PDA

View Full Version : equipment

jlousivy
2007-03-19, 10:44 PM
I've seen plenty of threads about optimal spells or feats, but none about equipment (unless i searched wrong).

So assuming money was not an issue, what (core only, no custom items)
core = DMG 3.5, PHB 3.5, MM 3.5
would you have for?

wizard?
fighter?
rogue?

CASTLEMIKE
2007-03-19, 10:57 PM
What is your definition of core? All source books or just DMG?

Variable Arcana
2007-03-19, 11:20 PM
At what level? (and price-range, if other than wealth-by-level)

Cruiser1
2007-03-19, 11:31 PM
For Wizard (core only items):

Chest: Robe of the Archmagi (Best robe by far)
Back: Cloak of Etherealness (Usually this is a Cloak of Resistance +5, but the Robe gives you +4 already).
Belt: Monk's Belt (Can always use extra AC)
Head: Headband of Intellect +6 (INT is all important for a Wizard)
Arms: Bracers of Armor +8 (Only decent arm item for a Wizard)
Hands: Gloves of Dexterity +6 (Can never have enough AC/Ref save/Ranged attack bonus)
Feet: Boots of Speed (Movement/AC/Ref save bonus all good)
Eyes: Eyes of Petrification (Goggles of Night if you don't have a Darkvision spell)
Amulet: Amulet of Health +6 (Can never have enough hp/Fort save/Bonus to Concentration checks)
Ring 1: Ring of Wizardry IV (Have the right spell memorized for every occasion)
Ring 2: Ring of Wizardry III (Ditto)
Held: Greater Metamagic Rod of Quicken (The Wizard's best "weapon")

These are just for the body slots. If you have unlimited funds buy all the nonslotted equipment you can find such as Ioun Stones, Pearls of Power, etc.

Vodun
2007-03-19, 11:35 PM
well, Ive found that at quite a few levels actually, caltrops are insanely useful for defensive perimeters. I was playing a level 1 sorcerer who was very very reluctant to do any lethal damage (he actually worked quite well without being a blaster), so when two orcs were onto him (even with his +3 CON bonus, he would have been meat) I had him throw three bags of caltrops from the corner he was in, making the orcs very cautious about actually attacking him. This allowed him ample time to blast them with a sleep spell that was stored in his ring, thus saving him from being cleaved into meaty bits.

Lord_Kimboat
2007-03-19, 11:39 PM
I think it's a little difficult to get an optimum build on equipment for a few reasons. Some of the major problems occur with access. How much gold does your character have to spend and what is available at any rate. There isn't much point in having 10,000gp if all that you can buy are items up to 50gp value.

Other problems are that what you can carry is somewhat determined by your str and that so many of the prices listed are nonsensical. Does a belt pouch really cost twice as much as a winter blanket?! I mean it's a bit of leather with some string going through it?

That much equipment is irrelevant anyway I've never seen a DM check if I have a belt pouch on my cs even after I've said that I'm reaching into it or protecting it. Similarly, I've never seen a DM check if I have a tent when camping, they will however check if you have rope for some reason. Also, they'll check that you have bought a horse but never if you have bought a saddle or even if it is the right saddle.

Lord_Kimboat
2007-03-19, 11:46 PM
Cruiser1, good list of equipment but I'd swap out the books of speed for boots of lev. Speed is useful but lev gets rid of the need for any climb, jump or even swim checks (provided you can get the command word out without drowning). You rarely take falling damage and it can take you out of harms way for anyone without ranged weapons! All for less than 2/3 the cost!

I did like though that you went for the goggles of darkvision - these are especially good for rogues (who don't have darkvision already that is). I had one tough DM that always had darkvision monsters getting the drop on us because they could see our light coming and had a bunch of time to prepare.

Roland St. Jude
2007-03-19, 11:49 PM
Fair enough, but why go for levitation when you can get winged boots and have flying?

Jade_Tarem
2007-03-19, 11:55 PM
LG Cleric:

Candle of Invocation x however many you can buy.

Cheesiest item in the game.

Level 7 Cleric: "I summon 7 solars and charge them with killing the BBEG, using any means possible. One of them does the SSG ritual wish with no chance of perversion to turn me into a Great Wyrm Gold dragon, in case Super Solar Swat Strike Centurion Team (TM) fails. This is replicated on all my companions."

