PDA

View Full Version : How much damage does a Goblin do?

Kyutaru
2014-10-28, 03:50 PM
The rules for grappling are interesting. I'm looking at expanding their usage a bit.

Say the barbarian picks up a goblin. Then starts swinging that goblin at his goblin friends. How much damage could he reasonably get out of it? And how many rounds would this "weapon" last before the bones were no good anymore? How much damage does the weapon itself take each round??

MaxWilson
2014-10-28, 04:06 PM
IIRC improvised weapons are 1d4.

Galen
2014-10-28, 04:15 PM
This is straight from the book

Goblin -- (no listed price), 1d4 bludgeoning, 40 lb, Heavy, Two Handed, Thrown (range 10/20)
Special:

The Goblin is an improvised weapon. A character does not add his or her proficiency bonus attacking with a Goblin.
Add the Goblin's weight to the total weight of the character's equipment. Refer to Encumbrance rules, which may possibly apply disadvantage on the attack roll.

Kyutaru
2014-10-28, 04:19 PM
Okay, that only covers the damage it deals. Now how much damage would the goblin receive being used as a living club? And how many rounds could you keep swinging with it before it "breaks"?

Galen
2014-10-28, 04:24 PM
Unfortunately, there are no rules for weapons breaking in 5E. You'll have to <:smallcool:> improvise.

Slipperychicken
2014-10-28, 08:04 PM
Okay, that only covers the damage it deals. Now how much damage would the goblin receive being used as a living club? And how many rounds could you keep swinging with it before it "breaks"?

I'd imagine that a goblin used in melee would take the same damage as the wielder dealt. If the wielder misses, it still takes 1d6 because it's being swung around like a club. Maybe the goblin could get a DC [8+wielder's strength+weilder's proficiency] dex save per attack to halve the damage to itself?

At range, I'm tempted to say falling damage or the damage rolled, whichever is higher.

I'd also say the goblin "breaks" once it takes twice its maximum hp in damage.

Tenmujiin
2014-10-29, 01:18 PM
I believe that the improvised weapons rules in 5e state that it does the damage of the equivalent actual weapon. This means that a ClublinTM would deal 1d4 damage, would not add proficiency and could be Shillelaghed.

On a related note this means that the party rogue would deal 1d8 damage when the barbarian catches him stealing an extra share of the party gold.

Slipperychicken's rules seem like they would model the effects of being used as a club quite well.

Edit: Take the tavern brawler feat to gain proficiency with your rogue.