PDA

View Full Version : DM Help This Final Boss (I'm looking for advice, not for yelling)

Yael
2014-10-26, 08:01 PM
I've been approaching the end of my campaign, where the PCs have allowed Nyarlathotep to enter this* material plane, gave him control over the Infinite Staircase, and gave him no leash so he could do whatever his evil and chaotic plans are. In short, he annihilated Asmodeus and took control over Baator (after having some struggles with the other eight, but the PCs didn't dig up into this, so it's not that important), he tricked Demon Princes in order to truce the Blood War and change the battleground into the Seven Heavens of Celestia, where most gods that reside there were destroyed (from existence), including Heironeous, Moradin, Yondalla and Pelor (which is not a resident, but his duty was to intervene), Bahamut's plane was changed due to the background in the campaign, so he was untouched. Nyaruko-san, being the "lord" of the Infinite Staircase, has had presence into the inner planes. Also, Mechanus' innevitables had been busy trying to push the Crawling Chaos' actions back, but with little success.

Anyway, the PCs are close to end the campaign due to their closeness to the "end", where Yog-Sothoth could be awakened* by some crazy dragon cultists and a ritual to "awaken" Azathoth has also commenced so, basically, the end is near.

Most of this has been because of the PCs desicionmaking, which was not bad, but "good" for their greedy purposes, in any case, the final challenge would be against a snow elf which is the last of the snow elves from, and I'm clear, the entire multiverse. In this setting, every Snow Elf that existed lived into the Paraelemental Plane of Ice, where they were destroyed by Cryonax, and slowly hunted the rest who fled, also this elf is wearer of the "Wedded to History (Wanderer)" feat, he is literally 50,000+ years old (but at adult age, so no -0/-0/-0/+3/+3/+3 cheese was used). His character has been named "the Legend" and its a Saint who wanders the "multiverse" just for the sake of prosperity, keeping the bad guys from doing bad things, but because of an special permision with Ao, Rhaz'Koh cannot use its full power (refering as his entire experience during his long-long lifespan) into any plane unless certain circumstances meet.

During his lifespan, he has adquired certainly epic cappabilities, but not epic levels as is. His "permision" from Ao was to have all his experience, but being passed into generations. What Ao did in-game was to limit Rhaz's HD cap to 20 at any class and reset its HD to 1st after passing the 20HD cap, saving the previous 20 HDs into a past generation, and starting all over again. Giving him effectively "extra lifes".

At this point, you might see what this does, this IS a character with 20 levels in some classes (or built around some clases with a 20 HD cap), his total generations up to the current is 10th, so being at 10th Generation, he has in total 200 HDs worth of generations for his backup in case the "certain conditions" meet. This does NOT transform Rhaz'Koh into a 200 HD megamonster, instead, he calls forth upon his past generations to aid, having 9 20HD characters as his full potential (at the time), so the encounter are 10 20HD Snow Elves worth 50,000+ years of experience, all sharing their current knowledge, and able to "read" his actions, but their own personalities are separated, so while they all might think about the "best" strategy to fight as a team, their actions would be designated by their own minds. The fluff around this, is that from the Book of Nine Swords (Tome of Battle), there are Nine Swords of Legacy, this swords represent one Material Plane at some point, and as you might guess, every single one Rhaz'Koh wields one with proficiency and mastery, having the current Rhaz'Koh to wield a homebrewed version of the "Master Sword of the Nine", which is a Longsword that has its fluff around the nine disciplines.

Now, this IS the last challenge, and I know it rises to epic (more than that), just because of the Wedded to History feat and the character's background. The "certain circumstances" are being met, having Azathoth to Awaken and Yog-Sothoth being "freed" from the Far Realm, escaping Thoon's guard. The multiverse could end, with such power above the very same Ao (and the DM) being released the campaign could certainly come to an end.

This challenge isn't just a fight in a boss at the end of a dungeon, Rhaz'Koh has been trying to convince the party (which is a 7-member party composed of a Barbarian, another Barbarian, a Thrallherd, a Cleric, a Druid, a Gunslinger and a Deepstone Sentinel) to stop those actions and to please return the Sarcophagus that holds the "gate" to Yog-Sothoth to the hands of the light, and to aid him to stop Nyarlathotep's plans. I must add that Nyarlathotep and every other higher Lovecraftian deity (Hastur, Shubb-Nigurath, Yog-Sothoth, Azathoth) have been advanced either by class levels or outisder HDs, bypassing the 100 HD cap in some cases; being creator deities of the creation before the creation of the creation of Ao (the creator god), they must be virtually stronger in power and presence than Pelor, who stands by the 60 HD cap.

The point of this thread is to recieve feedback, because of the current condition of the party (14th-level characters), they may NEVER win a battle against Rhaz'Koh, who has no divine ranks himself (has DR 0, thought), but as a 10-man 20HD party himself he may be pretty much unbeatable by a 7-man 14HD party. But every time I put an exit, even with characters who give hints to make them leave the path they are following, the final battle will be against Rhaz, especially because I prepared this "challenge" even before starting this campaign, and when this campaign started, I decided to leave as is. I just dont know what to do now, the campaign should end by the next sathurday (refering to next week's, not 1st), and the party won't reach level 20 with this time cap.

I am, in such a trouble, because I don't like to do unfair TPKs, any TPK I've had is where the entire party knows that they are swallowing more than they can munch (or something like that?), and they always love me for the concepts I bring, and I know the won't blame me for their inminent death, buuuuuuuuuuuuut I don't feel good by doing this...

:frown:

As for the current 10-generation worth of experience from Rhaz'Koh, he has become into the following classes.
Generation one: Elven Wizard 5/Mage of the Arcane Order 10/Archmage 5
Generation two: Wizard 4/Sorcerer1/Ultimate Magus 10/Archmage 5
Generation three: Cloistered Cleric 20 (With the Lost Tradition feat, aiming for Intelligence as his key casting stat)
Generation four: Archivist 20
Generation five: Duskblade 20
Generation Six: Dragonfire Adept 20
Generation Seven: Sorcerer 6/Incantatrix 10/Metaphysical Spellshaper 3/Marshal 1
Generation Eight: Unarmed Swordsage 20
Generation Nine: Healer 5/Combat Medic 5/Healer 10 (which was subject to a healer remix at the start of the game)
Current Generation (Tenth): Warblade 10/Eternal Blade 10

* I'm refering to the campaign's Material Plane.
* More like freed.
Blue stands for a Joke this post.

JBarca
2014-10-26, 09:02 PM
I'm... a bit confused. Please, correct me if I'm wrong, but:

You have a BBEG who is, effectively, 10 separate characters? Meaning if the party walks into a room and finds "him" there, there will be 10 Snow Elves standing around, each wielding a special weapon, and each in possession of 5 (or so) more Class Levels (often including Caster Levels, apparently). If this is the case, the party is assuredly going to fail. Do they share a single HP pool? Or action pool? If so, it's better, I suppose, since they can focus on one (The Healer, I'd assume) and ignore all the rest and it won't be a problem. If not, they have no chance.

If the 10 "generations" all inhabit a single body, then I'm not sure how you're planning on doing this, at all.

If the first guess is accurate, then you could perhaps have a series of goals for the party? Something like, I don't know, stop certain rituals from occurring. These little goals could "lock" parts of the BBEG, leaving only certain generations available? Or, the strain on his person that is 50,000 years of age and 10 lifetimes worth of experience, means that he can't access the full 20HD of each generation? Perhaps, conveniently, he can only use 70-75% of his normal abilities, so the party is merely outnumbered, not outgunned?

Alternatively: don't make the party fight this guy? Why is he so bent on fighting them? Maybe they could convince him to sacrifice himself to seal the Elder Ones away? He's got a lot of HD, after all. A sacrifice there has to be worth something.

Finally: When the players fight him, they can lose. I mean, it's the end of the campaign anyway... Is it really that bad to end with a dramatic TPK? I've had a campaign end in failure before. The players loved it. I mean, what better way to have the party be remembered than have them (accidentally) directly destroy the Material Plane and everyone on it?

Just some thoughts.

Yael
2014-10-26, 09:41 PM
I'm... a bit confused. Please, correct me if I'm wrong, but:

You have a BBEG who is, effectively, 10 separate characters? Meaning if the party walks into a room and finds "him" there, there will be 10 Snow Elves standing around, each wielding a special weapon, and each in possession of 5 (or so) more Class Levels (often including Caster Levels, apparently). If this is the case, the party is assuredly going to fail. Do they share a single HP pool? Or action pool? If so, it's better, I suppose, since they can focus on one (The Healer, I'd assume) and ignore all the rest and it won't be a problem. If not, they have no chance.

