PDA

View Full Version : [IC] The Awakening, Group 2

firstclassmail
2014-10-26, 07:00 PM
You find yourself in Mudhaven. The Empire's occupation of Purea is in full swing. Due to the rebellious nature of its inhabitants, the Empire has decreed that no one can enter or leave Purea save for sanctioned reasons. Because of this, multiple shanty towns now cling to Purea's outer walls like moths to a flame. Except there is no flame. Just mud, and lots of it. People seeking the protection of the city, and those looking for work were stuck outside and created these refugee villages. Most of the impromtu buildings of this refugee village are made out of clay and whatever could be found at the time. Robberies are common, resources scarce. The only work available comes from the Empire's legion which has regular work for those willing. When there is work, a great bell is rang in the middle of Mudhaven, and then the fortunate souls that are chosen by the notorious Captain Thresh have some money for food for the night.

Despite its poverty, some smart entrepreneurs have erected several services, although the quality of service is shabby at best. There is a makeshift Inn, with an outdoor bar area called the Witch's Broom, a couple food stalls, and a small wooden church to Pelor. All weapons and armorsmiths are owned by the Legion, and work day and night to restock the Empire's army.

Recently, resources are even more scarce because of a tribe of kobolds intercepting trade carts and merchants. You find out that another food shipment has been stolen, and soon the village will run out of what meager stocks it has.

Out of boredom for the night, you make your way to the Witch's Broom. The absolute stench of Mudhaven fills your lungs, but the flowing ale keeps it at bay. The warm wind blows across the outdoor bar, and the wooden tables and stools are occupied by all kinds of rag-clad peasants using their little coin to try and forget the plight they are in. The busty dwarf barmaid seems quite busy, and the stoic human bartender is missing an eye. There are some elven travelers in a group at one table, eating some bread and apples. At another, larger table is a group of Empire soldiers, clearly off duty, and quite drunk.

Lets have at it and let you guys figure out some info, and possibly meet each other.

Filtro
2014-10-26, 08:27 PM
Rajiir walked straight to the counter to engage the bartender in conversation. "So hey, how's tricks, man? Anyone around with problems needing solving in exchange for some coin? Also I will have a pint, please. Thanks."

The Half-Elf waited for a response and for his drink, thinking I can't wait to get out of this dump.

Sir Shadow
2014-10-26, 09:39 PM
Tragedy is what brought Hunter Valen to this ramshackle refugee town. Where pain and refuse collect, the undead are bound to arise, and in times of trouble, the church is hard-pressed to concern themselves with hidden threats when the needs of the living are so apparent. Goblins raiders were of little interest to him, though if he found the hunt lacking here, he may put his skills to other uses... After all, coin is coin, and even he needed to eat.

So far, such was the case. He had seen few signs of undead where he had looked, but it was only his first day here. A careful touch was necessary, after all, when moving in Empire territory; A raised cowl could only go so far to obscure his elven heritage. Though the refugees were a melting pot of races, it was not hard to notice the strong Empire presence, and the last thing he wanted was trouble with the living.

Still, those with a kind word to spare pointed him toward the Witch's Broom to slake his thirst, but upon entering, Valen couldn't help but wonder if their intentions were pure; the place was a dump. Given the state of the area, though, perhaps this was the best he could expect. He gracefully wove through the boisterous crowd and danced around the barmaid to reach a seat at the bar somewhat removed from the larger groups of patrons.

He waved the bartender with a raised hand when he managed to get his attention, "Ale... Wine, if you've got it."

HopeHubris
2014-10-27, 12:40 AM
"Ha, you don't want someone like that solving problems, he doesn't even have armour"
Vincent announces, as he enters the tavern
"You want a great and powerful adventurer like me, I've slain many a dragon with this very blade"
Calling his sword to his hand via his Swordbond and brandishing it to punctuate his sentence.

"And no drinks for me, need to keep in top shape for all the dragon-slaying and what-have-you, but I will takes some food"

Corlindale
2014-10-27, 06:25 AM
Chareth hesitantly crosses the treshold and enters the tavern. Dressed in stainless dark brown travel robes, he seems out of place in the crowd. His left boot lands in something slimy and undefinable, a look of extreme distaste on his face.

He scans the crowd intently and several of the patrons visibly grow uncomfortable when his gaze lingers on them. His expression is grim, but he seems to brighten up briefly as he notices the Imperial soldiers. His look quickly changes to disapproval when he notices the sheer number of empty beer mugs in front them, however.

He notices the commotion at the bar and his eyes visibly widen in astonishment as he gazes upon the men arguing there.

He moves to the bar, stepping very carefully to avoid staining his clothes further.

"Surely there is no need for such a competition. I am certain that the good citizens of this..." (he hesitates a split-second before continuing) "...fine settlement will be elated to accept help from everyone willing to do their part. In this difficult phase of transition, we are all required to help facilitate matters to the best of our abilities."

The speech sounds rehearsed and is delivered without much passion or expression. He pauses, seemingly lost in thought. Suddenly his thoughtful look shifts to undisguised astonishment – for the first time since entering the tavern he actually looks his young age: ”Did you really slay a dragon with that sword?”

HopeHubris
2014-10-27, 06:46 AM
"Of course I did, it was huge and green and breathed fire. Terrifying beast, until I cut its head off, anyway, only way to make sure they stay down, that is. "
Happy with this story, though he knows nothing about actual dragons, neither should the average peasant.

"There probably aren't many quests worthy of a great adventurer like me in this area, but I guess I can share... So, barkeep, my good fellow, are there any vile creatures in the area that need a good slaying?"
He asks, remembering the stories he had heard as a child
Innkeepers know everything about jobs and monsters in the area, the hub of adventure they are, in the words of the great swordmage

GPuzzle
2014-10-27, 09:43 AM
All of a sudden, a rather unimposing figure, resting at a stone column, lances a glance and speaks to the group of magic users that are on the bar stools.

"So tell me, why would you come to the hellhole that is Mudhaven, Mr. Great Adventurer? We're all here for a reason."

As he turns his head, he takes a quick glance to see whether or not he can steal someone there.

Can I make a Streetwise check to see if there's anyone who looks drunk and vulnerable enough for me to steal?

HopeHubris
2014-10-27, 09:56 AM
"I was just passing through, and figured I should offer the locals the opportunity to make use of my incredible prowess, what is your reason?"

GPuzzle
2014-10-27, 10:37 AM
"I live here."

HopeHubris
2014-10-27, 10:40 AM
"HA! As good a reason as any, I don't suppose you know of any pressing missions, quests, or adventures in the area?

GPuzzle
2014-10-27, 10:47 AM
"I think that maybe all of you don't understand what goes around in here. This is a hellhole, forgotten by all who once protected us. This is where humans become truly human. Where we give in to our most basic instincts. To hide away through usage of things that give us pleasure. To submit ourselves to the easiest way available. To go against all reason and logic."

He slowly raises his hood, revealing an intricate rapier near his belt, which without the handle would look like any vagabond short sword.

"I'm not a paragon of glory or anything like that. I'm already guilty. But the only adventure here is what we live day after day. It's still more interesting than life in the palace, though."

Sir Shadow
2014-10-27, 11:21 AM
The elf silently sipped his drink. It seemed like sitting at the bar was a poor decision on Valen's part. He should have assumed that the least populated place would soon fill with loud people. He stretches his neck in annoyance letting the his neck pop. Listening to the half-elf he can't but roll his eyes and mutter under his breath, "Imbecile..."

However, the man that soon engages him gains his attention for an entirely different reason... Valen checks his purses and clutches his cloak tighter around him.

firstclassmail
2014-10-27, 08:06 PM
The bartender stares incredulously at the group assembled before him.

With those damn gates closed, we get all kinds of sorts here I suppose. Maybe if I talk to them they won't cause trouble.

He quickly puts a toothy smile on and grabs drinks for those who ordered them.

"Glad you all could come to this fine establishment, fine establishment it being," he says with a thick accent.

He looks squarely at Vincent and says, "I'm not sure what dragons you be killing around these parts, save for those dragonborn killed in the war." He gives a quick glance to the soldiers at the table, and turns quickly back to the party gathered.

"If you all are looking for work, I've got some valuable information about tomorrow's morning bell. That is, if you have some extra coin for a poor soul."

firstclassmail
2014-10-27, 08:09 PM
Valen Only Spoiler

Your keen elf eyes can see nothing more in the bar that you didn't see when you walked in.

You do however sense that the bartender is telling the truth about his little secret he is willing to sell. The "dragonslayer" is clearly lying through his teeth.

HopeHubris
2014-10-28, 12:57 AM
"Exactly how much coin are we talking? I wouldn't want to have to pay in order to help out you and the townsfolk"
Vincent asks, thinking
(That, and I'm almost broke)

Sir Shadow
2014-10-28, 01:07 AM
Valen almost snorts as he sets his cup down, "Whether coin or time, some form currency is required to serve those in need." The elf stands before passing his hand over the counter and deftly leaving five (5) gold coins neatly stacked in its wake, "... and if you wish to gain, sometimes the pump must be primed."

Corlindale
2014-10-28, 04:28 AM
While I agree with the dragonslayer that offering payment to help seems like a curious transaction, I suppose we must try to respect local customs. I trust you will put the gold to use in aiding this community.

Chareth places a small pouch (10 gp) on the table.

GPuzzle
2014-10-28, 10:12 AM
"You know me, Adrian, and you know the budget's tight as always, like yours. Can't I help you, I don't know, making sure the undesirables stay out?"

firstclassmail
2014-10-28, 10:44 PM
Adrian's eyes bug out of his head as he sees the gold laid before him, and no sooner did his arm reach out, swift as a praying mantis, and the gold was gone. He looks up at those adventurer's assembled before him and puts on the biggest grin he can.

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, didn't know we had such fine folks here! Shotha, grab these gents some of our finest ale on the house," he yells at the barmaid. As she scampers by he gives her a quick slap on the bum.

He beckons for you to lean forward, and as you do he gives a quick glance at the guards to make sure they are outside hearing distance.

"So, tomorrow's bell is going to be a big one. Surely you all know about the kobold raidin our caravans and such. Soon we might not even have any food! Captain Thresh is gonna be here personally. He's going to offer a fine sum to anyone who can take care of this kobold problem. If you go sweet talk those guards over there, maybe spread the coin out a bit more, they might put you all at the front of the line. Maybe. If not, don't come looking back at me!" he says all this in a rushed hushed whisper.

The barmaid comes back from the stores and pours all of you the finest ale that Mudhaven has; almost bearable to even drink. As she comes back from outside, several of the village folk give you all a good hard stare, wondering how you came on such gold.

Corlindale
2014-10-29, 05:46 PM
"Interesting. Well, I'm sure those fine gentlemen will have no objection to our inquiries."

Chareth approaches the group of guards. He still eyes their beer mugs rather sceptically, but makes an attempt at a smile anyway.

"Glory to the Three and a good evening to you. It is my understanding that a number of the people assembled tonight are interested in helping with any problems this beautiful new colony might have. Certainly a testament to the special kind of devotion to the Empire we want to encourage in our new citizens! We heard there might be some minor trouble with kobolds - and since there is a real dragonslayer among us, I'm sure we will have no trouble with a gang of their feeble kin. So... could you perhaps tell us how to get in touch with your captain?"

Sir Shadow
2014-10-29, 09:15 PM
Valen feels the urge to slap himself in the face. Though no social butterfly, even he knew that was not the best way to sidle up to a group of drunk guards. He gives the bartender a look of exasperation, but he doesn't say anything for now, instead keeping to himself and just watching how the soldiers respond... Meanwhile, he'd make his own plans for loosening their tongues in the event that this ham-fisted approach failed...

Filtro
2014-10-30, 10:52 AM
Rajiir waited patiently, enjoying his drink, for the outcome of this discussion.

firstclassmail
2014-10-30, 09:56 PM
The group of guards immediately stop their revelry. A look of confusion spreads across their faces as someone praises the Empire with such adamant words. One of them pipes up, "Listen bub, we're just having a good time here on our night off, could you give us a break?"

One of them murmurs, "bloody peasants...", and they all laugh and return to their drinks.

HopeHubris
2014-10-30, 10:10 PM
"Peasants? You are calling me a peasant? I am a great adventurer and dragon slayer!"
Vincent shouts in mock outrage, he has an image to protect after all, even if he hasn't had a proper adventure yet

Sir Shadow
2014-10-30, 11:24 PM
The elf groans and leans further over his drink, trying to distance himself from the pair. Valen was curious to see how long the man would keep up this ploy, but it was already becoming a tad ridiculous, "He's probably never seen a dragon, let alone tickled one with that sword."

Corlindale
2014-10-31, 05:24 PM
Chareth shrugs and leaves the soldiers to their drinks. He decides that his first impression was correct. Clearly they must be locals hired on temporary duty, no true soldier of the Empire would treat a loyal citizen this way.

He returns to the bar, out of earshot of the guards: "It seems we must find this captain ourselves. I suppose we could try to bribe them, but if they are truly honest servants of the Empire that would only offend them."

Sir Shadow
2014-10-31, 06:14 PM
Valen raises an eyebrow at Chareth's remark, not sure if they were familiar with the same Empire or not. Either way, he will wait until the antics die down before he makes his move. "They're here to drink."

GPuzzle
2014-10-31, 08:03 PM
Matt spits his beer on the floor when he hears Chareth talking, and cannot hold a laugh.

"You guys know life even less than I thought you did."

Filtro
2014-10-31, 11:34 PM
After patiently waiting for a while, Rajiir speaks "Has anyone managed to find us some work, already?"

firstclassmail
2014-11-01, 09:40 AM
Upon hearing the commotion from the guard's table, and Vincent's incessant proclamation, the barkeep comes over.

"Oh, so sorry to have these blokes disturb you, have a round on me", he says to the guards.

After distributing some drinks on the house, the guard's murmur dies down, and the barkeep approaches you once again.

"Not a very tactful group, eh?", he says somewhat mockingly, "because you gave me so much coin, I'll get my ale wench to send Captain Thresh a gift for you. Tomorrow morning, at first light when the town bell rings, he will distribute some work, as usual. I'll make sure you all get put on the best assignment, the best! I'll also accommodate you in my fine Inn for the night, if you so desire."

The barkeep smiles.

"Any group that shells out that much gold in one sitting surely is worth keeping around", he thinks to himself.

Corlindale
2014-11-01, 03:10 PM
"Thank you, innkeeper. That sounds like a good plan, though I admit I'm not used to such circuitous methods. I look forward to meeting this captain tomorrow."

Sir Shadow
2014-11-01, 04:04 PM
Valen was going to try similar methods to win over the soldiers, but it looked like this would do just as well. "A word of advice for when you do: try not to talk."

Filtro
2014-11-01, 09:52 PM
Rajiir orders a second drink while he waits for his associates to do the talking.

Sir Shadow
2014-11-02, 05:30 PM
He looks over the rest of the guys that seemed roped into this. Though fate usually cast him in a solo role, he figured the extra bodies couldn't hurt. It still wouldn't hurt to know more about them though, "So since we seemed to be stuck together, what exactly are you all capable of? ... Except the 'dragonslayer', I've heard more than enough."

GPuzzle
2014-11-02, 05:39 PM
"I'm a bit of thief, to tell the truth. I also know a bit about warring, my old man thought that to me back when he was still alive. And of course, I know the area around here."

HopeHubris
2014-11-02, 05:51 PM
"Hmph"
Vincent 'says', folding his arms and pouting

Corlindale
2014-11-03, 04:53 PM
Chareth eyes Valen cautiously, noting his remark about tomorrow's meeting:

"I have studied a wide range of subjects and should be adequately equipped to identify any adversaries we might encounter. I also have certain...other powers. It is rather difficult to explain how they work, but in general terms: If someone tries to attack us, I try to convince them that they do not really want to attack us." He hesitates briefly, before continuing: "Unfortunately with the possible side-effect that their minds may be completely broken in the process."

GPuzzle
2014-11-04, 03:37 PM
"Hey, let's go from 'try not to talk' to 'try not to do anything', okay? I have plenty of reasons I'm downright worried about what **** you may come up with."

He then looks around the group, as if he's now talking to everyone:

"We wouldn't have lost a good amount of money if you guys had waited a day and gone after the kobolds. From now on, lie low. That applies double to you, Vincent."

HopeHubris
2014-11-04, 03:42 PM
Vincent folds his arms and continues to pout, not sure why everyone is being mean to him

Sir Shadow
2014-11-04, 04:13 PM
"What we seem to be lacking, however, is muscle. No offense, but none of you look like you could take more than a couple punches; me neither, for that matter."

HopeHubris
2014-11-04, 04:30 PM
"I could take more than you"
Vincent mutters to himself

Sartharina
2014-11-04, 04:56 PM
As the group continues to mutter, eventually the door cautiously opens - and there's a big wall of fur and muscle on the other side. It takes a few moments, but eventually, the massive minotaur manages to crouch down and shimmy into the tavern through the too-small door. "Durn blasted kobolds keep takin tha' weapon shipments an' delayin' mah new axe!" he half-bellowed, half-grumbled. "Barkeep, Ah'm gonnae need 'bout a dozen drinks 'fore I go out an' get mehself killed by a buncha scrawny kobolds fer bein' a blasted damn nuisance." he growled, trying to head over to the bar without putting a hoof through the floorboards.

Overall, the man-beast was very large, very strong, and currently wearing only a kilt, belt with his coinpurse, and bagpipes slung over his shoulder. The kilt... didn't seem to do a lot, other than plaid his lower body.

GPuzzle
2014-11-04, 06:18 PM
"Ah, gods! Geroffme, put on something less exposive! This is where we eat!", yells Matt, as he cover his eyes with his arm; he then shrugs a little bit and tries to point to more or less where the gigantic juggernaut is.

"I think that'll be enough muscle for the anti-raid raid."

Sir Shadow
2014-11-04, 07:25 PM
As the minotaur wedges itself through the door, Valen blink in mute surprise for a few moments before regaining his composure, "That'll work." He went back to sipping his drink, but his eyes couldn't help lingering on the kilt.

Corlindale
2014-11-05, 06:35 AM
Chareth seems shocked at the sight of the minotaur. He has read about these beasts, but it's the first time he sees one up close. He tries - and fails - to regain his composure, as he stutters:

"It...it seems Providence works in mysterious ways. I suppose your companion will be very helpful...very helpful."

He unconsciously backs a bit further away from the door as he speaks, visibly intimidated.

GPuzzle
2014-11-05, 11:39 AM
"He's just one of a bunch of two-dime backstabbing head-cutting scundrels. Like me!", says Matt, as he makes a flourish with his rapier before it accidentally hits his finger. "Ouch."

Sartharina
2014-11-05, 11:42 AM
The minotaur pulls out a coin purse, and sets it on the counter. If this place has 10 GP worth of cheap beer, he's gonna drink it.

firstclassmail
2014-11-06, 06:46 PM
As the night continues, drinks flow and good conversation continues. For a brief moment, the people of Mudhaven forget their worries and come together as a community. Eventually, the action in the bar begins to die down, and the barkeep shows you to the rooms he promised you. While they are nothing more than areas cordoned off with wooden dividers, the hay on the cots is surprisingly comfortable, although you suspect all the ale you drank might have to do with your complacent attitude. You lie down, close your eyes, and drift off to sleep.

You are awoken by the sound of a great bell. As your eyes open, light shines brightly and causes you to squint. It seems that Captain Thresh is calling the villagers together to distribute work to those he deems fit. You look out the window of the Inn and see the villagers shuffling slowly towards the middle of Mudhaven, where the bell is located in the town center.

The barkeep bursts in to, "Hurry, hurry or you'll miss your chance! Run down there. Captain Thresh will surely pick you after my good word!"

HopeHubris
2014-11-06, 07:03 PM
Victor wakes up, yawning and stretching
"What time is it?"
He says, looking around
"Oh, damn, I overslept, that's the bell for the thing, isn't it?"
He then puts his armour on as fast as he can and rushes out the door

Sir Shadow
2014-11-07, 01:52 AM
Valen is not in his cot when the bar owner bursts in. Not being one for revelry or excess, he does not drink heavily and heads upstairs to rest long before the others--after making sure arrangements are made to meet tomorrow, of course. So with a good night's sleep, he rose early to get the lay of the town before arriving in the square where the Captain called the populace to order. As the bell ringing takes place, he can be found there, checking the strings of his larger crossbow to ensure his kit is prepared for combat.

GPuzzle
2014-11-07, 03:41 AM
Matt is already on the outside, scanning across the road to see if there's anyone up for grabs.

Corlindale
2014-11-07, 08:03 AM
Chareth doesn't drink much, so he went to bed quite early the night before. He is quietly enjoying his breakfast as the bell begins to ring and the innkeeper calls out.

Chareth quickly rises, picks up his backpack and heads towards the town center. He is walking at a brisk pace, just short of running (actually running would be undignified, he feels - but at the same time he is afraid of missing something).

Filtro
2014-11-09, 12:52 PM
Rajiir arrives just in time.

firstclassmail
2014-11-11, 11:55 PM
The villagers arriving are wiping sleep from their eyes. Whether you had been here staking out the place, or made it just in time, it is clear that the Empire has a larger presence in Mudhaven than normal. The center of the village where the large bell is located is a huddled area, with mud huts on creeping in on either side. In the middle of it all stands several guards around a makeshift wooden chair. On it sits a man, who is clearly Captain Thresh, giggling like a school girl as a busty, somewhat grimy, dwarf woman sits on his lap passing her hands through his hair and whispering sweet nothings. At least you think it is a woman, it can be tricky with dwarves sometimes. The Captain himself is a large man,k however, since the war, it is clear that he may have lost some of his "edge" while assigned to manage the village. Several scars align randomly about his face, whether it be from combat or the pox, is unknown; a beard is present in clear violation of the Empire's dress code for soldiers.

Captain Thresh gives the lady a quick peck and stands up to address the crowd with a hard stare.

"I know you fine citizens are worried that the kobolds will bleed this village's supplies dry. I know that the occupation of Purea has been hard. I know that some of you are hungry and without work. Fear not for the Empire will provide," he says in a somewhat convincing voice.

"I have personally recruited the best mercenaries in the area to take care of this kobold business. Regular soldiers will most likely scare the kobolds into hiding. Sending this group will most likely produce better results. Once the kobolds are gone, hopefully the situation will improve."

"Would the mercenaries I recruited please stay while everyone else leaves. Long live the Emporer!"

He says the last bit with a beat on his chest. The villagers murmur an automatic reply and are then dispersed by the guards, clearly disappointed that no additional work will be allotted today. As Captain Thresh sits back on his chair, the dwarf woman again sits on his lap and begins whispering in his ear. The Captain has a wide grin.

Sir Shadow
2014-11-12, 12:14 AM
Pulling his hood up further over his head, Valen stand his ground against the shambling peasants leaving the gathering. Though he had little respect for the Empire, he could appreciate their notoriously regimented military, but apparently, that didn't apply to Captain Thresh. The man seemed entirely unkempt and lacked any decorum... And the way he messed with that dwarf... Valen stifled a shudder.

He was getting tired of this refugee camp. Kobolds had to be better.

GPuzzle
2014-11-12, 03:25 AM
"See? I told you guys we were not any paragons of virtue. Let's go, those kobolds aren't gonna kill themselves."

