PDA

View Full Version : Meetup United Kingdom in the Playground Meetup - 14/7/07

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Eldpollard
2007-04-01, 01:10 PM
So how many people do we have going to this meetup so far?

BrokenButterfly
2007-04-01, 07:55 PM
I sort of have issues with sending money ATM. The first thing my Dad asked when I chatted about this thing a while back was, "You not being asked to send money are you?"...

I'll see how it goes and I'll try to pitch in though.

spinningdice
2007-04-03, 05:47 AM
Money sent, if I can't come I'll let you know - and put it to a good cause (knock it off what everyone else has to pay if you like).

Though at this point it looks like I am coming - once I get it confirmed I'll send some monies.

BrokenButterfly
2007-04-03, 06:01 PM
OK after talking with my Dad (it's not my Paypal account...) I will not be sending any money. I definitely, concrete-tight promise to pay my share face-to-face at the meet-up, but not beforehand like this I'm afraid.

Adlan
2007-04-04, 12:45 PM
Any chance of a quick summary of the grand plan, I've read over the thread, but in my painkiller confused brain, I can make no sense of it.

All I can gather is we meet in leeds, yeah? And We need to pay for a place to swarm?

spinningdice
2007-04-04, 04:07 PM
Meeting in Leeds at the "Lord Darcy" (LS17 8EH) on July 14.
Paying is a deposit for the buffet lunch, though we can pay on the day Last Resort needs to get the deposit from somewhere, and will sort money back to people on the day if they paid too much.
We'll be in a seperate room and play various pen & paper RPG's and chill out.

Surfer99
2007-04-05, 02:08 AM
BrokenButterfly - Should be all good the deposit should be well taken care off just bring cash on the day :)

LS33
Is the list on the front page current / updated? anyways im looking forward to this alot. even tho theres like still 2 months to go ? /sigh damnit.

Anyways i will be out of commision until the 23rd of april most likely but KuReshtin will pick up anything if you need anything. *just so you know if you send me a PM i wont answer because im on vacation from the end of today :)

Adlan
2007-04-05, 04:32 AM
Kick Arse. Thanks for that recap. I'll definately go. Have we decided on the timing? Do we get the room all day. I assume the pub will only be open from 12 anyway.

And are all the games being run sorted out. I'd love to run a serenity game.

spinningdice
2007-04-06, 04:11 AM
Aha, proposed schedule... knew I'd seen one.

11-12: Arrive and say Hi & Beer
12-15: Round 1 Games & Buffet Lunch & Beer
15-16: Random Banter & Beer
16-19: Round 2 Games & Dinner & Beer
19-20: Random Banter and People going Home can Leave & Beer
20-23: Round 3 Games & Snacks & Beer
23:00: Go where you're sleeping, Late leavers can go home

If I've been keeping up, it seems like we have a total of around 3 GM's for various games and in the region of 20ish people coming, so I'd assume that if you want to run something it shouldn't be a problem.

Adlan
2007-04-06, 02:03 PM
Sweet. Are we going to get all organised and lists of People comming and games being played, or are we gonna wing it?

Last_resort_33
2007-04-08, 10:02 AM
I'm back from France... the list is up to date as far as I can tell. I'll go through and see if anything needs changing. don't worry about the money until you get there Broken Butterfly.

Cheers for the Cash guys. Thanks to some very generous individuals, I nearly have enough money now to pay the deposit just from donations. Rest assured, you will be repayed.

Yes I would like to make a list if we can. I would like to organise games etc... SO

First, can everyone who is willing to run a game please raise their hand and tell me how long you think it might take, and when you have to go home... AFTER that, I will ask people to sign up to specific games (1st 2nd and 3rd options) and say when they have to go home. Then I will try and fit them together as best I can, so that everyone can get what they want.

Adlan
2007-04-08, 05:25 PM
I'd like to run a game, It can be as long as people want it to be, I'd like to stay till 11, but I'd need a place to crash. Anyone wanna go shares on a cheap hotel room, or can put me up for the night? Just 6' of space to put a sleeping bad and I'm set. If I can't organise this, I'll have to leave 7:30 ish.

It would be a Serenity Game, it would not be necessary to have your own copy of the book, it would not be necessary to have knowledge of the rules. firefly knowledge would be useful though. between 4 and 8 players would be ideal.

Last_resort_33
2007-04-09, 03:27 PM
Well this is gunna suck with only one game... also how many copies of the OotS game are we gunna have? How long is it supposed to take to play?

Archonic Energy
2007-04-10, 02:23 AM
booked day off work i'm more likely to attend.
though i'm technically a "probably" because i don't give definate answers due to the random nature of this world
i'd like a better list of games before i sign up for anything
(don't make me host a YGO tornement people!)

Last_resort_33
2007-04-10, 02:48 AM
I don't like be definate either... "Are you sure that if I walk out the house then a metiorite won't land on my head?"
"Well... mostly sure"

I also want a better list of games.. MORE GAMES!!

Castaras
2007-04-10, 02:53 AM
How long is it supposed to take to play?

Depends really. I think about 2-4 hours for the shortest game with 4-6 players.

I haven't yet managed to get to talk to my dad about this again, but as soon as I do I'll probably be able to confirm whether I'm coming or not. It's unlikely though.

Ikkitosen
2007-04-10, 03:25 AM
I'm up for playing OoTS and drinking beer. More games would also be good - no willing D&D Dms attending??

Kantur
2007-04-10, 04:36 AM
Hmm, I'd be willing to, but my lack of experience at a table before means I'm hoping other people'll volunteer :smallwink:
But seriously, so long as I get a fair bit of warning, I'd run a game or two.

Archonic Energy
2007-04-10, 04:40 AM
I don't like be definate either... "Are you sure that if I walk out the house then a metiorite won't land on my head? "
"Well... mostly sure"

ahhhh. you understand

barring injury/acident/acts of metior/global destruction/*insert unknown possibilities here* then yes

strangly it's the unknown ones that worry me!

spinningdice
2007-04-10, 07:43 AM
I'd prefer not to run a game, as I suck at GMing for people I don't know - but will have a go if necessary...
Probably either Spycraft, or Savage Worlds.

Last_resort_33
2007-04-10, 09:13 AM
I'll talk to the Dark Dork.
He might be interested in running a dungeon crawl.

I have also paid the fee for the room and the buffet. We're all set to go.

Charity
2007-04-10, 12:38 PM
I have board games, settlers, and puerto rico spring to mind.
I think some folk volenteered earlier in the thread to run games.

Last_resort_33
2007-04-10, 02:50 PM
Additionally, I would like to draw everyone's attention to the fact that most important information is summarised in the first post. I can't find who volunteered to run Norbis.

KuReshtin
2007-04-12, 07:46 AM
Just noticed that I'm listed as a Probable whereasSurfer99, who won't make it unless I give him a lift, is listed as a 'Hell Yeah!'.

So, I'm guessing you could upgrade me to a 'Hell Yeah!' as well, LR33. http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/kureshtin/images/f_ok.gif

Eldpollard
2007-04-12, 09:48 AM
I've got *looks to count* five different versions of munchkin I can bring, with expansions in most of them.

Castaras
2007-04-12, 09:55 AM
I've got *looks to count* five different versions of munchkin I can bring, with expansions in most of them.

Bring them all. Then use them all together in one game. Then you can have the catgirl with the unatural axe. :smallbiggrin:

<- Has munchkin original and 1 expansion.

Eldpollard
2007-04-12, 09:59 AM
Bring them all. Then use them all together in one game. Then you can have the catgirl with the unatural axe. :smallbiggrin:

<- Has munchkin original and 1 expansion.

I think all in one would be a little bit too much. Fun, but too much.

Castaras
2007-04-12, 10:00 AM
I think all in one would be a little bit too much. Fun, but too much.

True, true. Would make a massive deck.

Which versions do you have?

Last_resort_33
2007-04-12, 02:19 PM
mmmm hypermunchkin!

I could bring Zombies, but I beleive that I have lost the rulebook.

Edit:oh and Cas, congrats on being able to come!

Eldpollard
2007-04-12, 05:19 PM
My munchkin ones are original, star, super, foo (sp?) and bites. Most of them have expantions, the original i have three for the original I think. So do we have anyone DMing a D&D game yet? I can DM if you wish although I haven't had much experience with DMing.

And I will also share my congrats to Castaras on being able to come.

Last_resort_33
2007-04-13, 12:03 AM
Oh... I SHALL bring Zombies thanks to CAW... He truely should be worshipped!

Please, can everyone tell me (PM if you wish) what you are doing about accomadation, and when you will be staying 'till

KuReshtin
2007-04-13, 01:56 AM
Surfer99 and myself will be trying to book one of those hotel rooms, possibly even from Friday night until Sunday.
The Friday night option depends on whether we feel like getting up at about 4:30Am on saturday morning, drive for about 5 hours and then hope to stay awake for the whole event, or if we'd rather just drive down to Leeds after work on Friday and get a good night's rest.

Eldpollard
2007-04-13, 04:50 AM
Well, I wouldn't mind getting a hotel room with someone, but if that's not an option then I'll probably just have to get the bus home, which may mean me leaving earlier.

Adlan
2007-04-13, 04:56 AM
I wouldn't mind splitting a Hotel Room with someone, though if anyone could put me up, I'd be really greatful. All I need is 6' by 2' to stretch out on and I'll be right.

Otherwise, It looks like a late night bus home for me, but should be fun.

Ikkitosen
2007-04-13, 04:16 PM
I have no idea. I'm starting a new job sometime in the next coupla months. If I have started my job by then (and thus have spare cash) I'll be getting a hotel room. If not I might be driving back!

Matthew
2007-04-13, 04:40 PM
This sounds like fun, but I'm not sure what my situation will be come July.

Castaras
2007-04-14, 06:23 AM
Just to say that I've spoken to my dad, and I can be put as a "Hell yeah" on that list. Lensman is a Hell yeah as well.

Eldpollard
2007-04-15, 09:38 AM
I wouldn't mind splitting a Hotel Room with someone, though if anyone could put me up, I'd be really greatful. All I need is 6' by 2' to stretch out on and I'll be right.

Otherwise, It looks like a late night bus home for me, but should be fun.

Want to share a room? I'd rather stay late then have to get bus/train home that day.

EDIT: And congrats on being able to come Cas.

BrokenButterfly
2007-04-15, 06:00 PM
Want to share a room? I'd rather stay late then have to get bus/train home that day.

I still want to share with someone, since I don't want to be worrying about train times or night buses when I get back to Manchester.

So if you're still looking for someone to share with Eldpollard then I'll do it, it saves me money.

Lensman
2007-04-16, 02:13 PM
I think Castaras has already confirmed that I'm a "Hell, yeah!" as well. I'm thinking of running an RPG - my thoughts are either a Star Wars scenario, a modern day spies scenario (not James Bond, honest, guv) or - if neither of the above grab anyone - a (relatively) straight D&D scenario.

Any thoughts or feelings out there?

(Just to confirm my credentials, I've been a gamer for 25 years, a GM for 22 years, published scenarios in White Dwarf (very far back in the dim and distant past, when WD was a good magazine, before Warhammer reared its ugly head) and for TSR (a small chunk of Dragonlance), as well as oddments in other magazines such as Adventurer and Concepts (gamers under 30 won't have heard of it!). D20 system? Far too newfangled!)

Lensman

Charity
2007-04-16, 02:25 PM
YAY another person of sensible age. I too remember the pre warhammer White Dwarf,
*sighs*
Ah those Halcyon days of yore, when no-one argued about game balance, and wizards died before they reached a level where they could get dangerous.

Ikkitosen
2007-04-16, 02:54 PM
YAY another person of sensible age. I too remember the pre warhammer White Dwarf,
*sighs*
Ah those Halcyon days of yore, when no-one argued about game balance, and wizards died before they reached a level where they could get dangerous.

My collection of OLD gaming magazines sits upstairs, hoping to be loved again one day.

Last_resort_33
2007-04-16, 03:48 PM
Dark Dork said he will run a straight D&D game, with almost anything from the Homebrew forum if you ask him first.

I think that with Lensman's game, we might have enough... What does everyone want to play?

Totally Guy
2007-04-16, 03:54 PM
I'd be a beginner at that sort of thing. I could borrow my little brothers core books to get into it but it's bad form to borrow Chistmas presents like that.

Lensman
2007-04-16, 04:47 PM
Actually, my proposed game isn't core rules or D20 at all - its a much simpler and more straightforward system (the D6 system from the old West End Star Wars RPG) - very quick to pick up and play. I'm assuming it'll be a good game for gaming virgins.

Lensman

Adlan
2007-04-16, 04:51 PM
If there's not enough interest in the serenity game, I can run a nice little Dungeon crawl, sutible for old and new players alike.

Ikkitosen
2007-04-16, 05:11 PM
Actually, my proposed game isn't core rules or D20 at all - its a much simpler and more straightforward system (the D6 system from the old West End Star Wars RPG) - very quick to pick up and play. I'm assuming it'll be a good game for gaming virgins.

I've played this system a lot, and would love to play it again for nostalgia's sake :smallsmile:

Charity
2007-04-16, 06:06 PM
Eat my 7D6 Blaster!

Archonic Energy
2007-04-17, 01:04 AM
well... that blows!

my holiday request just came back and at the moment it's beed denied.
someone's already booked the first 2 weeks in july off...

my admin person well see what she can do but i'm sure that it won't be enough.

LR That is why i never give out 100% Guarantees

Charity
2007-04-17, 02:00 AM
What a bummer.
[bad man] *cough*sicky*cough*[/bad man]

Last_resort_33
2007-04-17, 03:01 AM
It's bad form to pull a sicky for a day that you've already requested to have off... unless whoever you work for is too big (or stupid) to realise, you can get into whole heaps of trouble.... might be worth a try though!

anway, poor you... Looks like we'll have to do another next year...

Ikkitosen
2007-04-17, 11:17 AM
Eat my 7D6 Blaster!

Those Storm Commando blaster carbines DO sting a bit, don't they?

Not as bad as my *Force point* 24D6 lightsaber!!

Totally Guy
2007-04-17, 12:39 PM
I added the date to my Work Diary today. I'm involved in the construction of several schools in Leeds (and one in Wakefield which is starting to look more likely to be my next living destination), so I cunningly added it as...

Giant meeting
Re: Playground.

Archonic Energy
2007-04-18, 02:19 AM
I added the date to my Work Diary today. I'm involved in the construction of several schools in Leeds (and one in Wakefield which is starting to look more likely to be my next living destination), so I cunningly added it as...

Giant meeting
Re: Playground.
so you'll be putting it on the company card then...:smallbiggrin:

Silly_Bean
2007-04-18, 04:55 AM
I will need hotel/floor space. Checked bus and train etc but becasue I live in deepest darkest Wales it'll just be cheaper for me to drive.

Anyone in Wales need a lift (already got another poster potentially in my car so there are only theoretically two more spaces).

http://213.225.133.189/mapping/image/GetMap?Ref=GB_public_Routes_oNANpsKIqaCWgizksq11CA %3D%3D

This is the route so if anyone lives along it, or is not too much of a de-tour, then I can pick you up. The more people I have to take the more likely it is I can go!

Dark Dork
2007-04-18, 09:21 AM
I will be running a D&D dungeon crawl that will include any splat books and homebrew stuff on these forums (pre-approved).

I'm fairly confident as a DM so I can run a mid-to-higher level campaign if other DMs want the easier 1st level-and-up option and so there's a larger chance of fitting the homebrew stuff in.

potatocubed
2007-04-19, 02:10 AM
So, I'm back from another mini-hiatus. I see everything's still organised and good to go.

It was I who volunteered to run Nobilis if you haven't filled all the gaps, but I don't think I could fit it into one time block. What I could fit into one time block is an Eberron adventure that I came up with for the group round here.

Other 'quickie' options include Spycraft and RuneQuest, although since I'd prefer to get character gen done ahead of time they may be less handy than something D&D-flavoured.

Oh, and I'm staying at the eTap. On my own. I'm sorry, but I don't like sharing my sleeping space with people I don't know.

Charity
2007-04-19, 02:37 AM
Note to self
Must sort out hotel room.

I think, with poor old Archie missing out, I have a spare seat in the car, I got Yuki and Jontom comming up with me, as it goes fella's it would be an idea if we all stayed in the same hotel, wheres the nearest one again LR 33?

Hawkeye
2007-04-19, 03:00 AM
I'm game if I can sort out travel arrangements/accomadation/time off my busy schedule doing nothing

Caelestion
2007-04-19, 03:53 AM
Despite me living in Gloucestershire, travelling all that way for just one or two days really does not appeal to me. :(

Last_resort_33
2007-04-19, 04:26 AM
well that's up to you. But it's not too difficult, get in the car, turn the CD player on, turn your brain off and then you're there in no time... I did that drive every other weekend, it's not so bad. Again, it's up to you... and it's Etap, not eTap. Etap is french or something.

Charity
2007-04-19, 05:16 AM
Ya big jessy.

I'm transporting folk from Southampton.

Last_resort_33
2007-04-19, 06:40 AM
Two important things.

Firstly, I would like everyone to look at the list of games on page 1 and tell me first and second choices of what you want to play. Each choice should not add up to more than 3 rounds.

Secondly, I would like to buy some of Rich's books. Becasuse postage is a bit excessive from the US, an idea that I had was for me to buy some of these books/games for you and then you and then you collect them on the day to minimise the postage costs. PM me if you're interested

Ikkitosen
2007-04-19, 07:34 AM
D6 Star Wars for me please. If not then D&D or OoTS game - too many good choices!!