Not like the BBEG, more like the BGG... But yes, it is ten separate characters. The "battleground" is set at the peak of the tallest mountain in the planet (that they know). Yes, they are mostly having caster levels, but only the "mailman" build would be optimized (even while every other caster has access to nineties...) They all share the same HP pool (Combined... But yes), and their action pool is separated into five different turns.

If the 10 "generations" all inhabit a single body, then I'm not sure how you're planning on doing this, at all.

They don't kinda inhabit the same body, but their souls are stored by Ao, who is restricting Rhaz'Koh's abilities.

If the first guess is accurate, then you could perhaps have a series of goals for the party? Something like, I don't know, stop certain rituals from occurring. These little goals could "lock" parts of the BBEG, leaving only certain generations available? Or, the strain on his person that is 50,000 years of age and 10 lifetimes worth of experience, means that he can't access the full 20HD of each generation? Perhaps, conveniently, he can only use 70-75% of his normal abilities, so the party is merely outnumbered, not outgunned?

I think that is a pretty awesome idea; the second, of course. The party is up to let the rituals going, that's why the "special circumstances" are meeting, but I shall think a way to nerf the Legend's power with the party's actions, that's a pretty good one that I didn't think about.

Alternatively: don't make the party fight this guy? Why is he so bent on fighting them? Maybe they could convince him to sacrifice himself to seal the Elder Ones away? He's got a lot of HD, after all. A sacrifice there has to be worth something.

They would if they cared about the Material Plane, but they are all a CE party that until a few sessions were under the command of Nyarlathotep, so it is quite not that possible, but I'll double Rhaz's efforts to stop the party in the pacifist's way, he can't rush into the party as a single 20HD level character, because the damage output the party has is pretty damn high, so even as an Eternal Blade, he might geet rid, and of course, he knows his limits.

Finally: When the players fight him, they can lose. I mean, it's the end of the campaign anyway... Is it really that bad to end with a dramatic TPK? I've had a campaign end in failure before. The players loved it. I mean, what better way to have the party be remembered than have them (accidentally) directly destroy the Material Plane and everyone on it?

I know, but I like happy endings (not sure how those works with CE characters though).

Just some thoughts.

I appreciate your answer.

Kymme
2014-10-26, 09:48 PM
You could always take a page from Final Fantasy, and divide the fight into phases. Essentially, you'd give the boss ten forms. Say, he starts the combat in generation 1, then once gen 1 has been defeated, he transforms into gen 2, and so on. That way, the party would have action advantage on their side, but the boss would have resources and power to work with. The biggest problem would be the forms focused primarily on support. That is a pretty easy dilemma to solve, though. All you have to do is have some CR ~11 baddies show up to serve as fodder to be buffed.

I think you've made yourself a pretty cool end boss. Now all you've got to do is make sure the fight is fun and exiting!

Yael
2014-10-26, 09:57 PM
You could always take a page from Final Fantasy, and divide the fight into phases. Essentially, you'd give the boss ten forms. Say, he starts the combat in generation 1, then once gen 1 has been defeated, he transforms into gen 2, and so on. That way, the party would have action advantage on their side, but the boss would have resources and power to work with. The biggest problem would be the forms focused primarily on support. That is a pretty easy dilemma to solve, though. All you have to do is have some CR ~11 baddies show up to serve as fodder to be buffed.

I think you've made yourself a pretty cool end boss. Now all you've got to do is make sure the fight is fun and exiting!

I am actually looking up for this (and JBarca's idea for nerfing the boss).

A ten-phase boss would be just awesome~~ :D

EDIT: Thanks by the way *flush*

Red Fel
2014-10-26, 10:06 PM
From what it sounds, they seem determined to collide with this guy. When there is a major NPC who's a real powerhouse, you have three choices: Play him cheap. Throw the match. Let the PCs win. Do not do this. At best, you've given the PCs a worthless victory; at worst, you've broken the illusion, ruined their confidence in you as a DM, and generally spoiled the mood for a major climactic moment. Just don't. Play him gentle. Don't throw in the towel, but recognize that this guy is a Big Good, and he probably doesn't want to completely murder the PCs. Either beat them down to disability, or use his colossal powers to bring them back after killing them (perhaps with a Geas/Quest to help him out). It's heavy-handed, but it makes the point. Play him honest. This, in my mind, is the best option. Your PCs have been warned not to do this thing. They do it, they die. It's a poor climax, but it's the direct and foreseeable result of their actions. You haven't been hiding the ball. This wasn't a trick. They reap what they sow.
One of the hardest DM lessons is the realization that you have to let the PCs ruin their own victories. If they choose to fight this guy, give them the fair and full brunt of his power. But, if they try to flee - or switch sides, or surrender, or otherwise submit - remember that he's a Big Good. Assuming they're not just trying to pull a fast one (maybe have a Zone of Truth over the battlefield to prevent such things) he should be more willing to work with them than over their dead bodies.

