PDA

View Full Version : Meetup United Kingdom in the Playground Meetup - 14/7/07

Pages : [1] 2 3

Last_resort_33
2007-03-20, 04:58 AM
http://pedrick.franks.org.uk/GITPMeet/logo.jpg

What? AGAIN!?!?!?

After the success of the last meet, it seems that people want to meet again, I know I do.

Checklist

Date
City
Venue
List of Board Games
List of RPGs and people willing to run them
Suggested cheap Accomodation.
Beer

Death, your friend the Reaper
2007-03-20, 05:04 AM
Ah, games hey?

You could all play cricket, and stand around swinging at air.

Look on the bright side though, you won't smash anyones windows via getting a six.[/at Charity]

Charity
2007-03-20, 05:11 AM
All sounds good, thing with this sorta thing is some poor shmoe has to host tons of half mad freaks round his/her pad.
I'd happily do it but my wife would stab me... everyday for a week, and I have kids whom would be demanding my attention.

Last_resort_33
2007-03-20, 08:19 AM
All sounds good, thing with this sorta thing is some poor shmoe has to host tons of half mad freaks round his/her pad.
I'd happily do it but my wife would stab me... everyday for a week, and I have kids whom would be demanding my attention.

hmmmmmm Well I am living at my GF's parent's house... It might be possible. I'll ask the guy who's parents' house we play games at every week. Depending on the number of people, that might be possible.

Both of those would be in Leeds. Depending on wotnots, we could get a function room at a pub... Beer and food on close hand, and no need for us to tidy up afterwards.

Can I get a poll on who's interested?

The Prince of Cats
2007-03-20, 08:42 AM
I would, but we are quite a scattered group. I mean, I might live near Leeds Castle, but that still leaves me about 6 or seven hours from Leeds. It is odd, I see US social-groups travelling across three time-zones just to meet up with people they only know as a virtual image or avatar. On the other hand, I have seen UK gathers that require a journey of two counties fall apart due to the distance. (the worst example was when my uncle's family missed my wedding because they thought Hull to Kent was too far)

If we were to have a gathering, I might consider it...

anphorus
2007-03-20, 09:03 AM
I think it's because everything is always bigger in America. I live 50 miles away from my old house, and that feels like a hell of a distance, but when I went to Florida, I heard of people travelling miles just to get their weekly shop and such. America is mostly clumps of cities and towns, separated by huge swathes of wasteland (much like the highlands) whereas in most of Britain each village or town has about 10 other towns or villages within five miles.

Cobra_Ikari
2007-03-20, 11:19 AM
Oh, would that I lived in the UK...

Alarra
2007-03-20, 11:23 AM
I've noticed that trend actually. That people in the UK don't generally have forum meetups. Hell, the one UK meet-up I've ever known of, (this was for another forum) was initiated by me.

Castaras
2007-03-20, 11:31 AM
What I would wish for being a bit older...:smallfrown:

Dihan
2007-03-20, 11:45 AM
Nice idea, but I can't drive until late summer, and then I still have loads of work to do.

Exachix
2007-03-20, 12:00 PM
Can't. Can't start driving until July. And I have lots of work to get done in the meantime.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-03-20, 12:01 PM
(^ you got a thumb, lad? Hitchhike!)

Umm.....Alarra and I drove 20 hours to see some Canadians from the forums. It was worth it. 6-7 is long? Nay! Tis but a journey to the Supermarket. Go for it!

Charity
2007-03-20, 12:09 PM
What I would wish for being a bit older...:smallfrown:
How old are you then?

I have no issue driving to Leeds and I'm the southernist of the lot of you, ya big jessie's. I may even be able to pick up a couple of few on the way... Where's Archie, I bet he'd be up for it.

I can't for a while as I have a hellish stocktake to organise at work, but this will take a few weeks to organise anyhow.

http://www.adrenaline-paintball.co.uk/graphics/uk-map.gif
I live at number 5

and Leeds is only here
http://lubswww.leeds.ac.uk/lubs/uploads/pics/uk_map.gif

Castaras
2007-03-20, 12:12 PM
14. My mum and dad probably wouldn't allow it. Grumble.

Dihan
2007-03-20, 12:13 PM
Can't. Can't start driving until July. And I have lots of work to get done in the meantime.

Same... When in July?

Last_resort_33
2007-03-20, 12:16 PM
Well It can't be for a good good few weeks anyways, I am going away for easter, then I have uni finals.... mind you it would only be one evening...

Have you people never heard of coaches or trains?

Castaras
2007-03-20, 12:19 PM
Do it sometime in the school holidays. August is pretty good.

The Evil Thing
2007-03-20, 12:33 PM
I'm close-ish to 18 so it's certainly a feasible train journey. Then again, I fall under the "miscellaneous person" category so I wouldn't really add anything. :smalltongue:

Cantaras, if you're in Cambridge, it can't be more than 4 hours on the train. Very relaxing.

Castaras
2007-03-20, 12:39 PM
I'm close-ish to 18 so it's certainly a feasible train journey. Then again, I fall under the "miscellaneous person" category so I wouldn't really add anything. :smalltongue:

Cantaras, if you're in Cambridge, it can't be more than 4 hours on the train. Very relaxing.

Yes. But the problem is persuading my mum and dad to allow me.

An original miss-spelling, by the way. :smalltongue:

Cobra_Ikari
2007-03-20, 12:39 PM
I have a desire to visit the UK sometime this summer. If my potential visit happened to coincide with the meetup date, would I be invited?

Archonic Energy
2007-03-20, 03:08 PM
How old are you then?

I have no issue driving to Leeds and I'm the southernist of the lot of you, ya big jessie's. I may even be able to pick up a couple of few on the way... Where's Archie, I bet he'd be up for it.

I can't for a while as I have a hellish stocktake to organise at work, but this will take a few weeks to organise anyhow.

I live at number 5

and Leeds is only here
http://lubswww.leeds.ac.uk/lubs/uploads/pics/uk_map.gif
i'm at No. 2... i've never player a REAL game of D&D just BG, PS:T, NWN etc.
though i do have the DMG/PHB/MM/ELHB/FR:CS

when?
can i bring my Lappie?
how many days?
do i need a tent/sleeping bag?
are we in a Zombie proof area?
will i need my SA-80?

Jibar
2007-03-20, 03:12 PM

Oh sweet I'm number 1!

*Go meeee! Go meeeeee! Go meeeeee!*

Cobra_Ikari
2007-03-20, 03:15 PM
Oh yeah? Well...I'm number 19! So...ha! :P

DarkCorax
2007-03-20, 03:15 PM
Number 9, used to be no. 5 though... probably won't be able to come, but I'll see...

bosssmiley
2007-03-20, 03:21 PM
I've noticed that trend actually. That people in the UK don't generally have forum meetups. Hell, the one UK meet-up I've ever known of, (this was for another forum) was initiated by me.

Yep, that's our natural British reticence and stay-at-home nature coming through that is. Moving to another suburb, let alone another town, is a form of emigration.* Gaming - as with all such proclivities - should be kept behind closed doors and not talked about in front of children and/or outsiders. And the pub is for drinking in. You think I'm kidding? Then you're obviously foreign! All the Brits are nodding along in agreement right now. :smallwink:

You know what Stanley really said to Livingston upon meeting him in darkest Africa?
"Alrite?"
Livingston's response? A nod, a grunt and the famous response:
"Your shout."

That's us in a nutshell.

* Personally I think of Sunderland as a fair hike, Carlisle as a godforsaken backwater cut off from civilisation (which it is!), and anywhere south of York as dangerously soft, southern and frenchified. North of me? Nothing but utter desolation and howling tribes of madmen all the way to the pole!

DarkCorax
2007-03-20, 03:24 PM
North of me? Nothing but utter desolation and howling tribes of madmen all the way to the pole!

...Yeah, that seems to pretty much fit here, there seem to be more chavs or football hooligans up here than down on the south coast... Scotland also seems to have a very large persentage of Goths...

Jibar
2007-03-20, 03:26 PM
Thing is, in America, you got as lot of room.
Your countries bigger than a couple 100 of ours.
You lot grew up thinking "Oh right. This aint all that big."
To us, switching county is considered long distance. To you, switching state can be short.
You came over here, chances are you'd freak out and get claustrophobic.
"I started at John O'Groats and I'm already WHERE!? Hey can I be at Land's End!? AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!"

potatocubed
2007-03-20, 03:27 PM
I'm at approximately 13, in Swindon. Yes, I know my profile says London - I couldn't be bothered to update it.

Anyway, I'm always up for meeting random people off the internet, and any excuse to leave this terrible place for a bit would be just peachy.

...Yeah, that seems to pretty much fit here, there seem to be more chavs or football hooligans up here than down on the south coast... Scotland also seems to have a very large persentage of Goths...

It's true. I used to live in Aberdeen, and I noticed a great many goths and a whole bunch of chavs. Also, alcoholics.

Cobra_Ikari
2007-03-20, 03:28 PM
Thing is, in America, you got as lot of room.
Your countries bigger than a couple 100 of ours.
You lot grew up thinking "Oh right. This aint all that big."
To us, switching county is considered long distance. To you, switching state can be short.
You came over here, chances are you'd freak out and get claustrophobic.
"I started at John O'Groats and I'm already WHERE!? Hey can I be at Land's End!? AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!"

Ah. So you would consider a 3 hour drive to see my girlfriend...what?

bosssmiley
2007-03-20, 03:40 PM
Ah. So you would consider a 3 hour drive to see my girlfriend...what?

We call that a holiday drive! I'm not kidding either. In the UK if you drive more than three hours you are either a company rep., a trucker, at a track day, on holiday, or you are in London (the last being your own silly fault). :smallsmile:

What was the old saw about the difference between Brit and American measurements? Something like: "Brits consider 50 miles a long distance. Americans consider 50 years a long time."

PS: Jibar, your icon is still female. Is there something you'd like to share?

Cobra_Ikari
2007-03-20, 03:45 PM
Huh. I was driving 3 hours to see her, 3 hours back...at least once a week. I must've had a lot of holidays.

Jibar
2007-03-20, 03:46 PM
We call that a holiday drive! I'm not kidding either. In the UK if you drive more than three hours you are either a company rep., a trucker, at a track day, on holiday, or you are in London (the last being your own silly fault). :smallsmile:

What was the old saw about the difference between Brit and American measurements? Something like: "Brits consider 50 miles a long distance. Americans consider 50 years a long time."

PS: Jibar, your icon is still female. Is there something you'd like to share?

He's right. I think I always consider a 45 minute drive into Norwich a long time.

Also, I am confident in my sexuality, and have been scientifically proven not to be a man. Thus, I stick with female. Blame my friends. They demasculined me.
Either them or Moulin rouge.

DarkCorax
2007-03-20, 03:48 PM
Heh, I've driven Glasgow-Near Brighton in 10 hours, so you are about 1/3 of inhabited :tongue: Britain..

Captain van der Decken
2007-03-20, 03:49 PM
Half an hour is a long drive.

Thus, I stick with female. Blame my friends. They demasculined me.

While declaring you a pimp?

Cobra_Ikari
2007-03-20, 03:50 PM
Heh, I've driven Glasgow-Near Brighton in 10 hours, so you are about 1/3 of inhabited :tongue: Britain..

See, a 10 hour drive is halfway into Florida from middle Georgia. Or...upper NC.

That's my mom driving. Me...10-12 hours'd get me to about the DC area.

Totally Guy
2007-03-20, 03:58 PM
I'm based in Birmingham right now, in the summer I'm moving to Leeds.

The places I've lived in the last 2 years...

Peterborough, Cambs
Brighton, Sussex
Telford, Shropshire
Birmingham, West mids
and very soon Leeds, South? Yorkshire.

I don't know if I've even been noticed enough on the forum to be able to accept any kind of invitation.

I once met some forum people from another forum. I had to track them down at a convention. Every time I asked somebody about the community I was looking for I'd hear an anecdote from the person I was asking, about the community spoiling things for the person. "Oh yes I've heard of that lot :smallmad:! They peed off my balcony and sat on my cat! :smallfurious:"

Eldpollard
2007-03-20, 04:12 PM
I can't remember the number system but I live like a 20 minute train journey from Leeds. The land of Mirfield. We were voted 28th crappest town in the UK at one point, go us! But Leeds is perfect for me, no distance at all.

EDIT:
I'm based in Birmingham right now, in the summer I'm moving to Leeds.

The places I've lived in the last 2 years...

Peterborough, Cambs
Brighton, Sussex
Telford, Shropshire
Birmingham, West mids
and very soon Leeds, South? Yorkshire.

I don't know if I've even been noticed enough on the forum to be able to accept any kind of invitation.

I once met some forum people from another forum. I had to track them down at a convention. Every time I asked somebody about the community I was looking for I'd hear an anecdote from the person I was asking, about the community spoiling things for the person. "Oh yes I've heard of that lot :smallmad:! They peed off my balcony and sat on my cat! :smallfurious:"

Leeds is in west Yorkshire. No difference though.

Castaras
2007-03-20, 04:55 PM
Meh. I live in a small village in Cambridgeshire. Yay.

Last_resort_33
2007-03-20, 05:28 PM
I never understood it either. I drove 3-5 hours (depending on the traffic on the M1) to see my girlfriend, I lived in Dursley (Yeah potatocubed, that hell hole is near swindon) then I moved to Leeds to be with her after about a year and a bit.

And Glug... Leeds is int' WEST riding o' Yorkshire, and don't y' forget it!

Just drive or take the train my friends... as for a venue, any Ideas?

Eldpollard
2007-03-20, 05:30 PM
Well, for actually meeting in Leeds the train station makes sense, but after that I don't know. And actually we're not in west riding. The ridings were abolished in a decade I forget. But riding sounds better.

Dihan
2007-03-20, 05:38 PM

I'm a bit west of 18, in mid-northeast Wales. Luckily we don't have the accents or attitudes of 18!

Castaras
2007-03-20, 05:39 PM
I'm number 1! Wewt!

bosssmiley
2007-03-20, 06:37 PM
Meh. I live in a small village in Cambridgeshire. Yay.

Castaras, yesterday :smallwink:

http://www.artfan.net/data/media/54/rm_124_ofn_Puddlegum_the_Marsh_Wiggle.jpg
(apologies for the hotlink, ISP's ftp is screwy atm)

Quincunx
2007-03-21, 03:53 AM
Cobra, only we Americans can use time for distance. The rest of the world lives on "metric time".

The Evil Thing
2007-03-21, 04:18 AM
Yes. But the problem is persuading my mum and dad to allow me.

An original miss-spelling, by the way. :smalltongue:
Ugh, sorry about that... was nine-tenths asleep when I wrote that.

As for the parents... take them with you. I'm sure they'll love it. :smallbiggrin:

Charity
2007-03-21, 06:01 AM
Yep, that's our natural British reticence and stay-at-home nature coming through that is. Moving to another suburb, let alone another town, is a form of emigration.* Gaming - as with all such proclivities - should be kept behind closed doors and not talked about in front of children and/or outsiders. And the pub is for drinking in. You think I'm kidding? Then you're obviously foreign! All the Brits are nodding along in agreement right now. :smallwink:
*nods*

In truth though, I'm up for meeting you fella's, I could collect folk from 5, 13, 2, 10, 14, 12, or 3 I reckon.

Cantaras in fairness i can see why your parents might not want you to go to a house hundreds of miles away with a group predominantly consisting of blokes whom are much older than you, it is quite a risk. I can see myself not being into that idea when my daughter brings it up a few years down the line. One possible idea is to get your Dad to bring you to any meet himself, then he can see folk for himself, and take a few reg plates and addresses, that might somewhat put his mind at ease.

* Personally I think of Sunderland as a fair hike, Carlisle as a godforsaken backwater cut off from civilisation (which it is!), and anywhere south of York as dangerously soft, southern and frenchified.
Steady matey them's fighting words in these parts.

North of me? Nothing but utter desolation and howling tribes of madmen all the way to the pole!
Same here.

Have you people never heard of coaches or trains?
A what now?

BrokenButterfly
2007-03-21, 06:11 AM
Hey, I'd certainly be up for a meeting of the UKers. I'm 17 and I live at 2, which I think is Manchester. My Dad should be able to drop me off, there wouldn't be an issue with my folks, they're cool like that.

But it all depends on when this thing is, obviously I have school commitments, so sometime in the summer holidays perhaps?

Archonic Energy
2007-03-21, 07:34 AM
engage the holly hop drive... Engaged

10...9...8...6...5...4...3...2...1... hopping.

and Cast i'd be tempted to tell you to just not tell them but the last thing we want is for another nationwide search for a missing girl.... or bad publicity for gamers/OotSers.

Last_resort_33
2007-03-21, 08:56 AM
So far then

Hell Yeah!
Charity
LR33
The Evil Thing
Archonic Energy
Em
potatocubed
Broken Butterfly
Yuki_Akuma

Possibly
Prince of Cats
doihaveaname
Jibar
Glug

Yes if particular problem solved
Castaras
Exachix

Unlikely
Cobra Ikara
DarkCorax
bosssmiley

I doubt anyone knows who I am either, but hey!

Em
2007-03-21, 09:02 AM
I'm assuming I'm coming... 'cause though LR33's lovely, a piss-up in a brewery would elude him (not that I'm much better organised...).

LR, you do know that Luke reads these forums? You've just offered his house to the general population...

My mum gladly takes in anybody who turns up at the door, so a few gamers shouldn't be a problem. We've had people live in our house for years because they turned up with a toothbrush one day.

Archonic Energy
2007-03-21, 09:08 AM
LR, you do know that Luke reads these forums? You've just offered his house to the general population...

well at least it won't be a total suprise when 30+ people turn up at his house.

Khantalas
2007-03-21, 09:10 AM
Hey, if you do the thing at summer, I can fly over. I think.

Bah. There aren't enough people from Turkey to arrange a meeting. Most people are from America, Canada, Australia or Britain (hmm... I wonder why... :smalltongue:).

Last_resort_33
2007-03-21, 09:17 AM
I said that I'd ASK Luke anyway... I was planning some sort of function room of a pub or something like that, or an offer from someone else, I dunno... I just want to spark the idea.

I have, in fact, just phoned the pub down the road, if we get a buffet for £6.95 per head, then the function room is free. That means just a short trip downstairs for drinks and more food and more drinks.

Carling, Fosters Superchilled, Kronenbourg Extra Cold, Staropramen, Stella, John Smiths Smooth, Guinness, Strongbow Ice Cider, John Smiths + 3 Guest Ales.

If anyone's interested. We can spend the day there and do stuff.

I'm sure we can sleep a few people here or whatever... sound good?

BrokenButterfly
2007-03-21, 09:20 AM
BTW What are we classing as gaming here? Are we thinking of a combo of console gaming, board gaming or what?

I enjoy most types of gaming, video, role-playing, board, mini...but it would be useful to see what the general consensus is.

anphorus
2007-03-21, 09:22 AM
I'm about halfway between 7 and 8, so I think I'd win the furthest to travel award, if I come, though I used to live at 9.

I feel I should be offended somehow, but all of the natives here are howling madmen...

are we in a Zombie proof area?

will i need my SA-80?
Of course you will, everywhere north of Manchester still has a significant risk of attack when out in the open.

When it comes to gaming I have to make a confession. I've never actually played any kind of tabletop, pen and paper RPG before. I blame my friends, none of them are interested.

Also if you are bringing alcohol, can you have some not-beer? Like, I dunno, Whiskey or Smirnoff Ice or something.

Last_resort_33
2007-03-21, 09:30 AM
Well... I thought we might split up into smaller groups and do some tabletop RPGs Like D&D or something (characers prepared in advance of course), Have a few games of the OOTS board game. Zombies, Munchkin. Find out which way up the room is. That sort of thing.

WARNING: Although some of the barstaff at the pub may look like zombies, they are NOT, they are in fact just thick, and shooting them in the head will achieve nothing but an unsatisfying *THWUNK* noise! (apart from Rachel, who just needs the money)

If you are willing to learn, then you should slip into RPGing quite easily, especially if you have a rules mentor, to take care of that for you.

Also we won't have to bring drinks if we're in a pub, you can have anything your heart desires.I'm up for the pub idea, it means less mess to clear up, and we can stay right until closing.

BrokenButterfly
2007-03-21, 09:57 AM
Aww...we could have had some sort of Shaun of the Dead situation there.

Meh, pubs have never really done it for me (mostly because I never know if I'm going to get served or not...) they tend to be too smoky and noisy. But if Last resort is dead set on the pub and there is no other reasonable option then sure, it does have it's advantages too as you listed them.

Last_resort_33
2007-03-21, 10:07 AM
Shaun of the Dead RULES! how old are you BB? SHOULD you be getting served? anyway, I'm 21... with ID, I can buy rounds, as long as you're not being unruley or obvious, then that'd be OK. I'm only set on the pub idea until someone else decides to play host. We would be in a separate, upstairs room and they don't play music so no noise, no smoke and no-one bothering us unless they are bringing food or drinks.

Charity
2007-03-21, 10:14 AM
£7 for dinner sounds good to me, I have a couple of few board games I can bring along should anyone be keen, I might even drag someone along with me.

I will bring along (if anyone's keen) Peurto Rico, Settlers of Catan (and all the expansiony bits and pieces) my drinking legs and a sleeping bag.

Edit - No Smoke! expect to see me periodically then.
Gone are the days when I get asked for ID... long gone.
I used to get served at the ripe old age of 14 in my local, I guess they're a bit more strict these days.

Yuki Akuma
2007-03-21, 10:20 AM
I would be interested. I live in Southampton (around 5), and I'm sure I could get a train to Leeds.

Charity
2007-03-21, 10:23 AM
I can give you a lift if you can make it the thirty miles to Basingstoke Yuki.
I would pick you up but it would be heading in the wrong direction.

Yuki Akuma
2007-03-21, 10:24 AM
I can give you a lift if you can make it the thirty miles to Basingstoke Yuki.
I would pick you up but it would be heading in the wrong direction.

Or we could do that, yeah. Hm...

Well, it would be cheaper, I'd assume...

Edit: By a whole £60, apparently. Eek!

Yes, Charity. Please could you pick me up from Basingstoke? >.>

Last_resort_33
2007-03-21, 10:31 AM
No I don't get asked for ID, but I thought I'd say I had it anyways... Yeah, I was drinking in the local for a long while but it was... well if you've seen Hot Fuzz, then that community... it's not really a joke.

Charity
2007-03-21, 10:33 AM
Nay worries Yuki, it won't exactly be a hardship for me, I live ~10 mins drive from the station, so it'll only take me 5 mins.

Yuki Akuma
2007-03-21, 10:35 AM
Nay worries Yuki, it won't exactly be a hardship for me, I live ~10 mins drive from the station, so it'll only take me 5 mins.

Hm. There seems to be a maths error here. :smallwink:

Charity
2007-03-21, 10:41 AM
Hm. There seems to be a maths error here. :smallwink:

That's what I keep telling those guys in the dayglo jackets and the speed guns... but they never believe me.

Amotis
2007-03-21, 10:44 AM
Wow this sounds fun. Someone bring a digital camera please!

And cos-play!

And Charity...there's driving...and then there's driving.

Yuki Akuma
2007-03-21, 10:45 AM

And cos-play!

...Cos-play? Uuh...

Archonic Energy
2007-03-21, 10:53 AM
Required Reading...

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i188/Archonic_NRG/2006_01120002.jpg

MWHAHAHA!

And cos-play!

DC will probably be done many times
as for cos-play.... i may get a T-shirt with my Avi on it... that'll be about as far as i go

Charity
2007-03-21, 10:57 AM
I'll try and remember one.

And cos-play!
[boring old duffer]I don't go in for fancydress[/bod]

I've calmed down a LOT since the bad old days.
Seeing by how many times you can exceed the speed limit (3x).
driving with my mate Simon clinging onto the bonnet at 40.
Scaring the big bad biker hitchhiker soo bad he screamed and made me let him out at the side of the motorway...
Don't worry Yuki, I have calmed down a LOT, I have kiddiewinks now, I won't take any risks with them or me.

Edit - Guess who isn't getting a lift ^

Last_resort_33
2007-03-21, 10:57 AM
Hmmm maybe we shouldn't invite Archonic Energy

Fancy Dress is a bit excessive, but whatever floats your boat... Geek shirts at least should be expected however!

http://www.jinx.com/default.htm

All Cloaks, Tunics, Headbands, Chainmail, Staffs etc are welcome.... No weapons.... Not with D from our games group there... he causes accidents when he is "Just Looking" at weaponary

Jibar
2007-03-21, 11:13 AM
While declaring you a pimp?

See!
See what I have to live with!
God I hate my life.

Kantur
2007-03-21, 11:25 AM
Hmm, I'd be interested in attending, so long as time, uni and money don't decide to interfere with it...

Hang on, like the Hot Fuzz village community...There's no best location competion any time soon is there?

Archonic Energy
2007-03-21, 11:31 AM
i'm suprised there'll be room in your Atom C...

Charity
2007-03-21, 11:42 AM
Sadly only one spare seat in an Atom, I'll have to bring the Charisma.

Timberwolf
2007-03-21, 11:50 AM
Hey Yuki, where do you live in Southampton ? I used to live in Swaythling.

I'd have to see closer the time. I live in Bath so Leeds is a bit of a trek for me but still, you never know.

Last_resort_33
2007-03-21, 11:55 AM
Hmm, I'd be interested in attending, so long as time, uni and money don't decide to interfere with it...

Hang on, like the Hot Fuzz village community...There's no best location competion any time soon is there?

No, the Hot Fuzz community is where I USED to live (Dursley, Gloucestershire) before I moved to Leeds.

It'll have to avoid Uni for me too, Got my finals soon... yay :smallconfused:

The_Librarian
2007-03-21, 11:56 AM
If you're up for teaching a complete and utter table-top RPing newb how to play, you can put me down as a maybe - depends on finances!

RE: Hot Fuzz -still there :D

Charity
2007-03-21, 12:12 PM
RE: Hot Fuzz -still there :D
You are so lucky I got to this quote before Death did Libris.

Get yerself over for the meet missus, you know you wanna.

The_Librarian
2007-03-21, 12:16 PM
I DO wanna! I would say my answer is a 75% yes, mainly because I currently earn less then I spend.It's all that PotC memorabilia.

I'm happy to hop on a train for a fair while to get to places too.

Dihan
2007-03-21, 12:18 PM
I live nowhere near a train station, buses take too long, and I have no money. I have my exams after easter and my parents probably wouldn't let me anyway.

Thes Hunter
2007-03-21, 12:39 PM
When they were doing airfare specials a few years ago, with cross atlantic flights in the neighborhood of 250 to 350 I would have signed up for enough invasive medical trials to pay for me and Trog to take a holiday.

However, at the current prices I would need to sell a kidney to do so. With the hypertension and diabetes rampant in my family, I think I need all the nephrons I can get.

Charity
2007-03-21, 12:55 PM
Sell one of Trogs.

It would be great to see you Transatlantic types (especially the mighty Thes), but it is a bit much to ask.

Trog
2007-03-21, 01:01 PM
Sell one of Trogs.
They like them not soused in alcohol, generally. Knew I shouldn't have opened that tavern.

spinningdice
2007-03-21, 01:04 PM
Wow, a meetup in Leeds? I'm a bit of a non-person here, but I'd be willing - provided it's:
) close (Leeds is fine, or Sheffield at a push),
) it doesn't go on too late as I'll have at least an hour to get back on train/bus and the last one I can get is about 10:00pm.
) I can get someone to babysit.
) Its not going to cost me a fortune, as I'm going to be absolute rock-bottom skint this year...

potatocubed
2007-03-21, 01:33 PM
I love it when other people organise stuff.

Speaking of organisation, if we're doing it LR33's way I'll happily volunteer to run a quick one-shot game of something. Preferably something I wouldn't otherwise get a chance to run, like Nobilis or something, but I'm good with whatever.

Just let me know time, date and location.

Glaivemaster
2007-03-21, 02:12 PM
Well, as long as it is in Leeds, and if it is in Summer then I can make it

The Summer part isn't really important (but I do turn 18 at the beginning of August, which is useful), but it being in Leeds is really very useful

Amotis
2007-03-21, 02:14 PM
Preferably something I wouldn't otherwise get a chance to run, like Nobilis or something, but I'm good with whatever.

Why don't you live here!!?! Porquuueeeeeeee?!?!

Ego Slayer
2007-03-21, 02:17 PM
I think you mean "por qué", right?:smallwink:

Amotis
2007-03-21, 02:18 PM
Haha yeah. Or I was screaming "beeeeecaaaauuuuuuuseeeeeee."

spinningdice
2007-03-21, 03:33 PM
Nobilis, wow - that's... ambitious - it's been sat on my shelf for a year or two now and I periodically open it and wonder what the hell to do with it.

Eldpollard
2007-03-21, 03:41 PM
You can put me down for a hell yes. As I've said I live 20 minutes from Leeds. I'm not 18 yet but I will be in May, so alcohol no problem.

Archonic Energy
2007-03-21, 09:26 PM
Plan A:
Travel up on night before
sleep @ comfort inn
Meet up (earlyish)
game on
say goodbyes
sleep @ comfort inn
go home back to civilisation

cost £150

Plan B:
Travel up on day
Meet mid-day ish
game on
say bye
sleep @ C. I.
go home

Cost £90

Plan C:
travel up on day
meet mid-day ish
game on
say bye
sleep on park bench
go home
cost £40

Plan D:
is there a sleeper train
can i get home from victoria @ 03:00?

Plan E:
"borrow" a car...
Cost 3 years or an ASBO

The Evil Thing
2007-03-22, 02:27 AM
Last resort, would you mind downgrading me from "Hell Yeah!" to "Possibly" because I still have to stump up the cash to travel. :smallannoyed: - in the red right now due to buying new PC. :smallbiggrin:

potatocubed
2007-03-22, 02:35 AM

I looked into emigrating a few years ago, but your country doesn't want me. Apparently you've got enough liberal arts majors already. :smalltongue:

Charity
2007-03-22, 03:32 AM
Archie

F - Plan
Get Charity to pick me up on the way up there, as he has to go up the M1 anyhow, and is already taking Yuki.
Talk nonsence the entire journey up there, and complain about the music
Fear for life as Chaz don's traditional motorway blindfold and welds right foot to the floor.
Meet mid-day ish
game on
Sleep in cheepo travellodge or some strangers floor,
say bye

cost - Sanity

Last_resort_33
2007-03-22, 03:35 AM
Evil Thing, Whereabouts do you live? you might be able to get a lift. Heck if it's within Yorkshire, I might be willing to help.

If anyone is coming by train, I'll gladly pick them up from the station. The venue is pretty far out of town

BrokenButterfly
2007-03-22, 05:13 AM
Well, alcohol serving isn't really an issue for me. I don't like beer (I know, teenage guy who doesn't like beer...) so I wouldn't be drinking it anyway. I like to drink spirity drinks for a change, but never to anywhere near excess. I'll probably just be drinking a lot of Coke, as usual.

I might need a lift, my folks are fine with me going to this thing (as long as it's at the right time of course) but Dad's trying to force me into taking the train. This sucks of course, since I never, ever take trains of my own volition, let alone on my own. I'm just don't like them, the lack of freedom once you've made your choice of line I think. I much prefer buses or even better, lifts. But that is to say Last resort, if I do take a train, that offered lift would be reallly handy.

I would be great if we could have one or two of our outsider bretheren attending too. Plus, in terms of geekiness, I'll probably wear my CSI shirt (I just love it sooo much!)

Last_resort_33
2007-03-22, 05:30 AM
Outsider Bretheren? you mean like a few Inevitables? Celestials? Demons?

The train ain't so bad if you know where you're going.

So guys, are we going for a "one day" thing right from breakfast to closing? are we having an afternoon, evening and a morning? or what? The place opens from 11am -11pm every day apart from sundays which is 12noon - 9pm

I think it's safe to say that a weekday or a saturday would be best, as for a date, how is the beginning end of June for everyone?

oh and wtf is nobilis?

KuReshtin
2007-03-22, 05:45 AM
This sounds like a pretty cool idea.
Depending on the date, I might make the trip down to England to lend some foreign flavour to the meet, being Swedish and all.

My location is just up to coast a bit from #9 on the map shown previously in the thread.

Charity
2007-03-22, 08:14 AM
I can't do the weekend that includes the 23rd of June. but i'm good otherwise.
I think the one day thing will be easier for most folk to schedule in, though if I'm drinking (and I am) I will have to stop over somewhere.

I don't have rules for nobilis.
Potato^3 I will no doubt be jetting past the village you live in.. Lon.. something or another, I can prob offer you a lift in the Charity bus, if you so desire (blindfolds and prayor beads are provided)

anphorus
2007-03-22, 10:26 AM
Geekshirt eh? I hope I can find a Chrono Trigger T-Shirt in time, or I may have to go with one of my lesser obsessions, like a Flash T-Shirt or something.

Castaras
2007-03-22, 10:45 AM
End of June isn't that good for the guys at schools. End of July would maybe be better.

Rumda
2007-03-22, 10:57 AM
I may come depending on the dates, leeds is not that far on the train from lancaster

Dragor
2007-03-22, 11:08 AM
Oh, how I wish I was older. 14 here- but I doubt my parents would allow me to have a D&D session with people I'm talking to over the Internet :smallfrown: which makes me angry.
I'm in Leicester, which is around '16' on that map.
Would LOVE to go, but sadly it's a no. I frown again. :smallfrown:

Charity
2007-03-22, 11:12 AM
When I was 14 my parents had no idea where I was... at any stage, I did... well whatever I wanted.
Things are clearly different for you wippersnappers, fair play to you.

Castaras
2007-03-22, 11:15 AM
When I was 14 my parents had no idea where I was... at any stage, I did... well whatever I wanted.
Things are clearly different for you wippersnappers, fair play to you.

We 14 year olds have problems when you have a parent who's a lawyer and knows most of the cases of kidnap by internet people.

Although my dad has said "Maybe". Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing I'm not sure.

Charity
2007-03-22, 11:48 AM
I respect and applaud your parents caution, don't get me wrong.
I was a precocious child and quite rebellious... can't wait for genetics to bite me in the backside when my two get 'of an age'.
Maybe isn't no, so it's a good thing.

spinningdice
When I was 14, my Mum used to pay me to leave the house - but I think at that point she was terrified that I was never going to socialise and still be living at her home in my 40s.

Ironically after 5 years away, I'm moving back in with her (though as part owner on equal terms).

Glaivemaster
Unfortunately, anything before the beginning of August is not good with me. A-levels in June, followed by a trip to Europe in July, so if it is June/July, I won't be able to make it, unfortunately :smallfrown:

Last_resort_33
2007-03-22, 11:55 AM
Hmmmm Well I've looked at what I'm doing, August ain't so good Just as a date out of the air, How's the 14th of July for everyone? It's a number picked out of the air that fits around what I personally am doing, It comes after people's exams, and is reasonably soon.

Acutally, do people prefer fridays or saturdays?

Castaras
2007-03-22, 11:56 AM
Saturdays.

Ikkitosen
2007-03-22, 12:00 PM
Hey peeps.

First, props/thanks to Charity for the heads-up - I hadn't noticed this thread.

I'm Birmingham-based at the moment (likely to move south for work in a few months), so getting most places is relatively easy. And I have a car. But it's old. And a bit "fumey" - I keep meaning to get some kind of noxious gas detector to find out if it's just in my head or whether I might die nect time I go a long way...

Anywaaaaay, I'd be interested in meeting up with some of you guys/gals, it'd be fun. I suggest sooner over later since these things are notoriously unlikely to happen at all, and if you try to please everyone's schedule you'll end up NOT meeting that first weekend in 2010 we're all free :smallwink:

So yeah, games and beer followed by sleeping in the car/on the floor. I sugest our prospective "host" decide on a few potential weekends and see who hollers up free..?

potatocubed
2007-03-22, 12:34 PM
Potato^3 I will no doubt be jetting past the village you live in.. Lon.. something or another, I can prob offer you a lift in the Charity bus, if you so desire (blindfolds and prayor beads are provided)

Thanks, but if it's a Saturday it'll probably be easier for me to get the train to and from Leeds. If it's a Friday I won't be able to go at all, so.

Hmmmm Well I've looked at what I'm doing, August ain't so good Just as a date out of the air, How's the 14th of July for everyone? It's a number picked out of the air that fits around what I personally am doing, It comes after people's exams, and is reasonably soon.

Acutally, do people prefer fridays or saturdays?

14th of July is fine with me.

And I prefer Saturdays.

Charity
2007-03-22, 12:47 PM
Cool and the gang Ikkies in, where are you moving to down in the civilised realms?
P^3, thats fine and dandy matey just thought i'd make the offer.
If anyone else (en route) wants a lift, I'm not really a total nutter driver, just chuck a request in, oh Archie d'ya need a lift matey?
Saturday is a good day for us working types let's say it's a Sat.

Yuki Akuma
2007-03-22, 01:28 PM
14th July is fine with me...

spinningdice
2007-03-22, 02:21 PM
14th July manages to fall between my Daughters birthday and mine (13th and 19th respectively) - so might not be easy, depending on when we do her a party (she'll be 1, she's got to have a party...)

Eldpollard
2007-03-22, 02:32 PM
14th july is fine for me. my a levels will be over.

Last_resort_33
2007-03-22, 02:56 PM
Would people mind filling this in to help me?
http://www.pedrick.org.uk/GITPMeet/questions.php
If you do mind, let me know, but it should help me co-ordinate things so I can make arrangements

Eldpollard
2007-03-22, 03:03 PM
If you do mind, let me know, but it should help me co-ordinate things so I can make arrangements

I tried the form but all I got after I filled it in was
"Error adding submitted entry: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ' Prob = 1, FTok = 1' at line 6" Whatever that means.

Last_resort_33
2007-03-22, 03:15 PM
I tried the form but all I got after I filled it in was
"Error adding submitted entry: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ' Prob = 1, FTok = 1' at line 6" Whatever that means.

Fixed... I hadn't programmed what would happen if someone left the number of people they could take blank!

Fill in the form.... we might yet be able to get a lift for you... the Idea is for me to collect all the data into one table so I can check for things like that

Eldpollard
2007-03-22, 03:23 PM
Fixed... I hadn't programmed what would happen if someone left the number of people they could take blank!

Fill in the form.... we might yet be able to get a lift for you... the Idea is for me to collect all the data into one table so I can check for things like that

Well I don't need a lift anyway. public transport and an out of date bus pass.

The Evil Thing
2007-03-22, 03:23 PM
This sucks of course, since I never, ever take trains of my own volition, let alone on my own. I'm just don't like them, the lack of freedom once you've made your choice of line I think. I much prefer buses or even better, lifts.
How... how could you not like trains?

I could understand if you got on the Stoke-Euston express accidentally then that might be a problem but come on... :smallsmile:

(I, of course, am completely dulled to trains seeing as I have to take 18 in a week)

Last_resort_33
2007-03-22, 03:25 PM
That's like 2 and a half trains a day!! Where do you have to go so much?!?!?

The Evil Thing
2007-03-22, 03:31 PM
It's a daily commute that involves one transfer. On two days I finish early so I take a bus part of the journey.

potatocubed
2007-03-22, 03:43 PM

Done. It wouldn't let me explain the full details of my transport arrangements, but I suppose you can always ask in case of confusion.

Archonic Energy
2007-03-22, 03:49 PM
Yeah C that'd be cool.
but only if there's room (by that i mean if anyone who Can't get there themselves needs my space i'll jump on the train)

anyone got a laptop that will play NWN?
i can bring a 8 way switch and some Cat 5...

Adlan
2007-03-22, 03:56 PM
I'd love to meet up, and I might be up for running a Serenity RPG game. I live at No. 1.

Some time in the summer would be good.

Eldpollard
2007-03-22, 04:10 PM
I'd love to meet up, and I might be up for running a Serenity RPG game. I live at No. 1.

Some time in the summer would be good.

Serenity RPG? sounds cool. As long as we can all play munchkins. I have many versions of it.

Last_resort_33
2007-03-22, 04:22 PM
I got 8 way switches and CAT5s coming out my arse, but my laptop's buggered... could lug down my PC tho... it depends how many people are interested in comp gaming... I saw it as more of a board and P&P RPG thing... but if you can organise enough people wanting to play NWN then my PC is there for the borrowing

The_Librarian
2007-03-22, 04:28 PM
I'm more intrigued by people teaching me how to play this "D&D" thing I hear so much about... It only take 3hrs to get a train from here apparently. Then again, my geography is awful and I was guessing on 8.

Archonic Energy
2007-03-22, 04:43 PM
I'm more intrigued by people teaching me how to play this "D&D" thing I hear so much about... It only take 3hrs to get a train from here apparently. Then again, my geography is awful and I was guessing on 8.
apparantly you roll dice... it must be like Craps?

Ikkitosen
2007-03-22, 04:46 PM
Posting to check what I am in the playground. And to say that this far in advance the 14th of july is currently cool with me.

EDIT: Ok, Ogre. Filled in the linked thang btw. If I end up giving people lifts there will have to be a "no ragging on Fred (my car)" agreement - he's old.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-03-22, 04:50 PM
I'm guessing from the fact that this is on the fifth page it's already been sorted out?

Not that I really want to go, I'm only 17, I have school work and I don't even know why I should be interested. I just happen to be living on the island(s) mentioned in the title.

Glaivemaster
2007-03-22, 04:59 PM
Ok, you can remove me from the definitely list, unfortunately. I shall be travelling in July, and unable to come

Oh well, have fun guys and gals!

Ikkitosen
2007-03-22, 05:07 PM
If all goes well I'm sure we'll do it again, and you can come the second time, when we know we're not all total wierdos. ;)

Last_resort_33
2007-03-22, 05:09 PM
I'm guessing from the fact that this is on the fifth page it's already been sorted out?

Not that I really want to go, I'm only 17, I have school work and I don't even know why I should be interested. I just happen to be living on the island(s) mentioned in the title.

Just fill in the form, It's not really been sorted out, apart from, It's going to be in Leeds, and it's probably going to be on the 14th of July. If you can make it, then great!

when we know we're not all total wierdos. ;)
We're not????

Castaras
2007-03-22, 05:11 PM
We're not????

You stole the words from my mouth.

Weirdos are awesome! Total weirdos are even more awesome!

And the complete and utter weirdos are the peak of awesomeness!

Kantur
2007-03-22, 05:16 PM
Total wierdo? I asked a complete stranger for a hug today...
Ok, it was part of a social psychology experiment...this time...:smallwink:

Yes, I did get the hug. Then I found fi...no, even I won't try and redeem this post like that.

Yuki Akuma
2007-03-22, 05:40 PM
Has anyone heard of a game called Grimm? I have the D20 version rules, and I might consider running a game if there's really going to be so many people there that we can have three different games going on at once...

As long as I get a chance to play something, too...

Eldpollard
2007-03-22, 05:47 PM
I can't say I've heard of it. Well I could but it would be a lie.

Yuki Akuma
2007-03-22, 05:55 PM
For the uninitiated: Grimm is a story of fairytales and nursery rhymes made real. It's basically fantastic horror, starring children in a perverse, warped version of the stories of the Brothers Grimm.

All in all, very fun. :smallbiggrin: Characters tend to die rather than find a happy ending.

Eldpollard
2007-03-22, 06:17 PM
Sounds good, if odd.

Last_resort_33
2007-03-23, 02:17 AM
is it anything like CUTE?

Em
2007-03-23, 05:49 AM
I got 8 way switches and CAT5s coming out my arse, but my laptop's buggered... could lug down my PC tho... it depends how many people are interested in comp gaming... I saw it as more of a board and P&P RPG thing... but if you can organise enough people wanting to play NWN then my PC is there for the borrowing

Nononononononononono PLEASE no bleedin' computers.... ANYTHING... I'll do ANYTHING....
Besides, why would anyone want to play computer games in A ROOM FULL OF EXPERIENCED P&P GAMERS???
I'll stop yelling now... perhaps.

Oh yes - I'll gladly fry and eat your PC if it means no computers. With garlic...

zombie chick
2007-03-23, 06:27 AM
well i would be interested in the meet up, especially since people seem to be in yorkshire, where i am too.
and wont mind what we do, gaming computer or otherwise would be cool.
havnet read the whole thread yet but what stage is the planning going?

just read the form, can i let you know nearer the date as i sometimes work on saturday. but will try to keep it open

potatocubed
2007-03-23, 07:45 AM
Oh yes - I'll gladly fry and eat your PC if it means no computers. With garlic...

I'm sure there's a 'chips' joke in there somewhere...

spinningdice
2007-03-23, 08:12 AM
I've got permission in theory from my other (better) half - though another date might be easier.

I've got Nobilis, Grimm, Spycraft 2, D&D 3.5, and various other games, though I'd prefer not to run for peeps I don't know.

Charity
2007-03-23, 08:58 AM
LR33 I filled in your formy thingy, but I put I can take 3 peaps, two of those slots have been filled by Yuki and Archie by prior arrangement... hope this doesn't complicate matters for you too much.

But there is still one seat left in the chariot of the gods... possibly two but it will be a bit crowded with 5 in the car so I'd rather not.

If we're gonna play any of these unusual games we're gonna need some rules availability.

Last_resort_33
2007-03-23, 09:55 AM
True, once we've got a better idea of how many people are turning up, then we might create a vague timetable... Damn, we could really do with more than one thread for this... meh, we'll manage, Next up, DOES ANYBODY OWN THE OOTS GAME???

Charity
2007-03-23, 10:21 AM
I got 8 way switches and CAT5s coming out my arse,
You might wanna see the quack about that!

Oh yes - I'll gladly fry and eat your PC if it means no computers. With garlic..
OK, now I understand... were eating out yeah?

but my laptop's buggered.,
And a maybe see a psycologist about that.

Nononononononononono PLEASE no bleedin' computers.... ANYTHING... I'll do ANYTHING.....

Well given LR33's strange habits I can sympathize with your sentiments

Sorry no Oots game here... though I have disposable income, whats the delivery time on it d'ya reckon?

Castaras
2007-03-23, 10:50 AM
I have OOTS game. It's awesome! :smallbiggrin:

potatocubed
2007-03-23, 11:23 AM
Sorry no Oots game here... though I have disposable income, whats the delivery time on it d'ya reckon?

You could try ordering from Orc's Nest (http://www.orcsnest.com). They have good delivery times and often have a copy of the OotS game in stock.

Yuki Akuma
2007-03-23, 12:26 PM
Is Grimm like CUTE?

I will admit I shamelessly stole ideas for CUTE from Grimm. CUTE is a little less deadly, though.

spinningdice - Do you own the Grimm book? I only own the PDF. Legally, of course.

Also: I have the OOTS game. I can bring it if you want.

Eldpollard
2007-03-23, 12:47 PM
i've never played the oots game, so do bring it.

Ikkitosen
2007-03-23, 01:10 PM
I'd love to play the OoTS game, if possible. Also, I kinda agree with the "no PCs" things. I'm not amish, but I think for our first meeting something where we socially interact a lot, like a P&P rpg would be good :)

Anyhoooooo, how many people do we have so far?

Charity
2007-03-23, 01:19 PM
You could try ordering from Orc's Nest (http://www.orcsnest.com). They have good delivery times and often have a copy of the OotS game in stock.

Cool, ta for that.
I used to go there when I worked in London.. I'd forgotten it even existed.
Will we need more copies of Oots do you all think?

Which is the same as Ikkies Q really...

Archonic Energy
2007-03-23, 02:15 PM
Nononononononononono PLEASE no bleedin' computers.... ANYTHING... I'll do ANYTHING....
Besides, why would anyone want to play computer games in A ROOM FULL OF EXPERIENCED P&P GAMERS???
I'll stop yelling now... perhaps.

erm... you guy's know i havent played a game, right... RIGHT!

and that i'm a Cyborg who needs a PC to breath...

and i'll want to read the "friday" OotS (stupid timezones)

BrokenButterfly
2007-03-23, 02:55 PM
Okay, I've also filled in the survey for Last Resort now. Can I place a dibs on a place for station pick-up LR?

I'd love to play the OotS game too, I was thinking of buying it myself actually. I play a lot of D&D, currently at 5 and a half hours a week, so I have nothing against playing D&D. I'm not that interested in other role-play systems though.

BTW The reason that I don't like trains is really down to the issue that if I'm on the wrong one I can't just get off at the next stop and walk, like if it were a bus.

No problem with this date for the moment, but I'll keep you guys posted (if you'll excuse the pun).

Anyone coming from Manchester at all?

Timberwolf
2007-03-23, 04:29 PM
I might be up for it but for a few things

1 DnD newb, never played it in my life
2 14th Jul is my brothers birthday. Guess I'll have to watch this space. He lives in London and hasn't been home for his birthday in years so that should be ok.

spinningdice
2007-03-23, 05:17 PM
Is Grimm like CUTE?
spinningdice - Do you own the Grimm book? I only own the PDF. Legally, of course.

Yup, the d20 version, I'm not sure if they ever got around to releasing the non-d20 version that they were talking about.

If we played Grimm, I might have to bring along my Fiance, as it's actually hers...

Last_resort_33
2007-03-24, 02:51 AM
and i'll want to read the "friday" OotS

I'll see if I can project it up on a screen or something :smallwink:

for those thinking of Grimm..
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=36_41&products_id=471&affiliate_id=8083

Ikkitosen
2007-03-24, 03:54 AM
So, who's going to make badges then? Avatar, screen name and real first name should do it I reckon :)

Yuki Akuma
2007-03-24, 05:14 AM
So! WHo's up for a d20 Grimm game, then? PM me if you want to play at the meet so I can, you know, starting storting things out...

Castaras
2007-03-24, 05:50 AM
So, who's going to make badges then? Avatar, screen name and real first name should do it I reckon :)

Hmm...that's a pretty good idea. I'll dig through my old art stuff and see if I can find something which can do that...

Last_resort_33
2007-03-24, 02:12 PM
I think that it would be great to have a D&D Dungeon Crawl, Old Skool Style. If anyone wants to run that' it'd be great!

Eldpollard
2007-03-24, 02:16 PM
Sounds fun. However I'm not very good at running, ad libbing is not my strong point.

potatocubed
2007-03-24, 03:00 PM
If you need someone to run something, anything, I'm flexible.

zeratul
2007-03-24, 03:01 PM
I want in but im from New York :(

BrokenButterfly
2007-03-24, 03:17 PM
In an emergency I could DM, but I'd rather not, my style is a bit odd...and I DM too much in an average week.

Archonic Energy
2007-03-24, 03:33 PM
I want in but im from New York :(

just jump on a transatlantic flight my Protoss friend

Dark Dork
2007-03-24, 03:45 PM

Gah!! :eek: My real name is spoken aloud!!
*Flies out the room with a ladle*

I'm in, deffo. I'll even DM a game or two on the day.

And no, you cannot use my mansion and it's airstrip, swimming pool and system of underground tunnels.

spinningdice
2007-03-25, 05:03 AM
I'd be up for Grimm, though if short of DM's could run a game (probably Spycraft or Savage Worlds - but could be convinced to something else) - though I'd prefer not to as I'm on the shy side and get intimidated running a game for a bunch of people I don't know.

The_Librarian
2007-03-25, 09:59 AM
Has there been any decision on the location? Besides Leeds, I mean. Somewhere a bit more specific than Leeds.

Last_resort_33
2007-03-25, 11:23 AM
Well, The White House, is a pub which we often go to for food. It has a function room upstairs, if we pay for a buffet, then we get the room free... even if it's not this particular pub, then I think that one similar should suffice. Seeing as there is going to be about 15-20 people, It's a bit much to try to host it in someone's house. The area will be Roundhay in North Leeds.

The_Librarian
2007-03-25, 12:05 PM
Sounds good. So long as they don't object to wolves.

Last_resort_33
2007-03-25, 01:17 PM
Sounds good. So long as they don't object to wolves.
Eh? (well can you think of any other response, I sure can't)

fireinthedust
2007-03-25, 03:44 PM
Hey, I'm in Portsmouth for the next little while

would anyone want to meet up beforehand?

fireinthedust
2007-03-25, 03:47 PM
I'm in, btw, *except* that I fly back for my sister's wedding in July/August. she's in Toronto. I'm all over Europe until then, and would love to just meet up. I can take the but.

I'm in Portsmouth for now.

KuReshtin
2007-03-25, 05:25 PM
Just signed the form and sent that on.
I'll be bringing Surfer99, since he's expressed an interest in coming along as well. Well, he's not said anything here on the thread, but he spoke to me at work and told me he'd tag along. As long as I gave him a ride.

I can pick up another one or two people from the Glasgow area if need be with the same condition Ikki mentioned.. No dissing the car, or I'll leave you at the side of the motorway!

Last_resort_33
2007-03-26, 01:52 AM
no dissing the car, or I'll leave you at the side of the motorway!

Similar rules apply to those I pick up from the station!

For those who want to know, It's a grey Corolla that seems to be registered as being green it has dents on the front, dents side and a big dent on the back. (only one of them caused by me) it's filthy and I can't be bothered to clean it, and it's full of coke cans, subway wrappers, old magazines and mud and stuff. But it's (marginally) better than walking... oh yeah and the rear suspension's shot owing to the number of speed bumps around Gledhow...

so.... anyone need a lift??

Charity
2007-03-26, 01:58 AM
So! WHo's up for a d20 Grimm game, then? PM me if you want to play at the meet so I can, you know, starting storting things out...
*chuckle* It's Grimm tup north *snicker*
I'll give it a go Yuki, though I don't have the rules...

Jontom Xire
2007-03-26, 03:23 AM
Hey, how come no-one pinged me on this - until Charity did just now.

I tried to kick something like this off last year.

Anyway, subject to date I'd definitely be up for it.

Ah - I see the date is on the form - might be an idea to put it on the first page.

Anyway I think that's around the same time as my GFs birthday, but it's not like we're that serious anyway :) That sounds so bad doesn't it.

Charity, can I hitch a lift with you if you're driving?

====EDIT====

I haven't done any P&P RPG for YEARS and really want to. I tried to get back into it since last year when my ex left, but haven't found anyone locally with time or interest to spare.

Something I do do is play online games, mostly strategy or Urban Terror. I usually play with my mate and we're both not very good at any of these games (we have lives so little time to practice) and we usually play co-operatively against the computer. Anyway it would be cool to have an OOTS clan for online gaming and might be a fun way to get to know each other before we meet up outside of the forums. I have my own TeamSpeak server and a modestly decent internet connection.

Last_resort_33
2007-03-26, 03:35 AM
here ya go (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=36_41&products_id=471)

$5 =roughly £2.50

Charity
2007-03-26, 03:55 AM
Charity, can I hitch a lift with you if you're driving?

No worries, if you can hop on a train to Basingstoke, (same train as Yuki)
I'll pick you both up from the station.

That puts the motor as full LR33, ta for the rules linky btw.

BrokenButterfly
2007-03-26, 07:54 AM

I think I've made my feelings clear on that LR...

potatocubed
2007-03-26, 08:34 AM
So.... anyone need a lift??

From the station? Sure. Beats walking all that way. I might need a lift back again at some point.

Eldpollard
2007-03-26, 09:53 AM

From Leeds train station? Would be a great help, as I have no idea where this meet up is, apart from Leeds.

Last_resort_33
2007-03-26, 10:02 AM
afterwards, if you are travelling back on the train, you can share a taxi... wouldn't cost much if you split it. I doubt I'll be in any fit state to drive back

Khantalas
2007-03-26, 10:57 AM
If only I could come to UK, then I would attend the meeting too.

Bah! Why aren't there enough people from Turkey in the Playground?

Ikkitosen
2007-03-26, 02:40 PM
So, is the plan to make the round trip in one day or are there digs available? Beer I'm sure would add to the fun, but it isn't absolutely necessary...

Last_resort_33
2007-03-26, 02:57 PM
Well becasuse (as I have said) it will be in a pub, then beer will be up to the amount of cash you bring or the balance on your credit card.

For those that need somewhere to sleep, there will be minimal floorspace available at my Fiancee's parents' house. Those with full time jobs can probably find somewhere around that is cheap enough.

Some people will be able to sleep in the train on the way back. If you really feel brave then you can sleep in your car... This is Leeds, be careful that your car isn't stolen while you're sleeping in it!

If people are willing to "Shack up", then I saw a sign for a hotel on the way into town that was about £33 a room for up to 3 people. £11 each doesn't sound bad now does it?

If anyone has parents that aren't sure, If they like then you can PM me and I will give you my phone number if they woudl like to chat first to make sure I vaugely know what I am doing and am not an irresponsible rapist or something.

The_Librarian
2007-03-26, 04:29 PM
Am I too late to beg for a lift from the station? If so... which bus(es) do I need to catch?

As for sleeping, ideally I'd travel back home the same day (yeah, I know, I'm boring!)

Last_resort_33
2007-03-26, 04:32 PM
one more space, yeah... If there's anybody else, It's not too far... oh, and if you're interested, it's the 12 that you need to catch, that goes from somewhere on Vicar Street, by the Corn Exchange

Ikkitosen
2007-03-26, 05:36 PM
Once in Leeds I'm sure I could pick people up from the train station. I'll have already driven from Birmingham already!

Not to get ahead of ourselves (who can say what will happen nearer the time?) but I'd probably follow LR33 and pick people up in a lump*.

*This seems to be the state of people after a BR journey - all smushed into a lump 'cos there's almost NO space on the train.

Kantur
2007-03-26, 05:39 PM
I suspect I'd appreachiate a lift from the station if someone can manage it...As opposed to trying to work out if I just passed the place I was meant to get off the bus...

BrokenButterfly
2007-03-26, 05:47 PM
Don't know what I'll do when the thing's over, I might plump for that 33 pound room deal, if anyone wants to split the cost. But it's still some time away, I'll give it some more thought.

KuReshtin
2007-03-26, 05:57 PM
I'm pretty sure I'll stay over and go home on the Sunday, cause to be honest, I don't think I'll be able to go back up to Glasgow on the night. Especially if I've driven down to Leeds in the morning to begin with.
Its about a 5 hour drive..
So I'll be staying over, and that £33 hotel sounds pretty good to me.

Kantur
2007-03-26, 06:02 PM
Yeah, I suspect I'd be going for the hotel idea as well...Something about having hardly any choice but train and trying to get back...

Last_resort_33
2007-03-27, 02:23 AM
I'm pretty sure I'll stay over and go home on the Sunday, cause to be honest, I don't think I'll be able to go back up to Glasgow on the night. Especially if I've driven down to Leeds in the morning to begin with.
Its about a 5 hour drive..
So I'll be staying over, and that £33 hotel sounds pretty good to me.

I tried to do it about 2/3 of that distance when we went to the English Heritage History Festival. God that was a Drive back...

I'll see if I can get the name of the place...

Dark Dork
2007-03-27, 06:00 AM
LR33, you could put a link from your website to a mini site about the UKITPmeet with the aplication form and all the information on.

It would be all proper like.

Last_resort_33
2007-03-27, 09:19 AM
What time should we start/finish. I suggest:

11-12: Arrive and say Hi & Beer
12-15: Round 1 Games & Buffet Lunch & Beer
15-16: Random Banter & Beer
16-19: Round 2 Games & Dinner & Beer
19-20: Random Banter and People going Home can Leave & Beer
20-23: Round 3 Games & Snacks & Beer
23:00: Go where you're sleeping, Late leavers can go home

Whadaya reckon? If we split the games into rounds then people can play several games if they want, GMs guess how many rounds the game will take and which rounds they want to run in.

Remember to keep games consice.

Anyone have any beef with this, or any better suggestions?

Edit: I have just noticed how UKitP looks dangerously close to UKIP

Ikkitosen
2007-03-27, 09:43 AM
Looks like a great plan, and relies on there being a sleepy place near the beery place. Only you know about that LR33..?

EDIT: The Clock Hotel (http://www.clockhotel.co.uk/), Beechwood Hotel (http://www.beechwoodhotelleeds.co.uk/), and Adriatic Hotel (no website) all apparently within a mile of The White House.

And yes, putting UKitP on a Union Flag may not be the most politically sensitive logo, but [self edited to remove/avoid political comment].

KuReshtin
2007-03-27, 12:39 PM
I tried to do it about 2/3 of that distance when we went to the English Heritage History Festival. God that was a Drive back...

I once did the drive from Glasgow (actually Largs, where I live) to Coventry and back over a day to go to a football league meeting.
left at home at about 5:30, got to Coventry at around 11, meting started at noon and finished at about 4, at which time I headed back north. Made it back home at about 10:30PM. And I swore to myself that I would never drive that damn car again, ever. That vow only lasted until the following morning, when I had to go to Football practice.

I'd raher not do something like that again, though.

Supagoof
2007-03-27, 01:32 PM
Alas, the stupid atlantic ocean stands in my way (well that, lacks of funds, a ton of land, and the inability to take time off work due to other vacation planning). Nevertheless, I shall raise a glass to you at that time, knowing halfway across the world you shall be dining, drinking, and having an all out god time together.

Cheers!

Eldpollard
2007-03-27, 02:00 PM
The timetable sounds good, not enough beer though, hmm I'm wondering whether to go home or find somewhere to sleep and go home the next day, even though i do only live 20 mins from Leeds.

spinningdice
2007-03-27, 02:05 PM
I'd probably have to go before Round 3, but I suppose that's the point.
Unless someone drives past the desolate wastes of Skelmanthorpe/Huddersfield on their travels.

Last_resort_33
2007-03-27, 02:21 PM
Well you can take a short diversion to Huddersfield if you're driving south on the M1. Trains do run pretty late though you know. EldP what area DO you live (if you don't mind me asking)?

Eldpollard
2007-03-27, 02:59 PM
Me? I live in Mirfield, a jolly place of drunks and chavs. But there is me at least.

potatocubed
2007-03-27, 04:06 PM
Last train to London leaves Leeds shortly after 8 pm, or so my poking around the National Rail website leads me to believe.

I'd like to stay for the full thing, but I haven't decided yet.

Last_resort_33
2007-03-27, 04:32 PM
The one that is £32 per night, for a 3 person room is The Etap Hotel (http://www.etaphotel.com/gb/home/index.shtml). I know where it is and so will any taxi driver. Not too bad for £10.66 per person

Eldpollard
2007-03-27, 04:37 PM
The one that is £32 per night, for a 3 person room is The Etap Hotel (http://www.etaphotel.com/gb/home/index.shtml). I know where it is and so will any taxi driver. Not too bad for £10.66 per person

That is a good price. So who might be going there? Because I'm willing to sharea room.

BrokenButterfly
2007-03-27, 05:45 PM
Well I've already said that I'm up for economical room-sharing. I'd rather stay for the whole thing, and not be worrying about what time I'm getting buses/trains and the like.

Charity
2007-03-28, 03:27 AM
Yuki, Archie, Jontom are you guys all staying? That is my plan, I'm quite willing to get a room on my own, or possibly share if folk are strapped for cash, we have a long way to get back so driving back on the day would be a drag, and lets face it I'm gonna want a drink or two. it prob makes sense if we all stay in the same place, but it's not essential, wadda you guys think?

Archonic Energy
2007-03-28, 05:12 AM
not fussed...
but how can i trust you not to rob me in my sleep & take my gold teeth... etc.

j/k

Charity
2007-03-28, 05:50 AM
*hiding a pair of pliers behind his back*
Of course you can trust lil old Charity.

As it goes, I tend not to sleep a whole hell of a lot, so it would be kinder for me to not share as any poor sod who shares with me will get bugger all sleep.

spinningdice
2007-03-28, 06:21 AM
I don't know what time the last Leeds-Huddersfield train is, but the last train/Bus from Hudds-Denby-Dale area is 23:00

That said might end up staying out anyway, or price up taxi fares from Huddersfield, if there's a late enough train from Leeds.

Eldpollard
2007-03-28, 09:13 AM
So can I share a room with one or two people? It will be much simpler than having to get a bus/train home on the day.

The_Librarian
2007-03-28, 03:00 PM
Takes me about 3 hours to get to Leeds apparently. The train site I usually use won't show me trains until 3 months in advance, so I'll have to wait a while before I could definitely confirm my plans, but I'm hoping to be up for the day and head back again in the evening. I can't say anything more concrete than that...

Other than I saw an episode of Spendaholics which was in Leeds and they showed the station and I might have lost interest in the actual show because I was trying to memorise landmarks.

