PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Snowbluff wants to do something weird.

Snowbluff
2014-10-28, 12:41 PM
I need a newer, weirder character concept.

malonkey1
2014-10-28, 12:43 PM
An urban druid raised by pigeons who uses the fighting prowess of the mighty city bird, the pigeon, to defeat his enemies.

Red Fel
2014-10-28, 12:49 PM
Take a peek at this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?361628-Collateral-Damage-Man). Pick something from there. Anything, really. They all make a nice, pretty boom.

Alternatively, take a concept and turn it on its head. Get a Warforged with Adamantine Body, and grab a class that loses features while wearing armor. (A Warforged in composite plating is treated as wearing armor.) Get a Tibbit and take two levels of CE Soulborn. (I always love that one. Nose boop = Face crunch.) Make an Illumian brawler or a Kobold Barbarian. (I have fond memories of a friend who played a Kobold Barbarian. It was glorious.)

It's possible to optimize the unoptimized. What's fun about it is taking the concept that should not work and ramming that square peg into the round hole. And then enjoying the crap out of the brain-damaged character that results. ("Yes, I want to play a Wild Elf Fire Wizard with a deep-seated hatred for plant life! What of it?")

Also, consider an Ironsoul Forgemaster. They need more love.

PraxisVetli
2014-10-28, 01:04 PM
Barbarian/Warblade/Bloodstorm Blade.
THROW CROSSBOWS.

Red Fel
2014-10-28, 01:07 PM
THROW CROSSBOWS.

Team up with another PC. Persuade him to play a Warforged with Adamantine Body. Play a Hulking Hurler. Fastball Special. And only Fastball Special.

Venger
2014-10-28, 01:22 PM
use a method of your choice to optimize your sleight of hand check. take master pickpocket to cut the penalty for free action SoH to -10.

put the dangerous substance of your choice (preferably explosive, such as ditherbombs, blast disks, or great scorcher traps) on your target's person in any quantity you like (since you can take NI free actions/round)

walk away to a neighborhood sidewalk cafe some time within the next round or two.

laugh.

The Reverse Pickpocket.

Snowbluff
2014-10-28, 01:55 PM
I think Pidgeon Drood will be my next character. :p

Take a peek at this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?361628-Collateral-Damage-Man). Pick something from there. Anything, really. They all make a nice, pretty boom.

Alternatively, take a concept and turn it on its head. Get a Warforged with Adamantine Body, and grab a class that loses features while wearing armor. (A Warforged in composite plating is treated as wearing armor.) Get a Tibbit and take two levels of CE Soulborn. (I always love that one. Nose boop = Face crunch.) Make an Illumian brawler or a Kobold Barbarian. (I have fond memories of a friend who played a Kobold Barbarian. It was glorious.)

It's possible to optimize the unoptimized. What's fun about it is taking the concept that should not work and ramming that square peg into the round hole. And then enjoying the crap out of the brain-damaged character that results. ("Yes, I want to play a Wild Elf Fire Wizard with a deep-seated hatred for plant life! What of it?")

Also, consider an Ironsoul Forgemaster. They need more love.
The tornado trick looks funny. It kind of reminds of the Nosomatic Chiurgeon that would make dragon breath out of invocation uses. :smalltongue:

Optimizing the unoptimized is how I get through my games with normal people.

THROW CROSSBOWS.
This is the only option.

use a method of your choice to optimize your sleight of hand check. take master pickpocket to cut the penalty for free action SoH to -10.

put the dangerous substance of your choice (preferably explosive, such as ditherbombs, blast disks, or great scorcher traps) on your target's person in any quantity you like (since you can take NI free actions/round)

walk away to a neighborhood sidewalk cafe some time within the next round or two.

laugh.

The Reverse Pickpocket.
"When you're finished, the audience will applaud you! Ahaha!"

Telok
2014-10-28, 02:54 PM
I've been trying to work out a build for a brute druid and his companion, Mittens the Destroyer.

It turns out that a druid doesn't need spells to be a combat brute, although being able to cast first and second level spells is really helpful. So the idea was to take someone with high physical stats and a 12 wisdom and be a fighter++. The side salad of silly super slaughter surprise was to take something like a kitten as your companion and get it to mow down enemies like a tiger.
Companion spellbond, a Beastmaster dip, and... I don't know what after that. The character will two hand a great club or quarterstaff with shilleigh and brambles while channeling spells to the companion. Under this build wildshape isn't a focus, unless you can find a way to use it to help your companion. Probably pick up one of the wild feats that lets you burn wildshape uses for buffs.

The biggest issue I'm having is trying to find a tiny animal with more than a three strength.

Gemini476
2014-10-28, 03:01 PM
Alright.

Books needed: Monsters of Faerun, Dungeon Master's Guide II, Dungeonscape

Take a Hairy Spider, from MoF. According to the 3.5 update (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20040313a), it has LA+0 (but Int -).
Make it a Skitterhaunt (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20021123a). It is now an Ooze. Unspecified LA in templates defaults to LA+0 because of unfortunate rules wording; usually this can get pretty abusable, but what we're doing here is so low-power that I'd allow it if I were GMing.
Make it a Sentry Ooze, from Dungeonscape. It now has Int 2. Note that you need Int 3 to be a PC. Again, unspecified LA so it defaults to 'as base creature' or however the wording is.
Give it the Progidy(Int) template from DMG2. It adds +2 to Int and LA+2. Alternatively, grab the Dark template from Dragon 306 to make that LA+1 instead.
Choose a somewhat NAD/Con-SAD non-melee class. I'd suggest the Dragonfire Adept if only because you can shoot lines of fire that are wider than you are.
Have a fun time playing as a fine Ooze.

Not optimal by any means, although you can do some weird body snatching with Skitterhaunt. Mostly just a fun and weird race.

sakuuya
2014-10-28, 03:57 PM
Alright.

Books needed: Monsters of Faerun, Dungeon Master's Guide II, Dungeonscape

Take a Hairy Spider, from MoF. According to the 3.5 update (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20040313a), it has LA+0 (but Int -).
Make it a Skitterhaunt (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20021123a). It is now an Ooze. Unspecified LA in templates defaults to LA+0 because of unfortunate rules wording; usually this can get pretty abusable, but what we're doing here is so low-power that I'd allow it if I were GMing.
Make it a Sentry Ooze, from Dungeonscape. It now has Int 2. Note that you need Int 3 to be a PC. Again, unspecified LA so it defaults to 'as base creature' or however the wording is.
Give it the Progidy(Int) template from DMG2. It adds +2 to Int and LA+2. Alternatively, grab the Dark template from Dragon 306 to make that LA+1 instead.
Choose a somewhat NAD/Con-SAD non-melee class. I'd suggest the Dragonfire Adept if only because you can shoot lines of fire that are wider than you are.
Have a fun time playing as a fine Ooze.

Not optimal by any means, although you can do some weird body snatching with Skitterhaunt. Mostly just a fun and weird race.

Where is the ambiguous template rule that unlisted LA defaults to LA +0? I've always been under the impression that unlisted LA defaulted to LA --. I've also always wanted to try out this template chain, but I didn't think it was legal.

torrasque666
2014-10-28, 04:08 PM
Its likely because most "Creating X Creature" sections in templates specify that only the following changes​ are made to the creature. Without listing an LA, it implies that LA doesn't change.

Gemini476
2014-10-28, 04:27 PM
Where is the ambiguous template rule that unlisted LA defaults to LA +0? I've always been under the impression that unlisted LA defaulted to LA --. I've also always wanted to try out this template chain, but I didn't think it was legal.

Unlisted LA for races defaults to LA:-. Templates, however?

Reading A Template (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#readingATemplate) A template’s description provides a set of instructions for altering an existing creature, known as the base creature. The changes that a template might cause to each line of a creature’s statistics block are discussed below. Generally, if a template does not cause a change to a certain statistic, that entry is missing from the template description. For clarity, the entry for a statistic or attribute that is not changed is sometimes given as "Same as the base creature."

It's a simple and useful rule, since it stops them from having to list every single thing that goes unchanged in every single template they publish.

When "Level Adjustment:" is one of those statistics, though? That's when you get weird stuff happening.

Luckily as far as I know there aren't all that many LA-less templates out there that are abusable.

Irk
2014-10-28, 04:43 PM
Optimizing the unoptimized is how I get through my games with normal people.

I do this as well, it's the most fun. I also like the Pijen Drood suggestion. Grab Bind Vestige: Malphus for Pijen scouting.

Also, what's the Nosomatic Chiurgeon trick?

