PDA

View Full Version : Forge your own weapon and legend.

TheCrowing1432
2014-10-28, 01:14 AM
Ive always liked buildup and plot and roleplay in DND. Forging your own legend and story is one of my favorite things to do.

When I walk into town and people go "Theres that hero who slayed the red wyrm that was assaulting our cavans and making us send maidens to him every month"

Or "Theres the Paladin that killed The Lich of Windstorm"

Recognition, history. Its one of my all time favorite things.

But there is one aspect that never seems to work that well, and thats The Heros Weapon.

I mean there are so many heroic weapons in video games.

The Master Sword, The Blades of Chaos, Soul Caliber. The Portal Gun. Aurdil, Glamdrag, Brisingir.

The list goes on.

But in DND it never works out. You just pick up whatever is best at the time. Even if you factor in artifacts, They do, eventually get outstripped by +10 weapons.

Now 5E means to change this, what with +3 Weapons being incredibly legendary, but Im talking about 3.5.

Mundanes usually get tons of weapon profiencies, or you dip fighter to get them all, and you pick up and use whatever is the strongest "Oh ive been using a longsword for 5 levels, and the past in game 5 years, but this warhammer is stronger, somehow I know how to use it as equal as the sword ive been using since i was old enough to pick up a weapon"

Its bullcrap.

So heres the idea I was thinking of.

Weapon Attunement.

The longer you hold on to the same weapon (And I mean literally the same weapon, Like if you're attuned to a longsword, you need to use YOUR longsword, not just any longsword) The more benefits it gives you.

What benefits would it be?

-Weapon Focus/Weapon Specalization trees.

Lets face it these feats are worthless, the plus and damage bonuses are too small to use on a feat. They were meant to empathize your prowess with a weapon, which I think synchs up perfectly with my attunement idea.

As you keep using your choosen weapon, you become more skilled with it and as such become better with it then others who use similar weapon types.

-Unique Enchantments on what you do.

Did you slay a red dragon with your sword? Well thats now a flaming longsword.

Do you charge a lot? Well that lance has become volorious. Smash a bunch of zombies skulls in with a mace? Its now holy/bane against undead.

Are you a ranger? Well your weapons have now become attuned to your favored enemy.

This makes it feel like you're BUILDING a character, not just flipping through the Magic Equipment guide and picking out what you want like you're doing a grocery store list, and you're not subject to a DM's random loot generator.

+'s/-'s of your social status.

THe weapon is as part of a heros legend as his deeds. Would Link be half as remembered if the Hylian Shield and Master Sword were just random and had no real significance? Of course not.

And so it is with your weapons. The longer you're seen with it the higher your legend and social status grows.

Bonuses to Diplomacy, because what Baron wouldnt want to have the famed heros grace his dining hall?

Bonuses to Intimidate, because who would want to mess with the guys who defended the town from that Orc raiding party?

And so on.

And if you're not wearing it? Well one time Hugh Jackman went around dressed as Wolverine and people didnt recognize him.

If you're not wearing your famous weapon, you're treated as a nobody, or worse, shunned because of it.

-Possible Sentience?

Maybe your weapon has been exposed to too much magic? Maybe the gods blessed it? Who knows, but you feel as if your weapon is talking to you, you feel it reflecting your innermost desires.

Are you a hero serving some god? Maybe the weapon could be a conduit of their power allowing you to cast spells from it, and hear their voice? Are you evil? Maybe you hear words of corruption, venom and murder.

Do you pursue justice? Perhaps your longbow can guide you on the right path to tracking down that thief.

These are all just a handful of ideas, let me know what you guys think.

torrasque666
2014-10-28, 01:28 AM
Sound like a slightly less wonky version of the Weapons of Legacy bit. Or exactly like the Weapons of Legacy. I unno, I got no experience wit that system.

That being said, I love the idea of Martials having nice things.

Milo v3
2014-10-28, 01:39 AM
I've done this sort of thing with magic weapons before, granting a persons +1 longsword Corrosive after striking down a black dragon, taking the price out of the encounters allocated wealth.

Though if you just want scaling weapons, Weapons of Legacy (without the crippling penalties) or Item Familiars could work.

TheCrowing1432
2014-10-28, 01:39 AM
Sound like a slightly less wonky version of the Weapons of Legacy bit. Or exactly like the Weapons of Legacy. I unno, I got no experience wit that system.

That being said, I love the idea of Martials having nice things.

I dont know what that is, but im not surprised an Idea like this hasnt been done before.

I mean, even in game theres attempts at emulating it.

You have the Weapon Focus/Specalization lines, the Weapon Master/Exotic Weapon Master Prestige Classes and im sure a handful of others.

But all of these are too limited in their scope to be useful or cost too many resources, Im looking for an in game, built in module that could provide benefits, fluff and roleplaying.

Of course the hardcore optimizers will probably ignore this module and toss aside whatever weapon they were using before in order to use the one with the biggest plus.

I could also only see this Module working only if you were starting at levels 1-5 because beyond that, its kind of cheesy.

Just roll up a level 20 character and make up some stuff in your background that gave you the +10 vorpal, hellfire, smiting battle axe.

Without ever actually role playing it out or experiencing the thrill of forging your own legend.

TheCrowing1432
2014-10-28, 01:44 AM
I've done this sort of thing with magic weapons before, granting a persons +1 longsword Corrosive after striking down a black dragon, taking the price out of the encounters allocated wealth.

Though if you just want scaling weapons, Weapons of Legacy (without the crippling penalties) or Item Familiars could work.

I looked up Weapons of Legacy.

It doesnt have what Im looking for.

Im not talking an item that already exists in the world.

Im talking literally, you're forging this weapon from the ground up.

Like you could take a longsword from the corpse of a 1/3 cr goblin, at level 1.

And using the module i described, turn it into a weapon of Excaliber proportions.

Not a magic item that always had that potential, which is what Weapons of Legacy seem to be doing

PraxisVetli
2014-10-28, 01:45 AM
DMG II has rules about bonding a weapon, I think its called, where you can meditate over your weapon and give it powers. Seemed relevant.
also, inb4 Kensai.

Andezzar
2014-10-28, 01:56 AM
Give all those characters interested in such a weapon the Ancestral Relic feat, refluff it if they do not want a weapon handed down for generations. Not only do they now have an incentive to keep their weapon, but it is also cheaper to upgrade such a weapon (100% of the loot goes into it instead of 50%). As an added bonus the players get to chose what properties the weapon will get.

The drawback is that you are limited to the WSA published in the books. No unique stuff.

@Weapons of Legacy: While the mechanics are pretty bad the book does have a section about creating a new legacy with a hitherto normal weapon.

Milo v3
2014-10-28, 02:30 AM
I looked up Weapons of Legacy.

It doesnt have what Im looking for.

Im not talking an item that already exists in the world.

Im talking literally, you're forging this weapon from the ground up.

Like you could take a longsword from the corpse of a 1/3 cr goblin, at level 1.

And using the module i described, turn it into a weapon of Excaliber proportions.

Not a magic item that always had that potential, which is what Weapons of Legacy seem to be doing

Weapons of Legacy has rules for spontaneously making your own Weapons of Legacy as a character, with it being an ordinary weapon when you start and become custom as you do stuff with it, like slay a dragon that leads an army of kobolds to gain the ability to sense nearby dragons.