PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Swift actions compilation for a Ruby Knight Vindicator

Keldrin
2014-10-26, 04:36 PM
Hi,
I have been searching the web as best I can, which I admit is probably poorly (stupid post concussion syndrome!).

My RKV has gotten to 9th level now, so I've been trying for several sessions now.

BTW, my table has agreed you only get two swift actions, using Divine Impetus.

I have Travel Devotion and White Raven Tactics , and have used both, but not often at the same time.

Honestly I'm at a bit of a loss trying to find cleric spells or other maneuvers to use this class feature effectively.

None of the handbooks or other threads I can find seem to have a list of swift action combos. Does this exist?

Any input gratefully appreciated. :)

Dread_Head
2014-10-26, 04:59 PM
Quicken Spell. Casting three spells a round is very nice. If you take Divine Metamagic or get a metamagic rod you can quicken without increasing the spell level to cast three of your highest level spells in a turn.

KingAtomsk
2014-10-27, 07:22 AM
Quicken Spell. Casting three spells a round is very nice. If you take Divine Metamagic or get a metamagic rod you can quicken without increasing the spell level to cast three of your highest level spells in a turn.

Can't do this. The text for Quicken Spell specifically reads: "You may cast only one quickened spell per round."

The only way to cast multiple quickened spells per round was with Multispell, a 3.0 epic feat which never received a 3.5 update. The 3.5 errata for Quicken Spell changed its action from a free action to a swift action, so Multispell can not be used as-written in 3.5 (since it doesn't grant you additional swift actions per turn).

That said, there are many good uses for RKV's extra swift actions. If you used Paladin as the base class for divine casting or have the Paladin spell list (through Silver Pyromancer or Prestige Paladin), the feat "Battle Blessing" allows you to cast Paladin spells as swift actions.
Hellreaver is a flavorful PrC that uses swift actions for many of its "Fury Point" mechanics. This PrC does not advance maneuvers or spellcasting, though.
Many magic items in the MIC use charges or must be activated. If you have many of those such items with Swift Action activations, you can use Divine Impetus to activate multiple in a round.
If you have immediate action options, such as the imm. action teleport from the Shadow Cloak (Drow of the Underdark), you can use Divine Impetus to gain another swift action for the round if you've already used your original one, to insure that you are still able to react using your immediate action.

Get creative! :wink: