PDA

View Full Version : Beast = Monstrosities ?

Maxilian
2014-10-28, 11:39 AM
Are Monstrosities also Beasts? i mean... in the MM the Owlbear is seen as a Monstrosity and not a Beast, but in PF it was a Beast and even in the MM it says that Owlbears are trained as mounts and companions (they are hard to train), so... could a Ranger tame a Monstrosity (maybe the Ranger could expend more time training it before having it as a companion)? also could a character that use polymorph or a druid using wild shape could transform into a Monstrosity (having in mind the limitations in CR for those cases) ?

Demonic Spoon
2014-10-28, 11:42 AM
Pathfinder isn't even a WotC project, and it's still based on a separate edition of D&D - nothing in 3.5e or Pathfinder has any rules-weight in 5e.

That said, RAW, no. As a DM, I'd probably allow druids to wildshape into a specific subset of monstrosities that are more animals than not.

Maxilian
2014-10-28, 11:53 AM
Pathfinder isn't even a WotC project, and it's still based on a separate edition of D&D - nothing in 3.5e or Pathfinder has any rules-weight in 5e.

That said, RAW, no. As a DM, I'd probably allow druids to wildshape into a specific subset of monstrosities that are more animals than not.

I know, but even in 5th edition, many monstrosities have a part in their descriptions that said that they are used as mount and/or companions, or are described as beasts even if they are monstrosities, that's why i ask :smallconfused:

TheOOB
2014-10-29, 12:49 AM
I know, but even in 5th edition, many monstrosities have a part in their descriptions that said that they are used as mount and/or companions, or are described as beasts even if they are monstrosities, that's why i ask :smallconfused:

A beast is a natural mundane animal from whatever world you are in that has no supernatural abilities. A monstrosity is a catchall term for creatures who don't fit into another catagory, and are often the result of magic. You can totally train an owlbear if you get to it early enough, but being a magical abomination it lacks the connection to nature neccesary for it to be influenced by druidic and ranger magics.

rollingForInit
2014-10-29, 02:30 AM
You could probably train (convince) a dragon to act as a mount. It's still a dragon, not a beast. I bet you could have a demon for a mount as well. Or any creature, really. Beasts are just natural creatures, not magical or supernatural ones.

BranMan
2014-10-29, 09:42 AM
In this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?380438-Rust-Monster-Animal-Companion) thread we're talking about a Rust Monster, which is a monstrosity, as an animal companion. They definitely have differences and aren't the same by RAW, but by blurring the lines there's a lot of fun to be had :smallsmile: