PDA

View Full Version : sticking Keep on the Borderlands in Forgotten Realms

odigity
2014-10-29, 03:29 AM
My DM wants to port the original Keep on the Borderlands module (yes, from basic D&D 30 years ago) to 5e and stick it somewhere appropriate in Forgotten Realms, just to get us off to a simple start. Problem is, we're not familiar enough with Forgotten Realms geography and culture to pick a good spot that would make sense for a small keep on the edge of the wild near caves teaming with all manner of evil humanoids.

Suggestions? (I'm using the FR wiki: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page)

randomodo
2014-10-29, 06:16 AM
Around the edge of the Goblin Marches would be good. It's a wilderness area between Cormyr on the east and Darkhold on the west. You could theoretically use High Horn as the location of the keep, or put it in/outside of Eagle Peak, or move it further west/northwest.

Some of this depends on what version of the Realms you use. I'm accustomed to 1st-3.5 edition, but I think the 4E did some things with the geography in that area (moved some swamps around and such).

odigity
2014-10-29, 11:58 AM
Around the edge of the Goblin Marches would be good. It's a wilderness area between Cormyr on the east and Darkhold on the west. You could theoretically use High Horn as the location of the keep, or put it in/outside of Eagle Peak, or move it further west/northwest.

Some of this depends on what version of the Realms you use. I'm accustomed to 1st-3.5 edition, but I think the 4E did some things with the geography in that area (moved some swamps around and such).

For the convenience of those following along at home, I believe he's referring to this:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/High_Horn_%28hold%29

randomodo
2014-10-29, 02:29 PM
Yep, that's the location I was thinking. Either make High Horn itself the Keep, or place the Keep further into the borderlands.

Yagyujubei
2014-10-29, 04:26 PM
It would be cool to build it into the north country WAY to the east by the endless wastes. that bit of Faerun doesn't get alot of exposure so you could really make it feel like a frontier wilderness and the first line of defense against outside forces.

and it would be seriously surrounded by a ****storm of enemies, you have thay to the south, Nar to the west, and the wastes to the east. you could put the keep up by the ice rim mountains

http://www.pocketplane.net/volothamp/images/faerunlarge.jpg

odigity
2014-10-29, 11:15 PM
...make High Horn itself the Keep...

That's what we did tonight. Thanks!

nedwasatool
2024-01-24, 03:16 PM
[QUOTE=odigity;18328827]My DM wants to port the original Keep on the Borderlands module (yes, from basic D&D 30 years ago) to 5e and stick it somewhere appropriate in Forgotten Realms

I just started this module and I placed it north of Cormyr. There is a 'Forgotten Keep' where I placed the keep and there are nearby hills to the North where I put the caves of chaos.

truemane
2024-01-30, 01:46 PM
Metamagic Mod: Thread Necromancy