Will the Gms be bringing characters or should we??

Last_resort_33
2007-04-19, 07:36 AM
PM the relevant DMs to discuss characters, but not yet, I'll have to know how many people want to play each game to see what is worth running... it is unlikey that all games will run. We have about 20-30 people and about 8 games... we'll see

ALL CHARACTERS MUST BE MADE BEFORE THE DAY

The_Librarian
2007-04-19, 07:38 AM
Is it all right to spectate? Mainly because I don't want to get involved and then leave halfway through.

Last_resort_33
2007-04-19, 07:41 AM
It'd be fine to spectate... then again, characters do die unexpectedly, and sometimes need to leave the party/crew/whatever for unexpected reasons... it'd be perfectly alright to spectate, I don't know if I will be playing an RPG, I'll probably play a game of munchkin, a game of zombies and then spend time nosing in on other people's games. Munchkin and Zombies won't take the whole evening. neither does the OotS game... and that's why we're here... but yeah, this should be primarily a social gathering, so if people just wanna chat then that's great.

Eldpollard
2007-04-19, 11:03 AM
So I still need someone to get a room with. Or somewhere to stay.
Or I go home early

Dark Dork
2007-04-19, 03:15 PM
People interested in a mid-to-high level DnD game PM me character concepts and homebrews that you'll want to use for the game.

Also, the animation for Eldpollard's avatar gives me much confusion.

Eldpollard
2007-04-19, 03:42 PM
OK. My avatar is supposed to be me drinking coffee. However I'm bad at photoshop. It's better that my last one I did, which was remarked as "phallic". I shall be bringing all my munckin versions. So what DnD games will be there?

Last_resort_33
2007-04-19, 03:44 PM
Well there will be A mid high almost anything goes game by Dark Dork, there will probably be an Eberron game by potatocubed.

Archonic Energy
2007-04-19, 05:50 PM
theoretically will there be space for someone to join a game who hasn't pre-registered...

if i can i will come if not i don't want to take a space up...

Jontom Xire
2007-04-20, 02:14 AM
I've been very bad and haven't checked this thread in AGES!

Charity, I'd be happy to share a hotel room to save costs if you like. Other than that, staying in the same hotel sounds like a plan.

Gameswise I haven't played D&D for YEARS, so that's definitely number one on my list. After that, Serenity sounds kinda fun. However I don't have rule books for either so will need help to create a character. That or I'm happy for the GM to just create one, so long as it's intelligent. I find it difficult to roleplay stupid characters. I once played a gully dwarf with REALLY low stats in EVERYTHING except strength, and almost got penalised for solving all the riddles and puzzles the party faced.

Charity
2007-04-20, 02:23 AM
Jontom, it may be an idea for you and Yuki to share as, I guess I can afford the room costs better than you guys. Though you may both be multimillionaires for all I know...ramble ramble.
As for games, how many do we need to register for? I guess that depends on how many sessions they take up...
I am intrigued by Grimm, though I havn't got round to buying it yet, and wouldn't mind a bit of the old starwars D6... then I'd miss out on the D&D... Well I'll try to make my mind up.

No one wants to play serenity...... :(
well obviously I do... difficult choices abound unfortunately.

Adlan
2007-04-20, 02:33 AM
No one wants to play serenity...... :(

Kantur
2007-04-20, 09:04 AM
I'd like to try Serenity, though I don't have any of the books (Or much disposable income at the moment).

Adlan
2007-04-21, 06:24 PM
There is at the moment only one book out, with 1 expansion. Which we may or may not play. Depends if the people who want to play have played it before.

You Do not need to know the rules before you play the game with me, this thursday I ran a very sucessful serenity game for 4 of my friends who had never played or read the rules before. I can help with character design over the internet.

Dib
2007-04-21, 06:33 PM
wow... I'd wondered if stuff lk this would happen... now it is... and its the impossible times for me! yay! GCSE's!!! boog! maybe if it goes well it'll happen again? not the sort of thing I'd want to miss out on...

Charity
2007-04-23, 05:17 AM
I may try to badger the missus into comming, you never know.. It will mean leaving the kids with a passing tramp, but...

BrokenButterfly
2007-04-23, 07:25 AM
wow... I'd wondered if stuff lk this would happen... now it is... and its the impossible times for me! yay! GCSE's!!! boog! maybe if it goes well it'll happen again? not the sort of thing I'd want to miss out on...

It sucks that people can't make it, but GCSEs are nothing compared to AS...For GCSEs you get ages for study leave, but there's absolutely no time set out for ASs...But they're over for me in about a month or so, so it doesn't matter too much. Just so long as I do well of course :)

But anyway, about these games. I would very much like to play the OotS boardgame for the first time, since it would determine whether or not I buy it for the school Boardgames Club. But I also enjoy playing D&D...That Eberron option was only 1 round, and the OotS is 2, so I can do both right? Unless there's a lot of demand, or not enough...

Archonic Energy
2007-04-24, 12:25 PM
hmm... i may be re-entering the maybe category...

Castaras
2007-04-29, 02:00 PM
That's good. More people are always good. :smallsmile:

Last_resort_33
2007-04-29, 04:47 PM
Was that a bit of a not so subtle bump there?

I'm thinking that, unless anyone has anything particular to say about this meet, then I'm just gunna let it drop and create a new one closer to the time.

I want EVERYONE to contact their prospective DMs for whatever games they want to play with regards to characters... I would like all characters for all games to be developed beforehand. The OOC board might be a good place for this.

It's still over two months 'till the meet. I have exams, so I can't be doing too much organising of stuff...

Charity
2007-04-30, 06:05 AM
Must sort out accom, Yuki, Jontom...Archie meybe, are you guys good to stay anyoldwhere? I can try to book you fellas rooms/room/stable/ditch/cell.

spinningdice
2007-04-30, 06:26 AM
I should be moving house next month, and then I should be in a better position to say whether I can come or not. At the moment it's looking like a yes.. but I don't want to commit.
As to games, I don't want to commit to something if I may have to let them down later, so if there's no places left by the time I can confirm I'll turn up anyway and keep myself occupied.

Archonic Energy
2007-04-30, 06:41 AM
Must sort out accom, Yuki, Jontom...Archie meybe, are you guys good to stay anyoldwhere? I can try to book you fellas rooms/room/stable/ditch/cell.

assuming my Admin person gets back to me & verifies that i have the day off then anywhere will do otherwise... i may require an "emergency temporal shift" or a sufficent quantity of Anti-Matter (by sufficent i mean 5.9736×1024 kg)

Charity
2007-04-30, 07:21 AM
*redoubles efforts to convert Earths mass into anti-matter*

I make it 5.9742 × 1024 kilograms

Whistles

Archonic Energy
2007-04-30, 09:36 AM
*redoubles efforts to convert Earths mass into anti-matter*

I make it 5.9742 × 1024 kilograms

psst Charity. use the {sup}/{/sup} to make that 1024 into the correct scientific notation and i'll agree as my information is only from Wikipedia so i can easily doupt it's accuracy

...on topic i may have to refrain from signing up for any games yet... notebly because i haven't played ANY of those games but also because i am unsure of my exact probability of attendence. i'd like to play D&D, if only to see what the fuss is about. and also i doupt my Lappie will be in attendance... bloody motherboard failing 29 days out of warantee...

Dark Dork
2007-04-30, 03:38 PM
It seems to me that people coming to this shin-dig are yet to play DnD which makes a high level homebrew game seem a little unapproachable and intimidating for first time players.

With this in mind, I could (by request) run a Introduction to Dungeons & Dragons: The Idiot's Guide to DnD starting at first level and only using core rulebooks.

In addition, the characters for this session will be generated on-site with assistence from my massive DnD brain.

Any takers? PM if ya wanna.

Jontom Xire
2007-05-10, 09:32 AM

Anything flattish and I'm good. Let me know if I'll need to bring a pillow/sleeping bag/whatever.

I'm not impoverished, and was in fact quite well off until I spent £4600 on a motorbike, £700 on insurance, and several hundred more on leathers and associated extras. However I have no objection to sharing and would prefer to save the money to buy beer or whatever. On the other hand if there's three of us and someone else wants to get the shared room to save the pennies I'm happy to take the single room. Id' be even more happy splitting the room cost three ways and sleeping on the floor.

More money for beer then.

Oh, yeah, and I'll pay my share of the petrol. I insist, but you'll have to tell me how much it is and remind me 'cos I'm forgetful sometimes.

As it gets closer it'd probably be better to PM me than post here because I don't check this thread often enough.

JX.

Ikkitosen
2007-05-10, 10:36 AM
Looks like I'm going to have started my new job (and thus moved down south) before The Meet takes place. This in theory increases my chances of attending since I'll have Cash. On the other hand it increases the round trip distance by some 200 miles. Harumph (yep, there's no pleasing me! He he).

Maybe I can fly...

Charity
2007-05-10, 10:43 AM
< is driving
< is however not sure how much space < has left as <
Is Deffo taking ^^ and Yuki, and possibly taking the lovely > and maybe Archie.
However if < gets a space all ^ need do is get to Basingstoke station fairly early on the 14th. Remembering of course to bring a blindfold and to make out your will.
< isn't really that bad... anymore.

Ikkitosen
2007-05-10, 11:00 AM
I'm happy to drive me old china, I'm just complaining so that I don't get too excited about my new job, and the fact that I get to start it soon. Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahem.

Charity
2007-05-10, 11:10 AM
Congrats on the job matey, nearly let that one slip under the radar.
Where will you be based now/soon?
Have you sorted your new accomidation and the like? < is selling a house... yeah I know it's a pretty slim hope.
Will it be a big old wrench to leave behind your roots?

Ikkitosen
2007-05-10, 11:50 AM
Congrats on the job matey, nearly let that one slip under the radar.
Where will you be based now/soon?
Have you sorted your new accomidation and the like? < is selling a house... yeah I know it's a pretty slim hope.
Will it be a big old wrench to leave behind your roots?

I'll be based near Reading, but not the London side (my one caveat when jobhunting - not in London!). Not sorted accom yet but been sent a list of people who have space and the company have a relocation company sorta retained - but where's the house? :smallwink:

Big wrench? Yes, but gotta get out of your comfort zone as much as possible I find. Plus it's only 120 miles or so from Brum, so coupla hours. That I can manage.

Charity
2007-05-10, 12:47 PM
That is remarkably close.
You'll have to pop around some time
Reading is about 13 miles (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl&q=) from Basingstoke with trains every 10 mins or so.
House prices are pretty savage (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/in_depth/uk_house_prices/html/24ub.stm) down these parts, so I hope your new job comes with a big fat pay cheque... I tell you, I'm glad we bought ours a few years ago, it has tripled in value since we bought it.

Ikkitosen
2007-05-11, 07:31 AM
Yeah, the property ladder is pretty harsh but I guess them's the breaks (had I gone for a job over a PhD maybe I'd be minted now; insted I'm a doctor. Ho hum).

As for visiting, sounds cool. I'm just looking at accomodation now and largely in the Mortimer/Baughurst/Thatcham/Tadley type areas - any reccomendations?

Charity
2007-05-11, 07:52 AM
Mortimer and Baughurst are both quite posh.
I expect you'll get less for your money there, but a higher return on any investment in propety there.
Tadley is cheaper and not a bad place to live, though it's so close to B/stoke you may as well look there as well.
If I'm honest I know sod all about Thatcham, but Bramley is very nice, certainly worth looking at.

Are you looking to rent or buy?, are you looking for a flat or a house?, are you looking for peace and quiet or a more metro feel?

Oh, BTW if you can afford it Semi's are the highest performing properties accross the region... at a cool quarter of a million (minimum) though, they'd need to be.

Ikkitosen
2007-05-11, 08:08 AM
Definitely renting at first - got to find out whether I like the job before I consider buying.

I have an accomodation list, mainly rooms in houses, including places in Mortimer, Baughurst, Tadley, Burghfield, Thatcham, Newbury, and Tilehurst (Reading). Since I'm down that way on monday I'd like to fit in some viewings with the trip. Best go call some people!

As for preferences, I'm a city boy at heart and wouldn't want to be out of touch with that, but I'm looking for somewhere a bit nice and quiet so I can enjoy the peace. As long as it's not too far from the city I'm ok with it.

Charity
2007-05-11, 09:37 AM
Well Reading has quite a bit of nightlife, and B/stoke has a some albeit not loads. Baughurst is really quite nice, if you're renting a room. It is possibly the furthest from where you're going to work.
everywhere you've listed is fairly quiet, and it is all pretty close together so any of them should suit you fairly well. Oh, I wouldn't chose to live in the main part of Reading, some parts are quite nice, but many really arn't.

Ikkitosen
2007-05-11, 10:39 AM
Yeah, Streetmap and I have become good friends. One place in Mortimer is pretty darn close too. I have 2 viewings so far, so should be sorted soon. Thanks for the advice! Although you may regret me moving so close :smallwink:

Charity
2007-05-11, 11:06 AM
Aha little does he know he will regret entering the gravitational pull of the mighty B/stoke, he may never again achieve escape velocity mwahahahahaha.
It's just like a black hole, except we don't have any cool robots with no feet and blenders for hands... unfortunately.

I used to date a girl from Mortimer, many, many moons ago, let me know if you move in next to the Wiltons won't you.

Weebl
2007-05-11, 05:52 PM
I won't be able to go to this because:
1. Flights from the channel islands to leeds out of my price depth.
2. A 13 year-old hanging out in a pub with people he knows but never met? Highly unlikley. Parents don't even let me go on some perfectly safe sites.

But for all those missing out you could group their avatars into 1 picture and sorta make a "The missing of the Playground" thing so that you're not forgeting the young, old or busy. Kinda bad idea but its ide at that. I struggle with those.

Surfer99
2007-05-18, 01:43 AM
Ok so i am getting very close to threadromancy. But LR33 need you to answer your PM's regarding this >.< or if you havent received any let me know so i can resend.

Anyways looking forward to seeing you all there.

must admit i am also still a bit vague on the how to get signed up for games, PM you or the gamemaster?

Sorry for the silly questions but cannot wrap my head around it right now

<3

Last_resort_33
2007-05-18, 02:11 AM
Ok so i am getting very close to threadromancy. But LR33 need you to answer your PM's regarding this >.< or if you havent received any let me know so i can resend.

Anyways looking forward to seeing you all there.

must admit i am also still a bit vague on the how to get signed up for games, PM you or the gamemaster?

Sorry for the silly questions but cannot wrap my head around it right now

<3

PM both of us, the GM to arrange characters, me so I can sort out what is being played when.

I've recieved 1 PM from you... ever. I am going to get onto it, but I was talking to to the guys at the local Travelling Man store to see if it would be easier/cheaper for me to get it or them. It may turn out to be them, in which case, I can pick them up on the day... you've already given *just* enough to cover the books I think :smallbiggrin:

Well... about 2 months left to go...

spinningdice
2007-05-18, 06:33 AM
I'm moving more towards a probably not at the moment, my daughters birthday, delayed house move and projects at work are all conspiring against me.

Like I said before, but the money I sent already to good use, if I can't come, but I'll still try and wrangle it so I can.

MrEdwardNigma
2007-05-18, 12:46 PM
Ah, I'd love to come, but I'm in Belgium (Cause i live there, not cause i'm on vacation or something...I mean, who the hell goes to Belgium for vacation purposes???) . Any meetups in belgium anytime soon? :smallbiggrin:

Khantalas
2007-05-18, 03:36 PM
Well, chances of me coming increased from "no way" to "very slim".

My troubles include:

Getting a visa (oh, how I hate visas).
Finding a way from London to Leeds.
Getting back to Turkey.
Speaking and understanding British well enough to live (I was brought up in the ways of the Americans, dammit).
Not dying of boredom in London (yeah, that probably will be the least of my worries - Virgin Megastore is open till when again?).

If I can work all of these out, then I'm so coming. I might even prepare a short M&M session if my chances of coming increase more. Don't know.

Hoggy
2007-05-18, 03:53 PM
Oh. You weren't waiting on me, but I won't be there. Travel and all that. Just thought I'd let you know.

Dib
2007-05-20, 05:57 AM
Now I remember! It's very unlikely my mum would let me go... and on the 1-9999999999999999999 chance that she did... I've got no way to get there...

Last_resort_33
2007-05-20, 06:09 AM
Now I remember! It's very unlikely my mum would let me go... and on the 1-9999999999999999999 chance that she did... I've got no way to get there...

You're 16 for cripes sake! I do see your point about getting here though... I think all the other south coasters are going in the charitymobile, which is full. Ask your mum tho... it's always worth a try..

Castaras
2007-05-20, 06:12 AM
Yeah...ask your mum or dad...my dad will be coming with me there...seeing as I'm only 14...

Although he's only coming so he can do his part of being an evil DM. :smallamused:

EDIT: How many people will be coming with cameras? I'll do my best to bring one, but the more, the better chance of getting good pictures to inflict Giantitp with. :smalltongue:

Exachix
2007-05-20, 06:29 AM
Heh.

If I ask, which I should, eventually, I'll try and come.. and bring a camera... :smallsmile:

But It's very close to my birthday, so I may not.

Last_resort_33
2007-05-20, 06:33 AM
I shall be bringing a camera... I might bring my laptop, even though it is almost completely ****ed. That means that I could stick a few photos up here while the whole shin-dig is going down (dependant on signal, as I would be using my mobile phone as a modem!).

Just ask... make a point that you're not meeting ONE person, there's gunna be about 20 people there, some younger than you, It's in a public place etc etc...