Archonic Energy
2007-03-28, 03:13 PM
C. what's your ETA as basingstoke?

i'm rying to work out my timetable

Charity
2007-03-28, 03:55 PM
C. what's your ETA as basingstoke?

i'm rying to work out my timetable

I'm already there matey

I live 10 mins drive from basingstoke station, are you going to hop on a train down to B/stoke then?
I can prob pick you up closer to home, but of course it will be a load easier
This is the route (http://www.theaa.com/travelwatch/planner_results.jsp?displaymap=true#map) the AA advises me 3 hours 40 mins

Via london adds an hour twenty onto the journey
so six or seven in the morning (route dependant) to get there for eleven, if thats too early we can go an hour later to hit Leeds at about midday.
I might be able to grab back a bit of that journey time through excessive speeds :smallwink:

Archonic Energy
2007-03-28, 04:15 PM
ETA basingstoke stn 07:57 or 08:20
depending on me getting up.

Last_resort_33
2007-03-28, 04:57 PM
Well if you want to get much playing time, according to my map, you'll need to get as early as possible... you can always sleep in the car (not you Chaz) as if he is kind, earplugs will be provided with the blindfolds, so as to block out the screams from other passengers

Archonic Energy
2007-03-28, 05:00 PM
Sennheiser PXC300 noise canceling headphones... gotta love them.

Charity
2007-03-28, 05:20 PM
ETA basingstoke stn 07:57 or 08:20
depending on me getting up.
Thats cool Archie, I'll give you my mobile no and you can ring me about 15 mins before you get in, and i'll pick you up.
Yuki, Jontom, it will expediate matters if you guys can get there at a similar time... remind me to pm you my mobile no guys.
Don't worry LR33 we will be here fairly early, oh could you give us the post code of where we're going, it will help the routeplanner.
I shall look into hotel stuff.

Last_resort_33
2007-03-29, 02:21 AM
Ummmm Wha??? the board showed my last post as a tripple post, so I deleted one and it deleted them all!!!

It basically said. I'll navigate you to make it easy.

Up the M1

Do not take the M621 to Leeds Centre, get in one of the left two lanes to continue on the M1 North to Leeds(East) and Airport.

Take the Junction off the M1 that leads to Leeds(East) and Airport.

Turn Left at the roundabout at the top of the sliproad, towards the Airport.

you are now on the ring road, stay on the ring road, keep going over roundabouts (5 of them I think) until you come across one that crosses the A58.

Right at this roundabout should be signposted A58 (Wetherby) and Left should be signposted A58 City Centre and St. James' Hospital. Turn left (A58 City Centre)

Carry on until you see a largeish set of traffic lights, Move into the right hand lane and turn Right here.

Follow the road around. The White House should be on your right, the sign will be hidden in the trees probably. I will try and put something more obvious (like a Playgrounder with a flaming longsword through his chest) so you can see where the entrance to the white house is.

Surfer99
2007-03-29, 03:42 AM
Ok so i forgot about this thread, im coming subject to nothing really i will find a way to make it work. *aslong as the date dont change then ill have to evaluate but atm everything is open for me in july/june/august *kureshtin your going so i got a cheap ride. just fyi

KuReshtin
2007-03-29, 04:19 AM
Ok so i forgot about this thread, im coming subject to nothing really i will find a way to make it work. *aslong as the date dont change then ill have to evaluate but atm everything is open for me in july/june/august *kureshtin your going so i got a cheap ride. just fyi

Surfer, have you actually paid any attention at all to the thread so far?
I've already mentioned that i'll give you a ride on at least one occasion.

LR33, I agree with Charity that a post code to the area (or the telephone number to the place we're going to) would be pretty good to be able to slap it inot a route planner to see how long it'll take and how to get there.

Last_resort_33
2007-03-29, 04:49 AM
LS8 2JU

And surfer, you should fill in the form.

KuReshtin
2007-03-29, 04:59 AM
LS8 2JU

Much obliged. Seems as if it'll be an early morning to get down there by 11. I'm expecting a departure time of about 5:30AM.

Last_resort_33
2007-03-29, 05:36 AM
ARGH BOLLOCKS... *Scrub*
I needed to know how likely this thing was to happen before I put a deposit down. NOW, as it happens, someone has already booked that day for a wedding, the bastards.

I am going to go down to another pub over lunch and check out their function room. If it ain't skanky, I'll give em a £50 deposit... you guys better not back down on me!!!

It's called The Lord Darcy... I know, it made me cringe too.... but the upside is that we get our own bar!

BrokenButterfly
2007-03-29, 07:27 AM
Curse those love-birds and their love....

But this new place sounds even better I'd say...Hey, if the only downside's the name, then everything's looking pretty great.

Archonic Energy
2007-03-29, 10:42 AM
he he he...
*que sound of people backing out*

Last_resort_33
2007-03-29, 12:07 PM
Good evening Playgrounders. The Lord Darcy is Booked!!
LS17 8EH
I shall give you written directions when I can be bothered.

I didn't have to pay them any money, yet. I have to pay for the buffet in advance of course. The buffet is for a minimum of 25 people though. so far, there are 19 on the list. That's ok if we can eat more than they reckon is suitable (I know), but it'll cost us either £125 or £175 for the room and lunch, (that depends on many different things we want on the buffet) So, my plea is this.

Can anyone with a paypal account please help me out and pay what you can in advance. If TotalCost/No-of-guests > what you paid, I will give you the change on the day. Donate what you can, eg, you could give £10 and if it only cost £8.25 then I would give you £1.75 on the day, or buy you a drink. If you wanted to be really useful and donate £30, then I would give you £21.75 on the day after I had collected it off everyone else. I hope you get the drift.

Paypal address: [email protected]

oh... and which buffet do we want, the £5 one or the £7 one?
They seem to like their wooden panelling there...

potatocubed
2007-03-29, 01:04 PM

Cool.

a) I can eat way more than you'd think to look at me. No problems eating for two at the buffet.

b) I'll pitch you some money later. Send me a PM or something, will you? My memory's not so good, and seeing a message in my inbox will remind me.

Now I'm off to run 7th Sea. *glee*

Archonic Energy
2007-03-29, 01:33 PM
hmm maybe i should book the day off...

Charity
2007-03-29, 01:42 PM
^ might be an idea

LR33 sent some cash ok

Eldpollard
2007-03-29, 01:55 PM
I'll send some money when I've been paid, at the moment however I have 14p to my name, so how much is this expected to cost? just a rough estimate.

Last_resort_33
2007-03-29, 02:29 PM
About a tenner

cheers chaz - oh, and I can't take any more debit/credit card payments this year as I don't want a business account

Eldpollard
2007-03-29, 03:01 PM
About a tenner

cheers chaz - oh, and I can't take any more debit/credit card payments this year as I don't want a business account

so how can we get the money to you?

Archonic Energy
2007-03-29, 03:02 PM
so how can we get the money to you?

carrier pieogen

spinningdice
2007-03-29, 03:28 PM
I've got £9.46 in my paypal account... I'm happy to pass it along, though it's a strange number. Shall I just round it down to £9 or are you scraping for pennies?

Does it stop you getting money from credit cards after a point? Can't we just pay money from credit cards into paypal, and then forward you money?

Last_resort_33
2007-03-29, 03:45 PM
yes... you can... that would be what is needed... I'm not scraping for pennies, don't worry.

*gulp* what carrier pigeon? do you have a toothpick?

Eldpollard
2007-03-29, 03:53 PM
*gulp* what carrier pigeon? do you have a toothpick?

You killed my speckled jim! Sorry too much Blackadder.

KuReshtin
2007-03-29, 05:45 PM
Okay, I don't have any funds at all on my paypal account at the moment, and it'll take 7-9 days to get funds topped up to the account itself.

No other way to get the funds to you quickly, or will you take the risk of me forgettig to transfer the funds to you once they get to my account?

Last_resort_33
2007-03-30, 02:42 AM
I don't mind, I'll remind you *repeadedly pats a baseball bat into the palm of his hand* ... you could post me a cheque if you wanted though... If anybody wants to post a cheque, then PM me and I will give you my name and address.

Charity
2007-03-30, 04:53 AM
*puts on psychic hat*

I am sensing your initials are... G.. C.. P
A very fine set of initials they are too, well the first and last anyhow, the middle one leaves a little to be desired.

Surfer99
2007-03-30, 07:22 AM
LS17 8EH
<snip>
Paypal address: [email protected]

oh... and which buffet do we want, the £5 one or the £7 one?
They seem to like their wooden panelling there...

I dont care either way i gave you a little donation to get things moving by the way :)

*note this covers me and KuReshtin and whatever is left (if any) should be used to buy beer ! :D

EDIT:

About a tenner

OK maybe i should read the ENTIRE thread ... anyways if you cant accept it just cancel mine and ill ship you a check :/ not much for that but i got a checking account so if you can PM me the details requried I'll get it sorted.

Offcourse i could ship some money on to the paypal account too. .. just rarely use it so never have anything there heh.

zombie chick
2007-03-30, 07:35 AM
hello i have checked that day, im definately not working or covering, so i will be there. so you say the lord darcy, im sure i will find it somehow.
will go on paypal when i can get to a secure computer (am skiving in work to do this)
looking forward to seeing so many kindred gaming freaks

Eldpollard
2007-03-31, 12:47 PM
I'll have to set up a paypal account before sending money, and get paid of course.