PDA

View Full Version : Bounty Hunters for Hire

jedipotter
2014-10-26, 06:53 PM
Scornubel, the Caravan City, is a huge, unwalled open city set on the north shore at the confluence of the Chionthar and the River Reaching. It is an unwalled town buzzing with continual activity, and a large number of pack animals, wagons, and symbols of merchant and trading companies can be seen as the traveler enters the city. Most of the buildings are low-one or two stories- with a scattering of larger buildings and towers in the center of town.

Scornubel is one of the key cities on the Trade Way leading from Waterdeep to the lands of the Inner Sea. Like its rivals Elturel and Iriaebor, it is a town of merchants and those things merchants are concerned with: warehouses, transportation, and protection (usually from other merchants). Its population can swell to sixfold its numbers during the summer trading season but this late in the fall the population has begun to dip as merchants seek warmer, more hospitable places to winter.

Scornubel has always been home to some pretty racy nightclubs, dancehalls, and taverns, with wild entertainments of magic, exhibited monsters, acrobatics, and exotic dancing presented for the patrons. There are many tales of monsters that escaped, ate a few unfortunate revelers, and still lurk in the area. Darker legends whisper of monsters with mental or magical powers that came here controlling their human handlers and left with considerably more mentally enslaved subjects, and treasure to boot.

There are also persistent rumours that among the costumed, painted dancers of both sexes who perform in Scornubel are outlaws on the run, adventurers seeking to escape the vengeance of foes, nobles seeking to escape vendettas or parental control, heirs evading the blades of those who would forcibly disinherit them, and so on. Some of these tales are undoubtably true. On more than one occasion, a tavern has erupted into a full scale battle when a seasoned adventurer in the audience has recognized a nearby performer as a lamia, doppleganger, or other dangereous menance.

Whatever the present levels of danger and intrigue in the Caravan City, one thing is certain: it is never a dull place to visit.

The Black Dog tavern, run by Jarbaw Nighthill is a hangout for bounty hunters......

esorscher
2014-10-26, 07:17 PM
Sitting at the bar of the Black Dog, a tall, red-haired man with a mean look to his eyes gazes out over a tall beer, a lit cigarette smoldering between his cracked lips. He inhales deeply, holding the smoke in his lungs for several seconds before exhaling through his nose, the smoke spreading like a fog across the surface of his drink. The tavern is not busy, but it is not empty, and the man, clothed as he is in a finely-made but well-worn brown leather duster over his shiny breastplate, either draws attention or does not, as does the large, unkempt dog sitting happily at his feet, gnawing the last bits of flesh from an animal's leg bone. His red hair is short and greasy, and his jaw is covered in a thick red beard. A simple but well-polished longbow is slung across his back above his quiver of arrows, and a leather scabbard sized for a longsword hangs there below the quiver. At his right hip is a dagger. Those who would look for a man with the look of a bounty hunter would find him quickly, and he would be eager to complete any assignment they would give, free from the burdens of scruples or morality.

As Jarbaw passes, the man flags him down, "Hey there, Jarbaw. Hear of any bounties lately?"

jedipotter
2014-10-26, 08:27 PM
Jarbaw Nighthill a bit over weight halfling with long black hair, stops at the bar near you, "Yes, I do. Hot off the Trail." Jarbaw slides over a scroll:

Wanted! Laron Fullfingers. Bulgar. Human male, light skin, light brown hair. Wanted for crimes and theft against one Madvin Tritoch. Dead or Alive. Pays 500 gold dead, 1,000 gold alive. The scroll includes two drawings of a short, skinny human with a big nose.

Jarbaw Nighthill "He jumpped a caravan from Etierul, headed here. It got here just this morning. I sent a guy over to catch him.....and now that guy is dead. I don't know if Laron did it. He is not the violent type, but a man on the run will do strange things. I'm pretty sure he is still in the city."

esorscher
2014-10-26, 08:56 PM
Leroy looks over the bounty for Laron Fullfingers, who'd stolen from Madvin Tritoch. "I'll take it. You know where he is, then? Or a general idea? How about this Tritoch, he in town also?"

jedipotter
2014-10-26, 10:16 PM
Jarbaw Nighthill" Madvin Tritoch is back in the other city. Oh, you can just bring him back here. You just need to catch him. I'll pay the bounty and send him back in a box. I don't know exactly where he is, of course. But he is not a local, I'd guess he does not know many people in our city, so where could he really hide?"

esorscher
2014-10-27, 07:50 AM
Leroy nods. He's been in Scornubel for long enough to know the neighborhoods, and suspects an outlaw like Fullfingers would be someplace cheap and seedy. Before he leaves, he asks Jarbaw, for a physical description including height, build, hair color, distinguishing marks, then heads off to begin his search in one of the poorer neighborhoods.

[I don't know how to search for him mechanically as I don't have ranks in Knowledge Local or Gather Information. So, I'll just ask around and see if anyone has seen him.]

jedipotter
2014-10-27, 12:49 PM
Jarbaw Nighthill "What he looks like is on the wanted scroll" says as he points at the scroll.

Just asking random people if they have seen anyone, does not accomplish much, as no one has seen him or anyone else.

esorscher
2014-10-27, 02:00 PM
Starting at the Jaded Unicorn, Leroy begins searching the inns and taverns for Fullfingers. The thief is likely staying at an Inn, and will be trying to sell stolen goods. He will offer silver for information leading to the man's capture, and ask the bartenders and innkeeps if they have seen him. If that turns up fruitless, he will seek out Angah Lalla.

jedipotter
2014-10-27, 03:05 PM
At The Jadded Unicorn, one of the bartenders, Hemnen Brownhound does recognizes Laron Fullfingers. As does the waitress Yavasha Shortskirt. For two silver coins, they tell you he rented room '15'.

I'd guess you Googled Scornubel?

Just keep in mind the year is 1350DR.

esorscher
2014-10-27, 03:18 PM
"How long has he been staying here? Is he in there now?" Leroy asks, handing over the silver.

jedipotter
2014-10-27, 03:29 PM
Hemnen Brownhound[/B takes the silver coin "Not long, maybe two hours. I did not see him leave that I can recall, but he could have gone out another door."

[B]The Jadded Unicorn is a very cheap place. There are no room keys or door locks. A customer is simply given a clay tab with a number on it. The doors do have crossbars that can be lowered when one is in the room. Each room has a window, but it is literally a 'hole in the wall', about the size of a mans head.

esorscher
2014-10-27, 09:27 PM
Leroy will nod to Hemnen Brownhound, then turn and walk down the hall looking for room 15. Once he finds it, he notes its location in relation to other rooms in its hallway, then walks outside and finds the window to room 15. He ducks down under the window, then peeks through the hole in the wall to see if the occupant is inside, and if the room is barred.

jedipotter
2014-10-27, 11:18 PM
Room 15 is the last room at the corner, right next to the back door. Room 1 is right next to the common room, then 1-15 go to the end of the hallway, then 16-30 go back on the other side of the hallway.

Peeking through the window, you can see the room has no one in it and the door is not barred. The room looks like it has a small straw mat for a bed, a small closed chest and a clay bucket.

esorscher
2014-10-28, 07:43 AM
Leroy returns to Room 15, opens the door, and searches for anything left behind by Fullfingers. He will start with the chest, then under the straw mattress. He will take as long as necessary to finish his search (Take 20).

jedipotter
2014-10-28, 04:42 PM
There is a dagger covered by a bit of loose straw on the straw mat. The small chest has two new looking sets of traveler clothing and two pairs of shoes and a single dagger. Otherwise the room just has dirt in it.

esorscher
2014-10-28, 07:43 PM
Leroy has his trusty dog smell the clothes in order to pick up Fullfingers scent to track. If successful, he will follow the beast until he spots his bounty. If unsuccessful, he will direct his dog to wait outside the inn. He will stand behind the door, leaning against the wall with his sword drawn, so that when the door opens, he will be concealed behind it. He will wait indefinitely, or at least until midnight, shifting his weight and stretching intermittently.

jedipotter
2014-10-28, 08:14 PM
The new clothing does not have much of a sent on it, so your dog just smells the clothing for a minute and then gives you ''sad puppy dog eyes''.

Though waiting works....

You don't have to wait too long.......it's only an hour later when Laron Fullfingers opens the door to room 15 and steps inside.

[roll0]

Leroy's ''hide'' [roll1]

He sees you as soon as he walks into the room. He is not surprised.

Round 1

esorscher
2014-10-28, 08:47 PM
(In the future, feel free to roll initiative, saves, etc., for me to speed things along. And yes, I did google Scornubel. I post from my phone usually during the day, also, and that may not always be possible long term.)

Round 1:

Initiative: [roll0]
Attack: [roll1], [roll2]

"Surrender, and I will spare your life. Fight me, and you will surely perish," Leroy warns, before swinging his sword at the center of Fullfingers's mass with his sword arm, raising his shield with his other arm.

jedipotter
2014-10-29, 10:37 PM
Leroy's sword strike misses

Initiative

[roll0]

Laron Fullfingers with a quick flick of his wrist he draws a dagger and throws it at Leroy

[roll1]

Save if Leroy if needed [roll2]

Laean's dagger misses...and he reaches for another

Round 2

esorscher
2014-10-29, 10:58 PM
Leroy attempts another attack.

[roll0]
[roll1]

jedipotter
2014-10-30, 02:16 AM
Leroy's attack hits....wounding Laron Fullfingers

Laron Fullfingers goes for a desperate, wild stab with his dagger!

[roll0]
[roll1]

Leroy save if needed [roll2]

He does not hit anything....

Round 3

esorscher
2014-10-30, 07:32 AM
Leroy continues his assault. If he drops Laron unconscious and the target is bleeding out, he will use a Cure Minor Wounds spell to stabilize his target and keep him alive, but unconscious.

[roll0],
[roll1]

(He misses.)

jedipotter
2014-10-30, 07:21 PM
Laron Fullfingers goes to stab with his dagger again

[roll0]
[roll1]

Save if needed [roll2]

Miss....

Round 4

esorscher
2014-10-30, 07:25 PM
"You've yet to strike true," Leroy says, parrying the dagger with his shield. "You know you can not win."

[roll0],
[roll1]

jedipotter
2014-10-30, 07:44 PM
Laron Fullfingers Withdraws moving out of the room, and dashing away. He moves all the way down the hallway, past all the other rooms, and into the common room.

That is the Withdraw Action

And moving 60 feet away.

Round 5

esorscher
2014-10-30, 07:50 PM
Leroy chases after him, and whistles for his dog using a specific, low-pitched whistle to signal that Bruiser should attack. (Using a double-move). When he enters the common room, hot on the heels of Laron, he shouts, "That man is wanted for various crimes! 10 gold to any man or woman who aids in his capture!"

(If Bruiser gets an attack against Laron)

[roll0], [roll1]

jedipotter
2014-10-30, 08:03 PM
Bruser gets an attack and does a great leap...right at Laron Fullfingers. The dogs jaws clamp around Laron Fullfingers and he falls to the ground quite unconscious and bleeding out all over the ground.

About six people in the common room turn to watch the man and the dogs, but the loud, deep growls from Bruser keeps everyone away.

esorscher
2014-10-30, 08:05 PM
Leroy dashes to Laron's side and channels a small amount of positive energy into the fallen thief. (1 HP, Cure Minor Wounds). "Thank you for not interfering," he says. "A round for everyone, on me." He tosses a couple coins on the bar before dragging the stable but unconscious Laron out to his horse, Dharma. Unless interrupted, he hoists the body onto the horses back, and leads Dharma and Bruiser back to the Black Dog for payment.

Once a ways away from the bar he turns down an alleyway and searches Laron's body for anything of value. He purposefully left behind the items in room 15 for Hemnen, as they were not especially valuable to him, but might serve as an apology of sorts (if necessary) for the disturbance.

jedipotter
2014-11-01, 01:25 AM
Most of the people in the common room watch you, but no one takes any other actions.

You stabilize Laron Fullfingers and get him on the horse no problem.

Then it is just a short trip down the city streets to the Black Dog.

Jarbaw Nighthill "Well, now, that did not take long. Good work."

esorscher
2014-11-01, 08:09 AM
(Pending information about what Laron had on his person)

At the remark about his speed, Leroy shrugs. He sits down at the bar and lights up another cigarette, this one's aroma indicating a mixture of tobacco and some other substance. "I don't waste time." He gestures to Laron's body. "He's alive. That's a thousand. Didn't seem to have whatever he stole on him, but you can ask him about it when he's conscious. I'd suggest tying him up, first." He inhales deeply, then holds it, exhaling slowly as he speaks, which modulates his voice somewhat. "You got another bounty for me?"

[XP? PS: I am very much enjoying the feel of this game. Very private-eye like.]

jedipotter
2014-11-01, 07:26 PM
Jarbaw Nighthill claps his hands and three half orcs come out of a back room and grab Laron Fullfingers and drag him back there and put him in a cell.

"Yea, well whatever he stole does not even matter. It not like they told us anyway. And it's not like they are paying to get the item back, they just want him. We run a business and the customer is always right.

He counts out a thousand gold coins and sets them on the table.

"Ready to get right back out there?"

He hands a scroll over Hengis Retheer, human male. Horse killer. Resisting arrest. Evasion. Six foot, dark skin and dark hair. Full beard. Several horse related tattoos, notable a headless horse on his chest. Bounty 500 gold, alive only. Dead 0.

"This guy seems a bit crazy. Hacking up horses. Not sure why. They tried to arrest him, set a trap and all. But he got away."

Nine daggers(three have a clear sticky substance on them. Two metal flasks, each filled with the clear sticky substance.

A set of thieves tools, bag of trail rations, and a waterskin.

His belt pouch has 30 copper coins, 11 silver coins and 8 gold coins.

You really want XP per bounty? It's gonna be low....

esorscher
2014-11-01, 08:14 PM
(I don't need XP per bounty, I'm happy to level up whenever. Maybe after X number of successful bounties? Don't want to be an amazingly wealthy 2nd level character after all :smallsmile:. I'm going to hold on to the Thieves' Tools, sticky substances, and the daggers coated in said substance. What kind of Knowledge check to ID/ where can I find someone to make such a check?)

"Hengis Retheer, horse killer." Leroy spits in a conveniently placed spitoon, making a pleasant ringing sound echo through the mostly empty place. He thinks of his horse Dharma, who, while 'just a horse', he is fond of. "Pour me a drink, then I'll get back out there." While he drinks, he asks some questions. "Who's 'they', and where can I find 'them'? Why do they want him alive only? Where'd they set the trap and how'd they lure him in?" He counts out the gold, but leaves it on the table. "One more thing, do you have platinum? Gold's a bit hard to carry." If not, Leroy will look for a moneychanger to exchange the gold for platinum coins.

jedipotter
2014-11-01, 09:46 PM
Jarbaw Nighthill "Them would be the city watch. I can do better then platinum, I can give you a trade note. " He holds up a 1,000 gold trade note.

"You can find the Watchmen at the Watch Tower. I don't know why they want him alive. I don't ask many questions. So I don't know anything else about the trap."

Knowledge nature or dungeoneering
Profession: apothecary

And your in such a place now...

esorscher
2014-11-01, 10:38 PM
"A trade note, eh?" Leroy eyes the piece of paper skeptically. Coins had value, value he could hold. Paper money was a more dubious currency. "I think I'll stick to platinum, if you don't mind." If something happened to Jarbaw, nothing would happen to his own wealth. "I'll check with the Watch, then. Can you tell me anything about this sticky, clear substance?" he asks, holding up the flask and one of the daggers.

jedipotter
2014-11-02, 10:51 PM
Jarbaw Nighthill "You want something small and portable, how about a diamond." he holds up a tiny cut diamond.

Jarbaw Nighthill looks over the flask and dagger, holds them up to the light and smells them [roll0]

"Yes. I know exactly what that is. And I can tell you for just 100 gold.''

esorscher
2014-11-03, 08:28 AM
"Come on, Jarbaw. You and me are going to be doing a lot of business together. Cut me a deal. It ain't worth 100 gold to me, but I can give you 10."

I can't justify giving over 1/10th my last bounty to find out what this juice is. But if you charge me 1/10th of what it is worth, I'll gladly pay.

jedipotter
2014-11-03, 04:37 PM
Jarbaw Nighthill "100 gold is my associates price. You should see what I'd charge others, ha! 10 gold? Come on! That's really cheap....like goblin cheap. See this is supply and demand, and my skills are in high demand. It's not like you don't have the money, you just got a big pay off. So 100 gold it is!"

If you can't trust shady, semi-underworld, greedy, sneaky bounty hunter administrators/tavern owners, who can you trust....lol

esorscher
2014-11-03, 07:17 PM
Leroy thinks it over. "I don't need to know that bad, yet. You may 'know,' but I can experiment, see what it does. Anyway, I'll be back later. Maybe I'll come back with more stuff for you to overcharge me on, we can work out some sort of three-for-one deal or something."

Leroy nods and collects his (Platinum) coins into a small sack which he keeps in a secret location on his person. He leaves a silver for the drink, then takes off, still smoking his cigarette. He leads his horse and dog through the city streets to the Watchtower, humming a slow, low song as he walks. He walks slowly until he finishes his cigarette, which he crushes under his boot as he continues. When he reaches the tower, he wraps the reins of his horse around a nearby post and walks in, his dog at his heels. To whatever Watchperson is on duty, he says, "I'm looking into the Hengis Retheer case. The horse killer. Who's in charge of the investigation?"

jedipotter
2014-11-04, 02:31 AM
Desk Clerk Watchman looks you over and nods and points to a set of stairs. "You want Watchman Saulbios Nordoryar. Up the stairs, second room on your left."

The Watchtower is a large, plain, square tower. It is full of guards and workers and tied and chained up prisoners. The second floor has offices, each filled with a couple people. The second room on your left has a wide open door. Inside the small room is a quite messy office. Scrolls and bit of paper fill the shelves, bookcases, tables and the desk. Along with all sorts of items like daggers, hand shovels, axes, clay jars, tin cups and wooden boxes.

There are two empty chairs in front of the desk.

A human male, in chain mail sits at the desk writing in a book with a quill.

esorscher
2014-11-04, 08:22 AM
"Thank you," Leroy says, and heads upstairs. Upon reaching the office, he says inquisitively, "Saulbios Nordoryar?" As the man looks up from his paperwork, Leroy is already sitting down in the left-most empty chair in front of the desk. "Leroy Brown," he introduces himself. "I'm looking into the Horsekiller case. Hengis Retheer. I'm told you're the man in charge of the investigation. Mind if I ask you some questions?"

jedipotter
2014-11-04, 11:53 PM
Saulbios Nordoryar sits up straight and looks at you.

"Ah, well met. Sit down. How are you? Are you a victim? Or somehow connected to the case? If you have questions, feel free to ask away."

esorscher
2014-11-05, 08:05 AM
"Well met. I'm an officer of the law, much like yourself," Leroy says with a slight smile. "I'm working privately on this case. I was hoping you could give me some insight into the perpetrator's activities and behavior. For start, when did the attacks begin? How many have there been? What are the details and circumstances of each attack, and when did each take place. Are there any commonalities between the attacks? I understand that the Watch attempted to trap Retheer, can you tell me more about that? What did you try, and why did it fail? I'm sure I'll have more questions for you, but I thought I'd start there."

jedipotter
2014-11-05, 03:02 PM
Saulbios Nordoryar "Well, Hengis Retheer is a strange one. As far as we know he blew into the city about a week ago. And he killed his first couple of horses the very first night he got here. He is a follower of Malar and has some crazy ideas about the enslavement of animals...especially horses. But instead of setting them free, he kills them. Real brutal too, he cuts the head off and takes it with him...and does who knows what with it.

That we know of, there have been fifteen public known attacks. He goes it a night, generally a bit after sunset, but not too late. He goes to the corral or the post and kills the horse, often very quietly. Then leaves the bloody corpse to be found by the rider. And he hangs around to watch the show. The Watch was on his tail, but not too close.

So three days ago he kills the stallion of Aucaman Niconor. And he really get a bur in his saddle over it and he wants to help catch the guy. So two nights ago we set a trap. Aucaman got another one of his good stallions as bait. And Hengis took the bait. Unfortunately, most of the watchmen were overly distracted while not so pretending to drink and have a good time. So the trap was not exactly sprung according to plan, and Hengis got away.

And he went right back to killing a horse last night, number 15. "

esorscher
2014-11-06, 07:55 AM
Leroy considers the facts of the case thoroughly before responding. "I imagine Aucaman Niconor is not too enthusiastic about another of his horses being used as bait. Does Retheer frequent the same stables and posts, or is he hitting a different place every night?

Where did you set the trap? Where was the last horse killed?"

jedipotter
2014-11-07, 12:35 AM
Saulbios Nordoryar "Aucaman Niconor is a good enough fellow. I don't know about him using another horse, but he sure wants this horse killer caught. Hengis Retheer's attacks seem to be at random, as far as I can tell. He has killed horses at nine different locations, three were repeat spots. Though one of the repeats was our trap, so not sure if it counts.

Our trap was at the High Horse feasthall. It's a big popular place with the higher up locals and they keep the cowpokes and poor out. My father likes it, but it is not really my taste. They have a nice, private corral for the horses with pampered care and all. Apparently he disguised himself as a worker there, we found a worker all hog tied up, but not harmed except for a couple bumps.

Were not really sure why he is doing this...I mean killing horses is just down right weird."

esorscher
2014-11-07, 06:48 AM
"Yeah, very weird. What's your plan for catching him? Do you have another trap set?"

jedipotter
2014-11-07, 02:32 PM
Saulbios Nordoryar "Another plan? Ah, well, no, not really. We did put a bounty out on him. That is sort of a plan, right. Maybe a lucky bounty hunter will grab him for us." says with a smile.

esorscher
2014-11-07, 02:47 PM
"Hah, fair." Leroy says, leaning back in the chair and thinking for a moment. "Well, I guess my only remaining question is, where can I find Aucaman Niconor?"

jedipotter
2014-11-07, 04:11 PM
Saulbios Nordoryar [COLOR="#A52A2A"]"Aucaman Niconor has a townhouse over on West Road, number 16. Big white house, lots of horse statues."[/COLOR says with a shrug.

esorscher
2014-11-07, 04:14 PM
"Alright then. Thanks, Saulbios." Leroy shakes the watchman's hand before departing the tower, with two places on his mind. Niconor's house, and the High Horse feasthall. Niconor's house first, though--he wanted to gauge the man's temperature, see how he felt after losing two of his horses and see what insight he could offer. He heads over to 16 West Road and takes in a view of the home, then knocks on the door and waits.

jedipotter
2014-11-07, 04:45 PM
Aucaman Niconor's townhouse is a nice two level square wooden house at the western edge of town. The house looks simple and practical, and well kept up, but it's not too fancy. The yard around the house is well groomed, in parts, though most of the back of the house looks wild. There is plenty of stone work placed out in the yard, all horses, in all sorts of different poses. Two large barns, a couple of outer wood shacks and a corral complete the lands. You can see dozens of horses in the field.

A servant asks what you wish for as you approach, and runs off to get Aucaman.

A couple minutes later a human male in his 30's walks over to the side porch and waves you over. Aucaman Niconor is wearing an all leather riding out fit, complete with knee high boots. It looks nice and well, made, but is full of dirt and dust. He has no weapon on him that you can see.

"Well met, I'm Aucaman Niconor, master of these lands, what can i do for you?"

esorscher
2014-11-07, 04:52 PM
Leroy extends his arm to shake Niconor's hand. "Well met, Master Niconor. My name's Leroy Brown, and I heard about your recent troubles with Hengis Retheer, the Horse Killer. Mind if I ask you a few questions?

Two questions: 1) Since the watch put the bounty on Retheer, is it possible/worthwhile to try and get Niconor to hire me as well? 2) Do I need to roll sense motive checks to see if someone is lying, or will you roll those privately "off-screen"?

jedipotter
2014-11-07, 05:12 PM
Aucaman Niconor sits in a large wood chair on the porch and waves for you to sit in one of the empty chairs as well. "Ah, well, not a pleasant topic to be sure....but ask away if you must?"

1)There is no law against being hired by two people or collecting two bounties. After all, for lots of more ''high profile criminals'' there can often be more then one bounty. Most often bounties are just combined though.

And is it worth it? Well, let me check...more money is better then less money...so....

2)Well, the trick is I won't know when you want it done. You can't just roll endlessly. It more for when you the player either thinks something does not sound right or when you just want to ''check'' something.

And way fair warning, considering the setting just about everyone is lying and/or hiding something....your not in a city of noble paladins. For example even if you rolled a 2, you'd still get that Jarbaw Nighthill is lying or not telling the whole truth....as shocking as that might sound.

esorscher
2014-11-07, 05:21 PM
Got it.

"I understand you've lost two horses to the killer. And the Watch hasn't brought him to justice." Leroy says. "Justice is overrated. Would vengeance be worth something to you?" He lets his voice trail off, leaving the invitation hanging in the air.

jedipotter
2014-11-07, 05:27 PM
Aucaman Niconor "Yes, two expensive horses. I don't know if you know, but I did try and help the Watch catch the killer. But the Watch is so lazy and corrupt, I doubt they could catch flies if they left their mouth open all day.

And I believe in justice....ours may not be a perfect system, but it is all we have.

So, it would be worth it to me to see him bough to justice........." he says trailing off.

esorscher
2014-11-07, 05:38 PM
Leroy smiles, showing his teeth, which, while slightly yellowed from smoke, are straight and even. "The Watch may be inept, but I most certainly am not. How much would that justice be worth?"

jedipotter
2014-11-07, 10:14 PM
Aucaman Niconor "Well, I'm a business man. I make it a point to know the price of things. And if we were talking about horses, I'd have the price in mind. But for a service like this, well, I will admit I have no idea what the price could be. I've never bought a service like this before. Is there some type of hoof mark to even go buy?"

esorscher
2014-11-08, 02:08 PM
"My typical rate is 500 dead, 1000 alive. Gold. How does that strike you?"

jedipotter
2014-11-08, 03:26 PM
Aucaman Niconor "Oh, I don't want him dead. I want him to get justice. So alive it is. 1,000 gold sounds good to me. Deal."

esorscher
2014-11-08, 03:33 PM
Leroy shakes Aucaman's hand to secure the agreement. "Alright then. I have a few questions for you. I understand Retheer has killed two of your horses. When was the first one killed, and where?"

jedipotter
2014-11-08, 11:20 PM
Aucaman Niconor shakes, "Well, lets see, it was three days ago when he killed Thunder. That was at the High Horse feasthall. I go there every week or so. Thunder was in the feasthalls corral, same place he'd been dozens of times before. And he was killed."

esorscher
2014-11-09, 08:27 AM
"And the second?"

jedipotter
2014-11-09, 04:04 PM
Aucaman Niconor "The second was at the same place, the High Horse. That was the failed Watch trap. Seemed like the right place for a trap."

esorscher
2014-11-09, 04:06 PM
"Alright. I'll start my search there, then. Anything you can tell me about the High Horse, and anything else I should know?" Leroy will listen to what Aucaman has to say, then depart for the High Horse.

jedipotter
2014-11-09, 08:59 PM
Aucaman Niconor "I think that is everything I know. I'm not sure if i know anything else. The High Horse...well it's a nicer place. You might want to change before you go there . Put on some nicer clothing, put down your weapons. Or you will really stand out. Other then that, the place is expensive, so bring lots of gold."

esorscher
2014-11-09, 10:56 PM
"Thank you," Leroy says, departing. Leroy doesn't have anything nicer, nor does he have any intention of putting away his weapons. If he stands out, he stands out. He leads his animals down to the High Horse, and surveys the establishment before approaching the stables with his horse. He looks for someone who appears to be in charge to begin his inquiries, and also surveys the stables to see if there's any sign of fresh blood.

jedipotter
2014-11-10, 03:50 PM
The High Horse Feasthall looks to be a nice place. A large wooden building with a deck all around. The place looks well maintained, and you even see some workers painting some spots on the walls. The horse corral is off to the side, a double set of stalls and a wide open enclosed field. You can't see any blood from just walking along the fence.

Through the main doors is a large dance floor, food court, a stage, a long bar, a huge wooden wheel with the numbers 1-30 on it and some target boards. Everything looks nice.

The place is very quite, and other then a couple workers in simple clothing cleaning, there does not seem to be any customers.

Pessil Runotle "Well met, there stranger. You look like you were run over by a head of cows, wheew. As you might see we aint exactly open yet. I'm Pessil Runotle, and I run this place. But my fine eye tells me this is not the place for you, even if we were open. You might want to try somewhere else."

esorscher
2014-11-10, 04:09 PM
"Well Pessil, I appreciate your honesty, and I agree, this isn't the place for me. I wouldn't trust my horse to a place that had let two get killed in the last week. What kind of security do you have here, anyway?"

jedipotter
2014-11-10, 11:39 PM
Pessil Runotle "Security!

One of the back doors opens an an eight foot tall gray and black scaled humanoid in dark yellow fancy clothing walks out.

Pessil Runotle "Ah, Ulzadan. This cowpoke was asking about security. Something about unsafe horses."

Ulzadan "Oh, got something to say little one?"

esorscher
2014-11-11, 06:55 AM
"Many things, but I'll start with a question. I assume you're the head of security here, Ulzadan. How is that a man can get past you and slaughter a horse in your stable, not once, but twice in three days, without you seeing anything?"

jedipotter
2014-11-11, 05:25 PM
Ulzadan "That is me, head of security. My main concern is people. As in the customers here. Not horses. I make sure all the people coming here have a good, safe time."

Pessil Runotle "The loss of the two horses, here in our own corral is very sad and tragic. But that being said, management can not be responsible for horses left in the corral. This is a park at your own risk establishment. We can't afford the time and cost to protect every horse...especially at the risk to people. And really this is a very isolated incident. Horse killings are not common in civilization at all. We have never even had a horse killing here, until the last couple of days...least that I can remember. "

esorscher
2014-11-11, 10:57 PM
"So, even after the first horse was killed, you didn't post a watchman or anything of that nature? I'm not accusing you, just trying to make sure I understand. On that topic, is such a policy common amongst stables in this city--leave the horses unattended, I mean. I also understand that the Watch planned to set a trap using your location as bait. Did they alert you to this before it happened?" After getting those answers, he asks, "Can I take a look at the scene of the crime?"

jedipotter
2014-11-12, 12:48 AM
Pessil Runotle "There are horsehands that care for the horses, but they are not guards. They just care for the horses. I can really say what others do.

And no, the blasted watch did not see fit to inform us of the trap. They just came right on in and did as they pleased, without a word to anyone. "

Ulzadan "The Watch is useless."

esorscher
2014-11-12, 08:34 AM
"On that we agree, Ulzadan. Can you show me where the crime took place? What hands were on duty the nights of the attacks?"

jedipotter
2014-11-12, 04:26 PM
Ulzadan "Sure"

He leads you out side in to the corral. There are no horses anywhere in the corral that you can see. The stables are in the middle of the corral, with 25 stalls. You see six workers moving about, cleaning stalls, stacking hay and raking dirt.

Ulzadan "Both horse deaths took place here in stall seven. Aucaman Niconor always requests this stall, and pays extra."

The stall is a typical wooden stall. Dirt floor mixed with hay. A water troth along one wall. A barrel of hay next to that. The stall looks very clean, you don't see any blood at all in the stall.

Ulzadan walks over and taps a human male on the shoulder and then brings him over to you "This is Visald, the stablemaster,"

Visald Kralian "Well met"

esorscher
2014-11-12, 09:09 PM
"Well met, Visald. My name is Leroy. Were you here the night of the attacks? What did you see?"

jedipotter
2014-11-13, 02:57 AM
Visald Kralian "Yes. And well, not much. It was a typical busy night. Then I was told some Watchmen showed up along the fence. But before I could get out there it was over. Dead horse, Watchmen scratching their heads, lots of commotion. I did not even know what was going on untill the watch captain explained things to Pessil Runotle."

esorscher
2014-11-13, 08:37 AM
Leroy nods. "That was the second attack. What about the first night? When did you discover the first dead horse, and how?"

jedipotter
2014-11-13, 01:32 PM
Visald Kralian "It was the same stall, number seven. Aucaman Niconor's horse was found dead when he went to leave. We have no idea when it happened. Aucaman was here a couple hours, like he always is when he comes. The horse could have been killed any time over them couple hours. We care for the horses, but can't really watch them. Even more so on a busy night. We got horses coming and going every couple minutes. "

esorscher
2014-11-13, 06:42 PM
"Very good. Well, not really, but you understand. Mind if I take a look?" Leroy heads down to stall 7 with his dog, who sniffs around trying to pick up a scent of anything unusual while he takes his time searching for clues.

jedipotter
2014-11-13, 08:40 PM
Visald Kralian "Knock yourself out. We spellscrubbed the stall though...so it's as clean as Mystra's Hair."

Stall 7 looks just like the other stalls.

The stall is a typical wooden stall. Dirt floor mixed with hay. A water troth along one wall. A barrel of hay next to that. The stall looks very clean, you don't see any blood at all in the stall.

esorscher
2014-11-14, 12:51 AM
Leroy examines the stall and the stables for any obvious entrances and exits besides the one watched by the stablehands.

jedipotter
2014-11-14, 02:40 AM
The stable has four normal entrances. To main horse doors at either end, and two man doors at either end. But there are also six large (glassless) windows and the two large air vents.

Visald Kralian walks over with a red haired young human male in worker clothing "And here is Doubor. This is the guy he knocked out and then disguised himself as to get in the stable."

Doubor the young "Well met, not much to tell. He came up to me and said well met, I asked him if he had a horse...and he attacked me. He punched me and grabbed my neck and i went out like a fire in the rain."

esorscher
2014-11-14, 08:36 AM
Leroy nods. "Well met, Doubor. What did he look like? Would you recognize him if you saw him again?"

jedipotter
2014-11-14, 01:44 PM
Doubor the young "Yea, sure. He looked human. Red hair, just like me. But his hair was redder and curly and a lot longer. Small, beedy eyes Hard, weather beatined skin. Black poncho and black boots.

esorscher
2014-11-14, 01:54 PM
"Alright." Leroy turns to Vizald the stablemaster. "I'd like to borrow Doubor here for a while, if the two of you don't mind. I'll pay his salary here, plus extra for 'risk.'"

jedipotter
2014-11-14, 02:18 PM
Ulzadan just nods.

Visald Kralian "That would be fine. Five gold should cover all that. Sound good to you?"

esorscher
2014-11-14, 02:20 PM
"Fine." Leroy knows he should negotiate, but, it's not worth his time. Every moment's delay only makes the horsekiller harder to find. "Let's go." The two head to the west side of town, looking for an area heavily populated with make-shift shacks and homeless people. "Keep an eye out for him. He's got to be hiding somewhere." Leroy's dog smells, searching for a scent of horse.

jedipotter
2014-11-14, 04:10 PM
As you head west, things only get worse. Small wooden buildings. Then shacks and lean-toos and then tents. They people look like the typical poor. Not much clothing or anything else. Though plenty of them have weapons like clubs, staffs and a couple of axes.

There is a the occasional animal, chickens, hogs, and lots of rats. But you don't see any horses.

esorscher
2014-11-14, 04:14 PM
Leroy attempts to ask around to see if anyone has seen any strange individuals or newcomers arriving in the last few weeks matching the Horsekiller's description. He'll offer a copper to information leading to the Horsekiller.

jedipotter
2014-11-14, 04:57 PM
For a copper, not even the poor people are willing to talk....they all have not seen anything.

Emusette Riverroad a human female in a plain brown robe approaches you "Well met. I'm Emusette Riverroad of Ilmater. These are poor people here, i hope you are not here to do harm. If your here to help I would welcome the help. But i see your looking for someone. I do wonder what one of the poor could have done to you to make you seek them out so..."

esorscher
2014-11-14, 05:02 PM
"Not sure he's poor," Leroy says. "I'm looking for a man called Hengis Retheer, who's butchered a horse every night for the last two weeks. He leaves the bodies, and takes the heads. Wherever he's staying, it's not an inn or a tavern, and I can't imagine he's a man of means. I'm guessing he's living on the streets somewhere around here."

jedipotter
2014-11-15, 02:56 PM
Emusette Riverroad "The horse killer? I've heard about him. Most around here kinda like him. He kills rich peoples horses. Even better is they give the people here the horse meat...for free.

But I don't think the horse killer lives around here. This part of the town is for the poor, and I doubt the killer is poor. Maybe not a man of means, as you say, but I'll bet he is a worker."

esorscher
2014-11-16, 08:02 PM
"Well, I guess that's good, at least." Leroy says. "Thanks for the advice." He head towards an area of town that is more working class to begin asking around, offering a silver for information leading to Retheer's capture.

jedipotter
2014-11-16, 09:07 PM
The middle of town is full of all sorts of working businesses. Bakers, Cobblers, Blacksmiths, Coopers, Tailors, Butchers, Potters, Woodcutters. Scornubel is a big trade town, so there is always plenty of raw materials.

Other then they know some horses have been killed, the average person on the street does know anything more.

Until a halfling in leather armor walking down the street overhears you ask about it and says "Hengis Retheer? Why by my furry feet I know him. Good lad. What is it you think he has done? Why are you looking for him? And just who are you?" as the halfling puts his hand on the hilt of his sheathed short sword.

esorscher
2014-11-17, 08:44 AM
"I'm Lenny Bruce, I'm a reporter. I've heard about what he's doing for the people in the poor district, feeding them, and I'd like to interview him." Leroy lies. "Do you know where I can find him? Can you take me to him?"

jedipotter
2014-11-17, 06:58 PM
Gibiny Sleepwick "I'm Gibiny Sleepwick. I'm a friend of Hengis. You want to meet him? I can take you too him no problem. Just follow me."

Gibiny heads off down the street and waves for you to follow him.

esorscher
2014-11-17, 07:03 PM
Leroy follows eagerly, dog, horse and stableboy in tow.

jedipotter
2014-11-17, 08:41 PM
Gibiny Sleepwick leads you all the way across town, down by the river, and to a small store house. This is it." He knocks on the door and a human in plan brown clothing opens the door. Gibiny gives the human a nod and a wave, and the human moves out of the way, and Gibiny moves inside as he waves you to follow.

Inside you can see a typical store house with boxes, crates, barrels and sacks stacked to the ceasing.

esorscher
2014-11-17, 09:06 PM
Leroy can't help but sense that this is some kind of trap, but he brings his horse inside, along with his dog and stableboy. "Hengis Retheer?" he calls out, hand on his sword hilt.

jedipotter
2014-11-18, 03:59 PM
The front door to the store house is man sized, you must leave your horse outside tied to the post. The dog and stable-boy both fit though the man sized door.

"Aye! I be here! Who is a calling my name?" says a loud voice from somewhere deep in the store house behind the piles of boxes, crates, sacks and barrels.

esorscher
2014-11-18, 09:49 PM
The stable hand stays outside with the horse. "I'm Lenny Bruce, a freelance journalist. Can you answer a few questions?"

jedipotter
2014-11-19, 02:58 AM
"Sure, I got some time. I'm back here at the sorting table."]

Gibiny Sleepwick nods "This, way, follow me"

The doorman waits for everyone to enter the store house and then closes the door again.

Gibiny Sleepwick heads down one of the narrow isles of stacked barrels, around several large piles of brown sacks and around two corners. And back to an area with a large table with lots of sacks, both empty and full piled around it. And crates of vegatables. Five people are standing around the table: three halflings each armed and in leather armor; two dark haired humans in commoner outfits. The table is full small vegetables, and they are sorting them and filling the sacks.

esorscher
2014-11-19, 08:33 AM
None of these people match the description of Hengis Retheer. "Which one of you is Hengis Retheer?"

jedipotter
2014-11-19, 01:13 PM
Hengis Retheer A young human male with dark hair and wearing commoner clothing "Oh, aye, that be me. Hengis Retheer. Nice to meet you. You don't mind if I keep working, eh, gotta make my coin. I can answer your questions, though don't know why you'd want to talk to a worker like me. But go ahead."

Hengis and the other four at the table keeps sorting the vegetables on the table into sacks.

Gibiny Sleepwick leans against a crate off to your left.

Doubor the young stands on your right, looking confused.

esorscher
2014-11-19, 07:01 PM
(Doubor should be outside with the horse)

"Are you the Hengis Retheer who is responsible for feeding the poor over the past two weeks? I was led to believe that Hengis Retheer had red hair." Leroy clarifies.

jedipotter
2014-11-19, 11:56 PM
Hengis Retheer "Ah, no, my hair be dark. Black I guess. And feed the poor, sure, what about it. I'm poor and I feed myself all the time." The other five workers laugh.

Ohh...Doubor the young is waiting outside with the horse.

esorscher
2014-11-20, 08:36 AM
Perhaps Hengis Retheer was a more common name than he thought. "Are you the Hengis Retheer who is responsible for the recent rash of horse killings?" Leroy asks.

jedipotter
2014-11-20, 01:36 PM
Hengis Retheer "Why would anyone kill a horse? That is about as dumb as eating rocks."

esorscher
2014-11-21, 08:55 AM
Leroy nods. "Well, it looks like I've found the wrong Hengis Retheer. Thank you for your time." He nods, and departs from the warehouse. Standing outside the warehouse, he turns to Doubor. "Wasn't the right one. How common a name is Hengis Retheer, anyway?" He walks around the warehouse, looking for any other entrances or exits. If there is only the one, he stands across the street, watching it, thinking.

(Not sure what I should do at this point. Everything I try seems to come up with a dead-end.)

jedipotter
2014-11-21, 01:59 PM
As soon as Leroy nods, Gibiny Sleepwick draws his short sword and stands up. "Now, just hold it. Your not going anywhere."

The other three halflings at the table a draw weapons, two draw daggers and the third draws a rock. The two humans are alert, but don't draw any weapons.

"Not until you tell me what you want with my buddy Hengis Horsekiller." he says with a smile.

You want to be careful with ''autos'', even more so when your in a possible pre-combat encounter. You should never assume something will be automatically successful. And that goes double for the reactions or actions of others.

If you ever have a doubt, that is the time to post a ''well'' type post. Something like where the character will say ''well I will be going'', but not taking any action. Or just taking a small action like **turning toward the door**.

esorscher
2014-11-21, 05:45 PM
Leroy holds his hands up. "I told you, I'm a reporter. Public opinion can be a powerful thing. A few choice words, people are praising your friend instead of condemning him." Dog growls menacingly.

jedipotter
2014-11-21, 07:38 PM
Gibiny Sleepwick "You really a reporter? Why you armed? Where is your scrolls and quills and stuff? You don't really look like a reporter. I think you might be an under cloak watchman. Can prove your not a watchman?"

esorscher
2014-11-21, 07:47 PM
"How can I prove I'm not something? What would qualify as such proof? I'm armed for this exact reason--sometimes my stories take me into dangerous company. And I've got a good memory, I don't write things down until I'm ready to print them. Some of the things I investigate can be controversial, and I don't want the subjects of my investigation to be in trouble if I get caught. Plausible deniability, have you heard of it?" He lowers his arms slowly.

jedipotter
2014-11-22, 04:12 AM
Gibiny Sleepwick "Nope, never heard of it. You sure talk big. Hengis Retheer is a freind of mine. We hunted and killed a boar together and ripped it's throat out with our own teeth. It was my best blood hunt ever. So much blood everywhere.

I'm just trying to be careful. I hear lots of people are out to get him, the watch and maybe even some bounty hunters or crazy horse lovers.

So, you really just want to talk to him? And put it in the paper? Really?"

esorscher
2014-11-22, 08:27 AM
"Honestly, that's all I want. I won't even print any personal details, anything anyone could use to identify him. Just explain what he's doing for the poor. The horses he beheads become food for them, and he seems to be something of a folk hero down in that district. Plenty of high society types with soft hearts will eat it up, and my paper will be all the better for it. What is a blood hunt?"

jedipotter
2014-11-22, 01:32 PM
Gibiny Sleepwick "A blood hunt is where you hunt without man made junk. Using just your own feet, hands and teeth to stalk and kill an animal. It's beautiful.

Hengis is not here. That guy is not Hengis, that is Labid. Hengis is at work now...and you don't bother Hengis at work, our he will cut you up.

But I can stop by and tell him about you. I'm sure he would like to get his story out. How about we meet at the Hunter's Flask tavern. It's just to the north of here, outside of town, and they got the best fresh kill meat around."

esorscher
2014-11-22, 01:43 PM
"Alright. You, me, Hengis, and my assistant, who you met earlier. Hunter's Flask tavern, this evening." Leroy holds out his hand to seal their agreement.

jedipotter
2014-11-22, 07:27 PM
Gibiny Sleepwick shakes on it "sorry, for all the cloak and dagger stuff...but can't be too careful, you know?"

esorscher
2014-11-22, 11:07 PM
"I totally understand," Leroy says. If there's nothing else, he'll exit the warehouse and meet up with Doubor and his horse. With them and his dog in tow, he'll head to the Hunter's Flask and take in the scenery, paying particular attention to employees, exits and entrances, and a general layout of the building.

jedipotter
2014-11-23, 12:50 AM
The Hunter's Flask is just a bit north of the town along the main road, and then a bit down a side path. The tavern is set on a small hill and is surrounded by a nice grove of mostly pine trees.

The building itself has a ''Z'' shape. With one end looking like a home, the middle a small shop and the other end the tavern itself. The whole building is made of fitted logs and wood. The home and shop are one level, but the tavern has a sightly high ceiling, though not exactly another level.

The common room is long and wide, you can see that the walls on three sides can swing open to give the whole place a pavilion like feel, though everything is closed now. The common room has a bar and kitchen on the one side that connects to the store, with a small hallway for customers too. The main room is a collection of tables and chairs, benches and stools....most made from stumps and most nailed to the floor.

There is a main entrance to the tavern in the front, and a back entrance to the tavern where the horse corral is in back. The tavern has no windows other then small half foot holes along the three walls with small shutters. the kitchen has a door behind the bar and a door that leads out back. A small hallway runs from the bar over to the shop and then to the home. The shop has a front main door, and a back door. The home also has a front and back door.

The whole room is full of mounted heads of all sorts of animals on the walls and ceiling. A couple of the heads are even moving and looking around. A large, maybe stuffed, bear stands in the middle of the room, slowly moving it's head, but only it's head, about to watch people.

The employees look all human, scruffy human males in furs working in the kitchen and at the bar and scantly clad in cut furs young females taking orders and serving.

There are a dozen or so patrons, ten human men, two dwarves and two halflings. Most have on hide armor, leather armor or just clothing..but everyone is wearing some type of animal fur such as a hat or cape or boots. Everyone is armed the you can see with a mix of swords, axes and spears.

esorscher
2014-11-23, 08:26 AM
Leroy will corral his horse, then sit at a table watching the door with Doubor across from him watching the back entrance to the corral. He'll order a mug of ale for both of them as they wait. He asks the waitress, "How do those stuffed heads move?"

jedipotter
2014-11-23, 02:16 PM
Senesta "I'm Senesta, I'll be your waitress. Ale is one silver a mug" she brings over two clay mugs. "The heads move by magic, of course. But no evil, dark, vile necromancy magic. The heads are not undead that they let out at night to guard the place. That rumor is false. The heads just move by moving magic. We got a spoon back in the kitchen that is the same, it moves and stirs without on one touching it."

esorscher
2014-11-23, 03:07 PM
Leroy puts up two silvers for the ale, plus another as a tip. "Quite interesting, thank you. I've never been here before. Is everyone in here a hunter?"

jedipotter
2014-11-23, 10:50 PM
Senesta Well, yes, I'd guess most of our customers are hunters. Or outdoor-men types. It is kinda the set up of the place. And we get lots of followers of the Wild Hunter here too. They through the best parties, and tip the best....even if they are a little rough."

esorscher
2014-11-24, 07:47 AM
"The Wild Hunter? Who is that?"

jedipotter
2014-11-24, 01:45 PM
Senesta "Well, you know the god of hunting. You know real like beast like hunting. I don't want to say his name. It's bad luck to say the name of a dark god. Tymora smile upon me"

esorscher
2014-11-24, 02:25 PM
"Ah, yes, of course. Well, I'm waiting for Hengis Retheer. When you see him, let him know where I'm sitting, please."

jedipotter
2014-11-24, 03:06 PM
Senesta "Oh, sure, no problem. He is a regular...he is in here all the time. Almost every day. And he is a good tipper."
she heads off to another customer....

As the afternoon moves on, customers come and go, but there are only about 12 in the coomon room at any one time.

Once it gets past five though, people start showing up in larger numbers. And soon enough the place is full of people in furs eating and drinking and having a great time.