PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Where to find wild Shocker Lizards

felinoel
2014-10-28, 09:09 AM
So I just killed my party's druid's shocker lizard animal companion by accident and now the druid is upset, where can I find a family of them to replace it for her?

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/monsters/shockerLizard.html#shocker-lizard

Abd al-Azrad
2014-10-28, 09:11 AM
Warm marshes.

But I have some suspicion that, like the time your parents accidentally ran over your cat and replaced it with a different one before you got back from school, the issue isn't that your druid friend is temporarily deprived of a source of electrical damage.

felinoel
2014-10-28, 09:27 AM
Warm marshes.

But I have some suspicion that, like the time your parents accidentally ran over your cat and replaced it with a different one before you got back from school, the issue isn't that your druid friend is temporarily deprived of a source of electrical damage.Hence why I am giving her a family of them.

But where in the Pathfinder world can they be found easily?

Abd al-Azrad
2014-10-28, 09:45 AM
I recommend the Mwangi Expanse.

EDIT: Okay, trying to be a little helpful. It would probably be far safer and easier to go buy them from one of those crazy magic market kingdoms, like Katapesh.

felinoel
2014-10-28, 10:11 AM
I recommend the Mwangi Expanse.

EDIT: Okay, trying to be a little helpful. It would probably be far safer and easier to go buy them from one of those crazy magic market kingdoms, like Katapesh.

Ease is no issue when it comes to sparing the expense it would cost to get that... /:

OracleofWuffing
2014-10-28, 10:17 AM
Is it easier to find Druids we're you are? I mean, you never know, crack open enough skulls and maybe someone else already has a family of Shocker Lizards for you. :smallbiggrin:

Abd al-Azrad
2014-10-28, 10:24 AM
felinoel, you must understand that you are asking an online forum where your DM will decide to spawn a specific random encounter. Beyond the information provided in the monster's description ("Warm Marshes"), there's very little I can personally offer you that will influence this decision.

The Pathfinder campaign setting, a.k.a. Golarion or the Inner Seas, is purposely left with lots of ill-defined areas for a DM to fill in as he or she (or "Our Lord and Master" as they choose to be called) sees fit. If you want to run a quick mission to atone for an IC action, that's going to come down to your table. And frankly, you probably will want to ensure that the party druid is the PC that's front-and-centre during that adventure, rather than yours.

felinoel
2014-10-28, 12:29 PM
felinoel, you must understand that you are asking an online forum where your DM will decide to spawn a specific random encounter. Beyond the information provided in the monster's description ("Warm Marshes"), there's very little I can personally offer you that will influence this decision.

The Pathfinder campaign setting, a.k.a. Golarion or the Inner Seas, is purposely left with lots of ill-defined areas for a DM to fill in as he or she (or "Our Lord and Master" as they choose to be called) sees fit. If you want to run a quick mission to atone for an IC action, that's going to come down to your table. And frankly, you probably will want to ensure that the party druid is the PC that's front-and-centre during that adventure, rather than yours.
I am more asking what are the best places for the highest likelihood, as was said the warm marshes are where they live so then I guess where can I find the most warm marshes?

I think that is why the Mwangi Expanse was mentioned, if that is the best place to find the most warm marshes then that works perfectly since we have a Mwangi in the party and he might be interested in going.

Red Fel
2014-10-28, 12:35 PM
I am more asking what are the best places for the highest likelihood, as was said the warm marshes are where they live so then I guess where can I find the most warm marshes?

And as Abd was saying, the answer to that question is, generally, "Where the DM says you can." This isn't exactly as cut-and-dried an issue of RAW as, say, whether you can make a full attack on a charge (not generally without Pounce) or whether you can take Racial Heritage to count as an Ifrit (you can't, Ifrit is an Outsider, not a Humanoid). "Where is there a warm marsh nearby?" is a question for your DM, and only your DM can answer (1) whether there is a warm marsh, and (2) whether there are shocker lizards there.

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-28, 12:49 PM
I think you can only find wild Shocker Lizards in the Safari Zone, after you beat the Elite Four :smalltongue:

felinoel
2014-10-28, 01:38 PM
And as Abd was saying, the answer to that question is, generally, "Where the DM says you can." This isn't exactly as cut-and-dried an issue of RAW as, say, whether you can make a full attack on a charge (not generally without Pounce) or whether you can take Racial Heritage to count as an Ifrit (you can't, Ifrit is an Outsider, not a Humanoid). "Where is there a warm marsh nearby?" is a question for your DM, and only your DM can answer (1) whether there is a warm marsh, and (2) whether there are shocker lizards there.
But the world is mapped out? Shouldn't where the most warm marshes are be set in stone?

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131028053936/pathfinder/images/f/fb/Golarion.jpg

Red Fel
2014-10-28, 02:02 PM
But the world is mapped out? Shouldn't where the most warm marshes are be set in stone?

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131028053936/pathfinder/images/f/fb/Golarion.jpg

Well, you've got a map. Either it lists which areas are "warm marshes," in which case you've answered your own question, or it doesn't explicitly list them but you can infer them, in which case you've answered your own question, or it doesn't explicitly list them and you can't infer them, in which case it's DM discretion, and your question has been answered.

And even assuming the map did explicitly list "warm marshes" (such as any of the areas marked "Swamp" which might fall within a warm or tropical region) it's still DM discretion as to whether you actually find a colony of Shocker Lizards therein, let alone whether you have the resources to get there in the first place. This is all assuming that finding a bunch of new Shocker Lizards and taking them from their natural habitat will cause the Druid to forgive you for slaughtering his Shocker Lizard in the first place.

So... Yeah.

felinoel
2014-10-28, 02:36 PM
Well, you've got a map. Either it lists which areas are "warm marshes," in which case you've answered your own question, or it doesn't explicitly list them but you can infer them, in which case you've answered your own question, or it doesn't explicitly list them and you can't infer them, in which case it's DM discretion, and your question has been answered.

And even assuming the map did explicitly list "warm marshes" (such as any of the areas marked "Swamp" which might fall within a warm or tropical region) it's still DM discretion as to whether you actually find a colony of Shocker Lizards therein, let alone whether you have the resources to get there in the first place. This is all assuming that finding a bunch of new Shocker Lizards and taking them from their natural habitat will cause the Druid to forgive you for slaughtering his Shocker Lizard in the first place.

So... Yeah.Yes, everything is up to the DM, always.

I am just looking for marshes now though, we can spend an entire session traveling the entire world looking for them just fine.