PDA

View Full Version : Most powerful LA +0 Races?

atemu1234
2014-10-26, 08:39 PM
What is (arguably) the most powerful and for which classes? Humans go without saying, really.

Forrestfire
2014-10-26, 08:43 PM
Off the top of my head, the best LA 0 races are probably something like:

Human
Necropolitan Human (with Human Heritage)
Dragonborn Warforged
Dragonborn Water Orc
Necropolitan Grey Elf
Dragonwrought Kobold
Lesser Aasimar

Aegis013
2014-10-26, 08:46 PM
Strongheart Halfling is on par with Human.
Dragonborn Mongrelfolk might be near the level of the above list for its +6 Con.
Whisper Gnomes are also quite good.

emeraldstreak
2014-10-26, 08:50 PM
Depends on your goals.

Bluydee
2014-10-26, 08:52 PM
Magic Blooded Lesser Aasimar is +4 charisma.

WhamBamSam
2014-10-26, 08:56 PM
Dragonborn Anthropomorphic Bat is a good one that hasn't been mentioned yet.

The Beguiler from Shining South is LA+0 (Cohort), but might also bear a mention.

Jeff the Green
2014-10-26, 09:28 PM
Lesser Aasimar

They don't get talked about as much, but lesser tieflings are nearly as good; Charisma's eminently dumpable, particularly among classes that want both Intelligence and Dexterity. And their other benefits are better than the Aasimar's.

AmberVael
2014-10-26, 10:37 PM
They don't get talked about as much, but lesser tieflings are nearly as good; Charisma's eminently dumpable, particularly among classes that want both Intelligence and Dexterity. And their other benefits are better than the Aasimar's.

Even less mentioned is Lesser Zenythri, likely because it is 3.0 material. That said, +2 Str, Dex and Wis only followed by a -2 cha, with 1/day truestrike? Pretty nice.

Curmudgeon
2014-10-26, 10:54 PM
Even less mentioned is Lesser Zenythri, likely because it is 3.0 material. That said, +2 Str, Dex and Wis only followed by a -2 cha, with 1/day truestrike? Pretty nice.
It's not 3.0 once you add FREE D&DŽ V.3.5 ACCESSORY UPDATE Monster Manual II, available here (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a).

WhamBamSam
2014-10-26, 11:27 PM
Even less mentioned is Lesser Zenythri, likely because it is 3.0 material. That said, +2 Str, Dex and Wis only followed by a -2 cha, with 1/day truestrike? Pretty nice.I'm a fan of Lesser Mechanatrixes, now you mention it. +2 Int, +2 Con, -2 Dex, -2 Cha is just okay, but the electricity healing is fun.

atemu1234
2014-10-26, 11:33 PM
I'm a fan of Lesser Mechanatrixes, now you mention it. +2 Int, +2 Con, -2 Dex, -2 Cha is just okay, but the electricity healing is fun.

Where are all these?

WhamBamSam
2014-10-26, 11:38 PM
Where are all these?Mechanatrixes are in the Fiend Folio and the rules for Lesser Planetouched are in the Player's Guide to Faerun.

Venger
2014-10-27, 12:20 AM
Neraph is very handy for being the only LA 0 outsider straight out of the box.

Ruethgar
2014-10-27, 06:15 AM
Anthropomorphic Ravens(Fly 20ft, -6 Str, +2 Dex, +6 Wis), and Muckdwellers(Free action 25ft range blinding attack based off Dex, free weapon finesse, +3 natural armor, -6 Str, +6 Dex, -2 Wis, -2 Cha) are both pretty good.

Of course you'll want to throw on Desert/Arctic/Wilderness Dweller, Magic Blooded, Unseelie Fey, Dragonborn, and Necropolitian to taste.

sideswipe
2014-10-27, 07:05 AM
depending on what you are doing Illumians are pretty good.

also a race with a bunch of templates is not really a race its a race with a bunch of templates.

AnonymousPepper
2014-10-27, 07:23 AM
Aleithian Dwarf. +2INT +2CON -4CHA, naturally psionic with some great PLAs (Empty Mind 3/day is particularly nice), other dwarf traits, only downsides are dwarf movement speed and light sensitivity (which can be fixed for what, 10gp?). Unless you're a charisma-based class, but then why aren't you a magic-blooded lesser aasimar or a magic-blooded DWKobold?

A Tad Insane
2014-10-27, 09:16 AM

Human
Necropolitan Human (with Human Heritage)
Dragonborn Warforged
Dragonborn Water Orc
Necropolitan Grey Elf
Dragonwrought Kobold
Lesser Aasimar

Necropolitan is actually a +1 LA template, though worded weird.

OldTrees1
2014-10-27, 10:03 AM
Necropolitan is actually a +1 LA template, though worded weird.

Necropolitian is a +1LA with an automatic free LA buy off that does not impede your ability to use LA buyoff on other LA.

Or in other words: It costs you xp but xp is a river.

Ruethgar
2014-10-27, 10:04 AM
Why do people always consider the anthro bat before the raven? Unless your DM rules that they keep their special qualities, ravens are better for having a net +2 in stats, and definitely better for dragonborn either way for having no special qualities to relinquish.

A Tad Insane
2014-10-27, 10:41 AM
Necropolitian is a +1LA with an automatic free LA buy off that does not impede your ability to use LA buyoff on other LA.

Or in other words: It costs you xp but xp is a river.
Yes, but the OP is asking for no LA to start with.

I'm just being nitpicky

Starmage21
2014-10-27, 11:10 AM
Elan is good too. No bonuses or penalties to speak of, but a flat type-change to Aberration cuts you out of some ****ty early game effects like Hold Person

Ruethgar
2014-10-27, 11:12 AM
Elan is good too. No bonuses or penalties to speak of, but a flat type-change to Aberration cuts you out of some ****ty early game effects like Hold Person

Also the quickest and easiest way to be ageless. Yay partial immortality!

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-27, 12:28 PM

It also lets you do some very, very nasty things with Alter Self.

Thrice Dead Cat
2014-10-27, 02:03 PM
Primordial Menta Cyclopeans are pretty nice. -4 Str -2 Dex +4 Int and +4 Cha. You also get augury as an SLA 3/day, but it's limited other creatures. All in all, not a bad race for either the arctic out magic-blooded templates.

Adverb
2014-10-27, 03:26 PM
depending on what you are doing Illumians are pretty good.

also a race with a bunch of templates is not really a race its a race with a bunch of templates.

What are Illumians really good at? IME, every build I have where I think "ooh, and I could be an Illumian and..." I always end up thinking that I'd be better off if I played a human.

Illumians are *awesome*, don't get me wrong, but...

Venger
2014-10-27, 03:29 PM
What are Illumians really good at? IME, every build I have where I think "ooh, and I could be an Illumian and..." I always end up thinking that I'd be better off if I played a human.

Illumians are *awesome*, don't get me wrong, but...

tons of stuff. they're most noteworthy for caster level shenanigans and deriving bonus spls from str or dex with their power sigils. Illumians are (human), so there's nothing they can do illumians can't feats/class wise.

Adverb
2014-10-27, 03:32 PM
The bonus spells thing is neat, but since that doesn't change DC (or level of spells you can cast) I find it often leaves me cold.

And, yeah, they're humanish, so they can still be Able Learners and such, but they don't get the #1 best part of being human, the extra feat.

Venger
2014-10-27, 03:41 PM
The bonus spells thing is neat, but since that doesn't change DC (or level of spells you can cast) I find it often leaves me cold.

And, yeah, they're humanish, so they can still be Able Learners and such, but they don't get the #1 best part of being human, the extra feat.

well, you'll pick it when you focus on buffs (druid, cleric, etc) or if you're a sor/wiz, you'll pick your spells accordingly (i.e. no saves on offensive spells)

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-27, 03:50 PM
well, you'll pick it when you focus on buffs (druid, cleric, etc) or if you're a sor/wiz, you'll pick your spells accordingly (i.e. no saves on offensive spells)

The issue with the bonus spell ability score-changing sigils is that they don't change the ability score that determines the highest level of spell you can cast. An Aeshkrau Illumian Wizard still needs 19 Intelligence to cast ninth-level spells. If it changed that ability, Illumians would be crazy good, because you could have true muscle wizards.

WhamBamSam
2014-10-27, 04:21 PM
Naenhoon Illumian is pretty great if you're an Arcane type with Turning/Rebuking but no DMM (say a Dread Necro, Death Master, or Sacred Exorcist Sorcerer).

Soranar
2014-10-27, 04:40 PM
a jermlaine is quite powerful in its own right (+6 wisdom and tiny makes for one very handy cleric or druid)

Irk
2014-10-27, 04:58 PM
Like most questions regarding race, it's very subjective. Personally, I'm a big fan of the Unseelie Fey Human, debuffing is a style that really appeals to me.

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-10-27, 05:11 PM
Aleithian Dwarf. +2INT +2CON -4CHA, naturally psionic with some great PLAs (Empty Mind 3/day is particularly nice), other dwarf traits, only downsides are dwarf movement speed and light sensitivity (which can be fixed for what, 10gp?). Unless you're a charisma-based class, but then why aren't you a magic-blooded lesser aasimar or a magic-blooded DWKobold?

Because Magic-Blooded and the other templates in that article are only applicable to the standard PHB races.