PDA

View Full Version : (PF) Extraplanar Pimp (a conjecture on making the broodmaster not suck)

SamsDisciple
2014-10-28, 08:32 PM
After falling in love with the summoner class and how vastly different the archtypes play I thought "there must be a way to make the broodmaster not suck in comparison to the other archtypes." I do not claim superior knowledge and so I look for support to flesh this out. First I am making 2 assumptions (dangerous I know) 1. Wands can contain personal range spells (I have seen them in use but some dm's don't allow it) 2. Share spells works both ways (i.e. eidolon casts a personal range spell from a wand and it affects the summoner.) Assuming these two thoughts fly then instead of the summoner hiding behind the behemoth eidolon they wield a reach weapon and their eidolons (i.e. wand whor3s ) buff up the summoner with all your favorite wandable buffs ( enlarge, true strike, mage armor, haste) the lack of martial prowess means little with all of the buffs coming online quickly. Also with higher levels your harem continues to grow (8 wand whor3s? Yes please!) Main problem is that your buffs can be taken out quickly... so then you go down to only standard action summoning... man that sucks ;-)
Ok now what else can we do with this? How can we make the broodmaster not suk!?

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-28, 10:52 PM
1. Be 13th level.
2. Have three eidolons.
3. Fluff them as an anthropomorphic lion, an animated scarecrow, and a metal man (tin, perhaps).
4. Get a pet dog, or make a Small dog Eidolon and an eidolon that looks like a pair of red glittery shoes.
5. Name your character Dorothy.

grarrrg
2014-10-28, 11:47 PM
Yeah, setting up "the kids" with wands, and spending Evo-points to boost their UMD is pretty much the consensus on how to actually DO something with Broodmaster.

The only other real opening to try to take advantage of, is that fact that ALL of them have "full level" Bab and Saves. So a level 20 Summoner's Broodlings will all have 15 Bab, regardless of how else you decide to split things.
Of course, this is killed once you start to try to give them weapons (either Natural, or Manufactured).

SamsDisciple
2014-10-29, 06:10 AM
but wouldn't that make the broodmaster start to shatter the action economy when they are loaded up with wands? I mean that gives a huge number of actions that can be taken (including self preservation for the eidolons) and the summoner could still do his thing. Compare it to a master summoner, yes the master summoner is summoning on standard actions using spell like abilities and the broodmaster needs to use his limited spells which also take longer but he also can receive/give tons of buffs (up to 4th level) any feats that the master summoner takes the broodmaster can do too except that the broodmaster has been buffed up to insanity as well as his allies. (main difference is that broodmaster needs to spend alot more money on wands and use alot of charges trying to buff up and keep his little ones around) I know that the eidolons dying is a serious concern as that is an easy way to take off combat effectiveness but still! The possibilities of absolutely shattering the action economy is amazing! As well as the roleplaying possibilities (don't want to pimp out your eidolons? Be Mary Poppins and have a bunch of children following you that you are nannying)