PDA

View Full Version : What's awesome about the games you are in?

FearlessGnome
2014-10-26, 07:07 PM
I thought it would be nice to just have a thread for talking about what you like about the games you are currently playing. To help others improve their own games and just to share after a particularly good session.

I've been DMing my first tabletop campaign (D&D 3.5) for the last month and I love it. The players seem to like it too, so that's good. None of them is much of a munchkin, they all behave reasonably towards the group (No hour long snack breaks/frequent phone checking/indications of cheating/etc), and they don't know all the books well enough to metagame about things their characters shouldn't know. I've got a Necromancer Wizard whose favourite spell is Fireball, a VoP Druid (Ok, that one is fairly strong), a Paladin who keeps ranting about every damn peasant in the region being evil and a Whirlwind Fighter. And none of them know about the central mechanic of the campaign; the Mothercyst feat. It's beautiful hearing them work out little bits and pieces and puzzling together what NPCs might be after and what the undead creatures (Skulking Cysts) stalking the countryside might be. The wizard got cysted today and they spent twenty minutes discussing whether they should operate on him to try to get the creepy "parasite tissue" out and risk killing him or leave it in place, since they have no idea what the thing does. After all, it doesn't *seem* to be doing anything. They eventually decided to just take a week off and go to the regional capitol and pay the most expensive healer in town to do it.

Meanwhile, the party's pet dog was cysted session one by the secret bad guy/helpful cleric quest giver, who has been scrying on the party at his leasure and mysteriously always knows where to find them. The paladin knows the dog detects as evil, but not why, and has refrained from murdering it while the others slept because he doesn't want to spark infighting. He's also waiting for someone to slip up and mention in character that the dog detects as undead (Everyone else knows, even if they don't understand why).

Today's session was especially good. I really think I lucked out and got a great group going. Just need to find a way to cyst the paladin.

TheCountAlucard
2014-10-26, 09:02 PM
I'm currently GMing a seafaring game. The PCs are a barbarian Heracles (acting as the ship's master of weapons), a fusion of Hector Barbossa and Davy Jones from Pirates of the Caribbean (captain, of course), a ghost-worshipping necrosurgeon (the ship's surgeon), the kleptomaniac daughter of a seafaring merchant (the ship's translator), and the absurdly-wealthy illegitimate son of an aristocrat (as the ship's purser).

AceAwesome96
2014-10-28, 10:25 PM
Our group is made of a group of friends and every game is like a multiplayer choose your own adventure sandbox. Just recently one of our group members played a Ninja after he lost his Cleric's character sheet, and he literally shredded an enemy ninja to pieces by just throwing a few shuriken at him. And who can forget that time where the group assassinated an elf general and kidnapped the elven royal family in their own castle?

YossarianLives
2014-10-28, 10:46 PM
My current game is somewhat of a guilty pleasure. I've been playing a evil cleric of Skeletor. His trademark is casting enlarge person, bulls strength, shield of faith, and running at things screaming. Also the DM has a really cool plot and we get to fly around in a floating skull fortress.

Nobot
2014-10-29, 05:10 AM
(...) a evil cleric of skeletor (...)

yes. Ultrayes!

GorinichSerpant
2014-10-29, 12:49 PM
we get to fly around in a floating skull fortress.

A skull fortress. I am curious, who are your friends playing?

gom jabbarwocky
2014-10-29, 08:14 PM
To reiterate GorinichSerpant,
...we get to fly around in a floating skull fortress. I am of the understanding that no one need feel guilty of enjoying any game that metal.