PDA

View Full Version : Whip build?

SliceandDiceKid
2014-10-28, 09:45 PM
Any viable builds or ideas?

Rysan Marquise
2014-10-28, 10:42 PM
Whip Fighter/Battlemaster/Rogue who can constantly skirmish enemies without triggering attacks of opportunity in response.

Whip Paladin with a shield who relies upon high base damage from smite and other stacked effects and takes advantage of the bonus range for a 1 handed finnesable weapon.

Honestly, whips need a bonus feat pertaining specifically to them for them to become good or fully viable weapons, but you can do a few neat tricks.

Maxilian
2014-10-28, 11:30 PM
Whip Fighter/Battlemaster/Rogue who can constantly skirmish enemies without triggering attacks of opportunity in response.

Whip Paladin with a shield who relies upon high base damage from smite and other stacked effects and takes advantage of the bonus range for a 1 handed finnesable weapon.

Honestly, whips need a bonus feat pertaining specifically to them for them to become good or fully viable weapons, but you can do a few neat tricks.

Sadly... these's the case, you can make some fun and neat characters but you won't really win anything from doing that (not even for RP), i also want to have a character based on whips, but is not really that viable :smallfrown:

Naanomi
2014-10-28, 11:51 PM
A Battlemaster more concerned with control than a few dice of damage could do worse than a shield and whip.

Eldritch knight might favor the reach over a bit of damage as well.

Still mostly a style choice.

Tenmujiin
2014-10-29, 12:36 PM
I'm probably going to be running a whip wielding paladin when my group starts running sessions again in the next few weeks. Between smite damage and hunter's mark (I'll be a vengeance paladin) I felt the reach was worth the 2 average damage I was losing (I was going to run a dex based paladin anyway so a rapier was my other choice of weapon 1d8 average 4 and 1d4 average 2 isn't much next to my +3 dex and 1d6 mark or xd6 smite). Not to mention the epic RP potential and OOC use of an easily controlled 10ft rope.

Edit: more generally, whips are good for any dex character who is willing to sacrifice 2 average damage for 5ft extra reach which is only slightly worse than the trade off strength characters get (1 average damage for 5ft extra reach).