WhamBamSam
2014-10-28, 04:51 PM
If you go through the Hairy Spider rigamarole, you should at least work in Alter Self somehow and maybe a size increase as well, since you'd be limited to Small Oozes with tiny size. Maybe some manner of Tash PsyWar with a bit of Tattooed Monk or something. Actually, seeing as Thrall of Juiblex's Alter Self is at will you can probably just springboard up to whatever size category you need to reach. How about Champion of the Wild Wildshape Ranger 5/Thrall of Juiblex 4/WarbladeX/PsyWar Y, focusing on using Cheetah's Sprint (a Wild feat of all things) and Quicksilver Motion or Hustle or whatever to run around at high speeds as a Gelatinous Cube engulfing people? EDIT: Nevermind. Doesn't work on account of not getting Ex abilities from Alter Self, and also the Engulf save DC is Str based, which is bad. Oh well. There ought to be something.

On a different note, I really like building around the Area Attack feat in Savage Species. One that I've been playing around with lately is Mulan Human Sha'ir 5/Ordained Champion 3/Sacred Exorcist 1/Bone Knight 10/Sha'ir +1. Sha'ir are Divine Spellcasters, so they can progress their casting with the relevant PrCs, but you need Southern Magician to cast Magic Weapon as Divine. Use Brilliant Blade on your random piece of giant junk so you can ignore non-living things (like your legion of undead) as you swing away with Area Attack, which carries channeled spells thanks to Ordained Champion. Since you're too big to ride in your Area Attacking Polymorphed form, and spell chanelling takes a move action, use Travel Devotion to run around. Alternately, go Naenhoon Illumian for Persisted Draconic Polymorph. Mulan Human Sha'ir 4/Ordained Champ 3/Walker in the Waste 10/Sha'ir +3 does similar things with both undead and construct servants that you can ignore in your Attacks and gets to be a Lich, but loses one more CL and loses the turning pool.

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-28, 04:52 PM
Luckily as far as I know there aren't all that many LA-less templates out there that are abusable.

The Mumia from Ghostwalk is... sort of abusable, and has no listed LA. All of their natural attacks deal 2 points of Constitution drain (fortitude negates, DC 10+[1/2 HD]+Cha), and they get +3 natural armor and +2 turn resistance. The weird thing, though, is that racial hit dice become d12s but class-level-derived HD are explicitly unchanged. So you'll be squishy unless you can somehow get Cha to HD.

SiuiS
2014-10-28, 04:54 PM
Be a halfling or gnome (or other small fry) frenzied berserker totem rager. Get leadership. Your cohort is a Goliath proficient in improvised weapons.

Be the large, brooding man who walks around with a massive stake, with a halfling tied at the end. In combat, pull the chain to remove the halfling's face mask and mittens, and swing the furious rabid halfling at them as your weapon.

With spirit lion totem barbarian, a chain instead of a stake, and the right feats, the halfling technically charges when the Goliath tosses him far enough, getting the totemist's full slew of natural attacks.

THROW CROSSBOWS.

You have revived the tradition of the SWORDSPLOSION!!! (http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/SWORDSPLOSION!!!) and made my day. Thank you, kind Internet patron.

laugh.

The Reverse Pickpocket.

OMC yes.

"I have filled your pants with jam."
"And?"
"And your pockets with fire ants."
"...oh."

Venger
2014-10-28, 04:58 PM
OMC yes.

"I have filled your pants with jam."
"And?"
"And your pockets with fire ants."
"...oh."

The beauty of the Reverse Pickpocket is that your imagination's really the limit.

Bluydee
2014-10-28, 05:00 PM
Play a dragonborn jermlaine. Be a druid focused on shapeshifting and go into MoMF. Always stay in kobold form. Pick leadership and make all your follower kobold warriors. Now you're a ratty dragon thing that pretends to be a slightly bigger ratty dragon thing to lead a bunch of ratty dragon things. Never change out of your kobold form, and always go in melee with a spear. Who needs to shapeshift when you can be a kobold?

Snowbluff
2014-10-28, 08:46 PM
I do this as well, it's the most fun. I also like the Pijen Drood suggestion. Grab Bind Vestige: Malphus for Pijen scouting.

Also, what's the Nosomatic Chiurgeon trick?

Draconic Invocation is an SLA (there is a lesser one that is 6th level).
Nosomatic Chirurgeon makes that into an inflict spell.
Then I think it was Draconic Breath (feat). It's iffy, since I think the feat calls out a spell slot. I picked it up on the Fun Find threads on Minmax, and IDR how they finagled it. Steps one and 2 still work, for a Inflict Critical Wounds and Mass Inflict Moderate Wounds.

As for drood, Malphus would be much pijen.