DM: "I give up."

Of course, once you do this the first time, or even hear about it, it will be banned from all of your group's games forevermore.

CockroachTeaParty
2007-03-19, 11:55 PM
Well, I can't say what would be an optimal equipment list, but here's a few things I never leave home without, if I can help it:

-Handy Haversack: Extra-dimensional storage space is always useful, plus it always has what you want at the very top.

-Efficient Quiver: Pretty cheap, and you get to store a crap load of arrows, several javelins for laughs, as well as bows, spears, etc. Again, I'm a fan of storage items. Seem to be cursed with low-strength characters getting weighed down.

-Goggles of Night: Again, a solid choice if you don't have darkvision naturally.

After those, it usually boils down to what I can afford, and whether or not weapons and armor are important to me. You can never have enough potions, scrolls, and wands, and nothing cures boredom like a Rod of Wonder.

Dhavaer
2007-03-19, 11:57 PM
Fair enough, but why go for levitation when you can get winged boots and have flying?

Because winged boots have a maximum duration of 15 minutes a day, whereas boots of levitation are unlimited use.

Lord_Kimboat
2007-03-20, 12:36 AM
Because winged boots have a maximum duration of 15 minutes a day, whereas boots of levitation are unlimited use.

Not to mention that boots of lev are also cheeper! :smallsmile:

jlousivy
2007-03-20, 01:15 AM
Wizard:
headband of int +6
goggles of night
amulet of health +6
gloves of dex +6
wings of flying
robe of the archmagi
monks belt
bracer's of armour+8
ring of wizardry III
ring of wizardry IV
boots of speed

Borogove
2007-03-20, 02:46 AM
Rings of wizardry are a waste of gold, unless you desperately need to memorize more than 4 different spells of level 3 or 4. Mostly because it's cheaper to just buy pearls of power instead.

marjan
2007-03-20, 02:58 AM
Bracers of armor are waste, too since they improve your AC by 3 for 64k. If you ask me it is not worth it. By some metamagic rods in its place. And if you don't go for Rings of Wizardry you are better of with Ring of Protection +5 (it improves both touch and flatfooted AC). And one of the better things is that Ioun Stone that boosts your CL by 1.

Emperor Tippy
2007-03-20, 03:15 AM
also dump the goggles of night. Your better off just making darkvision permanent in almost all cases.

And what for what level character should this equipment be at? Because if its at level 20 you can dump the flying item as phantom steed lasts all day and can fly.

Ring of Wizardry should be replaced by pearls of power unless your in epic and can get the ones that are actually useful.

How are all of you forgetting to get a Blessed Book? It saves you a huge amount of money when filled.

The cloak of Etherleness isn't really worth it for the price. Your much better off with a Cloak of Displacement (Minor) as it gives a 20% miss chance to all attacks against you and functions continuously. It is also about 40K cheaper.

You should also get a Tome of Clear Thoughts unless you are willing to blow 25K XP on wishes to get the inherent bonus to Int (which is actually a good idea if its a low wealth campaign, just go kill a dragon to make up for it).

Also, no high level wizard should be without the Orange Ioun Stone. +1 to caster level is always worth 30K.

Get a Light Mithril Shield (no ASF) and enchant it with Heavy Fortification (immunity to all sneak attacks and critical hits). This unfortunately makes the monks belt worthless as you can't get its benefit when wearing armor or using a shield.

To the OP: We really can't do this without a specific amount of gold and a level of character that its for.

jlousivy
2007-03-20, 03:36 AM
specific gold amount-- i said gold wasn't an issue :-)
level character i'd assume 20.

hmmmmm light mithril shield...... i think i may have my wizard get that!

marjan
2007-03-20, 03:54 AM
You should also get a Tome of Clear Thoughts unless you are willing to blow 25K XP on wishes to get the inherent bonus to Int (which is actually a good idea if its a low wealth campaign, just go kill a dragon to make up for it).
Yes well Tome of Clear Thought is more lvl 20 class feature for wizards then equipment (every wizard has/used it after all).

Ranis
2007-03-20, 08:34 AM
core = DMG 3.5, PHB 3.5, MM 3.5

There's items & equipment in the Monster Manual? Where?

PinkysBrain
2007-03-20, 08:40 AM
At least 2 potions of invisibility with you at all times, it doesn't matter what class you are ... just have them.