Be aware that, while this does sound like an awesome encounter (it's like Dvati taken up to 11, it's sick and I love it), it was designed for a much more powerful party. While you're not tricking them by warning them that he's too dangerous to face, you are making this an unbalanced, high-level encounter. That part, at least, is your choice. If your party were level 6, instead of 14, and you had to accelerate to the endgame of your campaign, I think it's pretty clear this would be "not cool" territory. You've made an awesome encounter here, but by refusing to budge on the details, it's going to be a curb-stomp. And even if you play it honestly, it's going to feel like you turned to the players and said, "Hey, guys, I made this awesome character, watch as he stomps you all and saves the day himself." It's a bad position.

Here's the thing about the encounter. Basically, his strengths are: Power: Each one of him is a level 20 character. Versus a team of level 14 characters. It's going to hurt. Action economy: He's Agent Smith. The great thing about him is that there's so many of him.
The former is manageable. A tactically smart team can take down single opponent who has more raw power. Think about the stories of how many ways there are to kill the Tarrasque, or slay a statted deity.

The latter is murder. If the party fights all of him at once, they lose, full stop. Even if the party was also all level 20, they would lose. Numbers matter, and that's the power of the action economy. The best way to give the PCs a fighting chance is to limit his action economy.

So while I love the encounter fluff, I do think you need to bring down his action economy. Kymme's stage-battle idea is a good one; have them fight the "generations" successively, as opposed to all at once. Another option is to have him able to control only a finite number of his shells at a time. Drop all ten in the battlefield, but he controls perhaps one or two at a shot, and the rest just sort of stand there, because he has to consciously operate them (like puppets). This creates the added option of tactical maneuvering, using his own bodies as obstacles. It also means that those bodies are vulnerable while not being operated (decide if you want the PCs to be able to coup de grace them). Suddenly, his strength is also a weakness.

I know, but I like happy endings (not sure how those works with CE characters though).

Actually, CE characters can get awesome happy endings. One of my favorites is to have them descent into the Abyss physically, at full power, and carve out a blood-soaked dominion for themselves. Give them the full Conan ending; grim monarch on a throne of bones, overseeing a grizzly, gore-crusted kingdom, a selection of blades propped against the side of the throne, each covered in caked entrails. You know, good times.

afroakuma
2014-10-26, 10:27 PM
*looks at thread title*

It's like I was anticipated. Well then. :smalltongue:

sideswipe
2014-10-27, 06:57 AM
you wan't the players to avoid this fight and for plot to happen. you have tried very very hard without railroad-ing. well done first of all.

the players have obviously found their own route when it comes to the campaign and are either not aware or do not care that faeces if in the air conditioning.
this is nothing you can really do so close to the end, they want evil to win or evil is so close that they won't anyway.

as for avoiding this boss battle, you have tried to manipulate the PC's away from this obvious TPK but they keep coming back for more. its not your fault. in every campaign there is usually an end that despite all warnings and regardless of what you say to them there is a TPK. if you don't let them do it its railroad-ing. if you do its a TPK.

next session warn them that they are going down a road you did not foresee in your campaign, and they may end up fighting someone that you did not intend them to face. if they do this it will be the toughest challenge they may ever face, but not un-killable. and make sure they know that's the toughest challenge in any campaign ever.

after that, you have a clear conscience to do whatever you like with him. they have had enough warnings and have been deterred enough and they still want to go on.

DarkEternal
2014-10-27, 07:20 AM
I'd advise you to just use a single guy for the main boss, and when the party kills of a form, a second one rises. Use a die roller to see which one rises up and get a new initiative each time that he does. So basically, you fight them with one level 20 guy(if you want, every form may rise in it's best shape, meaning it has all the buffs and protections that a character of his standing would already have on him at the start of battle) and when he croaks, another rises to take his place from the same place where the last one died off.

Feint's End
2014-10-27, 07:55 AM
I would expect you to play him like you planned him. 10 level 20 characters and all. They have been warned multiple times and if they still don't get the hint then this is the end they chose.

