PDA

View Full Version : Fallout's SPECIAL System: Charisma Help

SwordChucks
2014-10-28, 09:52 PM
I'm working on making a Fallout tabletop game (because no one's tried that before) and I've run into the problem that charisma doesn't do much. So far it only affects the barter and speech skills while each other stat has at least some combat relevance in addition to boosting skills.

The only time I've found that charisma did anything other than improve barter and speech was in FO2 where it was used to determine the number of companions you could have. In a group game that's not very important.

So, can the playground help me figure out a way to make charisma more important?

Edit- Ideas so far:
resistance to fear effects
Morale bonuses based on average of party's charisma

Esprit15
2014-10-28, 09:55 PM
I recall in New Vegas that there was an ability to make people flee from you with a speech check.

Other than that, remember that whether people like you or not can play a large role in your survival. Unless you have a combat heavy system, heck, even in a combat heavy system, your ability to get people on your side is important.

Plus, didn't companions get bonuses in combat based on charisma?

BladeofObliviom
2014-10-28, 10:02 PM
I'm working on making a Fallout tabletop game (because no one's tried that before) and I've run into the problem that charisma doesn't do much. So far it only affects the barter and speech skills while each other stat has at least some combat relevance in addition to boosting skills.

The only time I've found that charisma did anything other than improve barter and speech was in FO2 where it was used to determine the number of companions you could have. In a group game that's not very important.

So, can the playground help me figure out a way to make charisma more important?

In MY Fallout game that's for personal use only (hooray we're mutually creative), Charisma is used to resist fear effects like the ones that Deathclaw Matriarchs and other such abnormally terrifying monsters have (seriously, without VATS, the instinct to panic when you see one charging you is there even distilled into player format). It also tends to be required for most of the party leader-ish perks. It's also required for one of the most (though not the most, since it still loses to Sniper) stupidly OP perks in the Fallout series.

It also happens to be used on the rare occasions when Psykers come into play, but you may or may not care about including those.

SwordChucks
2014-10-28, 10:08 PM
Yeah, Terrifying Presence would either make the enemies run for 5 seconds or they start combat so you can claim self defense. I'm hoping for something charisma can do without taking a perk.

Your companions in FO:NV get bonuses based on Nerve which is based on charisma but I'm not sure how to make that matter in a group game. I like that you get something nice from each stat which can encourage a player to be more well rounded. If one player had a high charisma he can do the talking while all the others dump it, and that's what I'd like to avoid.

Also I forgot all about psykers but would like to avoid them as they aren't very well developed in game. There's what like 10 total in 5 games?

Esprit15
2014-10-28, 10:15 PM
Perhaps group bonuses based on the sum of your charismas?

SwordChucks
2014-10-28, 10:19 PM
Perhaps group bonuses based on the sum of your charismas?

Not a bad idea but it might be better as an average so a small party isn't penalized.