PDA

View Full Version : Meetup United Kingdom in the Playground Meetup - 14/7/07

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Ikkitosen
2007-07-11, 07:11 AM
I'm sure the etap can sort a cab out for us...are you guys all in one room then? That's a funny image, even if it's not true :smallamused:

I also went for breakfast the following day - reckon I might need something to soak up the beer :smallwink:

Chaz, what time do you plan on rocking up? I suggest we save cash by driving to the Lord Darcy, getting a cab back and then you and I driving to pick it up the car the following day, if we can arrange that*.

*Assuming collection of my car goes ok this weekend...

Tom_Violence
2007-07-11, 07:20 AM
You know, I'd totally go if I could be arsed to drive all the way to Leeds. And then somehow maintain sobriety despite having just driven all the way to bloody Leeds.

That and the fact that the idea of meeting you all might just absolutely terrify me at least a little bit.

Ikkitosen
2007-07-11, 07:27 AM
You might be able to get a lift, though if you're in Bonny Scotland then I think most people are coming from the other direction.

Charity
2007-07-11, 07:33 AM
TV's guide to being arsed

(that came out a lot ruder than was originally planned...)

1. Drive to Leeds it's not far you northern jessy
2. Get drunk
3. Meet scary folk
4. get drunker
5. crash on someones floor
6. drive home next day
7. profit (well I will when I rob your wallet while you sleep, and tattoo swearwords into your forehead)

See nothing to be worried about whatsoever.

Archonic Energy
2007-07-11, 07:52 AM
single room (though i hear that this is the same as a triple room but only one person sleeps in it) & breakfast. mmmm food.

Adlan
2007-07-11, 09:14 AM
Well I got me ticket, and I'm ready and rearing to go...

Apart from the fact I have only 2 people interested in my Serenity Game. And while I will allow drifters and just people to show up, unless i get one more person, It's becomming a D&D game, because more people know those rules.

Ikkitosen
2007-07-11, 09:20 AM
...It's becomming a D&D game, because more people know those rules.

Sounds sensible!

Charity
2007-07-11, 09:38 AM
Chaz, what time do you plan on rocking up? I suggest we save cash by driving to the Lord Darcy, getting a cab back and then you and I driving to pick it up the car the following day, if we can arrange that*.

Er I think if we leave about half 8 I should be there at half 12, but I recon I can make it by about 12 by judicious use of the heavy right foot school of driving. I will send you my mobile number if you wish.

Ikkitosen
2007-07-11, 09:53 AM
SLAP (Sounds Like A Plan). That way I can let you know if when I'm arriving, and meet y'all. Although I'll be driving from Birmingham so shall probably arrive ahead of you, depending on just how heavy your right foot is :smallwink:

Tom_Violence
2007-07-11, 09:55 AM
1. Drive to Leeds it's not far you northern jessy

I'm from London. :smalltongue:

Still though, nice to know that I have a point of contact should I ever need a guide to 'being arsed'.

Charity
2007-07-11, 10:09 AM
TV's revised plan of arsisity

(I know)

1. check location indicator usually to be found on the front page of local newspaper
1a. If local paper indicates Northern location continue as before
1b. If local paper indicates southern location
1bi. rejoice
1bii. Hop on train to Basingstoke
1biii. Get in cramped car
1biv. experiance the true terror of the heavy right foot school of driving demonstrated by local aficionado.

The_Librarian
2007-07-11, 01:44 PM
Er I was planning on not being fit to drive past about.. threeish Libris. I wont really be able to deliver you to the station. We can get you cabbed up or someone sober might be able to give you a lift. Oh and you should so dye the wolf green... 63 quid for a train ticket, it would be cheeper to buy a car. (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2001-51-REG-RENAULT-LAGUNA-1-6-DYNAMIQUE-16V-SPORTY-CAR_W0QQitemZ250141296205QQihZ015QQcategoryZ9861QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Not again Thes, do you know how long it took to get the tarmac out of my fur last time? I'll take a camera, if I can stand I'll take a few snaps.

Yuki I still havn't downloaded the Grimm PDF... I will get round to it, do you have the linky link I can follow?

No worries - I can either bus it or taxi it from the pub.
And as for buying a car, that'd be great if I wasn't an unholy jinx on cars :smalleek:

Currently the plan is:

Leave house at 7am
Leave house at 7.10am at a run
Arrive in Leeds around 11am
Catch bus
Arrive at pub 11.30isham
Hide in girls' room
Leave at 4pm to get bus and train home.
Now you're just looking too hard for white text.
It'll be a short one from me.

KuReshtin
2007-07-12, 02:00 AM
Once again, I'll volunteer my car to take people from the Etap to the pub.
If that means that I have to make a couple of trips, then so be it.

The way back in the evening, might be a bit problematic, though, if everyone decids to leave at the same time.

Archonic Energy
2007-07-12, 03:51 AM
I'm from London. :smalltongue:

So? :smalltongue:

so am i and it's not stoppiong my attendnce!

Jontom Xire
2007-07-12, 04:19 AM
Charity,

would you prefer me to turn up at 7:40 or 8:17? at Basingstoke station?

I'm undecided as to whether I should turn up in my full goth regalia or not :)

Clumpy boots, black frilled shirt (frilled not lacy, ok?), might need to get some new trousers tho' and don't have time to do so.

Perhaps not :)

Charity
2007-07-12, 05:40 AM
Well Archie will be there at 7:57 or 8:20 so I would say whichever suits you best, obviously the earlier one is best if both Yuki and Archie get there early.

Wear what you like mate, I promise you can't shock me, you will be in a car for about 4 hours so i'd wear something comfy.

Archonic Energy
2007-07-12, 06:02 AM
Wear what you like mate, I promise you can't shock me, you will be in a car for about 4 hours so i'd wear something comfy.

empasis mine.

that sounds like a challange...
i'm sure i can find something "Comfortable" though the person sitting next to me probably won't be "comfortable"...

nor anyone who sits in that seat forever more.

Death, your friend the Reaper
2007-07-12, 06:15 AM
empasis mine.

i'm sure i can find something "Comfortable" though the person sitting next to me probably won't be "comfortable"...

You won't believe how many complaints I have received about the scythe...

...ok, so I am not going, just wanted to fit in. Although I may be going England-wards end of year, so may see a few of you (or people I see that I imagine is what you lot would look like).

Archonic Energy
2007-07-12, 06:27 AM
Although I may be going England-wards end of year, so may see a few of you

erm... do you know something we don't?

*panics*

Last_resort_33
2007-07-12, 08:21 AM
OK, I haven't been bothered to update the front page, I shall do that Friday night during my weekly D&D session (That should piss off the Dark Dork)

I don't have much time really cos I've just started my first proper permenant full time job, I've been on holiday, Em's Grandfather is in hospital and my brain is in a million squashy pieces, but just to let you know, everything is OK and I'm settling in and will begin posting here again as well as giving you a rocking meet up (hopefully)

basically I'M BACK BITCHES!

I will be doing a run to the train station at about 11AM.

If anyone needs anything then they can email me garethATpedrickNOSPAM.org.uk (AT should be @ and remove the NOSPAM) or if it's on the day, then call me on zero seven eight one four zero eight eight four four eight.

Charity
2007-07-12, 11:27 AM
empasis mine.

I promise you I am unshockable, but feel free to try, I could do with a good larf.
In other news I have finally booked a room, so I will have somewhere to sleep

drinky drinky

Oh Yuki, drop me a line or post something here as to sort of when you'll be arriving in the mighty B/stoke. I'll PM you as well.. still haven't downloaded the rulz to your game..

Yuki Akuma
2007-07-12, 12:28 PM
...Welp, I completely forgot all about this.

Bloody hell. It sounded like fun, too...:smallfrown:

CurlyKitGirl
2007-07-12, 12:35 PM
This is an forumite from England wishing you all the best of luck. No chance of going to one of these for a long time so enjoy. Supply many pics and reviews of stuff done so we can all envy you.

Dark Dork
2007-07-12, 05:37 PM
I've just designed the dungeon my posse will be crawlin'. This shizzle is bangin' etc.

Just checking the final lineup: Archonic Energy, Jontom Xire, Reinbowarrior (Haven't heard from you in a while), Glug, My Brother.

In fact, Reinbowarrior, can you PM to tell me you're definitely playing 'cause I don't remember getting any PMs from you earlier. Hang on, you do still exist, don't you?? :smalleek:

(hehe...PMs.)

Edit: Well, after searching his/her name I found that they have posted twice. One in here months ago and one in a discussion thread for Oots No.385. Ah, well, looks like the Grue got 'em. At the least the dungeon I created won't be underpowered as I simulated it with a 4-person party. Hurray! :smallcool:

The_Librarian
2007-07-13, 02:02 AM
(hehe...PMs.)

I'm a girl. I shouldn't laugh at that. I really shouldn't.

And I should also stop contemplating joining in the "can we shock Charity by dress-sense" competition. Also, because I am a girl, I've planned what I'm wearing very carefully, and it's too late to change it.
So there.
And now on to the real reason I wanted to post here - LR_33, I seem to remember that we owe you a small sum for hiring the room - how much?

Ikkitosen
2007-07-13, 03:23 AM
And now on to the real reason I wanted to post here - LR_33, I seem to remember that we owe you a small sum for hiring the room - how much?

And if we ALL pay you in beer - and promise to get you to hospital afterwards - is that ok? :smallamused:

Archonic Energy
2007-07-13, 03:36 AM
And I should also stop contemplating joining in the "can we shock Charity by dress-sense" competition.

can i please be the devil on your sholder for the purpose of this arguement?

24 hrs people...

Charity
2007-07-13, 04:30 AM
You only want to be on her shoulder for the view.

Woooo.

I will bring a couple of board games to lose bits of.
I will only have two passangers travelling up from the south, anyone else want a lift? Speak now or forever hold your peace.

Ikkitosen
2007-07-13, 04:35 AM
I would have - cheers :smallsmile: - but I now have plans tonight in Brum so shall be taking my train. See you tomorrow ladies and gents*.

*and, you know, whetever else :smallwink:

Archonic Energy
2007-07-13, 05:08 AM

[insert rolling eyes smilie]
the devil on the sholder always gets to say the fun stuff though.

Em
2007-07-13, 06:44 AM
OK, I have no idea what I'm playing - will happily drift into any game. I'm sure someone will have me, I don't bite :)

Life has been so stressful. I was kinda hoping that this meet would be on a different July 14 2007. I'm also ill. So if LR33 and I both turn up, wearing any clothes at all, somewhere near the venue, then I think we need a round of applause.

Woo, games!

xxx

Charity
2007-07-13, 07:42 AM
Life has been so stressful. I was kinda hoping that this meet would be on a different July 14 2007. I'm also ill. So if LR33 and I both turn up, wearing any clothes at all, somewhere near the venue, then I think we need a round of applause.

*Note to self- Nakid locals don't bite, but may carry disease*

Jontom Xire
2007-07-13, 10:20 AM

Woooo.

I will bring a couple of board games to lose bits of.
I will only have two passangers travelling up from the south, anyone else want a lift? Speak now or forever hold your peace.

Since you're being dirty, shouldn't that be "hold your piece"? ;)

Board games sound good. Finally started havignboard game evenings with my board game fanatic work colleague and have enjoyed Go, Thud, and Munchkins very much. If you haven't played Munchkins, go get it. It's hilarious and lots of fun - unless someone gets the kneepads of sex appeal or whatever it's called.

KuReshtin
2007-07-13, 10:21 AM
Okay, that's me and Surfer99 pretty much on our way down to Leeds.

We'll be checking in at the Etap tonight already so taht we don't have to drive for 3-4 hours tomorrow morning, and then turn up at the event looking generally dead.

If anyone wants a lift from the Etap tomorrow morning, either send me a text message or gimme a call at Oh 79 three two OH 32 nine one 6.

ETA Leeds: 8:30-9PM tonight. Or thereabouts.

Castaras
2007-07-13, 10:36 AM
Since you're being dirty, shouldn't that be "hold your piece"? ;)

Board games sound good. Finally started havignboard game evenings with my board game fanatic work colleague and have enjoyed Go, Thud, and Munchkins very much. If you haven't played Munchkins, go get it. It's hilarious and lots of fun - unless someone gets the kneepads of sex appeal or whatever it's called.

Munchkin fricking ROCKS! :smallbiggrin:

It's the kneepads of allure, by the way. Best artefact there. :smallwink:

BrokenButterfly
2007-07-13, 11:06 AM
I've also been getting serious butterflies (no pun there) about this thing, but I'm looking forward to it atm.

I guess I'll be boardgaming then, since I failed to get in on the D&D action, but I play too much anyway, so it's no real biggy. So long as I get to play some OotS I'll be content.

So just look out for the bespecled mulleted youth to find me...

zombie chick
2007-07-13, 11:51 AM
cant wait til tomorrow, and im up for any board games or anything that hasnt been planned.
gotta love munchkin, and i can learn the rules for any other game quickly,
otherwise id never win anything in my regular gaming night:smallbiggrin: (and the people i play with cheat)
looking forward to meeting some of you.

Zar Peter
2007-07-13, 02:33 PM
I want to wish all of you a great meeting in Leeds!

Have fun and enjoy!

KuReshtin
2007-07-14, 04:13 AM
Just for the record, driving in Leeds sucks.

I think I got lost about five times last night before finding the hotel, and then another six or seven times trying to get to the car park across the street.

However, myself and Surfer are in Leeds, ready to start heading to the pub to met people.

Oh, and please don't kill me for bringing my laptop.
Figured it'd be easier to do that than to drag along all the DnD Rulebooks. Not that I'd really need them, but someone might want to have a look for reference checking.

See you all in a bit.

The_Librarian
2007-07-14, 05:13 PM
Wanted to say that it was really great and just how gutted I was to have to leave so early, especially as the D&D game I was watching was immense fun merely to watch, and I dearly would have loved to join in.

It was great to see so many people there, and I think I'm going to have to buy a Munchkin set :smallamused: When the next one comes around, I'll definitely be wanting to join in more than I could today. Everybody came across as good people, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

If you get chance to come along to another one, I recommend it.

KuReshtin
2007-07-14, 06:26 PM
Just back at the hotel again after a very good day with the other UKitP:ers.

Very good sessions of Serenity, just a pity we had to cut the second session short because of closing time. Thanks a bunch to Adlan for running that. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Star Wars game was also very good, and I have to say that Lensman had a very good scenario set up, even if it was old. :)

And to think both of you were worried that you'd not get anyone to your games.;)

And for the record. I hate driving in Leeds. Make one wrong turn, and you have to drive around for half an hour to find your way back to the place you were supposed to go to... Grrrrr.....

Sir_Norbert
2007-07-14, 07:38 PM
Yes, I enjoyed being introduced to Serenity :elan: How did the second session go? What happened?

I knew I wasn't going to be staying long enough for the second session, so after the first ended I went over and watched the D&D game for the rest of my time there; that was also fun. I've never seen a tabletop game in action before. Always wanted to, but never found enough interested people at the same time.

Good to have met you all, and I hope it won't be the last time!

Matthew
2007-07-14, 09:37 PM
Aw, damn. I hope everyone is having a good time in Leeds. I forgot that this was this weekend. One thing drives out the other, as they say.

Archonic Energy
2007-07-15, 12:43 AM
OK which SOB set the fire alarm at the ETap? (@ 04:40) :smallfurious:
though the girls that locked themselves out looked nice... :smallsmile:

it was nice to put faces to names... or indeed Avatars 'cause no-one seemed to know anyone's screenname but when you said "What's your Avi?" people were able to recognise everyone

i'm currently at the ETap waiting for breakfast to start (all you can eat... he he he)

Amotis
2007-07-15, 01:03 AM
Pictures or it didn't happen.

Archonic Energy
2007-07-15, 01:24 AM
Pictures or it didn't happen.

i kinda' think that they'd object to some random guest taking pics of them in their nightware...

i did feel sorry for the poor lady who had to go to the lobby to get someone to open the door, so i lent her my jacket... because i'm such a gentleman (or in the hopes i could strike up a conversation you decide :smallwink: )

as for meetup photos, i left my camera's USB lead @ home but hopefully someone will be down soon with a camera that doesn't use xD cards so it can plug into my trusty lappie

Last_resort_33
2007-07-15, 02:27 AM
All the pictures I took were rubbish, but I managed to get hold of Adlan's SD card for his camera, So I have a few OK ones.

The First Few Victims

http://pedrick.franks.org.uk/pics/GITP/1.jpg

A Bunch of Munchkins

http://pedrick.franks.org.uk/pics/GITP/14.jpg

Dungeon Crawlin' Fun

http://pedrick.franks.org.uk/pics/GITP/18.jpg

Joss Whedon is my Master Now

http://pedrick.franks.org.uk/pics/GITP/19.jpg

Group Shot

http://pedrick.franks.org.uk/pics/GITP/A12.jpg
Charity, Em, Archonic Energy, Adlan, Surfer99, Lensman, Exachix
Zombie Chick, Dark Dork's Brother, Dark Dork, Jontom Xire, Glug, Sir Norbert, Castaras, Broken Butterfly
KuReshtin, Last_Resort_33

Anyone want to steal my secret?
Charity is a Halfling!

Archonic Energy
2007-07-15, 02:33 AM
All the pictures I took were rubbish, but I managed to get hold of Adlan's SD card for his camera, So I have a few OK ones.

The First Few Victims

http://pedrick.franks.org.uk/pics/GITP/1.jpg

A Bunch of Munchkins

http://pedrick.franks.org.uk/pics/GITP/14.jpg

Dungeon Crawlin' Fun

http://pedrick.franks.org.uk/pics/GITP/18.jpg

Joss Whedon is my Master Now

http://pedrick.franks.org.uk/pics/GITP/19.jpg

*Snip*

Group Shot

[CENTER]
http://pedrick.franks.org.uk/pics/GITP/A12.jpg
Charity, Em, Archonic Energy, Adlan, Surfer99, Lensman, Exachix
Zombie Chick, Dark Dork's Brother, Dark Dork, Jontom Xire, Glug, Sir Norbert, Castaras, Broken Butterfly
KuReshtin, Last_Resort_33

Anyone want to steal my secret?

Where are you posting from? LR?

are you at the ETap?

Last_resort_33
2007-07-15, 02:37 AM
Where are you posting from? LR?

are you at the ETap?

No, I'm at home.... I live about 3 minutes drive away from the pub... why do you think I chose it?

Adlan
2007-07-15, 02:47 AM
Photo's!

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b361/Adlan/IMGP0378.jpg
Group Shot, missing Ikkitosen who avoid being photographed for some odd reason and mesteriously hid behind cameras. Me and Last Resort are going over the photo's now, trying to put avatars to faces, hopefully we can work most of them out, more photo's soon.

Glad Everyone enjoyed the Serenity Game. Bonus plot points if peple get what Novel I stole a setting from :smallcool: Short Summary. 1st Round. The Pretentious and her dashing (cutthroat) crew, sailed from beylix, with 2 jobs. 1 a Simple smuggling job, from Leon's (Surfer 99) contact (Niska). And the Other, another simle Smuggling Job, a crate of valuble Sunstones out from the bluesun monopoly on Zanthrusta. After Intimidating the Quatermaster to gving them a better cut, and collecting the money Mr Niska is Due, they collected the Sunstones from the prospectors for delivery to Sihnon, on the understanding that should they double cross them, every miner across the verse would be out to get them.

On the Way to Sihnon, they dropped by to deliver the Money to Mr Niska, who Invited them to his private station, to discuss another job. The Job?
Well apparently a Valuble Cargo of Sunstones was being shipped across the Verse. They should either hit the Cargo before, or after it had dropped off it's cargo on Sihnon, and steal the Money being deliverd to the miners on Zanthrusta or the sunstones themselves. IF they didnt find the ship before it reached Sihnon, they had a mole in the jewlery busisness, who would ID the ship for them to rob.

Dilema for the Crew.... Who solved it the usual way, a recolection of faulty fusion bottles on the station, lots of explosives, and penash.

In Session 2, the Crew hired on a New Doctor, Tough man, Mechanic and Pilot, to replace 'Losses'. They then Proceeded to land on Persephone, Hack the Local Society balls invites, and the Doc met up with an Old Aquaintence, who managed to smuggle out some bank invites for the crew.

Having 2 extra invites, they sold them off for some new duds (And the Doc gaind the Skill speciality Pimpin' ), and strutted into the ball. Where they managed to secure a job from a Mr A. Wing, Fail their Resistance tests against Alchol, and get into a duel at dawn, where the captain proceeded to easily defeat a hungover young alliance fop. Before not killing him. Atherton didn't like this, so they lost the job, and the pub closed....

It was good fun, Lensmans Game Ruled (KT! Nooooooooooooo!). Emms Mum is really nice (She gave me lots of food :smallbiggrin: ) and I even got a Real matress to sleep on. Life is good.

Castaras
2007-07-15, 03:24 AM
The two pictures our camera had(other than the group pics of course).

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/3959/uktip071ir4.png
From left to right...Behind we have Exachix, Last Resort, KuReshtin. In front we have Em, Zombie Chick, and Castaras.

http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/1852/ukitp072hc1.png
Dark Dork and his brother.

And I'm so glad that I came. It was awesome to meet you lot and put names to faces(Or faces to avatars. :smalltongue:), and loads of fun to blow you all up curse you steal your powers and strengthen your monsters talk to you. :smallbiggrin:

When's the next one going to be? :smalltongue: :smallwink:

zombie chick
2007-07-15, 03:34 AM
that was a great day! it was nice to meet up with new people and do some serious gaming.
i still cant believe we all forgot to bring OOTS game, ah well next time eh?
the group sessions of munchkin were really cool i hadnt played that in ages.
also the two new board games, nuclear war and porto rico rocked! will have to find and aquire those games.
i hope we can do this again and next time i will know the rules to zombies i promise:smallwink:

great pictures as well

Exachix
2007-07-15, 05:23 AM
That was great fun, that whole day.

If it happens again, I will try and go =P.

Lensman
2007-07-15, 05:46 AM
A really good meet-up - everyone was really friendly and a good time was had by all. I'm sorry we had to leave when we did - I look forward to the next one!

Adlan's Serenity game was ace - quotes include "I don't want to annoy Niska, I just want to kill him" and "Okay, so Niska wants us to rob... us". "The landscape looks like Colorado." "Well, how would I know what Colorado looks like - it was destroyed five hundred years ago!"

Thanks to all my players in the Star Wars game, who were all good sports even when I was threatening to blast them, drop them into molten lava or feed them to an angry turbolift (I won't mention the security woman). I can post a write-up if anyone's interested, but be warned it runs to about 9 paragraphs.:smallamused:

Bookman
2007-07-15, 06:14 AM
Well it's offical.

The UK has had the largest meetup up yet.

CURSE YOUuuuuuuuuuuu :wink:

Of course there WILL be a response (maybe)

BrokenButterfly
2007-07-15, 06:35 AM
I had a fantastic time, so my thanks to everyone who was involved. That's people who turned up, brought games, taught how to play said games, and especially to LR33, for organising everything. A great meet, and I hope that we can do something like this again, with even more forumites!

I definitely need to get a copy of Munchkin Bites, very fun game. I think we need a copy of the OotS boardgame next time (well maybe two or three to be sure...). And the rules for Zombies...

And it was great meeting all of you guys and girls :smallbiggrin:

Ikkitosen
2007-07-15, 08:15 AM
Thanks all, I had a great time! Being pipped by brokenButerfly at Nuclear War but getting revenge at Munchkin was great fun (go Holy Hammer of Kneecapping!). Still, that's not going to help my (now dead) population :smallfrown:

Then of course my Pimpin' serenity character ("Dr. No f'in way") was great fun - we've gotta play that again :smallsmile:

Thanks to everyone for coming along and to LR33 for organising. See you all at the next one, someplace further south :smallwink:

Ikki.

Charity
2007-07-15, 09:08 AM
howdy all
jontom and Archie have been safely delivered to the train station none the worse for wear for their adrenaline filled journey homw in the pouring rain.
Woooo British weather.

I have some pics... but they'll have to wait, Ikky no likey piccies cos he's a secret super spy, I know cos i stole his briefcase...
Is that the sound of a helicopter landing in the front gard..

Ikkitosen
2007-07-15, 09:28 AM
Glad you guys got home in one piece Chaz - that weather was pretty shocking! Plus your car must have been pretty slow with all 3 of you AND AE's "laptop", ahem:

http://www.innfusion.com/blogimages/Brick.jpg

Charity
2007-07-15, 09:41 AM
Man that thing is HEAVY... very pretty though.

Next meet up is in the South *shudders at the memory of the terrible loop*

KuReshtin
2007-07-15, 09:48 AM
Just got back home about 20 minutes ago.
True to form, I missed an exit on the A1, where I was supposed to head west to get onto the M74 towards Glasgow, and instead ended up following the A1 all the way to Edinburgh instead, but it's all good.
Dropped off Surfer at his place at about 1:30PM after having set off from the Etap at about 8:30.

And I agree with AE. Some of the wimmins running about when the fire alarm went off were pretty darn nice to look at. Unfortunately, we didn't have a member of staff available to tell us that evacuation of the hotel was unnecessary, so we trudged down the 7 flights of stairs to the ground floor to get a bit of fresh air.

It was a lot of fun to meet everyone, and if I forgot to thank LR_33 for organising things before, I'd like to take the moment to do so now. Thanks.

Hopefully, I'll be down at the next one as well.

zombie chick
2007-07-15, 10:38 AM
here are some houserules for zombies, gotta love this site:smallwink:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/2471

Adlan
2007-07-15, 11:52 AM
Thanks to all my players in the Star Wars game, who were all good sports even when I was threatening to blast them, drop them into molten lava or feed them to an angry turbolift (I won't mention the security woman). I can post a write-up if anyone's interested, but be warned it runs to about 9 paragraphs.:smallamused:

It was an Awesome Game, I loved the realisation. I support the Rebel Alliance, dosn't mean I have to be nice. Playing The Geek Braining one of the most tightarse officers with a Computer was frigging awesome. Please do post up a 'summary' :smallamused:

We need summarys of every game that was played.

And we need to do this again... X-Mas?

Archonic Energy
2007-07-15, 11:58 AM
Glad you guys got home in one piece Chaz - that weather was pretty shocking! Plus your car must have been pretty slow with all 3 of you AND AE's "laptop", ahem:

http://www.innfusion.com/blogimages/Brick.jpg

keep dissin my lappie & i'll send the KGB over to you with some sushi...

Dim Dork
2007-07-15, 11:58 AM
Hello Everyone!

I'm Dark Dork's brother in case you were wondering, you know the tiny one that played D+D at the meetup with him. I'm confused by Forums so I might go a bit crazy!:smallsigh:

Ikkitosen
2007-07-15, 12:10 PM
Hello Everyone!

I'm Dark Dork's brother in case you were wondering, you know the tiny one that played D+D at the meetup with him. I'm confused by Forums so I might go a bit crazy!:smallsigh:

Don't worry man, we know who you are. You're one of the ones that didn't die, right? Eh Jontom? :smallamused:

Thanks AE. Mmmm...sushi :smallbiggrin:

Castaras
2007-07-15, 12:13 PM
And we need to do this again... X-Mas?

Hell yeah. Xmas sometime.

Preferably not between the 11th and 15th though...if it's sometime between then, I'll have to bow out.

Hello Everyone!

Don't worry, we'll stab murder confuse even more "Help" you. :smallbiggrin:

BrokenButterfly
2007-07-15, 12:49 PM
I'd love to have another meet-up around Christmas, one year's too long to wait...

Please can game summaries be posted up? I was getting somewhat curious about all of the questionable droid voices piercing the gaming ambience.

Lensman
2007-07-15, 01:06 PM
Okay, you asked for it.

STAR WARS: THE WRITE-UP

Five heroic rebels (Tamar, the con-artist (Charity), Canraki, the smuggler (KuReshtin), Lanti, the pilot (Surfer99), Merik, the engineer (Adlan), and Cal, the wannabe Jedi (Last Resort) – not to mention KT-33, Merik’s droid/laptop (Yours truly, with a particularly irritating computer voice!) sneaked into an Imperial Research Station, trying to steal a Power Flux Controller. They climbed down a cliff, narrowly avoided being squished by a monorail train, and reached a security door. Their efforts to pick the locks failed dismally, and it looked like the operation would collapse, until they thought to “ring the doorbell” and ask to be let in. Two helpful stormtroopers obliged (you don’t have to be bright to work for the Empire), and they set out to search the base.

They picked a door at random and walked in, pretending they owned the place. The two alien (plant-life) scientists inside greeted them. “You must be the rebels. You’re very brave to do this job. Stand up against the wall and we’ll test our new weapons on you.” It turned out that the scientists had arranged for some stormtroopers to pretend to be rebels. The PCs jumped them and blasted them into compost. Lanti also blasted the R2 unit in the room, just for good measure, to Merik’s dismay.

They downloaded the base schematics, and headed out, blasting the door lock so no one found the bodies. Outside, they met Captain Thandar, the arrogant, officious officer organising the weapons test, with three very silly-looking stormtroopers in “rebel” clothes. Another con roll persuaded Thandar that the door had malfunctioned and they were going to get cutting gear. Thandar was not amused and insisted on accompanying Cal and Merik to the engineering store, leaving the other three to “start work”. The stormtroopers (relieved at this delay) hurried off to get changed.

Cal and Merik went to the store with Thandar. The technician at the store turned out to know Merik. He piled three crates on Cal to carry, and turned a blind eye when Merik grabbed an opportunity to thump Thandar with KT. The Captain was dazed, whereupon Cal dropped the three crates on him (it really wasn’t his day). They locked the unconscious Thandar in a store room – the old technician was more worried about damage to KT.

Meanwhile the other three headed down to where the PFC was supposed to be. The relevant room contained 4 technicians (including a green wookiee – no fashion sense, these walking carpets) and a scary female security officer. She checked their (forged) passes. Canraki’s was no good – he told her Captain Thandar had given it to him. She blasphemed about Thandar, saying that someone needed to beat him over the head with a computer.:smallbiggrin: She then looked at Tamar, the handsome young con-man, showing obvious interest. Tamar tried to flirt with her, and rolled a critical failure.:smallredface: We do not know what he said to her, but she was not amused. She dragged him into another room and threatened him – she had retractable (Wolverine-style) claws. He bluffed desperately, and finally managed to turn on the charm. She told him to meet her in her room next rest period. He fled, probably traumatised for life!

She returned and began threatening Canraki. Cal and Merik eventually turned up, and the situation degenerated into a melee. Lanti blasted the wookiee as it tried to thump Merik, and Cal used her lightsabre (and the Force) to slice up the security woman, who turned out to be a virtually unstoppable cyborg.

Merik then crawled across a narrow catwalk strung above molten lava (someone really needs to talk to the Empire about their architecture, or even about safety regulations!) to get to the PFC, evading stormtrooper blasters (lucky they’re lousy shots). More stormtroopers were trying to break into the room, and Cal and Lanti tried to hold them off – Cal used her lightsabre to cut through the door and slice the STs on the far side, much to their misery and vociferous complaints (“Hey! That’s not fair!”), and then Lanti shot through the holes Cal had cut (“Ouch! That’s still not fair!”).

Canraki gave Merik covering fire to get the PFC. He used his engineering skills to discouple it from the power system, realising afterwards that the base depended on this thing to regulate the flux core of the power system (translation – the base is going to go boom, fellas!), but the stormtroopers shot through the catwalk cables. It looked like Merik would have to choose between saving the PFC or saving KT – he said he would rather fall into the molten lava than lose KT. Fortunately,. Lanti and Canraki shot down the troopers and dragged him to safety.

Tamar had found the turbolift to the hangarbay. It was a talkative and obstreperous (Sirius Cybernetics!) lift, and he had to argue it into obedience (“Please do not push this button again!”). The others ran over – Lanti pointed a blaster at the lift and tried (unsuccessfully) to intimidate it. They got to the hangar deck, stole a Lambda shuttle, and blasted to safety, Cal using the Lambda’s guns to blow open the hangar doors while Lanti demonstrated why no sane insurance company would give him vehicle insurance, flying the shuttle out with inches and seconds to spare as the base blew up behind them.

Ikkitosen
2007-07-15, 01:15 PM
I take it the unstoppable cyborg was the reason LR33's jedi used their force point? I remember Munchkin being momentarily interrupted by a conversation that went something like:

Lensman: So, you're using your force point. What are you going to do?

LR33 (a Jedi, remember): *emphatically* Cut her in half with my lightsabre!!

*sounds of many D6s rolling*

Lensman: *Nonchalantly* Ok, you slice her to pieces.

The moral? Don't mess with Jedi, they badass when they're pissed off! (There is no emotion, there is peace!)

If we meet up again soon I might run a D6 SW game - yours made me remember some of the good times we had playing it! :smallbiggrin:

Last_resort_33
2007-07-15, 02:08 PM
and Cal used her lightsabre (and the Force) to slice up the security woman, who turned out to be a virtually unstoppable cyborg.

Emphasis Added.

Thanks all you guys for coming.... Depending on how work goes a GITP Xmas party may be on the cards... I think I'll investigate Nottingham, cos it's more population central, but the Leeds venue was quite a good layout, but keep hushed about it cos nothing is in the pipeline yet.

Once again, Thanks all of you.... Next time we shall bring the rules for Zombies!

GET YOUR PICTURE UP PEOPLE!!!

BrokenButterfly
2007-07-15, 06:25 PM
Before I forget: No LR, I do not want to steal your secret!

That was a great game of Nuclear War guys, even if it did take me a while to get to grips with the rules. A bit of a callous game perhaps? :smallamused:

Last_resort_33
2007-07-16, 12:42 AM
I liked it when we were introducing ourselves, and Cas said "Hello, I'm on the forum as Castaras, I mainly talk about pies and the game" and in an immaculately timed manner, half the room simutaniously said "Damn!"

Another was early on when I bought everyone who had turned up thus far, a round of drinks and we all toasted to Rich Burlew a little voice (jokingly) said "who?"

I think that you're all fantastic people, and there wasn't one person there that I wouldn't be honoured to call my friend.

Ikkitosen
2007-07-16, 01:24 AM
I think that you're all fantastic people, and there wasn't one person there that I wouldn't be honoured to call my friend.

Eloquently put my friend.

Jontom Xire
2007-07-16, 02:05 AM
Don't worry man, we know who you are. You're one of the ones that didn't die, right? Eh Jontom? :smallamused:

Thanks AE. Mmmm...sushi :smallbiggrin:

Huh. I was just doing my job, tanking it up, while the rest of the party hid behind me. Fair play to Dim Dork who did his job healing me as much as he could, but it wasn't until after I was dead and they realised they were now directly in trouble, that they actually started being a bit clever.

In fairness though, perhaps I should have just "made a tactical withdrawal" and left them to it much earlier - i.e. before I died.

Hey, Dark Dork, you gonna run a game on the forums? I think I may still have some pre-rolled characters around from previous attempts to join games.

Castaras,

I'm gutted I didn't get a decent chance to chat to you. We've played enough games together.

Lensman
2007-07-16, 02:17 AM
Hey - we've admitted the horrors that took place in the Serenity and Star Wars games - when are you going to post a write-up of the D&D game?

Ikkitosen
2007-07-16, 02:50 AM
Huh. I was just doing my job, tanking it up, while the rest of the party hid behind me. Fair play to Dim Dork who did his job healing me as much as he could, but it wasn't until after I was dead and they realised they were now directly in trouble, that they actually started being a bit clever.

In fairness though, perhaps I should have just "made a tactical withdrawal" and left them to it much earlier - i.e. before I died.

Nah, standing at the front taking a beating is what you were there for, I'm only messin' with ya :smallwink:

Yeah, D&D write up please! I could write up Nuclear War ("Missiles fall, everyone dies") or Munchkin, but our good GM has already told you about Serenity.

Last_resort_33
2007-07-16, 02:55 AM
Knowing Dark Dork, he is unlikely to take writing up a game report lightly, he is more the sort of person who will write a 5000 word essay, or nothing at all.

KuReshtin
2007-07-16, 03:48 AM
Knowing Dark Dork, he is unlikely to take writing up a game report lightly, he is more the sort of person who will write a 5000 word essay, or nothing at all.

He did seem very thorough in his approach to the game, especially bringing his entire "Drawer of Random Goodness for any Eventuality" to the pub.

So I would assume that he'd be as thorough in his game report for the DnD game.

Archonic Energy
2007-07-16, 04:02 AM

i cast sleep. :smallwink:

i'm saddened that i didn't get to "cast magic missle @ the darkness" though.

so... next time London then! (this'll show you the real price of a round)

Vampiric
2007-07-16, 04:30 AM
Dammit. Wish I'd remembered. I could've got up to london... I live down near Southampton, though (if you know it) I'm nearer Andover and Salisbury. Nice pics, though.

KuReshtin
2007-07-16, 04:50 AM
I'll post the pictures from my camera (excluding the group photo as we've already had a few of those) as soon as I get home from work and can find the camera USB cable that has gone missing.

Jontom Xire
2007-07-16, 05:35 AM
Dammit. Wish I'd remembered. I could've got up to london... I live down near Southampton, though (if you know it) I'm nearer Andover and Salisbury. Nice pics, though.

I live near Southampton too! Whereabouts are you? You could have got a lift with Charity like Arch-E and I.

Also I'm always keen to meet gamers in the area. I want to start a group and have a regular DnD game. However my social life seems to be blooming to the extent where I have very few weekends or even evenings free, so it might be a bit tricky.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-07-16, 05:35 AM
I can confirm that despite being reasonably close, I will not be turning up to any of these in the future, ever. Sorry guys. Your attempts to lure me out of hiding will never work. :smallredface: Glad to hear it went well though, gives you slightly more chance of changing my mind someday in the future.

(Someone asked me why I didn't come. Thought I'd taunt you all maniacally).

Sir_Norbert
2007-07-16, 05:43 AM
*looks at Saithis' avatar*

*casts Magic Missile at the darkness*

Castaras
2007-07-16, 05:57 AM
I liked it when we were introducing ourselves, and Cas said "Hello, I'm on the forum as Castaras, I mainly talk about pies and the game" and in an immaculately timed manner, half the room simutaniously said "Damn!"

*evil laugh* So much fun to do that, especially when elsewhere people just look at you oddly when you talk about it. :smallamused:

And it was just so easy to do! Especially when Glug had already mentioned it to me. :smalltongue:

Castaras,

I'm gutted I didn't get a decent chance to chat to you. We've played enough games together.

I don't think I saw you except at the end...You were with the DnDers, right?

Hmm...ah well. Hopefully, we can all arrange another one, seeing as alot of us have already said we want another...

Surfer99
2007-07-16, 06:40 AM
That was so much fun, i really enjoyed playing in the Serenity Verse. Lensemann ran a great SW game i regret i didnt get to backstab anyone in munchkin but that will happen next time.

Xmas party sounds like a good idea and yes the fire "drill" at Etap was pretty sucky exept well it wasnt, lots of scantly clad women running around could basicly be my defination of a good evening :p

Tho someone was silly and gave a jacket so they could cover themselves up >.<

:smallcool:

Archonic Energy
2007-07-16, 06:50 AM
That was so much fun, i really enjoyed playing in the Serenity Verse. Lensemann ran a great SW game i regret i didnt get to backstab anyone in munchkin but that will happen next time.

Xmas party sounds like a good idea and yes the fire "drill" at Etap was pretty sucky exept well it wasnt, lots of scantly clad women running around could basicly be my defination of a good evening :p

i wonder who that was

*whistles innocently*

i was gonna invite her into my room to warm up... but it sounded a bit sleasy so i bottled out, and just passed her my leather jacket. she did look cold under that tho :smallwink:

Jontom Xire
2007-07-16, 08:30 AM

There weren't any scantily clad young ladies running around on my floor :(

Only an aggressive tosser looking for a fight with anyone he could find.

Dark Dork
2007-07-16, 08:49 AM
It seems I'm the essay type. Enjoy.

The group met in a tavern, and whilst discussing their previous adventures and expeditions over a tankard of hearty ale, a beggar wearing tattered royal clothing approached them. He appeared to have lost a lot of wealth very quickly, somewhat down on his luck. He jangled a metal tin at the loyal servant of Pelor, Hermocraties. The generous soul paid him a single gold piece without hesitation. The beggar thanked the priest for his charity and offered to tell his story to the itchy-footed adventurers who were currently between expeditions. He explained he owned a house in the countryside where he had lived alone peacefully for many years. But a short while ago, a group of kobolds had moved in and claimed the house for their own, pushing the beggar out and forcing him to rely on the goodwill of strangers. He offered to pay the adventurers handsomely if they cleared the creatures from the house and make sure no others would ever threaten his home again.
Thrifty as always, the dwarven warrior jumped to the opportunity to negotiate expenses, transport and rewards, baffling the poor man into submission. He claimed he knew nothing of the city-folk’s economics and told them his house was a ten-minute walk from the inn.

So they set off on their great adventure and soon arrived at the cottage. They spotted one of the reptilian, yapping creatures standing guard at the front door, armed with a ferocious-looking pointed stick. While the warrior drew his shortbow, loading and aiming to take the creature out silently with a well-positioned arrow, the priest nonchalantly brandished his holy symbol and set about torturing the creature’s mind. It folded almost instantaneously and so it fled the scene, yelling and screaming. Hearing the demented cries of their friend, the remaining kobolds burst out the door, around ten in number, to encircle the adventurers. The warrior charged forward with his waraxe, cutting down a handful in a few seconds. The rogue drew his sling and took out a one or two from a distance with some well-aimed stones. The cleric waded in with his mace, impaling the creatures at the temples and smashing their skulls against the flagstones. But the kobolds fought back, ganging up on the warrior and one got a lucky strike, stabbing deeply into his unprotected underarm. But then, from back down the road, two orbs of arcane power burst forth and collided with the creatures with unerring accuracy, shattering their frail bodies. A moment later, the sorcerer let forth a wave of invisible energy, striking the creatures and rendering many unconscious. The rest were mopped up or finished off easily.

The team entered the house to find most of the wealth of the beggar had been transferred to the kobolds pockets. However, a large copper key was found that was too big for the front door. Its markings indicated a more ancient and mystic purpose. Upon leaving the abode the rogue spotted two armed goblins talking in the ruins of a tower in one of the fields behind the cottage. Looking at his allies and pressing a finger to his lips, he darted around the side of the house and picked his way towards his targets by slipping between shrubs and trees, drawing ever closer. He hid behind a pile of rubble by the ruin and listened into the conversation in goblin, a tongue in which he was familiar. With his keen senses, he determined that these goblins were hiding something down in the ruins of this tower and they had reached a dead end. The Halfling readied his sling and projected a stone into the back of one of the goblin’s skull. The creature’s eyes crossed, and he fell down to his knees and then onto his chin. His friend looked around desperately, but the rogue remained safely hidden behind the mound. Back at the cottage, the warrior, not wanting to miss out on any killing, took the others and charged to the ruins, issuing battle cries as they ran. The rogue, seizing this distraction, sneaked behind the remaining goblin and made short work of him with his dagger. Dismayed, the warrior decapitated the goblin anyway.

Using the information the Halfling had gleaned from the conversation, they took the larger band of goblins that dwelled beneath the ruins via a concealed staircase by surprise. It appeared they got stuck when faced with a large stone door that they had tried and failed to hack down with their morningstars. The rogue used the copper key from the house on the door and with a soft click, the door swung open, revealing a humble entryway with a number of doors to investigate. In search of what the goblins were looking for, the party penetrated deep into the dungeon, slaying further bands of kobolds and goblins that had gotten lost within its halls. On one of which, they found a piece of a shattered amulet, although broken, it looked important, so they stowed it away in case it was needed later.
Soon after, they discovered a secret passageway with a spiked pit trap on the corridor. Not wanting to risk the jump, the rogue found a concealed switch near the pit and found a sliding mechanism that closed it up. Progressing deeper, they found a room with piles of skeletons. Fearing reanimation from dark energies, the warrior used a rope to grab one of them out of the room without entering it, and pulled it all the way to the pit, which they threw it down, throwing down a lamp oil bomb for good measure. Delighted at their achievement, the adventurers attempted the stunt once more but found that the skeletons didn’t appreciate the effort they went to and all now crowded the door, armed with rusty scimitars. Gulping, the party smashed them to pieces, but not without sustaining some nasty wounds from their weapons. After the battle, they went into the room and saw that it was connected to another but sealed with a heavy iron portcullis. Inside the room, they could see it contained a large treasure chest and an enormous inanimate skeleton that looked around twice the height of the party members (except the Halfling). Although there was a crank to open the portcullis, the party decided to make camp and rest to recover their magical energies and tend to their wounds. Meanwhile, the warrior industriously crafted a means of squirting lamp oil at the skeleton at a distance by filling a dead goblin’s stomach with the flammable substance.
When the rest of the party were well rested, the warrior squirted the skeleton with the oil and took a torch from their adventuring pack, lit it and flung it at the skeleton, not before covering their ears and closing their eyes, preparing for what would be a large bang. But no such explosion was detected; they opened their eyes to see the skeleton, drenched in lamp oil, holding the burning torch. Throwing the torch down, the skeleton grabbed the portcullis with its huge claws and wrenched it out of the wall and flung it at the warrior. The warrior then deflected the blows of the skeleton whilst being pinned by the gate while his friends desperately tried to pull the skeleton off him. A well timed bolt of force from the sorcerer allowed the warrior to squeeze free and run out of the room and down the corridor, calling to the Halfling to activate the trap as the undead creature moved across it. The skeleton dogged the heels of the warrior as he ran for safety and was luckily just fast enough to get across in time. The rogue pulled the switch, sending the bewildered creature clattering down the pit. The warrior then handed out his homebrewed Molotov cocktails to his friends who all sent them flying down the pit, exploding on the skeleton as it feebly clawed at the walls, fruitlessly trying to climb back up with its charred bones. The rogue closed the pit, leaving the skeleton alone with its thoughts. And LOTS of fire.

In the chest where the skeleton originally lay was another piece of the amulet. Two other pieces remained and so they progressed deeper in the dungeon in search of this treasure. The party eventually came to a gate composed purely of blue, glowing energy that blocked their way. They tested the gate by throwing a goblin into it, which burst into blue fire and was incinerated in seconds. Not wanting to meet a similar fate, the group took note of the gate’s location and took a different route. Soon after, they came across a forge, run by a couple of married dwarves. They asked the adventurers to find the silver idol that would lower the energy gate that leads to their home, they offered any treasure they could lay their hands on within the house as long as they returned the idol. Sceptical, the party asked if they knew of the amulet whose pieces they were collection and they said that they owned a piece, too and that the adventurers could take it if they so wished. The dwarves handed a set of keys to get them deeper in the dungeon. Sure enough, they found the idol in a bookshelf in a library, protected by three orcs. They put the idol in a small recess in an altar beside the energy gate and it was rendered safe. They went through and found a switch on the other side of the gate that could reactivate it. Taking a look inside the dwaves’ home, they found another piece of the amulet the dwarves promised.

Progressing further through the dungeon, they found a room with a stone door and altar that seemed to hold a book of some sort. The sorcerer analysed the situation and saw that an arcane spellcaster needed to read a certain text at the altar to open to the door. The group soon found a hidden library deep in the dungeon and the sorcerer quickly found the right book and right page. Taking the book back to the altar, he read the words of power that released the seal on the door while his party members stood close by, weapons drawn. The door opened to reveal a circular room that stretched up like a tower, with daylight filtering down from the very top. In the centre of the room was a small, circular recess that had the same markings on as the amulet they were repairing. Now just one piece remained to activate this tower’s function and discover the purpose of this dungeon. But no other piece could be found; all chambers appeared to be fully and all secrets uncovered.

But with a brilliant piece of insight, the sorcerer was drawn to room they had previously cleared of giant mosquitoes and had set fire their nest before quickly leaving. Returning to the soot-covered room, they found that beneath the charred remains of the hive was a trapdoor, which lead to a deeper part of the dungeon to an old forgotten crypt. The final piece of the amulet was found buried with an unknown skeleton in an unknown crypt, the markings around the rim of the sarcophagus proved to be indecipherable.

The party then returned to the tower room and fitted the amulet in the recess. It pulled further in and rotated slightly with a mechanical clicking sound. All around was the sound of the scraping of stone on stone, the sound of great cogs and machines turning and moving. Soon after, gold began to rain down the tower from small outlets all around the top. Many thousands of gold pieces piled up at the bottom of the tower. Contented, the party gathered them up and headed for the exit. But there was another sound. A low grunting, heavy breathing and footsteps like those of a gigantic horse. The sound came from all around the chamber; the party drew their weapons and wheeled around in search for the source of this sound, drawing nearer and nearer.

At last, the stomping reached fever pitch and the wall behind the warrior exploded in a shower of dust and debris. There stood a colossal Minotaur, greataxe in hand, eyes burning with fire of Hades, teeth barred and horns razor sharp and as long as your arm. It took to the warrior, swinging with its greataxe and lashing with its horns to throw him off balance. The warrior stood little chance, he used his shield to bat aside some of the weaker blows but was taking strong hits left, right and centre. The rest of the party tried everything they could to distract the Minotaur, but he still remained single minded in the destruction of the poor fighter. The priest tried his best to close the warrior’s wounds during the fight, but the Minotaur opened new ones faster than he could fix. The warrior grew tired, unable to defend himself more and more by the minute. The Minotaur seized the opportunity to knock his shield and waraxe from his hands and with proud grunted-laugh, swung his greataxe in a fell arc that cleft the warrior’s head from his shoulders.

The party cried out in despair, half from the loss of their comrade and also of the fate, which faced them now their first line of defence, was broken. Thinking fast, the priest threw a smokestick to the ground, filling the room with a thick fog, impenetrable to ordinary vision. They fled back to the dwarves, throwing more smoke bombs as they ran and closing doors behind them to slow the abomination down. They got the silver idol from the dwarves and ran to the energy gate, the sound of the Minotaur’s cursing echoing throughout the halls. They got through and readied to close the gate upon the wounded creature in order to finish it off.
Minutes passed, the stomping became silent, and the Minotaur seemed to have gotten lost. The Halfling took his hand from the lever to wipe the sweat from his brow and turned to his comrades to discuss their escape.
Just then, the Minotaur broke through the wall to the room and made a charge for the energy gate, the Halfling rushed back to the lever, diving to close it in time. The Minotaur put his foot through the threshold of the gate; another split second and he would be through….

Clunk…. The lever was pulled down. The energy gate was reactivated. A plane of energy tore through the Minotaur, it cried out desperately in pain but was cut off as it was severed in two by the force of the gate closing. The creature’s crimson blood saturated the faces of the party, who blinked, amazed at their success. They cheered the defeat of the Minotaur but held a moment of silence to honour the death of their companion. They solemnly walked from the dungeon carrying the body of the brave fighter on a stretcher so they may reconcile their losses and embark on another new and exciting adventure.

Archonic Energy
2007-07-16, 09:26 AM
Only an aggressive tosser looking for a fight with anyone he could find.

I hear Charity gets moody if he doesn't get his sleep :smalltongue:

Thank you DD for that enthraing re-enactment of our dungeon crawl.
and again my thanks for running it.

The_Librarian
2007-07-16, 09:51 AM

He explained he owned a house in the countryside where he had lived alone peacefully for many years. But a short while ago, a group of kobolds had moved in and claimed the house for their own, pushing the beggar out and forcing him to rely on the goodwill of strangers. He offered to pay the adventurers handsomely if they cleared the creatures from the house and make sure no others would ever threaten his home again.
Thrifty as always, the dwarven warrior jumped to the opportunity to negotiate expenses, transport and rewards, baffling the poor man into submission. He claimed he knew nothing of the city-folk’s economics and told them his house was a ten-minute walk from the inn.

Watching that was brilliant, particularly poor AE's initiative rolls, and the alternate theory of the beggar:

He just plain didn't like the kobolds living in that house and sent adventurers up there every now and then for his own amusement.

Charity
2007-07-16, 10:03 AM
I can confirm that despite being reasonably close, I will not be turning up to any of these in the future, ever. Sorry guys. Your attempts to lure me out of hiding will never work. :smallredface: Glad to hear it went well though, gives you slightly more chance of changing my mind someday in the future.

(Someone asked me why I didn't come. Thought I'd taunt you all maniacally).

Hey Saithis
http://www.blueoceantackle.com/TOP_GUN_LURES.jpg
Hey look at the shinieshttp://media.strategywiki.org/images/4/4c/Pokeball.png
Gotcha

Archonic Energy
2007-07-16, 10:19 AM
Watching that was brilliant, particularly poor AE's initiative rolls, and the alternate theory of the beggar:

He just plain didn't like the kobolds living in that house and sent adventurers up there every now and then for his own amusement.

it was a real shame you had to leave so early.

and i swear that that D20 was rigged or something...

Charity
2007-07-16, 10:35 AM
it was a real shame you had to leave so early.

and i swear that that D20 was rigged or something...

*Whistles and hand Libris a manilla envelope*

Tom_Violence
2007-07-16, 11:33 AM
I would've gone if I had been reliably informed that it was going to turn into The Night Of The Living Dead Haircuts.

LCR
2007-07-16, 11:38 AM
I assume, by "the game" Castaras does not mean football ...?

Castaras
2007-07-16, 11:39 AM
I assume, by "the game" Castaras does not mean football ...?

Nope, I don't.

For those who do not know of The Game I'm talking about, Take a look here. (http://www.losethegame.com/)

LCR
2007-07-16, 11:42 AM
Phew, that's too complicated for me ...

Dragor
2007-07-16, 11:51 AM
Glad to know you chaps/chapettes had a good time. Hopefully I'll be able to join y'all next time.

Oooh, and I noticed you were playing D&D with Miniatures. I may have been a bit out of my depth there. :smallwink: I don't play with miniatures.

zombie chick
2007-07-16, 12:32 PM

The group met in a tavern, and whilst discussing their previous adventures and expeditions over a tankard of hearty ale, a beggar wearing tattered royal clothing approached them. He appeared to have lost a lot of wealth very quickly, somewhat down on his luck. He jangled a metal tin at the loyal servant of Pelor, Hermocraties. The generous soul paid him a single gold piece without hesitation. The beggar thanked the priest for his charity and offered to tell his story to the itchy-footed adventurers who were currently between expeditions. He explained he owned a house in the countryside where he had lived alone peacefully for many years. But a short while ago, a group of kobolds had moved in and claimed the house for their own, pushing the beggar out and forcing him to rely on the goodwill of strangers. He offered to pay the adventurers handsomely if they cleared the creatures from the house and make sure no others would ever threaten his home again.

So they set off on their great adventure and soon arrived at the cottage. They spotted one of the reptilian, yapping creatures standing guard at the front door, armed with a ferocious-looking pointed stick. While the warrior drew his shortbow, loading and aiming to take the creature out silently with a well-positioned arrow, the priest nonchalantly brandished his holy symbol and set about torturing the creature’s mind. It folded almost instantaneously and so it fled the scene, yelling and screaming. Hearing the demented cries of their friend, the remaining kobolds burst out the door, around ten in number, to encircle the adventurers. The warrior charged forward with his waraxe, cutting down a handful in a few seconds. The rogue drew his sling and took out a one or two from a distance with some well-aimed stones. The cleric waded in with his mace, impaling the creatures at the temples and smashing their skulls against the flagstones. But the kobolds fought back, ganging up on the warrior and one got a lucky strike, stabbing deeply into his unprotected underarm. But then, from back down the road, two orbs of arcane power burst forth and collided with the creatures with unerring accuracy, shattering their frail bodies. A moment later, the sorcerer let forth a wave of invisible energy, striking the creatures and rendering many unconscious. The rest were mopped up or finished off easily.

The team entered the house to find most of the wealth of the beggar had been transferred to the kobolds pockets. However, a large copper key was found that was too big for the front door. Its markings indicated a more ancient and mystic purpose. Upon leaving the abode the rogue spotted two armed goblins talking in the ruins of a tower in one of the fields behind the cottage. Looking at his allies and pressing a finger to his lips, he darted around the side of the house and picked his way towards his targets by slipping between shrubs and trees, drawing ever closer. He hid behind a pile of rubble by the ruin and listened into the conversation in goblin, a tongue in which he was familiar. With his keen senses, he determined that these goblins were hiding something down in the ruins of this tower and they had reached a dead end. The Halfling readied his sling and projected a stone into the back of one of the goblin’s skull. The creature’s eyes crossed, and he fell down to his knees and then onto his chin. His friend looked around desperately, but the rogue remained safely hidden behind the mound. Back at the cottage, the warrior, not wanting to miss out on any killing, took the others and charged to the ruins, issuing battle cries as they ran. The rogue, seizing this distraction, sneaked behind the remaining goblin and made short work of him with his dagger. Dismayed, the warrior decapitated the goblin anyway.

Using the information the Halfling had gleaned from the conversation, they took the larger band of goblins that dwelled beneath the ruins via a concealed staircase by surprise. It appeared they got stuck when faced with a large stone door that they had tried and failed to hack down with their morningstars. The rogue used the copper key from the house on the door and with a soft click, the door swung open, revealing a humble entryway with a number of doors to investigate. In search of what the goblins were looking for, the party penetrated deep into the dungeon, slaying further bands of kobolds and goblins that had gotten lost within its halls. On one of which, they found a piece of a shattered amulet, although broken, it looked important, so they stowed it away in case it was needed later.
Soon after, they discovered a secret passageway with a spiked pit trap on the corridor. Not wanting to risk the jump, the rogue found a concealed switch near the pit and found a sliding mechanism that closed it up. Progressing deeper, they found a room with piles of skeletons. Fearing reanimation from dark energies, the warrior used a rope to grab one of them out of the room without entering it, and pulled it all the way to the pit, which they threw it down, throwing down a lamp oil bomb for good measure. Delighted at their achievement, the adventurers attempted the stunt once more but found that the skeletons didn’t appreciate the effort they went to and all now crowded the door, armed with rusty scimitars. Gulping, the party smashed them to pieces, but not without sustaining some nasty wounds from their weapons. After the battle, they went into the room and saw that it was connected to another but sealed with a heavy iron portcullis. Inside the room, they could see it contained a large treasure chest and an enormous inanimate skeleton that looked around twice the height of the party members (except the Halfling). Although there was a crank to open the portcullis, the party decided to make camp and rest to recover their magical energies and tend to their wounds. Meanwhile, the warrior industriously crafted a means of squirting lamp oil at the skeleton at a distance by filling a dead goblin’s stomach with the flammable substance.
When the rest of the party were well rested, the warrior squirted the skeleton with the oil and took a torch from their adventuring pack, lit it and flung it at the skeleton, not before covering their ears and closing their eyes, preparing for what would be a large bang. But no such explosion was detected; they opened their eyes to see the skeleton, drenched in lamp oil, holding the burning torch. Throwing the torch down, the skeleton grabbed the portcullis with its huge claws and wrenched it out of the wall and flung it at the warrior. The warrior then deflected the blows of the skeleton whilst being pinned by the gate while his friends desperately tried to pull the skeleton off him. A well timed bolt of force from the sorcerer allowed the warrior to squeeze free and run out of the room and down the corridor, calling to the Halfling to activate the trap as the undead creature moved across it. The skeleton dogged the heels of the warrior as he ran for safety and was luckily just fast enough to get across in time. The rogue pulled the switch, sending the bewildered creature clattering down the pit. The warrior then handed out his homebrewed Molotov cocktails to his friends who all sent them flying down the pit, exploding on the skeleton as it feebly clawed at the walls, fruitlessly trying to climb back up with its charred bones. The rogue closed the pit, leaving the skeleton alone with its thoughts. And LOTS of fire.

In the chest where the skeleton originally lay was another piece of the amulet. Two other pieces remained and so they progressed deeper in the dungeon in search of this treasure. The party eventually came to a gate composed purely of blue, glowing energy that blocked their way. They tested the gate by throwing a goblin into it, which burst into blue fire and was incinerated in seconds. Not wanting to meet a similar fate, the group took note of the gate’s location and took a different route. Soon after, they came across a forge, run by a couple of married dwarves. They asked the adventurers to find the silver idol that would lower the energy gate that leads to their home, they offered any treasure they could lay their hands on within the house as long as they returned the idol. Sceptical, the party asked if they knew of the amulet whose pieces they were collection and they said that they owned a piece, too and that the adventurers could take it if they so wished. The dwarves handed a set of keys to get them deeper in the dungeon. Sure enough, they found the idol in a bookshelf in a library, protected by three orcs. They put the idol in a small recess in an altar beside the energy gate and it was rendered safe. They went through and found a switch on the other side of the gate that could reactivate it. Taking a look inside the dwaves’ home, they found another piece of the amulet the dwarves promised.

Progressing further through the dungeon, they found a room with a stone door and altar that seemed to hold a book of some sort. The sorcerer analysed the situation and saw that an arcane spellcaster needed to read a certain text at the altar to open to the door. The group soon found a hidden library deep in the dungeon and the sorcerer quickly found the right book and right page. Taking the book back to the altar, he read the words of power that released the seal on the door while his party members stood close by, weapons drawn. The door opened to reveal a circular room that stretched up like a tower, with daylight filtering down from the very top. In the centre of the room was a small, circular recess that had the same markings on as the amulet they were repairing. Now just one piece remained to activate this tower’s function and discover the purpose of this dungeon. But no other piece could be found; all chambers appeared to be fully and all secrets uncovered.

But with a brilliant piece of insight, the sorcerer was drawn to room they had previously cleared of giant mosquitoes and had set fire their nest before quickly leaving. Returning to the soot-covered room, they found that beneath the charred remains of the hive was a trapdoor, which lead to a deeper part of the dungeon to an old forgotten crypt. The final piece of the amulet was found buried with an unknown skeleton in an unknown crypt, the markings around the rim of the sarcophagus proved to be indecipherable.

The party then returned to the tower room and fitted the amulet in the recess. It pulled further in and rotated slightly with a mechanical clicking sound. All around was the sound of the scraping of stone on stone, the sound of great cogs and machines turning and moving. Soon after, gold began to rain down the tower from small outlets all around the top. Many thousands of gold pieces piled up at the bottom of the tower. Contented, the party gathered them up and headed for the exit. But there was another sound. A low grunting, heavy breathing and footsteps like those of a gigantic horse. The sound came from all around the chamber; the party drew their weapons and wheeled around in search for the source of this sound, drawing nearer and nearer.