I should play a spider sometime. I've always considered the no LA thing iffy. As a RAWrior, I must support this. :smallbiggrin:

Thiyr
2014-10-28, 08:50 PM
You have revived the tradition of the SWORDSPLOSION!!! (http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/SWORDSPLOSION!!!) and made my day. Thank you, kind Internet patron.

Wouldn't Swordsplosion be a Splitting Explosive Shortbow ('cause shotgun) that you use to shoot swords? Because 97% of life on the material plane isn't exploding right now. That's BULL****! BUY TORGUE.

I mean...Uh...Hi.

As far as other weird character ideas, I'm always gonna toss out the Crabificer. Still need to do that myself. An artificer who's dedicated solely to making and tricking out an apparatus of the crab, making it the single greatest crustacean-themed amphibious assault tank ever. Bonus points if you're a warforged and you never leave your crabsuit. IRON CRAB. Build in some spell turrets for extra offence (My idea was putting them on effigy sparrows, turn my crab into a carrier and allow me to aim them a bit better.) Maybe figure out a way to put on automated repeating crossbows or something. Add in a jetpack. Whatever, go wild, you're in a giant crabsuit, nothing's gonna stop you.

Double bonus points if you name yourself Washu.

Also, I seem to remember a build that used bloodstorm blade to throw tigers instead of normal things, so you'd throw big jungle cats at people, they'd maul some faces, and then they'd return to your hand to be thrown again. If you're starting at low levels, throw housecats! As someone who's had a house cat thrown at him, it is not a pleasant experience for anyone involved, cat included.

Aegis013
2014-10-28, 10:20 PM
I really like the idea of the Thirsty Bear (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=10brp119de5m5mun6luevp03i4&topic=10132.msg192957#msg192957), just ctrl+f it. It uses Elemental Scion of Zilmargo and Barbarian with Bear Warrior to turn into an invulnerable rampaging water elemental bear.

KingAtomsk
2014-10-29, 10:53 AM
THROW CROSSBOWS.

Check my sig. Burt Macklin throws whips at people and steals their weapons (level 3 feat is supposed to be Point Blank Shot)

Snowbluff
2014-10-29, 11:10 AM
Wouldn't Swordsplosion be a Splitting Explosive Shortbow ('cause shotgun) that you use to shoot swords? Because 97% of life on the material plane isn't exploding right now. That's BULL****! BUY TORGUE.

I mean...Uh...Hi.

As far as other weird character ideas, I'm always gonna toss out the Crabificer. Still need to do that myself. An artificer who's dedicated solely to making and tricking out an apparatus of the crab, making it the single greatest crustacean-themed amphibious assault tank ever. Bonus points if you're a warforged and you never leave your crabsuit. IRON CRAB. Build in some spell turrets for extra offence (My idea was putting them on effigy sparrows, turn my crab into a carrier and allow me to aim them a bit better.) Maybe figure out a way to put on automated repeating crossbows or something. Add in a jetpack. Whatever, go wild, you're in a giant crabsuit, nothing's gonna stop you.

Double bonus points if you name yourself Washu.

Also, I seem to remember a build that used bloodstorm blade to throw tigers instead of normal things, so you'd throw big jungle cats at people, they'd maul some faces, and then they'd return to your hand to be thrown again. If you're starting at low levels, throw housecats! As someone who's had a house cat thrown at him, it is not a pleasant experience for anyone involved, cat included. Another thing I've always wanted to do was the hordeificer.

Would I need anything to throw a kitty?

I really like the idea of the Thirsty Bear (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=10brp119de5m5mun6luevp03i4&topic=10132.msg192957#msg192957), just ctrl+f it. It uses Elemental Scion of Zilmargo and Barbarian with Bear Warrior to turn into an invulnerable rampaging water elemental bear.... what? That is certainly bizzare. I wonder how I can expand it.

Check my sig. Burt Macklin throws whips at people and steals their weapons (level 3 feat is supposed to be Point Blank Shot)I thought he was an FBI agent...

Inevitability
2014-10-29, 11:12 AM
Human + Divine Minion + Aberration Wildshape = Play whatever wacky aberration you want to play.

A spell component pouch abusing character could also be fun.

EDIT: Okay, this one's great.

1. Be a 'half-human or human-descended race'. Take Human Heritage.

2. Apply the Symbiotic template to your character, paired with whatever creature you like. Depending on your interpretation of the rules, Human Heritage changes your type back to Humanoid.

3. Rinse, repeat.

4. ????

5. Profit!

Seriously, you are a human with a bunch of random animals, plants, and vermin dangling from him. How weird is that? Works best in gestalt for obvious reasons.

Snowbluff
2014-10-29, 11:16 AM
I'm wondering how I will weaponize pijen drood.

Human + Divine Minion + Aberration Wildshape = Play whatever wacky aberration you want to play.
I've done this! I was a wildshape ranger that became a thingy with a lot of tentacles. :smalltongue:

Thiyr
2014-10-29, 12:40 PM
Another thing I've always wanted to do was the hordeificer.

Would I need anything to throw a kitty?

Well, I found a thread on the subject (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?160262-3-5-I-wanted-to-throw-tigers) that may be of use. From there, biggest things are that you need levels in bloodstorm blade (to throw anything and get that extra-good free returning), and you need a tiger. And you need to train the tiger to have the battle jump feat, so the tiger can maul the opponent.

nedz
2014-10-29, 01:33 PM
Play a Healer - single classed.
Pretend that you are the DM's girlfriend.

daremetoidareyo
2014-10-29, 01:44 PM
Shield fighter to the max! A guy who walks around with two shields, dual wielding them to devastating effect. No weapons other than shields.

human fighter2 /psychic warrior2/human paragon3/other wild and crazy stuff (master of unseen hand eventually)

with two flaws, 1st level: shield specialization, improved shield bash, two weapon fighting, active shield defense, two weapon defense
2nd level: parrying shield
3rd:shield mate, focused shield
4th:shied charge

Curmudgeon
2014-10-29, 04:52 PM
Invisibility is only broken if you attack an enemy. However, placing items on an enemy's person using Sleight of Hand isn't attacking. The item I like is a bit of parchment with Explosive Runes written on it, folded to hide the Rune, and then used as the target of a Silence spell. Sneak that into someone's pocket. When they determine that they're unable to speak or cast a spell with a verbal component they'll go looking for the source. When they find the piece of parchment with Silence cast on it, they'll inevitably open it up and find the other spell. :smallbiggrin:

Snowbluff
2014-10-29, 05:40 PM
Well, I found a thread on the subject (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?160262-3-5-I-wanted-to-throw-tigers) that may be of use. From there, biggest things are that you need levels in bloodstorm blade (to throw anything and get that extra-good free returning), and you need a tiger. And you need to train the tiger to have the battle jump feat, so the tiger can maul the opponent. Interesting.

Play a Healer - single classed.
Pretend that you are the DM's girlfriend. Corrupt spells, brah! :smalltongue:

Shield fighter to the max! A guy who walks around with two shields, dual wielding them to devastating effect. No weapons other than shields.

human fighter2 /psychic warrior2/human paragon3/other wild and crazy stuff (master of unseen hand eventually)

with two flaws, 1st level: shield specialization, improved shield bash, two weapon fighting, active shield defense, two weapon defense
2nd level: parrying shield
3rd:shield mate, focused shield
4th:shied charge
Smack smack smack! Shield slam would be cool. Daze on a shield charge.

Invisibility is only broken if you attack an enemy. However, placing items on an enemy's person using Sleight of Hand isn't attacking. The item I like is a bit of parchment with Explosive Runes written on it, folded to hide the Rune, and then used as the target of a Silence spell. Sneak that into someone's pocket. When they determine that they're unable to speak or cast a spell with a verbal component they'll go looking for the source. When they find the piece of parchment with Silence cast on it, they'll inevitably open it up and find the other spell. :smallbiggrin:
o.o I condone this. :smallbiggrin:

Venger
2014-10-29, 05:41 PM
whoa, curmudgeon likes my idea. awesome. factotum into combat trapsmith will give you most of the tools to do the Reverse Pickpocket. perhaps pick up a splash of exemplar later on if you feel so inclined.

Snowbluff
2014-10-29, 05:47 PM
I wonder if you can reverse pick pocket cursed versions of people's equipment.

Venger
2014-10-29, 06:02 PM
I wonder if you can reverse pick pocket cursed versions of people's equipment.

You can take anything the character
has on his or her person provided it is not held in
hand.

Yes. Yes you can. Such is the beauty of the Reverse Pickpocket.

NightbringerGGZ
2014-10-29, 08:19 PM
If Pathfinder is available, I'm building Simon from Yoggscast via the Kineticist right now.

Snowbluff
2014-10-29, 08:45 PM
We should make "(someone) wants to do something weird our fun finds thread on GitP.