Ikkitosen
2007-05-20, 09:15 AM
Ok, I should be in since I should have been paid for my first month's work by the time this all goes down. I think I'm going to stick to board/card games so that, should I fail to turn up, I won't be failing anyone for the last time .

I'll bring my camera so that I can remain the one behind it and thus maintain my forum mystique* :smallcool:

*May be entirely imaginary

Dib
2007-05-20, 09:40 AM
As much as I want to go... I don't see my mum liking the idea... I'll try and pester one of my mates to come or something... just so my mum shuts up! grr... annoying mum! I'll probably try and get a train up... or something...

And how do you know my age? oh right... Relationship Thread... duh! :smallsmile:

Last_resort_33
2007-05-20, 10:15 AM
As much as I want to go... I don't see my mum liking the idea... I'll try and pester one of my mates to come or something... just so my mum shuts up! grr... annoying mum! I'll probably try and get a train up... or something...

And how do you know my age? oh right... Relationship Thread... duh! :smallsmile:
Sounds good... unless you have any mates with a car.... The reason I knew your age was 'cos I clicked on you and pressed "view profile"

Dragor
2007-05-21, 01:16 PM
Oh cripes. The more I read this thread the more I feel I'm missing out. :smallfrown: I'd kill to join this. *Sobs*

Castaras
2007-05-21, 01:21 PM
Oh cripes. The more I read this thread the more I feel I'm missing out. :smallfrown: I'd kill to join this. *Sobs*

Try the argument that another 14 year old kid is going. And show them the thread. That might help.

Archonic Energy
2007-05-21, 08:31 PM
Try the argument that another 14 year old kid is going. And show them the thread. That might help.

and how exactly do you prove that you are only 14? EH?

'tis the internet.
filled with many weird people.
Example: look at me!

Last_resort_33
2007-05-22, 02:07 AM
Get her to sing a song into a webcam

"Look at me, I'm Castaras,
Look at me, I'm Castaras,
And I'm 14!"
(guitar solo)

I don't think I've had enough sleep....

Charity
2007-05-22, 02:09 AM
and how exactly do you prove that you are only 14? EH?

'tis the internet.
filled with many weird people.
Example: look at me!

She could send him a slice of herself and he could count the rings... or is that just trees... *cuts off arm* ... yup just trees.

spinningdice
2007-05-22, 06:36 AM
Looks like if I'm there it'll only be for a couple of hours. Simply too much on I'm afraid.

Reinbowarrior
2007-05-22, 06:53 AM
Hey All

Bedford UK here - what's going on?

Interested in the meet and can drive people close to Bedford - also could run/play in a 3.5E game.

Reinbowarrior
2007-05-22, 06:57 AM
Last train to London leaves Leeds shortly after 8 pm, or so my poking around the National Rail website leads me to believe.

I'd like to stay for the full thing, but I haven't decided yet.

Whats the timings on this anyways?

Last_resort_33
2007-05-22, 07:21 AM
Whats the timings on this anyways?

11-12: Arrive and say Hi & Beer
12-15: Round 1 Games & Buffet Lunch & Beer
15-16: Random Banter & Beer
16-19: Round 2 Games & Dinner & Beer
19-20: Random Banter and People going Home can Leave & Beer
20-23: Round 3 Games & Snacks & Beer
23:00: Go where you're sleeping, Late leavers can go home

I'll post it on the first page.

Charity
2007-05-22, 07:43 AM
I think you missed a beer out there somewhere.

I'm going to go for two games I reckon... just need to decide which now...
*strokes chin thoughtfully*
If I do this long enough we'll go to comercial...

BrokenButterfly
2007-05-22, 09:13 AM
Hello all, I've just been trying to swell our numbers for this little shindig. A friend of mine from school could well be coming to this now, so I'll see if he creates an account and posts for likely confirmation.

Castaras
2007-05-22, 09:50 AM
Get her to sing a song into a webcam

"Look at me, I'm Castaras,
And I'm 14!"
(guitar solo)

I don't think I've had enough sleep....

Would work if I had one. :smalltongue:

But sadly, all I have is my little digital camera...:smallfrown:

Eh well.

Archonic Energy
2007-05-22, 11:51 AM
It's offical.

my Holiday request has been....

Accepted.

W00t!

C is that space still free? if not i'll jump on a train or something.

Ikkitosen
2007-05-22, 12:53 PM
Although not to be relied on, if I go (likely) I'll be driving up from near Charity's place. I can give lifts if the C-mobile is full. But my car is old. Harumph.

Dragor
2007-05-22, 12:58 PM

Isn't that the same as 'but all the cool kids are doing it!'? My parents will never fall for that line- damn.

I'll give it a shot though.

Last_resort_33
2007-05-22, 01:09 PM
Isn't that the same as 'but all the cool kids are doing it!'? My parents will never fall for that line- damn.

I'll give it a shot though.

She's not "Cool" she plays D&D that immediately drops you about 20d6 hp down the cool scale.

If you want, They can give me an E-mail or a phone call if they want to talk about it.

Dark Dork
2007-05-22, 01:11 PM
Any more takers for my Introduction to D&D campaign?

I'm waiting for replies from two people already so if you're interested, just PM me or post here.

Totally Guy
2007-05-22, 02:11 PM
I'm interested. Count me in. How many people do you already have?

Castaras
2007-05-22, 04:20 PM
She's not "Cool" she plays D&D that immediately drops you about 20d6 hp down the cool scale.

Exactly. And I'm the class geek that everyone finds weird.

So yeah, cool kid? You must be joking. :smallbiggrin: :smalltongue:

Charity
2007-05-22, 05:33 PM
It's offical.

my Holiday request has been....

Accepted.

W00t!

C is that space still free? if not i'll jump on a train or something.

Cool, and yep, I was holding the fifth man spot for you matey

Archonic Energy
2007-05-22, 07:17 PM
Cool, and yep, I was holding the fifth man spot for you matey

Accomidation? (yeah my spelling sucks donkey richard)

Charity
2007-05-23, 02:03 AM
I have still not sorted out with my better three quarters whether she's comming or not... but Yuki and Jontom will need a room, and I may need one for me and mrs C, or just me... so I've not booked anything yet, though something near the venue would be favourite (drinky drinky)
If you sort out with the other two I'll book meself/meselves a room in the same place. yoor spellin is purfict wathca onnaboot?

Exachix
2007-05-23, 02:18 AM
=).

I should be going to this.. need to sort out think like where I'm staying, but I'm pretty sure I know how I'm going =). (train)

Reinbowarrior
2007-05-23, 02:39 AM
Any more takers for my Introduction to D&D campaign?

I'm waiting for replies from two people already so if you're interested, just PM me or post here.

I'm in for a game of D&D - I'm one of the cool kids!

Offerign a lift from Bedford, heading up the M1 for anyone who is interested.

Dark Dork
2007-05-23, 04:20 AM
I'm in for a game of D&D - I'm one of the cool kids!

Hurray! You're absolutely accurate! :smallwink:

Don't forget to PM LR33 with your first and second choice of the games. (That goes for the rest of my ever-expanding flock if you haven't done already.)

Eldpollard
2007-05-23, 10:30 AM
I also have no idea where I'm staying. Transport is no problem. Although it is pricey. The train'll cost me about £1.45. But I think I can stretch to it.

Dragor
2007-05-23, 10:32 AM

Haha, truth. Although I somehow manage to play D&D publicly at school and somehow remain cool.

BrokenButterfly
2007-05-23, 04:02 PM
@LR33 Has my PM about game choices gotten through/is it okay? I'm all paranoid that I'm going to get to this thing and have nothing to do for twelve hours...

Last_resort_33
2007-05-23, 04:17 PM
Yeah, I'm just being a bit lazy about updating the front page. Got stuff on and Looking for a job... not to mention that it's over a month and a half away!

Castaras
2007-05-23, 04:20 PM
Ah. Just to say, that I think Lensman and I are going to be going early.

I'll have to confirm that with him, but I think that's whats happening...

Lensman
2007-05-23, 05:08 PM
'Fraid so. We're doing this jaunt as a day trip, so we'll have to be away around 8-9pm if we have any hope of getting home before the car turns into a pumpkin.

Just to confirm, I'm proposing to run a Star Wars game; depending on numbers and masochism (on your parts) it'll either be one session or two, as people prefer. The system is the old West End d6-based version - it is really easy and straightforward (which is why I can cope with it). No experience necessary - even non-rolegamers have had no trouble picking it up in a few moments.

Charity
2007-05-23, 06:14 PM
I've gotta go for some old skool starwars count me in Lensman.

Archonic Energy
2007-05-24, 01:27 AM
C. Which hotel are you gonna' be staying in?
i think it'd be easier if everyone in your car are at least in the same hotel...

or postcode.