At last, the stomping reached fever pitch and the wall behind the warrior exploded in a shower of dust and debris. There stood a colossal Minotaur, greataxe in hand, eyes burning with fire of Hades, teeth barred and horns razor sharp and as long as your arm. It took to the warrior, swinging with its greataxe and lashing with its horns to throw him off balance. The warrior stood little chance, he used his shield to bat aside some of the weaker blows but was taking strong hits left, right and centre. The rest of the party tried everything they could to distract the Minotaur, but he still remained single minded in the destruction of the poor fighter. The priest tried his best to close the warrior’s wounds during the fight, but the Minotaur opened new ones faster than he could fix. The warrior grew tired, unable to defend himself more and more by the minute. The Minotaur seized the opportunity to knock his shield and waraxe from his hands and with proud grunted-laugh, swung his greataxe in a fell arc that cleft the warrior’s head from his shoulders.

The party cried out in despair, half from the loss of their comrade and also of the fate, which faced them now their first line of defence, was broken. Thinking fast, the priest threw a smokestick to the ground, filling the room with a thick fog, impenetrable to ordinary vision. They fled back to the dwarves, throwing more smoke bombs as they ran and closing doors behind them to slow the abomination down. They got the silver idol from the dwarves and ran to the energy gate, the sound of the Minotaur’s cursing echoing throughout the halls. They got through and readied to close the gate upon the wounded creature in order to finish it off.
Minutes passed, the stomping became silent, and the Minotaur seemed to have gotten lost. The Halfling took his hand from the lever to wipe the sweat from his brow and turned to his comrades to discuss their escape.
Just then, the Minotaur broke through the wall to the room and made a charge for the energy gate, the Halfling rushed back to the lever, diving to close it in time. The Minotaur put his foot through the threshold of the gate; another split second and he would be through….

Clunk…. The lever was pulled down. The energy gate was reactivated. A plane of energy tore through the Minotaur, it cried out desperately in pain but was cut off as it was severed in two by the force of the gate closing. The creature’s crimson blood saturated the faces of the party, who blinked, amazed at their success. They cheered the defeat of the Minotaur but held a moment of silence to honour the death of their companion. They solemnly walked from the dungeon carrying the body of the brave fighter on a stretcher so they may reconcile their losses and embark on another new and exciting adventure.

that sounds like a good rpg, i wil have to get in on some of that action next time. well being killed by a minotaur is the way i want to go too, nothing wrong with that kind of ending for a respectable hero:smallwink:

BrokenButterfly
2007-07-16, 03:55 PM
Nope, I don't.

For those who do not know of The Game I'm talking about, Take a look here. (http://www.losethegame.com/)

Grrr...I lost The Game many times looking at that site...curse ye Castaras, especially the little flag on your avatar. That made me lose a few times too...

Although I totally agree, it was fun being in the company of people who understand that weirdness, along with OotS quotes. Makes a change from the sort of friends who look extremely bewildered if you quote "All your base..." or say "pwn".

Last_resort_33
2007-07-17, 06:55 AM
Glad to know you chaps/chapettes had a good time. Hopefully I'll be able to join y'all next time.

Oooh, and I noticed you were playing D&D with Miniatures. I may have been a bit out of my depth there. :smallwink: I don't play with miniatures.

Not really, it makes things easier in many respects. It would have been great to see you. I hope to see you next summer/Xmas.

I quite like it that it seems to have been taken as read that there will be another one... it gives me a warm glow inside.... no - wait, that's heartburn...

The Prince of Cats
2007-07-17, 08:16 AM
I am kind of gutted that I missed it, but I spent that particular day running from bed to privy and back again, so I would not have made it no matter my plans...

Well, there is always (possibly) next time. Will there be space for an arrogant bastard with an ego bigger than his own car?

Charity
2007-07-17, 08:21 AM
Looks like the next meet will be in Tillamook (http://www.tillamookair.com/assets/images/BlimpsHangar2.jpg)

Archonic Energy
2007-07-17, 10:18 AM
no it'll be in the basement of forbidden planet, london.

Death, your friend the Reaper
2007-07-17, 10:39 AM
The UK has had the largest meetup up yet.

Of course there WILL be a response (maybe)

Obviously you didn't hear about the Australian meetup!

http://faculty.fuqua.duke.edu/~willm/graphics/kangaroos.jpg
I took the photo of my mates here, I'm off camera.
Yup it was a fun day.

...Ok, so maybe I just get lonely over here in Australia, curse you and your tiny sized country of England!

Charity
2007-07-17, 10:57 AM
I think I saw the pics
http://www.rsdean.com/blog/pano_small.jpg
Wheres wallaby?

Totally Guy
2007-07-17, 12:08 PM
Yay, the meetup was fun. I can't think of the last time I've been to a party and wanted it to last longer after being there for thirteen hours!

I had cut out of my avatar that went into and out of my "manbag" a lot of times.

Oh, I've been trying to create a mini dungeon campaign to play with my brothers, I've been using sodipodi and my own art skills to throw everything together. It should be good as I have a grid and all the furniture pieces to make a dungeon and I can make up some adventurers and actually play the game in the art program.

The_Librarian
2007-07-17, 03:27 PM
*Whistles and hand Libris a manilla envelope*

I swear I only touched the dice once to pass it to someone.

Although, I admit, it was frickin' hilarious.

I'm really glad I didn't end up in the hotel with you guys though. I have this thing about fire bells... they terrify me more than fire does.

I've realised I have a stupid amount of book vouchers saved up for HP so I'm thinking of searching for either D'n'D stuff or Munchkin stuff. You guys have converted me.

Castaras
2007-07-17, 04:18 PM
You guys have converted me.

Hooray! Another one joins the religon of the gaming geeks! Sneaky Bastard Swords and Boots of Butt-Kicking for everyone! :smallbiggrin:

Jontom Xire
2007-07-18, 05:14 AM
that sounds like a good rpg, i wil have to get in on some of that action next time. well being killed by a minotaur is the way i want to go too, nothing wrong with that kind of ending for a respectable hero:smallwink:

It was a great game. I PMed Dark Dork to see if he'd run a game on the OOTS forums, but have had no response yet. I hope he says yes.

Archonic Energy
2007-07-18, 07:11 AM
Although, I admit, it was frickin' hilarious.

i doupt the sorceror would agree... though the player also laughed when kolbolds had better reactions than a PC

Ikkitosen
2007-07-19, 02:15 AM
http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d135/Ikkitosen/?action=view&current=DSC02910.jpg
The group! Remarkably similar to some other pics you may have seen.
http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d135/Ikkitosen/?action=view&current=DSC02909.jpg
How Serene.
http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d135/Ikkitosen/?action=view&current=DSC02908.jpg
Dark Dork, Dim Dork, D&D.
http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d135/Ikkitosen/?action=view&current=DSC02907.jpg
Jontom Xire, Dim Dork, Glug and AE, D&D.
http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d135/Ikkitosen/?action=view&current=DSC02906.jpg
Our gracious host, LR33. Plus ZombieChick and (just about) Castaras.

Anyone know why those are links and not images? I used around the links.

Khantalas
2007-07-19, 03:20 PM
Anyone know why those are links and not images? I used around the links.

Very simple reason. You gave the URL of the page where you view the image, not of the image itself. To give the right URL, use Copy Image Address or whatever you have on the OS and browser you use.

Ikkitosen
2007-07-19, 03:59 PM
Ta :smallsmile: Maybe I'll fix it...later :smallbiggrin:

Krade
2007-07-19, 08:06 PM
I have a question:

At the meetup, did you all address eachother by your screen names or your real names?

Last_resort_33
2007-07-20, 02:14 AM
I have a question:

At the meetup, did you all address eachother by your screen names or your real names?

Whatever we could remember. I mostly used screen names. In fact, I can only actually remember the names of the people that stayed over at my house.:smallredface:

Ikkitosen
2007-07-20, 02:48 AM
I used real names, or made up names based on whatever game we were playing (for a while ZombieChick was "submarine girl", since she used one to devastating effect in a game of Nuclear War), but I made sure I could associate each person with their forum name too. I learned a lot of people's names, so by the end most people had their real ones back.

Archonic Energy
2007-07-20, 03:01 AM
strangly enough people kept refering to me as Archonic Energy, Archonic, or in some cases AE.

i wonder why they found it so hard to remember my real name... :smallwink:

Ikkitosen
2007-07-20, 03:14 AM
I know Dave, I know :smallbiggrin:

Charity
2007-07-20, 03:30 AM
I know Dave, I know :smallbiggrin:

Hey don't upset Bruce!

I got my game tonight but I will one day get round to posting the three pics I managed to take before the battery died...
Honest.

DarkLightDragon
2007-07-20, 04:57 AM
That looks fun...

...We Aussies should do something like this, preferably in an area I can get to. :smallwink:

Surfer99
2007-07-20, 06:35 AM
strangly enough people kept refering to me as Archonic Energy, Archonic, or in some cases AE.

i wonder why they found it so hard to remember my real name... :smallwink:

Pft AE is your real name....

Dragor
2007-07-20, 08:16 AM
Not really, it makes things easier in many respects. It would have been great to see you. I hope to see you next summer/Xmas.

I quite like it that it seems to have been taken as read that there will be another one... it gives me a warm glow inside.... no - wait, that's heartburn...

Heh heh. Xmas is a no-go really for me, family values and all that jazz.

Next Summer? Most probably, if you catch me after the 22nd of July (I'm 16 Mum, I can do whatever the hell I like.... even catch a train to Leeds!)

Castaras
2007-07-20, 08:24 AM
I have a question:

Screen names, when I could remember them.

I am so crap at remembering names of any kind...:smallredface:

Although I can remember a few...not many though...

Archonic Energy
2007-07-20, 08:45 AM
Heh heh. Xmas is a no-go really for me, family values and all that jazz.

i doupt he wants to meet on christmas day!

i'm sure November/December should be fine

BrokenButterfly
2007-07-20, 07:02 PM
I was happy using people's actual names at the meetup, but I managed to avoid that pitfall in certain cases by not using any name...I remembered most people's real names, or at least screen names, but not all of them. Actually I keep almost slipping in people's names when I post now, which isn't a good thing...

Being in the minority of two that our gracious host deemed our real names as memorable is a tad odd though. Is there something so weird about my name that it sticks in the mind or something? :smalltongue:

zombie chick
2007-07-21, 01:44 PM
i think a mixture of screen and actual names were used.
for some reason it make the nuclear game harder when i could only remember two peoples names to write down to attack.
sorry broken butterfly but you were one of them:smallbiggrin:
was a little embarrassing when you had to ask someones name, made it a little obvious that you were planing to nuke them into oblivion:smallredface:

KuReshtin
2007-07-22, 01:29 PM
Is there something so weird about my name that it sticks in the mind or something? :smalltongue:

Ours was the only name that was a duplicate. There were two of us, possibly making it easier to remember.:) Also, our name is a major religion, so I guess it could be a reason why.:smallsmile:

Archonic Energy
2007-07-22, 04:42 PM
Ours was the only name that was a duplicate. There were two of us, possibly making it easier to remember.:) Also, our name is a major religion, so I guess it could be a reason why.:smallsmile:

your name is Voodoo? :smallwink:

Ikkitosen
2007-07-22, 04:57 PM
No, Jedi :smallcool:

Castaras
2007-07-23, 02:21 AM
Cult of Cthulu?
Pastafarian?

