PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerers Divine favored soul hack.

CyberThread
2014-10-28, 07:24 PM
So this is a very rough idea not a fully blow idea. Leaking heavily on style from other things.

Sorcerers origins: Some sort of divine or infernal mommy or daddy.

Level one abilities gain.
Replace sorc list with cleric list. Cast as divine magic.
Gain dad's favored weapon as something you can use.
Gain one of the outsider based languages. Divine armor 13+dex ac.

6th

Empowered affinity. Add Cha damage to either radient or necrotic damage chose only one. Use a metamagic point to gain resistance to either type for an hour.

Gain one domains spelllist added to spells known.

14th. Gain wings as a favored soul is historically known

18th. Spending 5 sorcerers points you activate your heritages full weight of power. You create a 60 foot aura centered on yourself for one minute creating two effects.

Those you perceive as allies roll a 1d4. While within the aura all saving checks and attack rolls gain this result as a bonus.

Those that you perceive as foes roll a 1d4. While in range of the aura all saving throws and attack rolls suffer. Losing the amount based on the result rolled.

This ability does not require concentration and works within a antimagic field.

I have not vouched the balance of this all. Considering what boon or disadvantage it would be to have a different spell list.

I found it somewhat elegant how little you could change a draconian heritage sorcerers to gain such a different character type.

This was a project that grew out of my refluffing efforts.

Edit: any cleric spells that use wisdom stat to hit or cause extra damage uses charisma instead.

Easy_Lee
2014-10-28, 07:36 PM
In D&D online, favored souls had patron limitations depending on race choice and some pretty decent melee abilities if they went with the greasword patron. Might be a good source of inspiraiton (http://ddowiki.com/page/Favored_Soul).

CyberThread
2014-10-28, 07:51 PM
That would reach way outside the bounds ofthis exercise

XmonkTad
2014-10-28, 08:15 PM
Haven't looked too hard at this, but a few things jump out.
First, one of the strengths of the old favored soul was its armour. So you might want to tack that on. The 13+dex is good, but comes late.
Second, sacred flame is your only blast cantrip. That's fine, since you're giving them weapon proficiency. But it does mean they're hungry for another stat.
Third, cleric spells with metamagic. This is great, and I don't see any problems with it.

CyberThread
2014-10-28, 09:24 PM
Second, sacred flame is your only blast cantrip. That's fine, since you're giving them weapon proficiency. But it does mean they're hungry for another stat.
Third, cleric spells with metamagic. This is great, and I don't see any problems with it.

Dragon sorc gets this same ability although way earlier. What do you mean extra stat?

Abithrios
2014-10-28, 10:50 PM
Dragon sorc gets this same ability although way earlier.

Do any of the published classes get their ac replacement formulae later than level 1? (armor proficiency, unarmored defense, mage armor, etc)

CyberThread
2014-10-28, 10:59 PM
Monk and druid. Maybe that can be level 3 instead of 6?

Abithrios
2014-10-28, 11:26 PM
Monk and druid. Maybe that can be level 3 instead of 6?

Monks get unarmored defense at level 1. Druids get armor proficiency at level 1. Wildshape and high dex+wis come later, but so does plate armor for the fighter and high dex for the dragon sorcerer. Is there something else I am missing?

Maxilian
2014-10-28, 11:27 PM
Dragon sorc gets this same ability although way earlier. What do you mean extra stat?

That will need to get a good STR or DEX (if the favored weapon is finesse) if you want to actually be able to do damage (in case you go with divine magic) cause the only blast cantrid they have is sacred flame.

CyberThread
2014-10-28, 11:39 PM
Guess I was iffy due to first level benefits I was heaping on

LTwerewolf
2014-10-28, 11:59 PM
Why not favored weapon or language at a later level?

As for the last effect, what about every 4th or 5th spell cast gain either a bane or bless effect (depending on alignment, like 3.5 clerics).

CyberThread
2014-10-29, 12:05 PM
Swapped spell list bonus and armor. Acceptable?

An while I agree with what you are saying about such a thing. So are the exchanges for fully switching out a spell list. You also gain the benefits of healing and various utility spells that a sorcerers usually don't have.

Something that is trying to emulate an entireclass while staying within a sorcerers class structure. The spellist choice just by itself pushes you out of the normal blaster/charmer archetype arcane sorcers are already good at.

Now I like the bane/bless idea but am going to supercharge it as it is a level one spell.

No save. Effects everything during the one minute time period.

Another thing to add, I don't see domain spells to be a huge issue but I delayed it to prevent cheap dipping. An provide a coming into power moment. While it does nearly double spells known. They are relatively low level spells.

Tenmujiin
2014-10-29, 01:10 PM
A very neat and I think balanced(ish) home-brew. Using the draconic abilities as guidelines since they are so similar is a good way to go about it. I have two suggestions: instead of the 13+dex AC maybe give them proficiency in medium armour to both differentiate their AC booster from draconics and to give them the extra AC they need to survive in mele (remember that the cleric's spell list is less suited to being a squishy in the back lines than a sorcerer).

Second:

Another thing to add, I don't see domain spells to be a huge issue but I delayed it to prevent cheap dipping. An provide a coming into power moment. While it does nearly double spells known. They are relatively low level spells.

If they are that big an impact then maybe have the character gain 1 less spell for each domain spell level they have access to? This gives them the both the flavour of the domain and compensates them for having set spells taking that spell known slot by giving them 2 for 1 without giving them the strict boost of 2 for 0. Then again, the changed spell list means that they may need the extra spells known to remain competitive (or they may not, I've never been that interested in clerics so I don't know the specifics of their spell list). I suggest this simply because the 2 for 0 seems wrong to me (not OP, just wrong).

CyberThread
2014-10-29, 04:05 PM
2 for 1 cost. Hmm...I like it.

XmonkTad
2014-10-30, 12:07 PM
What do you mean extra stat?
I mean that if you want to pick up a weapon and use it, you need str or dex in addition to cha. Favored souls used to be DAD (cha and wis). Now, if they were just a sorc variant, they could be Cha SAD (keeping with all the other casters). Of course, using a weapon on a full caster is a waste of actions.