PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [3.5] Bear Party!!!

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-29, 04:19 AM
Purpose: create a four-member 3.5 party with the theme of BEARS. WotC-published content only; that includes Dragon Magazine/Compendium and web articles, but no Pathfinder backports or third-party/homebrew material.

We want a martial, a divine caster, an arcane caster, and a skillmonkey. Bonus points for anyone who can come up with a psionics-user themed around BEARS.

Ideas:

Martial: Barbarian 6/Champion of Gwynharwyf 1/Bear Warrior 10/Champion of Gwynharwyf +3
Turn into a bear; proceed to wreck things. Champion of Gwynharwyf is in there because it's better than taking four more levels of Barbarian.

Divine Caster: Druid 20
Stays wildshaped as a bear of some sort. Animal companion is another bear of the same sort. Uses Summon Nature's Ally of the appropriate level to summon 1d4+1 other bears of the same sort.

Arcane Caster: Wizard 5/Sentinel of Bharrai 3/Incantatrix 10/Archmage 2
Be a bear. Cast persisted buffs on the other bears to make them better bears.

Skillmonkey: Here's where I'm stuck. What can a skillmonkey do while still having the theme of BEARS? Maybe a Wildshape Ranger into Warshaper?

Oddman80
2014-10-29, 06:26 AM
Meh. Just make the skill monkey a really hairy, bearded human factotum....

Or an Anthropomorphic Bear as the starting race.

D4rkh0rus
2014-10-29, 07:47 AM
I remember reading about an awakened bear who became a PC and took levels in skilled classes, he maxed disguise and social skills and became a "gentleman of high society". I believe his name was... Mr.Bearington. (http://funnydndstories.com/apps/blog/show/5750289-mr-bearington/)

the druid can awaken his bear, to stay true to the story.

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-29, 09:00 AM
The skillmonkey sounds like some form of...

Scout 3 / wildshape ranger 5 / Daggerspell Shaper 10 / X 2

Human for able learner to keep class skills for disabling traps while progressing ranger.

Plenty of skill points, decent bab. Sneak attack and skirmish. Not the most optimized build, but you can dump strength and still TWF as you will be using bear stats. Daggerspell shaper give you large wildshape (the base wildshape ranger never gets it). Con = Int > Dex 15 (after items) > Wis = Cha > Str

Sneak attack opens up craven. Skirmish plus UMD a dummy for 10ft steps... It could work.