PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Movement Skills: Skills that involve moving around [3e/3.5 P.E.A.C.H.]

Reality Glitch
2014-10-28, 10:06 AM
Movement Skills
New skill type: movement skills. Each corresponds to the movement mode of the same name, w/ the exceptions of Jump, which has no associated movement mode and Run, which corresponds to base land movement. The following skills are movement skills:

Burrow*
Climb
Fly*¶
Jump
Run*
Swim

*New skill presented in this Thread.
¶Skill appears in the Pathfinder RPG, but is changed in this rendition. Otherwise it works the same.

Burrow (Str; Movement Skill)
You use this skill when digging in the ground for any reason. The D.C. for Burrow checks are three times the material's hardness, and successful checks remove a 5ft. diameter hole or add 5ft. to the length of the tunnel in any direction or to the depth or size of a hole. Tool quality can modify the D.C. by anywhere from -10 to +10, while Not having the proper tolls adds +20 to the D.C. A burrow speed count as proper tools providing a +8 bonus. a creature with a burrow spee can also take 10 on the check, even if rushed, but must still make burrow checks for D.C.'s greater than 0. Burrowing w/o a burrow speed takes a number of hours per 5ft. equal to the hardness of the material you're burrowing through. Each 10 you beat the D.C. by doubles the amount of material moved or halves the time takes to burrow 5ft.

Fly (Dex; Armor Check Penalty; Gravity Check Modifier; Movement Skill)
This skill is used when doing tricky maneuvers in-flight or for faking it when you have neither a fly speed nor the ability to glide (such as while skydiving). The maneuverability class of the creature modifies the skill as follows:

Maneuverability
Modifier

Perfect
+8

Good
+4

Average
±0

Poor

Clumsy

None
±0*

*You can't you the Fly skill to fly, but can still preform mid-air tricks. The Fly skill now replaces the Freefall skill from the Dragon Star setting.

The D.M. may add other modifiers for exceptionally tricky stunts. This skill can also be used to glide. Finding thermal updrafts, prolonging a glide, and catching oneself after a fall are all examples of situations where the Fly skill is pertinent.

Run (Con; Armor Check Penalty; Movement Skill)
This skill is for making break-neck on-foot speeds. The D.M. sets the D.C. based on how difficult he or she thinks the terrain is to run across. Success, and you add the difference to how far you run that round in feet. Failure, and the difference is subtracted. Each round during a chase the pursued and pursuer make opposed checks every round, the pursuer closes in, shortening the distance if he wins, the pursued Increases the distance if she wins, and make a hide check if the normal conditions for doing so (other than movement penalties) are present.

Special: Unlike other movement skills with an associated movement mode, Run checks may be used with any movement mode. This may lead to instances where the pursued the run check can move along a vertical access while the pursuer cannot, in which case vertical distance is ignored unless it or the mode of movement itself is sufficient to alter the outcome of the chase.

Zireael
2014-11-03, 08:30 AM
Huh, nice, but that does mean e.g. birds don't have fly speed and xorns don't have burrow speed anymore?

Kamai
2014-11-03, 09:35 AM
Huh, nice, but that does mean e.g. birds don't have fly speed and xorns don't have burrow speed anymore?

If this is like the Pathfinder Fly check, the creatures still have their own speeds, the skill check just determines what sorts of tricks they can do with that speed.

Some nitpicks:
Creatures that have a burrow speed very rarely have the "proper" tools to make such a check. There needs to be a caveat just like Climb and Swim have for creatures with those speeds.

Fly's Trained Only [Sort of] is jarring. If there are parts of Fly that aren't trained only, they really should be their own subskill of fly. Otherwise, keep the things that untrained people are supposed to be capable of at DC <= 10.

Run: Imagine a situation where a human running across a river bank is trying to catch a merfolk swimming down that same river. Now, our Merfolk has a 5ft land speed, so as the rules are written, they have to use that 5ft land speed as the basis of their Run check, and cannot use their swim check, even though it's much more pertinent. I'm sure there are a lot more instances than that of creature that can fly/swim, but would be constrained to their 5 or 10ft land speeds for chases.

Also on Run, how often is a run check made? If it's every round, I'd argue with it being a Con skill instead of a Str skill since you're talking sprinting here, and have no reference to characters getting tired in such a chase.

Reality Glitch
2014-11-03, 10:26 AM
If this is like the Pathfinder Fly check, the creatures still have their own speeds, the skill check just determines what sorts of tricks they can do with that speed.That is correct.
Some nitpicks:
Creatures that have a burrow speed very rarely have the "proper" tools to make such a check. There needs to be a caveat just like Climb and Swim have for creatures with those speeds.Oh, I just assumed a burrow speed counted as the correct tool.
Fly's Trained Only [Sort of] is jarring. If there are parts of Fly that aren't trained only, they really should be their own subskill of fly. Otherwise, keep the things that untrained people are supposed to be capable of at DC <= 10.I see. I'll just make Fly usable untrained, it seemed a bit silly that it is trained only.
Run: Imagine a situation where a human running across a river bank is trying to catch a merfolk swimming down that same river. Now, our Merfolk has a 5ft land speed, so as the rules are written, they have to use that 5ft land speed as the basis of their Run check, and cannot use their swim check, even though it's much more pertinent. I'm sure there are a lot more instances than that of creature that can fly/swim, but would be constrained to their 5 or 10ft land speeds for chases.I'll need to fix that.
Also on Run, how often is a run check made? If it's every round, I'd argue with it being a Con skill instead of a Str skill since you're talking sprinting here, and have no reference to characters getting tired in such a chase.Oops, I that I said it was every round; I'll fix that.

jqavins
2014-11-03, 12:07 PM
Burrow (Str; Movement Skill)
You use this skill when digging in the ground for any reason. The D.C. for Burrow checks are three times the material's hardness, and successful checks remove a 5ft. diameter hole or add 5ft. to the length of the tunnel in any direction or to the depth or size of a hole. Tool quality can modify the D.C. by anywhere from -10 to +10, while Not having the proper tolls adds +20 to the D.C. A burrow speed count as proper tools providing a +8 bonus. a creature with a burrow spee can also take 10 on the check, even if rushed, but must still make burrow checks for D.C.'s greater than 0. Burrowing w/o a burrow speed takes a number of hours per 5ft. equal to the hardness of the material you're burrowing through. Each 10 you beat the D.C. by doubles the amount of material moved or halves the time takes to burrow 5ft.
This doesn't read like a movement skill at all, but more like a construction skill that should be called "Dig." I should think a "Burrow" movement skill would be about crawling or wriggling through tight spaces, like tunnels that have already been dug out; that is, about the actual movement. Thus, a chipmunk uses his natural ability at this skill to create his home (yes, it's called a burrow, and making it is called burrowing, so my vocabulary isn't perfect either) and a movement skill to dash into it fast enough to get away from the predator chasing him.

Also, I second Kamai's comment about Run; I think it ought to be Con based if it's for distance, and Str if for sprinting; perhaps two different skills - Con based Run for distance and Str based Sprint - would be in order. They'd each provide a potential synergy bonus to the other.

Reality Glitch
2014-11-03, 03:03 PM
I based the Burrow skill on the act that the burrowing movement mode is the very act of creating the tunnel it moves through, thus way a lot say that the hole fills back up behind the burrower.