PDA

View Full Version : Using drugs as poisons -

Denver
2014-10-28, 02:12 PM
This seems like a more simple question than it is, but I was searching for a clear-cut answer and couldn't find one.

If a PC (or NPC) wished to use a drug as a poison, then the drug essentially becomes a poison which has to enter the body by the described route and requires the DC save as normal, correct?

I guess some technical questions could revolve around what constitutes a "dose," and if drugs which require the "Injury" route (which is only Luhix, I believe) could be applied to a blade for a poisoned attack?
If the blade is an acceptable delivery route for the "drug-poison," then, provided the victim fails their DC save, do the initial and secondary effects happen just as they would for a self-administered drug?

Of course, I could also see the slippery slope of allowing drugs as poisons so easily. A character could walk to the fire in the inn and throw a large sum of Dreammist onto the fire, which promptly forces everyone in that room to make a save or take a potentially lethal amount CON damage.

Thoughts? Has this already been more extensively covered in another location? Any help would be appreciated.
This question probably is probably more straightforward than I imagine, but you never know.

Cheers!

Xuldarinar
2014-10-28, 03:05 PM
Unless it is addressed elsewhere, I would have to say you could use them as such. I don't see any problems with trying to do such a thing. The PC (or NPC) in question is drugging people rather than poisoning people, but the goal is ultimately the same. IIRC, don't drugs fall under similar rules to poisons anyways?

animewatcha
2014-10-28, 03:09 PM
This seems like a more simple question than it is, but I was searching for a clear-cut answer and couldn't find one.

If a PC (or NPC) wished to use a drug as a poison, then the drug essentially becomes a poison which has to enter the body by the described route and requires the DC save as normal, correct?

I guess some technical questions could revolve around what constitutes a "dose," and if drugs which require the "Injury" route (which is only Luhix, I believe) could be applied to a blade for a poisoned attack?
If the blade is an acceptable delivery route for the "drug-poison," then, provided the victim fails their DC save, do the initial and secondary effects happen just as they would for a self-administered drug?

Of course, I could also see the slippery slope of allowing drugs as poisons so easily. A character could walk to the fire in the inn and throw a large sum of Dreammist onto the fire, which promptly forces everyone in that room to make a save or take a potentially lethal amount CON damage.

Thoughts? Has this already been more extensively covered in another location? Any help would be appreciated.
This question probably is probably more straightforward than I imagine, but you never know.

Cheers!

Dreammist???

Anyway, injury poison-drug. The TV show Sleepy Hollow did a perfect way to execute injury poison-drug recently. Pricking finger on a pen to cause it to bleed ( An easy oops until too late. Have a delayed start of the poison of course ).

lytokk
2014-10-28, 03:15 PM
Aren't most drugs considered poisons? Medically speaking and actually in game mechanics? I wouldn't see why using them as poisons would result in anything more game breaking than using actual poisons as poisons. Hell, spiking someone's food with a hallucinogen would be a nice cheap, yet unpredictable, illusion spell.

Denver
2014-10-28, 03:23 PM
Drugs *are* described as poisons from a mechanical description, yes, which is why I feel so foolish asking these questions. But, I've never been in a setting that (to my knowledge) had drugs in them, so I just want to make sure there aren't any technicalities or unpredictable game mechanics or interactions that one should be aware of.

Appreciate the replies guys, thanks!

edit for clarity.