Charity
2007-05-24, 01:32 AM
I have yet to sort anything out, I still don't know if the lovely wife is comming...
Soooo organised. If you wish to pick an hotel matey, feel free we'll all book rooms in the same one, it would be an idea to go for the closest I'd say.
(drinky drink)

Archonic Energy
2007-05-24, 01:40 AM
it would be an idea to go for the closest I'd say.
(drinky drink)

Next Question, LR.

is the ETap within staggering distance? (for C)

Last_resort_33
2007-05-24, 01:51 AM
'fraid not. But 7 people can fit in a large taxi. Also we have a free taxi available in the form of Em's mum.

Dark Dork
2007-05-24, 04:06 AM
@LR33,

David (Our mate David) says he would be interested in coming.

... But only if he could run a game of Diplomacy...

... And the people who would be playing already knew the rules...

... yeah, I know. :smallannoyed:

I might be able to argue him back to the people not knowing the rules.

Em
2007-05-24, 06:32 AM
My mum was listening to Gareth reading out your post, and said "I'll definitely come to your cycling convention, but only if I can do roller-skating."

I'm seeing both of you later if it's Thursday, so I'll tell him not to be so bloody awkward. :smalltongue:

If he does come, Gareth and I advise Castaras (the girl who likes maths right?) to avoid him like the plague, and not to express an interest in it. Otherwise he will manouevre you into a corner and try and teach you degree-level mathematics till you die out of self-defence.

Charity
2007-05-24, 06:41 AM
Tell him we'll only play Diplomacy if I can win.

Diplomacy will take more than a day to play anyway, it always does.
So he needs to play it on-line... there are about half a dozen games going on here at the mo, including 'youngstown' variants and all sorts.
Check out that light green player (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39176&page=3) he rocks! or so I've heard.

Jontom Xire
2007-05-24, 07:39 AM
I've never seen Diplomacy games advertised on this forum :(

I always wanted to play. I used to play and run a game called King of Kings which was completely different, but in which skill and tactics would only take you so far. Persuading all your enemies that you were actually their friend and they should attack each other, or getting everyone else to gang up on the guy who was winning, were worth more. I hear that Diplomacy is similar.

Charity, can you recommend/point out any good noob games I might play in? I really have no idea where to look. Ideally a GiantITP game.

Charity
2007-05-24, 07:57 AM
you need to look harder (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2638353#post2638353) Jontom me old son.

Castaras
2007-05-24, 09:37 AM
If he does come, Gareth and I advise Castaras (the girl who likes maths right?) to avoid him like the plague, and not to express an interest in it. Otherwise he will manouevre you into a corner and try and teach you degree-level mathematics till you die out of self-defence.

:smalleek:

Last_resort_33
2007-05-24, 09:45 AM

Well put. Don't worry. Em can keep him in check. And if all else fails threaten him with a paintball gun a point blank to his crotch and the memories will soon drive him away!:smallsmile:

Seriously, if he's gunna be an ******* while he's there, I can kick him out.

Archonic Energy
2007-05-24, 10:43 AM
And if all else fails threaten him with a paintball gun a point blank to his crotch and the memories will soon drive him away!:smallsmile:

that'll scare most men:smallamused: ... it bloody hurts even when not at point blank!:smallfurious:

See Spaced for a real a paintball war. :smallwink:

Exachix
2007-05-24, 11:54 AM
I've never been paintballing... wouldn't know =P.

Archonic Energy
2007-05-24, 11:57 AM
I've never been paintballing... wouldn't know =P.

you really should. it's so much fun... till you get shot in the... unmentionables.

i wanna go again in the autumn (Leaves make the perfect hiding places)

Exachix
2007-05-24, 12:09 PM
you really should. it's so much fun... till you get shot in the... unmentionables.

i wanna go again in the autumn (Leaves make the perfect hiding places)

Heh... I should do that at some point (no the unmentionable shooting, the paintballing). and Go-Karting... *sigh* Heh.

Last_resort_33
2007-05-24, 01:41 PM
Maybe next year we could go paintballing in the playground!

Exachix
2007-05-24, 03:17 PM
Maybe... we have a massive Gitp day.

Where everyone from every country comes to a place... and we... urm... play games..

Maybe a gitp week... or weekend... or something...

Kantur
2007-05-24, 03:58 PM
I think if there were ever to be an International GitP meetup, it'd have to be a week, just to make it worthwhile for those travelling a long distance. I know I'd rather not visit the USA for three days again, I'd rather have the time to make it worthwhile. I'm sure it'd be the same for the otherway around as well. I'm sure some people wouldn't mind it, though I'd suspect the number of people preferring a week would be in the majority...

Dark Dork
2007-05-24, 05:21 PM

The tickets! The glorious tickets! We could use them!

See Spaced for a real a paintball war.

It's not a bedsit; it's a flat.
*Shoot*
*Thwack*
*Gahhh!*

Jontom Xire
2007-05-25, 01:40 AM
you need to look harder (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2638353#post2638353) Jontom me old son.

Thanks.

When I get back from holiday I'll look up the rules and join a game - if I can find one ready then.

BrokenButterfly
2007-05-26, 06:20 PM

Best idea I've heard all day. I've not really paintballed too much, and I've been lucky when it came to being shot. Ah well, one thing at a time...

BTW I hope it won't matter that I've never actually played the OotS boardgame before will it? I'm going to have to learn on the fly, so I pray it's not too complex.

Totally Guy
2007-05-26, 06:31 PM
It's easy enough when somebody does the narrative.

You step in the... *lays card* dungeon corridor and you are attacked by

*points at player*

"Urm... Cowardly kobold"

And.. *points at next player*

"Zz'dtri"

What do you defend with?

"Greenhilt Sword"

I could go on all day just inventing various things to happen in the oots game.

Sir_Norbert
2007-05-28, 01:54 PM
Wow, only just noticed this thread.

Um.

I live in Leeds, so I guess I've got no excuse whatever? :elan:

Archonic Energy
2007-06-02, 01:32 AM
I live in Leeds, so I guess I've got no excuse whatever? :elan:

no, no you don't!

however you may have a valid reason... i'll allow that!

PlatinumJester
2007-06-06, 11:26 AM
So long as there is no entry fee I will come

Eldpollard
2007-06-06, 11:31 AM
There is one. To cover costs. It's less than a tenner. I can't remember the exact amount.

Archonic Energy
2007-06-06, 11:36 AM
There is one. To cover costs. It's less than a tenner. I can't remember the exact amount.

£ 2,399,999.99

a bargin. :smallwink:

Charity
2007-06-06, 01:29 PM
Make cheques payable to -
Send Archie and Charity to the Bahama's benevolent fund.
Ha Ha you'll never see that again
PO box - Legitwivtheloot

Last_resort_33
2007-06-06, 03:07 PM
Hey! shouldn't I get a cut in this...

Edit: Oh no it's ok, I got your Email

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 06 June 2007 05:38
To: Last_resort_33
Subject: PJ's Money
>
> It's ok. The cheque is in the post. Honest.
>

KuReshtin
2007-06-08, 06:47 AM
Now there is on turning back. We have sealed out fate.
HOtel has been booked for the Leeds weekend.

Surfer99 and myself are now booked into the Etap hotel for the Friday and Saturday nights.

Charity
2007-06-08, 07:28 AM
Now there is on turning back. We have sealed out fate.
HOtel has been booked for the Leeds weekend.

Surfer99 and myself are now booked into the Etap hotel for the Friday and Saturday nights.

Must book room

Totally Guy
2007-06-08, 01:36 PM
I'm back from my first week working in Leeds, gee the city centre is hard to drive in. I got lost trying to find my hotel a ton of times (holiday inn express). Hope I can find somewhere to live over the next week (wow my ad got a ton of responses).

Ikkitosen
2007-06-09, 05:41 AM
Must book room

Chaz ol' buddy, let me know where you book and I'll get me a room too - that way we can share a cab. And you can research the hotels for me. Ta!

Jontom Xire
2007-06-11, 07:38 AM
Ditto.

Although it's now getting so close I think I ought to stop being such a lazy shiftless git and find a hotel myself.

I'd rather be in the same place as others, particularly as others who are getting a lift with Charity, as it will simplify getting around and be more sociable. I'd also like recommendations/suggestions if anyone has any.

Archonic Energy
2007-06-11, 08:21 AM
Ditto.

Although it's now getting so close I think I ought to stop being such a lazy shiftless git and find a hotel myself.

I'd rather be in the same place as others, particularly as others who are getting a lift with Charity, as it will simplify getting around and be more sociable. I'd also like recommendations/suggestions if anyone has any.

Ditto... i was going to sort it a couple of weeks ago but... meh.

Charity
2007-06-11, 09:37 AM
Same here Archie, I shall use the really busy excuse.. but it is only a five minute job... I will sort my sh... stuff out tonight.

honest.

Archonic Energy
2007-06-18, 11:00 AM
must book room... or pack tent!

Charity
2007-06-18, 01:56 PM
LR just to check this is the Etap.

Address :
2 THE GATEWAY NORTH
CROWN POINT ROAD
LS9 8BZ LEEDS
UNITED KINGDOM

Tel : (+44)113 245 0725
Fax : (+44)113 245 0739

Castaras
2007-06-18, 02:14 PM
Hey, LR.

Could we have a list of who's doing what?

Last_resort_33
2007-06-18, 02:32 PM
Hey, LR.

Could we have a list of who's doing what?

I'll sort it out tomorrow. It's a big, boring job that I don't think I have enough information to complete. I'll do my best either tomorrow or wednesday, For many however it seems that they might just turn up, play some board games and hang around drinking. We'll see. I'll scour this thread and my PM history and try to piece everything together.

Oh and Yeah
it's that address. I'm not saying you HAVE to stay there, it just looked to be cheap for multiple people shacking up. Don't blame me if it's no good!

if you go onto Google Earth 53'47'41N 1'31'59W then you can see it being built about 2 years ago

Castaras
2007-06-18, 02:33 PM
I'll sort it out tomorrow. It's a big, boring job that I don't think I have enough information to complete. I'll do my best either tomorrow or wednesday, For many however it seems that they might just turn up, play some board games and hang around drinking. We'll see. I'll scour this thread and my PM history and try to piece everything together.

Okay, thanks.

Ikkitosen
2007-06-22, 06:55 AM
You can list me "attending" now, I just reserved my room at the etap hotel. Woot!

Jontom Xire
2007-06-26, 05:35 AM
Just booked into etap.

We should have organised a bulk book group discount.

Never mind, maybe next year.

Eldpollard
2007-06-26, 10:00 AM
I'm still looking for someone to share a room with. If anyone's interested could they PM me?

spinningdice
2007-06-26, 10:10 AM
I'm definately a no-show. Still I hope it happens again next year (on a slightly different weekend) as I was looking forward to this.

KuReshtin
2007-06-29, 07:26 AM
Woohoo!!!
Only two weeks to go.

That's going to be a hectic week for me.
Heading to Sweden next Saturday 7/7/07 to attend a housewarming/40th birthday/end of exams party at a couple of friends' place, followed by a couple of days to visit my family.
Back to Scotland on Wednesday night.
Work Thursday and Friday, and then leave for Leeds on Friday afternoon after work.
UKitp Meetup on the Saturday, and then back up north again on Sunday before heading back to work on Monday...

Going to be hectic....

Archonic Energy
2007-06-29, 09:09 AM
memo: must book bed.

oh & C. i've printed the cards & am leaving them in telephone booths city wide :smallwink:

Ikkitosen
2007-06-29, 09:46 AM
Good news, bad news:

Bad news: I wrote my car off last friday. I'm ok despite flipping it up on its side, but d'oh! It's a long walk to Leeds...

Good news: I'm buying a new car. A MUCH better car that should quite enjoy driving long distances.

Bad news: Getting the cash together might take a while :(

Good news: Got it sorted, get new car next friday - woot!! Any car called a "connosieur" must be classy, I reckon.

So, see y'all in Leeds :smallcool:

Archonic Energy
2007-06-29, 10:54 AM
So, see y'all in Leeds :smallcool:

following your pattern that should count as "bad news" :smallwink:

Ikkitosen
2007-06-29, 05:26 PM
Lol. I guess we could end up burninating the pub. Or of course Leeds might be under water by the time the meet-up arrives!

At least then we couldn't burninate the pub :smallwink:

Charity
2007-06-30, 12:18 PM
Who wants to waterski behind my car?

Bookman
2007-06-30, 02:46 PM
Who wants to waterski behind my car?

*raises hand*

And that solves the problem of how I'll get to the UK meetup! :wink:

I'll WATERSKI across the Atlantic! :biggrin: (because clearly Charity's car is magical and can drive like a boat)

Eldpollard
2007-06-30, 03:26 PM
*raises hand*

And that solves the problem of how I'll get to the UK meetup! :wink:

I'll WATERSKI across the Atlantic! :biggrin: (because clearly Charity's car is magical and can drive like a boat)

It's the new and improved chitty chitty bang bang! Now with ocean crossing action.

Totally Guy
2007-06-30, 03:40 PM
Switch me to a "Hell Yeah!" because I'm moving into a house in East Ardsley, Wakefield post code, tomorrow.

I'm going to be new in town and I don't know anyone so if anybody knows of any good local social type scenarios you'll have to tell me.

CrazedGoblin
2007-06-30, 04:09 PM
i might go

Archonic Energy
2007-06-30, 05:20 PM
good idea C. just one minor change...
*digs out skateboard*
*Digs out full body armour*

ok i'm ready

Memo: book a gorram bed!

Eldpollard
2007-07-01, 02:23 PM
I can't go to the meetup. I need to be at work. This is very annoying. But if this happens next year I will definitely going.

Lensman
2007-07-04, 02:25 AM
I've not had anyone PM me to say they want to play Star Wars (sniff... nobody loves me...:smallsmile: ). I want to get characters sorted out (and be able to write a scenario!) before the last minute - I'm anticipating a single 3 hour session with a lot happening, either morning or afternoon. Anyone interested, please let me know.

Adlan
2007-07-04, 03:54 AM
Same here concerning the Serenity game, I've had 1 person express interest (who I must remember to get back too).

Have we got a schedule of games and such sorted out? I want to know what games I can have a go at.

Dark Dork
2007-07-04, 04:07 AM
Okay, I think that's long enough.

The Introduction to D&D 3.5 game that I will be running is full.

My Group consists of:

Archonic Energy
Glug
Reinbowarrior
Jontom Xire
My Brother

Thank you all for your responses.

Five people is the maximum I can realistically handle but if anyone is desperate to join at last minute and asks me nicely enough, I'm sure I could arrange an assassination or something...

Archonic Energy
2007-07-04, 04:11 AM
Okay, I think that's long enough.

The Introduction to D&D 3.5 game that I will be running is full.

My Group consists of:

Archonic Energy
Glug
Reinbowarrior
Jontom Xire
My Brother

Thank you all for your responses.

Five people is the maximum I can realistically handle but if anyone is desperate to join at last minute and asks me nicely enough, I'm sure I could arrange an assassination or something...

Memo: wear Bullet proof armour... and take an SA-80

Ikkitosen
2007-07-04, 04:18 AM
Memo: wear Bullet proof armour... and take an SA-80

AK-47 for reliability every time mate. After all, try to fire a SA80 at anything but STP and you're taking a risk :smallwink:

The_Librarian
2007-07-06, 02:18 PM
Anyone else getting serious butterflies, or is that just me? :smalleek:

Am purchasing my rail ticket tomorrow, and after that, there's no going back! I've also been researching on Traveline, so I hope the geography of Leeds doesn't radically change overnight!

It's still at The Lord Darcy on Harrogate Road, yes?

Castaras
2007-07-06, 02:20 PM

Am purchasing my rail ticket tomorrow, and after that, there's no going back! I've also been researching on Traveline, so I hope the geography of Leeds doesn't radically change overnight!

Yes, and yes(I think).

Totally Guy
2007-07-06, 04:51 PM
I was up that way today with work. I must have been within a quarter of a mile of it.

It's getting close...:smallbiggrin:

Archonic Energy
2007-07-07, 08:03 AM

i do hope my talk of SA-80's hasn't scared you off...

i may have to get a custom T-shirt from somewhere with my Avi on it...
if i can be bothered to go to lakeside.
and if my funds will allow me.

memo: find local park & bring tent... OR JUST BOOK THE GORRAM ROOM!

Edit:
Additional Memo: Room booked. now how the bloody hell am i getting to basingstoke?!? C2C-Underground-Overhead...

The_Librarian
2007-07-07, 10:33 AM
Edit:
Additional Memo: Room booked. now how the bloody hell am i getting to basingstoke?!? C2C-Underground-Overhead...

..Wombling Free?
Should have resisted, could have resisted
Nope, I'm definitely coming. I'll be wearing my second favourite geek shirt, but it'll probably have no meaning unless you're a Neil Cicierga fan...

Lensman
2007-07-07, 11:40 AM
The Star Wars game has two probable players - if anyone else wants to play, please let me know. No need for assassinations in this zone (apart from NPCs, but this game tends to mow down unsuspecting stormtroopers like skittles). No AK47s, either - lightsabres are far more discriminating!

Probably just one session, despite what it says in LR's first page. No knowledge of the rules needed - I'll send you a brief summary if you're interested.

Exachix
2007-07-08, 09:24 AM
I am comming...

But I won't be playing any games I have to prepare for =P.

KuReshtin
2007-07-08, 02:11 PM
To recognise me at the meetup, look for the fat guy with the stripy hair.
The stripy hair is me honouring a promise I made to the football team I play for, where I said that I'd dye my hair in tiger stripes (the moniker of the team is "The Tigers") when we won our first game of the season. Of course, the very next game, we won, so I'm getting the stripes done.

