that allows the feature to stack with both itself, and Improved Natural Attack, and you have a fitting bonus for an animal, instead of an anthropomorphic creature that hulks out.

2) If you're borrowing Snatch Arrows precisely, a creature with a trunk (but no hands) will not be able to use it. You need to add language that's inclusive for that.

3) I doubt you're intending the Wisdom bonus to be added to AC with a heavily armored animal (since I'm assuming the PCs are intelligent). You either want to specify that it only applies in no armor, or that it adds to your Dexterity bonus to your AC (but is still restricted by Max Dexterity). I'd also debate whether this form should have the AC bonus at all, given the inspiration. Honestly, I'd give it Fast Movement: +10ft enhancement bonus to all move speeds, while Mega Gnar keeps the AC bonus.

4) You need to remove all of the Mega Gnar references to Hulking Hurler. On top of that, you need a version of the chart for Really Throw Anything, if you want to extend this as a regular class.

5) While the Hulking Hurler may not have had guidelines on what could be caught, I'd really advise adding some simple guidelines for Greater Weapon Catch. Maybe say you can't catch, and must deflect anything that's one size category larger than you, or that weighs more than you can throw?

6) Untamed Strike should apply to Natural Weapons, not just the unarmed strike. In general, I'm not understanding the focus on Unarmed Strikes on a creature that should be relying on his natural attacks.

As an aside, with some tweaking, this could also be a really fun class to represent someone who's gotten more control over inflicted lycanthropy.

sajro
2014-10-27, 12:34 PM
The reason for the focus un unarmed attacks, is that it was made with Apes as the focus, and they do in The Noble Wild, which we are playing use unarmed strike, so that is the reason for it, but I do understand your point, and I will look into that.

The PC's are intelligent yes, but I never thought of armor, because quite frankly they are not going to get any armor they can wear. But still, I will change it to make it more broad and widely usable.

Ohhh.... Thats embarising, that I hadn't removed those references to hulking hurler.

And the Greater Weapon Catch, is something I am working on.

I will post an update tomorrow or later today with the edits you sugested as non of them compromises my idea, but simply makes them more easily usable and understandable.

So thanks a lot.

sajro
2014-10-28, 03:12 AM
I have just made the changes you suggested Kamai

Changed unarmed damage to improve a natural attack instead.
Wisdom bonus aplys not while armored.
Removed all references to Hulking Hurler
Untamed strike now apply to all natural attacks.