Let them fight ... maybe it will surprise you but make a plan for their likely failure. Like let them be reborn in abyss as demons where they now plan their revenge against ao and the elf or something like that. Think up a good story. This can be as rewarding as winning the last battle.

Crake
2014-10-27, 08:30 AM
Hmm, with the phases idea, 10 actually is a really nice number to work with, because it's a triangle number

You can split the fight into 4 stages, starting with 4 generations, when the PCs are at full power, then dropping the number by 1 each time and picking a new set of 3, then 2 and then finally, 1 (probably have the single one be the master of the nine version). Each time, the fight gets easier, but the PCs have less of their resources available to them, so it's still challenging.

The Insanity
2014-10-27, 08:44 AM
Maybe this'll be of some use. (http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Six_Paths_of_Pain)

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-27, 09:06 AM
Hmm, with the phases idea, 10 actually is a really nice number to work with, because it's a triangle number

You can split the fight into 4 stages, starting with 4 generations, when the PCs are at full power, then dropping the number by 1 each time and picking a new set of 3, then 2 and then finally, 1 (probably have the single one be the master of the nine version). Each time, the fight gets easier, but the PCs have less of their resources available to them, so it's still challenging.

I'm seconding this idea. It won't drag as long as fighting them all one at a time, especially since the PCs will know when they're reaching the end (as opposed to individual sequential fights, because they don't necessarily know how many there are but when they see the pattern they can follow it through to realize there's only 10).

Bronk
2014-10-27, 12:45 PM
I am, in such a trouble, because I don't like to do unfair TPKs, any TPK I've had is where the entire party knows that they are swallowing more than they can munch (or something like that?), and they always love me for the concepts I bring, and I know the won't blame me for their inminent death, buuuuuuuuuuuuut I don't feel good by doing this...

I feel for you, because it seems like you've been gearing up for this confrontation for a while, and you don't have much time left to fit it in! I would definitely agree... if the fight goes exactly as you've stated, your players will be toast. Even one Level 20 caster could be their undoing, let alone this giant party you've created.

However, maybe you could consider that your campaign has gone in an odd direction as it's run out of time? I suggest looking at it from the players point of view for maximum fun.

Does the party know this guy is super powerful compared to them? You mentioned that he's been trying to convince them to change their ways... of course they're not going to though. Everything has gone their way so far. Has he threatened them? Have they researched him at all? If they do, tell them part of his/her story and why he/she is scary.

Why hasn't the snow elf just killed them already? Is it because they didn't have the sarcophagus it wants on them? If they meet up with him later, will they have it on them then?

Basically, from their point of view, should they even realize this guy is a threat, they could:

A: Kill snow elf before it's ready. They might do this anyway! Heck, why haven't they?

B: Do some research, then keep the 'special conditions' from occurring to bring out this guy's true power. You haven't said what they are, but they could game the system make sure it's only his current form that they fight.

C: They could just run away from this guy until they can drop the macguffin off with one of the elder evils they know, and let them take care of it, and similarly, while the snow elf is wasting its time with the Yog-Sothoth macguffin, it could lose its chance to stop the already ongoing Azathoth ritual...

D: Team up with an elder evil/great old one... do they still have Nyarlathotep's number?

Basically, I'd say that with limited time remaining in your campaign, you should probably let your players try to finish up whatever goals their character's have and try to be open to those nifty, desperate, last minute plans that are so fun to remember later.

Yael
2014-10-29, 10:07 PM
*looks at thread title*

It's like I was anticipated. Well then. :smalltongue:

I... Wow... u_u

you wan't the players to avoid this fight and for plot to happen. you have tried very very hard without railroad-ing. well done first of all.

the players have obviously found their own route when it comes to the campaign and are either not aware or do not care that faeces if in the air conditioning.
this is nothing you can really do so close to the end, they want evil to win or evil is so close that they won't anyway.

as for avoiding this boss battle, you have tried to manipulate the PC's away from this obvious TPK but they keep coming back for more. its not your fault. in every campaign there is usually an end that despite all warnings and regardless of what you say to them there is a TPK. if you don't let them do it its railroad-ing. if you do its a TPK.

next session warn them that they are going down a road you did not foresee in your campaign, and they may end up fighting someone that you did not intend them to face. if they do this it will be the toughest challenge they may ever face, but not un-killable. and make sure they know that's the toughest challenge in any campaign ever.

after that, you have a clear conscience to do whatever you like with him. they have had enough warnings and have been deterred enough and they still want to go on.

