PDA

View Full Version : Charge then Sudden Leap

blade777
2014-10-26, 06:02 PM
If I charge and then use Sudden Leap to move backwards or sideward the charge running counts for my jump difficulty?

Sorry bad english

OldTrees1
2014-10-26, 06:47 PM
I do not think the charge counts as a running start for a jump made after the charge attack(s). The attack(s) break up the movement and end your momentum.

However the horizontal jump DCs are not too bad even without a running start.

StreamOfTheSky
2014-10-26, 06:53 PM
If I charge and then use Sudden Leap to move backwards or sideward the charge running counts for my jump difficulty?

Sorry bad english

If you moved 20 or more feet, then yes. You have a running start. It doesn't have to be in the direction you intend to jump.

Doctor Awkward
2014-10-27, 02:10 AM
If you moved 20 or more feet, then yes. You have a running start. It doesn't have to be in the direction you intend to jump.

:biggrin:
Suck it, physics!

StreamOfTheSky
2014-10-27, 05:17 PM
D&D makes physics sit in a corner and cry constantly. This time is no different. :smalltongue:

heavyfuel
2014-10-27, 05:35 PM

D&D makes physics sit in a corner and cry constantly. This time is no different. :smalltongue:

True on both accounts.

However, since this isn't the RAW Q&A I'll just say that this is almost certainly not RAI, and as such you should ask your DM. Personally I'd say it doesn't count as a running start.

Andezzar
2014-10-27, 05:59 PM
I do not think the charge counts as a running start for a jump made after the charge attack(s). The attack(s) break up the movement and end your momentum.Correct. To get the benefit you have to run right before the jump. Not run, attack, jump.

As ridiculous as it sounds, the direction of the movement before the jump is irrelevant.

Telok
2014-10-27, 06:14 PM
You can probably get most GMs to allow a Sudden Leap during/after the attack roll as long as you continue in the same straight line as your charge and can jump over the target (if it's still standing). This works by combining RAW, RAI, and Rule of Cool.

Just say that you hit him as you jump over him.