PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Ghostwalk?

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-27, 03:07 PM
What does everyone think of it? It seems to me like it would be fun for at least a one-shot or a short series of adventures, but I wish it had gotten a 3.5 update (there is none that I know of). What do you all think?

Kelb_Panthera
2014-10-27, 03:12 PM
I'm rather fond of it in the same way I'm fond of monks and soulknives.

It's interesting and flavorful but all-in-all kinda lackluster. I've incorporated several pieces of it into my homebrew campaign setting (which is a little "everything plus the kitchen sink") but your initial impression is probably accurate.

Good for a one off or maybe a fairly short campaign and an excellent source of obscure creatures that players aren't likely familiar with but otherwise kinda "meh."

Forrestfire
2014-10-27, 03:13 PM
It's... got issues, to say the least. The idea is really neat, the implementation is really, really bad. The fiddlyness of Eidolon and Eidoloncer levels and the fact that you get afterlife'd if you level up too much makes adventuring as a ghost for an extended time period awkward, and a lot of the options in the book are just plain mediocre (or terrible).

It has some neat stuff, but I only ever see it referenced for Rapid Wraith, the magic genetic engineering Sorcerer feats, using the setting without the mechanics, and builds that use the LA 0 ghost template. Some of the spells get used as well, namely Door to Great Evil, which is totally the best paladin spell :smallbiggrin:

I wouldn't use the book other than cherry-picking stuff, though.

Fax Celestis
2014-10-27, 03:21 PM
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20031225a

The Eidolon/Eidoloncer mechanics are terrible, but the rest of the system is pretty interesting. I may be biased, though, because one of my favorite RPGs (fluff-wise, anyway) is Wraith: the Oblivion.

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-27, 03:36 PM
It's... got issues, to say the least. The idea is really neat, the implementation is really, really bad. The fiddlyness of Eidolon and Eidoloncer levels and the fact that you get afterlife'd if you level up too much makes adventuring as a ghost for an extended time period awkward, and a lot of the options in the book are just plain mediocre (or terrible).

It has some neat stuff, but I only ever see it referenced for Rapid Wraith, the magic genetic engineering Sorcerer feats, using the setting without the mechanics, and builds that use the LA 0 ghost template. Some of the spells get used as well, namely Door to Great Evil, which is totally the best paladin spell :smallbiggrin:

I wouldn't use the book other than cherry-picking stuff, though.

I am also not a fan of the fact that you can't have more than half your character level be Eidolon(cer) levels; with the implementation of that rule, and the fact that you can't take either class at level 1, I wonder why they chose to include full 20-level progressions (you're never able to have more than 10 Eidolon(cer) levels, after all). I guess for epic progressions.

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20031225a

Oooh, thanks for the link! I somehow had failed to find that.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-10-27, 03:43 PM
I am also not a fan of the fact that you can't have more than half your character level be Eidolon(cer) levels; with the implementation of that rule, and the fact that you can't take either class at level 1, I wonder why they chose to include full 20-level progressions (you're never able to have more than 10 Eidolon(cer) levels, after all). I guess for epic progressions.

There's actually a sidebar that explains that, while that is true by default, a DM is, of course, free to waive those bits and allow full-on 1 +19 level ghosts. Thanks to PHB2 retraining you can even do a 20 level ghost pre-epic -if- the DM allows it. I do. Not that it's come up much.