I'll introduce one of Nyarlathotep's aspects from a previous campaign we played, I'll make her to inform them about what Rhaz'Koh is and can do, but I tend to limit information they do not seek, because it may be seen as if I was playing for them.

I'd advise you to just use a single guy for the main boss, and when the party kills of a form, a second one rises. Use a die roller to see which one rises up and get a new initiative each time that he does. So basically, you fight them with one level 20 guy(if you want, every form may rise in it's best shape, meaning it has all the buffs and protections that a character of his standing would already have on him at the start of battle) and when he croaks, another rises to take his place from the same place where the last one died off.

This might work, but having them fight ten battles without propper resting could be too much, isn't it?

I would expect you to play him like you planned him. 10 level 20 characters and all. They have been warned multiple times and if they still don't get the hint then this is the end they chose.

Let them fight ... maybe it will surprise you but make a plan for their likely failure. Like let them be reborn in abyss as demons where they now plan their revenge against ao and the elf or something like that. Think up a good story. This can be as rewarding as winning the last battle.

This... Seems funny haha!
I may continue my campaign after all. I am moving from my current house to one of my friend's, so I might have chance to continue the campaign, an abyss-themed campaign would work too, as long as I am providen with some info please?

I'm seconding this idea. It won't drag as long as fighting them all one at a time, especially since the PCs will know when they're reaching the end (as opposed to individual sequential fights, because they don't necessarily know how many there are but when they see the pattern they can follow it through to realize there's only 10).

This.

I feel for you, because it seems like you've been gearing up for this confrontation for a while, and you don't have much time left to fit it in! I would definitely agree... if the fight goes exactly as you've stated, your players will be toast. Even one Level 20 caster could be their undoing, let alone this giant party you've created.

However, maybe you could consider that your campaign has gone in an odd direction as it's run out of time? I suggest looking at it from the players point of view for maximum fun.

Does the party know this guy is super powerful compared to them? You mentioned that he's been trying to convince them to change their ways... of course they're not going to though. Everything has gone their way so far. Has he threatened them? Have they researched him at all? If they do, tell them part of his/her story and why he/she is scary.

Why hasn't the snow elf just killed them already? Is it because they didn't have the sarcophagus it wants on them? If they meet up with him later, will they have it on them then?

Basically, from their point of view, should they even realize this guy is a threat, they could:

A: Kill snow elf before it's ready. They might do this anyway! Heck, why haven't they?

B: Do some research, then keep the 'special conditions' from occurring to bring out this guy's true power. You haven't said what they are, but they could game the system make sure it's only his current form that they fight.

C: They could just run away from this guy until they can drop the macguffin off with one of the elder evils they know, and let them take care of it, and similarly, while the snow elf is wasting its time with the Yog-Sothoth macguffin, it could lose its chance to stop the already ongoing Azathoth ritual...

D: Team up with an elder evil/great old one... do they still have Nyarlathotep's number?

Basically, I'd say that with limited time remaining in your campaign, you should probably let your players try to finish up whatever goals their character's have and try to be open to those nifty, desperate, last minute plans that are so fun to remember later.

So...

Rhaz'Koh is a Saint sent by Ao (yes, Ao), so he stands for a Vow of Nonviolence but not as the feat, but a voluntary vow where his mantra is to not hurt or kill, except if the "certain conditions" met. The party know he is strong, they have heard about the Snow Elf that has fifty thousand years and is considered "A Legend" (actually, people at the plane call him: The Legend), so they could think about his power/capacity.

A might work, if they found where he is, or knew what he is cappable of (which I am going to inform them with the Aspect of Nyarlathotep). B is being done as well, but I still don't know if this is a good idea, they are getting the Necronomicon anyway, so this info may rise. C is true, the party does know about Yog-Sothoth's sarcophagus, but have no clear information about Azathoth's ritual, so, because I tend to run my games based on Majora's Mask Time, they may be too late. As for D, the party tend to rely too much on Nyarlathotep, for information and guide, problem solving and else, for which Nyaruko is busy right now, and he already told them that Yog-Sothoth's awakening have him without care, but Azathoth's may be somewhat problematic.

I'll end up agreeing with you at the last point, but their characters are very well developed. Two last backstories are having their climax and, with the awakening of Cthulhu and Hastur, they have their hands full (without mention that they want to kill Dagon and Hydra).