Librarian, there's no need for butterflies. I've been to a few different meetups planned through the internet where not many have met before the actual day of the meet, and it always turns out to be a good time. So no need to worry.

LR, it was suggested on the US Southeast meetup page that a tradition should be started where a game of 'Kubb' is brought and played. I'll be able to bring that along if there's a patch of grass about 6 yards by 12 yards anywhere near the pub, as that's pretty much what's needed to play it. If not, I won't bother bringing the game to Leeds.

Castaras
2007-07-08, 02:15 PM
I'll be the thin girl with pink glasses, and frizzy brown hair.

Dragor
2007-07-08, 02:58 PM
Since I won't be coming (to my eternal, eternal shame) I hope you all have a good time :smallsmile: I, myself, will be camping in the great outdoors for a week, and heading off to Pompeii the week after. So, a lack of computer, bugger :smallwink: I'm just teasin'.

Maybe next year I'll be able to make it (at the age of 16, I'll have the right to rebel, heh heh.)

So.... have a good time lads and lasses, maybe next year you can all come round to Leicester :smallwink:

Dragor/Tom Brierley

Exachix
2007-07-08, 03:57 PM
I don't know what I'll be wearing =).

I'll be in a red fleece... and a hat...

other than that... who knows? =)

Archonic Energy
2007-07-09, 04:09 AM
i'll be the larger one, with enough tech on them to launce a 3 stage rocket into space.

in an "Archonic Energy" T-Shirt.

Castaras
2007-07-09, 05:36 AM
i'll be the larger one, with enough tech on them to launce a 3 stage rocket into space.

You'll have your mobile phone on you? :smallbiggrin: :smallwink:

Archonic Energy
2007-07-09, 06:22 AM
You'll have your mobile phone on you? :smallbiggrin: :smallwink:

yeah... and a DS :smalltongue:

Jontom Xire
2007-07-09, 07:30 AM
Charity, what time did you want us to get to Basingstoke?

So close now after all these months of waiting.

Charity
2007-07-09, 07:44 AM
Well it starts at twelve, and it's a four hour drive, so you Archie and Yuki ought to be in B/stoke by 8 or 9 in the morning, I believe we discussed all this before but it has been purged from my mailbox by an over zealous spring clean.
Also I promised to pick up Libris in Leeds from the station, (I was hoping to steal a local for navigation for this bit though).

Yuki, Archie when can you get to B/stoke?

Archonic Energy
2007-07-09, 07:52 AM
07:57/08:20 depending of getting out of bed...

Ikkitosen
2007-07-09, 08:05 AM
Also I promised to pick up Libris in Leeds from the station, (I was hoping to steal a local for navigation for this bit though).

Chaz old buddy I'm sure those of us with less full cars and less far to drive (I'm doing the "to" part of the journey in 2 bits; Reading - Birmingham, Birmingham - Leeds) can go pick up the public transport people, provided said "local for navigation" volunteers too :smallsmile:

Charity
2007-07-09, 08:20 AM
It is good of you to offer Ikky me old mukker, but I have promised, and I'm a man of my word. I think the lovely Libris is a wee bit anxious already, so a change of plans may not be whats called for.

Ikkitosen
2007-07-09, 08:22 AM
Understood mate, I don't know Libris so I'll leave it to you :smallcool:

Edit: Ahhh, didn't realise you were referring to our good Librarian, who has indeed mentioned her butterflies on the last page. Apologies to both of you! :smallredface:

Charity
2007-07-09, 08:33 AM
No worries, my fault for shortening everybodies names.

Have you moved down south yet? (Away from them barbaric northern types)

V you're not helping Archie

Archonic Energy
2007-07-09, 09:41 AM
I think the lovely Libris is a wee bit anxious already

Memo: show Libbie "The Book"

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i188/Archonic_NRG/2006_01120002.jpg

Ikkitosen
2007-07-09, 10:22 AM
Have you moved down south yet? (Away from them barbaric northern types)

Yeah, been living quite near you I guess for over a month :smallcool: Haven't been down to Basingstoke yet, but then have been without a car for a coupla weeks since writing mine off down a country lane (and ending up about 3 inches from the road myself as poor Fred flipped onto his side :smalleek:). I'm picking up a "new" ride this friday though. If that falls through then you might not see me this weekend!

Thes Hunter
2007-07-09, 11:14 AM
Ok, so where are the photos. Don't make me do this to Charity to get them.

http://www.worth1000.com/entries/140500/140970rXaw_w.jpg

Castaras
2007-07-09, 11:16 AM
Don't worry Thes...Lensman and I should be bringing the camera...*evil laugh*

Archonic Energy
2007-07-09, 11:21 AM
Ditto Cast.

Mobile, DS, and camera! my classified list of mobile Tech is slowly becoming known.

you're not helping Archie

yes i am... i just happen to be on the side of the butterflies :smallwink:

to be honest i'm worried too... about the weather knocking out rail/roads, and getting stuck in Leeds

Thes Hunter
2007-07-09, 11:23 AM
Curses me and my inability to read your silly brits numbering system.

I thought for somereason it was the seventh day of the seventh month of the 14th year. Wow was I call confused. :smallwink:

Castaras
2007-07-09, 11:24 AM
Curses me and my inability to read your silly brits numbering system.

I thought for somereason it was the seventh day of the seventh month of the 14th year. Wow was I call confused. :smallwink:

Hey! You americans are the ones with the silly numbering system! :smalltongue:

Exachix
2007-07-09, 12:04 PM
Ditto Cast.

Mobile, DS, and camera! my classified list of mobile Tech is slowly becoming known.

Laptop?
PDA?
PDA-Phone?
MP3 Player?
CD Player? =P.

Poor Americans... =P. I think ours is easier to understand... makes more sense to me.
No insult intended... :smalleek:

The_Librarian
2007-07-09, 03:13 PM
It is good of you to offer Ikky me old mukker, but I have promised, and I'm a man of my word. I think the lovely Libris is a wee bit anxious already, so a change of plans may not be whats called for.

Actually, I think getting to the pub will be fine, but getting back to the station concerns me a little.
As for anxious - not nearly as anxious as the sick feeling I got when I paid for the train ticket (£63 ow ow ow ow). I'm looking forward to it, honest! But also, I'm rather shy in front of, you know, people.

As for spotting me, I'll be the redhead with the wolf.
No, the wolf is not green.

Exachix
2007-07-09, 03:36 PM
As for spotting me, I'll be the redhead with the wolf.
No, the wolf is not green.

Aww... Why ruin my illusion!

KuReshtin
2007-07-09, 04:36 PM
Actually, I think getting to the pub will be fine, but getting back to the station concerns me a little.

I wouldn't worry about gettign back to the station.
There will be enough people there with cars to be able to get you to the station on time.
If Chaz won't take you, I'll volunteer my services as a driver to get you there.

The_Librarian
2007-07-10, 02:01 AM
Cheers - I think it'll depend on how people's games are going - I wouldn't want to be interrupting a game to disappear. One of my close friends is getting married on Sunday, so I kinda have to be back a decent time Saturday night, which'll mean me wimping out and going home early.:smallamused:

Ikkitosen
2007-07-10, 02:16 AM
...I paid for the train ticket (£63 ow ow ow ow)...

Woah! How far are you travelling?

Charity
2007-07-10, 02:17 AM
Er I was planning on not being fit to drive past about.. threeish Libris. I wont really be able to deliver you to the station. We can get you cabbed up or someone sober might be able to give you a lift. Oh and you should so dye the wolf green... 63 quid for a train ticket, it would be cheeper to buy a car. (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2001-51-REG-RENAULT-LAGUNA-1-6-DYNAMIQUE-16V-SPORTY-CAR_W0QQitemZ250141296205QQihZ015QQcategoryZ9861QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Not again Thes, do you know how long it took to get the tarmac out of my fur last time? I'll take a camera, if I can stand I'll take a few snaps.

Yuki I still havn't downloaded the Grimm PDF... I will get round to it, do you have the linky link I can follow?

Archonic Energy
2007-07-11, 04:16 AM
LR. can you please supply the postcode for the pu... i mean meeting place :smallwink:

i would like to see how far the ETap is away from it.

Ikkitosen
2007-07-11, 04:59 AM
LS17 8EH. It's about 6 miles. Taxi!

Archonic Energy
2007-07-11, 06:12 AM
do you recon the local busses will take my Oyster card? :smalltongue:

Memo: bring "Town Portal" Spell Scroll

Charity
2007-07-11, 06:37 AM
No worries Archie, just commit a petty crime at home before you leave, and when you're ready to go home dob yourself in and let the rozzers take you home.*

... profit.

* This tip and many more can be found in my new guide to modern living entitled 'What your criminal record can do for you' a snip at 14 months, available at all good Police stations.