HopeHubris
2014-11-12, 05:25 AM
Arriving just in time, Vincent says
"Have no fear, kobolds are no match for my blade! Haha!"

Filtro
2014-11-12, 06:51 PM
"Let's go and make those half-draconic, half-rat droppings burn already", Rajiir grins.

Corlindale
2014-11-12, 07:29 PM
Chareth eyes the captain with poorly hidden disapproval, but nevertheless he quickly steps forward: "I will gladly serve the Empire in this. "

Sartharina
2014-11-12, 08:06 PM
Geroffme is late to arrive, his presence heralded by the omnipresent drone of his bagpipes. After his refreshing rest last night, he was dressed and ready with his full battle suit - chain hauberk, tartan plaid, and his mighty battleaxe strapped across his back. He didn't know if he was one of the mercenaries hired or not, but he wasn't going anywhere until he had a job.

firstclassmail
2014-11-13, 08:43 PM
The Captain shoos the dwarf away and addresses the group assembled before him once more. He eyes each one of the adventurer's up and down and gives a final nod of approval and clears his throat.

"That barkeep usually doesn't provide good intel, too many drunks in his place, but looks like he's spot on this time...spot on. I'm sure you know that kobolds have been destroying our supply lines. I'm not proud to admit it, but those little buggers seem to be able to skirt our patrols and we are spread thin at the moment trying to keep order. They won't approach normal Empire soldiers, but I figure they would try to rob a bunch of traders with a wagon full of goods."

The Captain gives a little chuckle at his genius.

"So far they've been along the western road, so I figure you grab this here wagon, pull it along the road and see what happens. Every kobold head you bring back, I'll give you 5 gold."

The Captain looks up and sees the dwarven "woman" waving to him from a window and starts to beat a hasty retreat,"I've got some...er....business to attend to, but if I come back and the wagon is still here, I'll take you for a bunch of yellow-bellies and find someone else to do the job. The guards should let you through as long as you bring the wagon with you."

As he says this, he points to a wagon down the street towards the western road out of Mudhaven. Some supplies can be seen under blankets.

With that, the Captain enters the mud hut where his dwarven wench awaits him.

No one is left in the courtyard except your new found companions.

HopeHubris
2014-11-14, 01:33 PM
"So, uh... Do we just go and grab the wagon? Then ride around until someone attacks us?"

GPuzzle
2014-11-14, 01:38 PM
"That is the captain's plan." Matt waits a few seconds, checking if there's a single member of the army within earshot, before continuing: "And from what you've seen of him and that dwarf, the captain's a moron."

HopeHubris
2014-11-14, 01:48 PM
"Pretty much, what kobold would want to attack us after they see me? Ridiculous plan, but uh, anyone got a better one?"

GPuzzle
2014-11-14, 03:22 PM
"Yes, we add more coins to that sack of yours and use the captain's plans with just that slight modification." A sarcastic grin forms on Matt's face. "In all seriousness, though, we'll need someone that looks frail enough to be attacked but is actually tough enough to take a hit, and the only person that seems able to take a hit besides you is the gigantic bull-headed behemoth over here. After all, deception is the greatest weapon."

Sir Shadow
2014-11-14, 05:05 PM
The elf looks at the minotaur, "Kobolds usually use numbers to swarm their target, but seeing someone his side could dissuade them."

Corlindale
2014-11-14, 08:10 PM
"Hmm, perhaps we could try to hide our largest warrior under the blankets? Then it would seem like we had more valuables to steal and less manpower to defend it.

Though we would have to pull his weight then...maybe it's not a great plan after all... "

GPuzzle
2014-11-14, 08:24 PM
"Well... Let's pretend he's one of the things we're bringing. You know, like a dead bull or something."

HopeHubris
2014-11-18, 11:27 PM
"Couldn't we just borrow a horse or something? I'm sure people would be willing to lend us one if it helps stop the kobolds, and it would mean we don't have to worry about the big ol' bull's weight"

Sir Shadow
2014-11-18, 11:32 PM
"The 'Big Ol' Bull' could probably pull it himself if he's not afraid of manual labor."

HopeHubris
2014-11-19, 12:54 AM
"Maybe not, but I'm willing to bet any Kobolds would be afraid of him, and the entire point of this plan is to look harmless enough to provoke them"

Sir Shadow
2014-11-19, 01:15 AM
"I know that's what I said earlier, but now that I think about it, if the kobolds have successfully been running raids against other transports--military included--it may have made them confident." Valen explains, "If they have numbers on their side, they may just attack anyways, and even if they don't, we might be able to spot the ambush and follow them back to where they're basing their operation out of."

"And we can ask around and find out where the caravans were attacked and try to pick up a trail there too."

HopeHubris
2014-11-19, 01:21 AM
"The easiest way to make a kobold feel secure is to give them a numbers advantage, so why not hide our numbers as much as possible? Have the minotaur hide under something on the cart, and have any stealthy people follow us discretely, maybe looping around to either flank any ambush or track them if they do end up running."

"But yes, finding out where they like to attack from is definitely a good plan, if they are at all consistent anyway"

Sir Shadow
2014-11-19, 01:24 AM
"Having others trail behind discretely isn't a terrible idea, but hiding the minotaur really isn't feasible. If we stuck him in the cart, he'd be at a disadvantage when the ambush started. The kobolds might be caught by surprise, but I doubt it would disarm them for long; they are known for their cunning."

Corlindale
2014-11-19, 08:49 AM
"Could that be the plan, then? Those who are good at staying hidden will trail a little behind, while the rest, including the minotaur, travel with the wagon? If we cannot hide our companion's size, we can at least try to hide our numbers and hope they bite.

I will travel with the wagon. I do not carry any visible weapons, hopefully the kobolds will not see me as much of a threat. "

HopeHubris
2014-11-19, 09:00 AM
"As a swordmage, I can call my blade to hand, so I'll leave it in the cart and try to look less intimidating, though it will be a struggle"

Sartharina
2014-11-19, 01:53 PM
"All Aboard! Ahahahahaha!" Geroffme cuts short any further conversation by setting his bagpipes in the cart, and then checking out what it was carrying. If they lacked access to livestock, he'd haul the cart himself, leaving the others to scurry to catch up.

GPuzzle
2014-11-19, 02:08 PM
"I guess we'll have to pull something off on the fly." Shortly after that, Matt jumps onto the cart, trying to catch a ride.

HopeHubris
2014-11-21, 03:30 AM
Vincent hides his sword in the cart, throws some loose clothes over his armour, joining Matt on the cart
"Ready when you are"

Corlindale
2014-11-21, 03:55 AM
Chareth rushes to the cart, gasping for breath as he catches up with the others.

firstclassmail
2014-11-22, 06:36 PM
Geroffme grabs the front of the cart and begins pulling it down the road. The others follow or ride behind, keeping a keen lookout for any kobolds that might appear. Soon Mudhaven becomes a spec in your vision, and plain turns to forest as the group continues down the dirt road. As day passes to night, vision dims, but the group finds some torches in the wagon itself. It seems that the kobolds have picked the road almost completely clean of travelers, for no other road weary souls are found.

Valen Spoiler:
Passive Perception - You can see a strange circular pattern in the road ahead. You aren't quite sure what it is, but you know it doesn't look like the rest of the road around it.

Sir Shadow
2014-11-23, 10:43 PM
Upon noticing something odd ahead, Valen discretely signals the others and hastily moves to group up. In hushed tones, he alerts them to a circular pattern on the road ahead, "Kobolds are known for their traps... I think we may have found their ambush point."

GPuzzle
2014-11-24, 03:28 AM
"And this little fella will have the honor to test it.", says Matt, as he picks up a small rock to throw at the trap.

Corlindale
2014-11-25, 02:37 PM
Chareth nods in response to Matt's suggestion, while he carefully watches the sides of the road for any signs of the hidden kobolds that are most likely nearby.

Perception: [roll0]