PDA

View Full Version : Preventing People From Escaping a Grapple

Compliant
2014-10-29, 05:49 AM
Is there some sort of feat or ability that just prevents people from escaping a grapple by unconventional means.

By which I mean: decreasing the effectiveness of "Escape Artist", "Freedom of Movement", "Teleporting", etc. The stuff that just ends grapples unopposed.

I'm looking for something that requires an opposed grapple check for the opponent to escape.

As an aside: Can you trip things that are incorporeal or have no discernible anatomy?

ranagrande
2014-10-29, 06:16 AM
The main thing you need is an Antimagic Field.

DeltaEmil
2014-10-29, 06:19 AM
Is there some sort of feat or ability that just prevents people from escaping a grapple by unconventional means.

By which I mean: decreasing the effectiveness of "Escape Artist", "Freedom of Movement", "Teleporting", etc. The stuff that just ends grapples unopposed.

I'm looking for something that requires an opposed grapple check for the opponent to escape.

As an aside: Can you trip things that are incorporeal or have no discernible anatomy?Incorporeal creatures cannot be tripped.

Incorporeal creatures cannot make trip or grapple attacks, nor can they be tripped or grappled.As for creatures with no discernible anatomy, it depends on the creature. A creeping ooze probably cannot be tripped under 3.x rules, but a greenbound troll could be tripped.

For the grappling problem, no idea.

Red Fel
2014-10-29, 07:23 AM
House rules.

Against casters who have the right spells prepared, Grappling quickly becomes an "I lose" proposition. Short of house rules which make modifications (e.g. changing Freedom of Movement to grant a bonus to Grapple checks instead of immunity), there's really no way to keep up. It's why Grapple builds don't get as much love on these boards - too easy for a caster to circumvent.

Now, I seem to remember that there was an Evil Outsider who, when grappling, nullified spells or something like that... The details escape me... Anyone?

Deox
2014-10-29, 07:53 AM
Justicar (Comp. Warrior) may be of use. Specifically their "Hog-Tie" ability.

If a justiciar successfully hog-ties an opponent, that person is considered bound and helpless.

Emphasis added.

While the target is still helpless, they are allowed only an escape artist (vs. the Justicar's use rope) or a pure strength check to break.

Deox
2014-10-29, 07:56 AM
Now, I seem to remember that there was an Evil Outsider who, when grappling, nullified spells or something like that... The details escape me... Anyone?

There's Hellreaver from FCII that can hit an evil outsider with dimensional anchor spell attached. Sure, target has to be an evil outsider, but it does only state "..next melee attack hits..." meaning trip/grapple/other touch attacks.

Esprit15
2014-10-29, 08:06 AM
Best bet is to nerf those spells that instant-end grapples. That's what my GM did, since he wasn't even aware that Freedom of Movement did that until I pointed it out to him. Gotta keep the faster scared of something!