:smallbiggrin:

KuReshtin
2007-07-23, 05:44 AM
Pastafarianism FTW!!

BrokenButterfly
2007-08-02, 03:07 PM
Well, thanks to this meetup I now own my own copy of Munchkin Bites! And I'm also going to be providing one of the many copies of the OotS boardgame that will no doubt turn up at our next gathering, after the hilarious misunderstandings of this one. :smallamused:

KuReshtin
2007-08-03, 01:52 AM
Due to the very well run games of Serenity by Adlan, I'll be introducing it to the role playing group I'm in to see how they like it.

That also reminds me. I need to find that USB cable to upload the pics I took.

Ikkitosen
2007-08-03, 03:50 AM
The Meetup rekindled my desire to play D6 Star Wars because it is MADE OF AWESOME, so maybe I'll run that for the next time we all meet up. Shame I lent my books to a "mate" about 10 years ago :(((

Archonic Energy
2007-08-03, 04:05 AM
when? (Date.)
where? (General Location.)
i'll start saving now!

as much as it pains me to say this i think London may be too far south...

anyone here from Birmingham? Northamton? Oxford? Cambridge? Newport? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newport%2C_Isle_of_Wight)

Exachix
2007-08-03, 04:12 AM
Which Newport? =P.

I don't think London is a good idea: Too much of a chance to get lost =P.

Archonic Energy
2007-08-03, 04:18 AM
Which Newport? =P.

I don't think London is a good idea: Too much of a chance to get lost =P.

just after i posted that joke i realised that there are 10 bloody newports in the UK... 10!

you can't get lost in london... only misplaced.

Edit: Wales has 2 & Scotland has 1 too!

Ikkitosen
2007-08-03, 04:31 AM
I'm from Birmingham. Don't live there now but know it enough to organise something. I'm back there reasonably frequently anyhow :smallsmile:

Archonic Energy
2007-08-03, 04:41 AM
I'm from Birmingham. Don't live there now but know it enough to organise something. I'm back there reasonably frequently anyhow :smallsmile:

know any good Pu... i meen function rooms? :smallwink:

accomidation?

*off to check the price of a weekend return*

Ikkitosen
2007-08-03, 05:11 AM
know any good Pu... i meen function rooms? :smallwink:

accomidation?

*off to check the price of a weekend return*

I know loads of good pubs, and I'm sure a couple of them will have function rooms (in fact one springs to mind!). The one I'm thinking of is in the middle of Brum so take your pic of hotels - I've never stayed at a hotel in Brum so couldn't help there but I know there are LOTS.

Plus I'd be driving up from the South, so can give lifts in the Ikkimobile.

Castaras
2007-08-03, 05:34 AM
anyone here from Birmingham? Northamton? Oxford? Cambridge? Newport? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newport%2C_Isle_of_Wight)

Yup. A cambridgeshire village is where Lensman and I come from.

Ikkitosen
2007-08-03, 05:59 AM
Cool - you guys can organise instead :smalltongue:

Are those lightsabre-wielding mince pies in your avi btw?

Castaras
2007-08-03, 06:18 AM
Heh, wouldn't be up to me. You'll have to pester Lensman instead. :smallcool:

And they're meant to be pies wielding a random weapon. Probably lightsabers, maybe a different sword thing.

Ikkitosen
2007-08-03, 07:33 AM
Hrm, is there a general desire to meet up again soon? I recall the last one being organised way in advance so maybe we should all declare interest now.

So, for a meeting in the general are of the triangle formed by Oxford, Cambridge and Birmingham (specific much there Archie? :smalltongue:), who's up for and when?

For example, state yes/no based on a meeting in Sept., Oct., Nov. or Dec. and we'll sort by most people.

Ikki: All are ok with me depending on the specific weekend. I travel around quite a lot anyway so don't have to make a big deal out of it (i.e. booking trains and such).

Archonic Energy
2007-08-03, 07:40 AM
Hrm, is there a general desire to meet up again soon? I recall the last one being organised way in advance so maybe we should all declare interest now.

So, for a meeting in the general are of the triangle formed by Oxford, Cambridge and Birmingham (specific much there Archie? :smalltongue:), who's up for and when?

For example, state yes/no based on a meeting in Sept., Oct., Nov. or Dec. and we'll sort by most people.

Ikki: All are ok with me depending on the specific weekend. I travel around quite a lot anyway so don't have to make a big deal out of it (i.e. booking trains and such).

hey i was happy to suggest London as the next venue but...

yes: all
though December may be pushing it... i may be busy on the 25th :smalltongue:

Totally Guy
2007-08-03, 07:42 AM
I'd be interested in another meetup.

I still have friends or family both in Birmingham and scattered across Cambridgshire.

Exachix
2007-08-03, 07:56 AM
Oct. No. We go on holiday then.

NOT christmas day or after that. We have thinks happening then usually.

I'd try and be at another meetup =D

Last_resort_33
2007-08-03, 10:54 AM
Early Dec sounds good to me, we can call it a GITP Xmas party.

London might price me out of the market. Brummie sounds good to me. might need to hire a minivan to get all the Leeds guys down, but that's alright...

Castaras
2007-08-03, 11:36 AM
Any week that isn't from the...9th to the 15th...That'll be my last rehearsals and performance dates...

Early December sounds good. I'll pester Lensman about it and see what he says.

bosssmiley
2007-08-03, 01:48 PM
hey i was happy to suggest London as the next venue but...

yes: all
though December may be pushing it... i may be busy on the 25th :smalltongue:

We should do what that Carling Weekend music festival does and have two venues for the next scheduled meet-up: one in the south of the country, the other in the north. Would make travel easier for one thing. I mean, put yourself in the position of some poor benighted Hamish or Taffy trying to get to London for some gaming :smalleek: ).

If splitting the country in two was good enough for the Romans, the medieval church, the Anglo-Saxons and Vikings, the kings of England and Durham, the Cavalier and Roundheads, blah, blah, blah, then it's good enough for us Playgrounders.

"Greetings! unto our soft, shandy-sipping southern brethren from the Playgrounders of the episcopate of North Burlewnia." :smallbiggrin:

Archonic Energy
2007-08-03, 03:13 PM
"Greetings! unto our soft, shandy-sipping southern brethren from the Playgrounders of the episcopate of North Burlewnia." :smallbiggrin:

"Greetings! unto our Cold, Brown ale swilling, Northen brethren from the Playgrounders of the episcopate of South Richville."

on a more serious note. at long as we keep to the midlands i'm sure comprimises can be made on both sides...

*waits for the welsh division to be offended*

Lensman
2007-08-03, 03:30 PM
Cambridge sounds good to me. Is 22nd December too close to Christmas? Probably. In which case, would 1st December sound like a good date?

I'm not in favour of going further north... I've heard everyone wears woad up there and speaks with funny accents... :smallbiggrin:

bosssmiley
2007-08-03, 03:32 PM
"Greetings! unto our Cold, Brown ale swilling, coal-digging, trubble-'t-mill-ing, Northen brethren from the Playgrounders of the episcopate of South Richville."

Added some Northern Soul for effect. Hope you don't mind.

on a more serious note. at long as we keep to the midlands i'm sure compromises can be made on both sides...

Who's Midlands though? I mean, from up here, everything south of the Humber and north of Lake Thames is the Midlands. The whole of old Mercia is still a big area to traverse. I mean, Nottingham's the Midlands, but then so's Brummingham, or Stoke. :smalleek:

I know someone (*checks*) sorry, Ikkitosen mentioned a secret location in the Oxbridge-Brum triangle as a possible venue. That's a heck of hike from here in the frozen North; but if it's somewhere along main north-south links that might be no prob...

(trying to be serious, it don't come easy...)

*waits for the welsh division to be offended*

They're Celts; they live in a constant state of low-grade umbridge (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/archers/). Something to do with Mount Badon or some such... :smallwink:

BrokenButterfly
2007-08-03, 04:39 PM
As far as I'm aware I've got no real commitments that prevent me attending the next meetup if it occurs during the Oct/Dec period. I've got no real problems with location either, since my knowledge of this country is horrificly sub-par. I figure that I'll find a way to wherever it's going to be. I'm going to be pulling out all the stops to try and get to the next one too, since I had a real blast in Leeds.

Ikkitosen
2007-08-03, 06:14 PM
Cambridge sounds good to me. Is 22nd December too close to Christmas? Probably. In which case, would 1st December sound like a good date?

I'm not in favour of going further north... I've heard everyone wears woad up there and speaks with funny accents... :smallbiggrin:

I was thinking 1st or 8th of December. Cambridge is fine with me if you're happy playing organiser :smallsmile:

KuReshtin
2007-08-03, 06:26 PM
I would definitely try to get to another meetup closer to Christmas, however I wouldn't be able to attend anything after the 15th od December as I'll be heading to the cold of Sweden around that weekend.

First weekend of December might work. And I'll be driving down south if I can make it, in which case I'll most likely be able to pick someone up if needed.

September and October will be difficult, however November might work.

However, I'd prefer it to be located a bit farther north than Brummingham or Cambridge, though. Just personal preference.

Last_resort_33
2007-08-04, 04:00 AM
Cambridge and Birminham are both fine for me, I'd prefer birmingham though, but whatever

I thing that the 1st and the 8th are good days. I have a feeling that something is going down on the first, so I reckon the 8th is a good day. anyone have a problem with that?

Charity
2007-08-04, 04:25 AM
If loads of you need a brum brum to Brum I will drive ... otherwise I might blagg a lift of the mighty Ikky or vica versa...Early December will be fine I'm sure.

Lensman
2007-08-04, 04:28 AM
My preference would be the 1st, but I can bow to pressure if need be - anyone else got any feelings? (About the date, that is - I'm assuming that most of you experience emotions generally - it's only us beholders that have no emotions!)

Birmingham sounds like the general choice, and is relatively (I stress relatively) central, and has good road and rail links.

Anyone want to volunteer to organise it? I'm too far from Brum to do much.

Do we need to start a new thread for the new bash?

Last_resort_33
2007-08-04, 05:06 AM
Do we need to start a new thread for the new bash?

Ka-ching! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52714)

1st or 8th it seems. Will you do us some more star wars?