PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder DSP PoW: Can Gmabits be made as part of a full attack action?

Snowbluff
2014-10-28, 08:36 PM
Or Charge?
Or Spell?
Or flask throw?
Or Supernatural attack?
Or any other action that can be described identically to the implied action?

Sayt
2014-10-28, 10:44 PM
The way I always looked at it was that you spend your swift action at the start of your turn to declare a gambit, then you try and perform an action, and if the action comes under the Risk of the gambit you declared, you get the luck bonus to the d20 to perform the action. If you succeed you get Cha mod maneuvers backand the reward, and if you fail you take a -2 to d20 checks for a round and only regain 1 maneuver.

So can you charge on a gambit? if you're using Raging Hunter Pounce to achieve Brave gambit sure. Or if you're making a charging bull rush as part of a Gatecrasher's Gambit.

For splash weapons, I'm not sure. If ranged touch attacks are, like I think they are, a subset of ranged attack, you should be able to use them with pinhole gambit.

Squirrel_Dude
2014-10-28, 10:47 PM
You activate the gambit as a swift action, you then perform the action that let's you complete the gambit before the end of your turn. So:

Full Attack: Yes.
Charge: Yes.
Spell: Ooh, maybe with the spells that let you make bull rush checks: Victory gambit of course.
Fflask: Called Shot, Victory, and Pinhole Gambits would work: There might be others.
Or Supernatural attack: Considering that's what some maneuvers are? Definitely.
"Any other action that can be described identically to the implied action": Can't say without knowing the action.

Snowbluff
2014-10-28, 10:54 PM
Ranged spell and Pinhole should work then, right? It's not a ranged attack action, but it's an action that is a ranged attack.

Elricaltovilla
2014-10-28, 11:17 PM
Its slightly more complicated than that, as each gambit has different requirements to be used. Take Victory Gambit for example. The risk is:

The warlord successfully reduces an opponent to 0 or few hit points with a melee or ranged attack on his turn from either a standard attack or full attack action.

So a full attack action could be used to complete a Victory Gambit. However, if you look at Sweeping Gambit, the risk is:

The warlord attempts a successful trip maneuver against an opponent.

You can't spend a full attack action to trip, although you can include a trip attempt in a full attack action. However if you activate the gambit and make a trip attempt then fail, making a second trip attempt during your full attack action won't cause the Gambit to suddenly succeed.

Ranged spell and Pinhole should work then, right? It's not a ranged attack action, but it's an action that is a ranged attack.

The risk for Pinhole Gambit is:
The warlord attempts to successfully use a ranged attack against an opponent engaged in melee with an ally. So you can use a spell that requires a ranged attack roll as that is technically still a ranged attack.

Ultimately the answer is "Depends on the Gambit."

Snowbluff
2014-10-28, 11:27 PM
Thank you! That's exactly what I was thinking. >:3