PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder D&D 3.5 classes in Pathfinder

Xuldarinar
2014-10-27, 04:57 AM
In this i'd like to address strictly classes that lack official successors under pathfinder. Assuming they are updated in terms of class skills and certain class mechanics (smiting, domains, channel energy); What classes can hold their own in a pathfinder group?

What about classes that could only hold their own if gestated with one another?

And while I am at it, though I am focusing mostly on base classes, I might as well specifically ask about one PrC.

Updating its mechanics (prerequisites, skills, smite, command undead, lay on hands, saves..), while I doubt it would be fantastic, would it be remotely advisable to use the blackguard? No, the antipaladin does not count, given it is more of an update of the antipaladin or the paladin of slaughter. Not calling the pathfinder antipaladin the blackguard was deliberate so it could still be used.

As posted on this (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2k797?Black-Guard-uhh-where-is-it) thread by James Jacobs

There's two reasons we're sticking with antipaladin at this point.

1) Nostalgia.

2) By calling the 20-level base class variant an antipaladin, we don't obsolete the blackguard prestige class from 3.5. We're full aware of the fact that some gamers will prefer the prestige class approach to the concept, and by calling our variant CE paladin an antipaladin, we don't "overwrite" the 3.5 blackguard prestige class. We won't have it as a prestige class between the covers of the book, but in home games, folks'll be able to continue using the blackguard as a prestige class without confusing matters.

In any event, that part of the book has yet to be written, so it might still change depending on how things work out. I, for one, like the name "antipaladin."

Eldaran
2014-10-27, 05:46 AM
The tier 3 classes like Binder, Beguiler, and Dread Necromancer fit in fine. If you're using Path of War the ToB classes feel pretty outclassed, but if not they fit in well.

AnonymousPepper
2014-10-27, 05:49 AM
I find that artificer is actually somewhat less broken in PF, given the faster standard feat progression making all its bonus feats somewhat less stupidly broken compared to other classes, and given that since XP is no longer a crafting component, its other primary advantage, Retain Essence, no longer exists.

It's still a tier 1/0 class, mind you, but thanks to a degree of power creep, not quite as much so.

Psyren
2014-10-27, 08:05 AM
Binder and Incarnate get a bump from PF's skill consolidation and feat progression. Both classes have a lot of great feat options that weren't diluted by PF. Sha'ir would probably end up being an Arcanist archetype, and it would certainly have its divine spells converted to arcane at last.

Most of the T4 and T5 classes, like Warlock, Spellthief, Scout, Dragon Shaman, Hexblade, Ninja, Mountebank, Battledancer, Savant and Samurai need a lot of work. Many of those would work better as archetypes so that they can benefit from the improved chassis of the PF base classes.

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-27, 08:11 AM
Factotum fits in well. I would consider redoing it as a monk archtype actually, but that's just me.

Psyren
2014-10-27, 09:21 AM
Investigator is another great option - not as magically powerful as the Beguiler but with the infusion discovery you can hand out buffs to the others, particularly shapeshifting for the fighter.