PDA

View Full Version : Optimization 3.5 Druid Shapeshifter equipment dilemma (also - feats?)

Kuroi
2014-10-28, 09:02 PM
Hello there.

I'm creating a level 5 (Swordsage2/Druid3) Shapeshifter for a new campaign and honestly - a bit stuck with equipment selection.
Since shapeshifter (not wild shape, but ACF from PHB2) loses all equipment bonuses while transformed - I don't really know what I need to "buy"... :smallannoyed:

Things I'm pretty sure have to be bought are the Lesser Extend Rod, Healing Belt and probably CLW wand.

The role I was thinking my character would fill is the battlefield control with spells, some summons and usage of Mighty Throw (http://dndtools.eu/spells/tome-of-battle-the-book-of-nine-swords--88/mighty-throw--3673/) maneuver.

PS. I'm also thinking about feats - MM, Combat or Summon focused? Any suggestions?

eggynack
2014-10-28, 09:10 PM
Ioun stones are also rather helpful, as you're not wearing them, and can thus use them while shifted. You might be better off just going with a different route though. Shapeshift is rather awkward, as you've no doubt noticed. I'm thinking something like druid 5 to start off, maybe dipping into swordsage after you already have your wild shape based combat ability in hand.

Kuroi
2014-10-28, 09:18 PM
Thanks, I'll look into Ioun stones :)

About Shifter path - I'm pretty sure that it's what I want to be, as the character in my mind is akin to WoW druid, that can change form at will any time :)

If I wanted to go powerhouse - I'd go wild shape with Greenbound summoning, but I honestly prefer to have fun character to over-optimized one ;)

eggynack
2014-10-28, 09:29 PM
About Shifter path - I'm pretty sure that it's what I want to be, as the character in my mind is akin to WoW druid, that can change form at will any time :)

If I wanted to go powerhouse - I'd go wild shape with Greenbound summoning, but I honestly prefer to have fun character to over-optimized one ;)
I guess, though my issue is a bit more rooted in awkwardness here than strict power level stuff. There's a lot about shapeshift that, beyond its crappiness, just doesn't work well as a build around. In particular, where wild shape has a ton of interesting feats and even a couple of prestige classes as support, a build based around shapeshift will have just about nothing in their build to support that path outside of maybe generic combat feats. I was even just thinking about vow of poverty, as a way to work towards solving both the equipment and feat problems at once, but then I realized that it's made even worse than usual by the loss of exalted wild shape and exalted companion.

Anyway, as an alternate solution, a warshaper could be nifty. You get the ability to constantly alter your form as a capstone, and as a bonus, the class is horribly suboptimal on a druid. There are more optimal entry paths too, if you're interested in the class. Could work out reasonably.

Troacctid
2014-10-28, 10:22 PM
Items that buff your casting work just fine on a shapeshifter as they're only nonfunctional at times when you're unable to cast spells. Pearls of Power, Metamagic Rods, Circlet of Mages (Magic Item Compendium), Chronocharm of the Uncaring Archmage (Magic Item Compendium), Ring of the Beast (Complete Champion), etc.

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-29, 10:21 AM
Also, look at permanent spells. Enlarge person, greater magic fang, even resistance. Not a bad way to go.

Kuroi
2014-10-30, 10:50 AM
Thanks for all suggestions, for now I went with Ioun Stone (+2 WIS) and Healing Belt as my big purchases :smallsmile: