PDA

View Full Version : Do You Trust Me? (IC)

Ezeze
2014-10-29, 09:50 AM
Do You Trust Me? IC Thread
The OOC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?378823-Do-You-Trust-Me-%28OOC%29)

Three nights ago you slept in your own beds in Michigan. Then you woke up, boarded a plane, and 14 hours later touched down in Vienna. You didn't get to see any of it, though, as you were shuttled immediately to your (admittedly fairly nice) hotel room where you had six hours to shower, eat, stretch your muscles and get whatever sleep you could before being shuttled back to the airport where you immediately boarded another plane - this time to Bucharest.

The second flight was much shorter; only about three hours. It landed in Bucharest a little before noon. That meant that by the time you were all through customs and had gotten your bags it was just about time for a late lunch. The tourist/translator/baby-sitter the University had hired to manage you during this layover was a young brunette woman who spoke English with a heavy German accent. It quickly became clear that she doesn't care much for the historic value of the ancient city she was meant to be leading you through. She can't answer most of the questions you ask on that subject, and doesn't seem inclined to find out. Instead of museums or historic sites she jets you from a trendy cafe in the business district where you dine on distinctly Western soups and sandwiches to modern shops of the sort you can find in any major city, and seems very proud of herself for knowing which are "hot spots" of local nightlife. When Dr Fitch specifically requests a side-trip to the Romanian Athenaeum she assures him that she'll add it to the itinerary, but the trip never manifests. The end result is that Dr Fitch is very impatient with her when she picks you up from the hotel the next morning an hour and a half later than she was supposed to.

You are already late for your flight when you get to the airport, but that doesn't stop the young woman from acting offended when Dr Fitch fails to tip her as he rushes you all off the bus.

Oh good, you're still here! I was afraid you'd have left without us Dr Fitch exclaims when you find your pilot still at the airport. Of course not. You're my only passengers the pilot quips back with a wink. She's a graying woman with laugh lines at the sides of her lips and eyes. Call me Angelica.

Angelica wasn't kidding about you being her only passengers. She leads you to a small pond skimmer only a little bit bigger than strictly necessary to hold all of you and your luggage. She chatters affably with anyone who cares to during the three hour or so plane ride to your final destination. You get a really stellar view of the snow-capped mountains as you pass. For her part Angelica doesn't know anything about Romanian history either, but she seems to have its geography down pat and knows how to fly her plane well enough so maybe her other shortcomings can be forgiven.

You touch down in an empty field, barren of any grass or other plant life. The only thing that breaks up the monotony of your surroundings is an old bus which might have once been white but is now stained and rusted, refitted with wheels obviously too big for it but which allow it to be as far off-road as it is right now. Near the bus is a man who looks to be in his late 20's or early 30's, clean shaven with pale skin and dark hair. He jogs over to you while your little group is disembarking from the plane. Hey! How's it going? he calls out in perfect English. I'm Remus. Welcome to Cusma! Remus extends his hand palm down with his fist closed; offering a fist bump rather than a handshake.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-10-29, 09:43 PM
A bespectacled, lanky, black-haired grad student waves to Remus despite being only a few feet away, as he did with Angelica and with anyone else he's been introduced to in the recent past. "Hi Remus. I'm Peter," he states plainly.

Peter was fairly quiet throughout the trip. He directed most of his logistical questions to the doctors, caught himself staring at the German tour guide on a couple of occasions, and had trouble finding excuses to talk to Alita or Julia aside from the occasional joke or word of annoyance with the events playing out on the airport news channels. Other than that, he spent a lot of time on his laptop up until this morning, when he left it off and fully charged up to now. He wanted to save battery power in case he needs it in the field later.

As fate would have it, Pete happens to be the first person out of the plane, and so is the first recipient of Remus' trying-too-hard-to-be-cool handshake. He notices Remus' fist, pauses, slowly raises his own hand into a fist, and gently advances it into position, returning the greeting and silently making fun of it at the same time.

Ezeze
2014-10-30, 12:06 PM
Remus meets Peter's fist with unabashed enthusiasm.

Alright! Lets get you guys loaded into the bus! We've got a bit of a drive ahead of us, and I can fill you in a bit on your accommodations while we're on the move. he grabs whatever bag has been left unattended and walks the dozen or so feet to the bus where he slides open its lower compartment and puts the bag down gently inside before getting out of your way so you all can do the same.

BramsesII
2014-10-30, 02:24 PM
Julia

This trip has taken entirely too long. I regret putting only one book and no laptop in my hand luggage; I finished it two hours before we reached Vienna, leaving me stuck talking to Peter. Well, I wouldn't exactly call it talking. I guess he didn't have much to talk about, aside from several corny jokes and some whining about the trip. Then again, I didn't really try very hard to strike up a decent conversation either. The others aren't much for conversation either. Dr Fitch and dr Maxwell are busy, and I'm not sure what to think of Alita. She seems a little out of place in our little group.

I suppose I'm just nervous. My first real expedition, with the great dr Fitch no less. This is going to be awesome! I find myself thinking about the wonders we will find in the mountains. I also find myself rather annoyed with the fact that they seem to be herding us through Vienna and Bucharest as quickly as possible. I wish we would've gotten some time to see the sights. I'd never been in either city before. Ah well. I find myself sighing as we board the pond skimmer, me carrying my own bags.

The man who welcomes us uses a rather odd way of greeting. Is that the norm here or is he just trying to be cool? Either way, I return the greeting with a nervous smile. "Julia. Pleased to meet you, Remus." I follow him as he leads us to the bus, grabbing my own bags and putting them carefully into the bagging compartment before making my way to go sit down. This time, I take a place beside the window so I can see outside where we're going.

Snacs
2014-10-30, 06:09 PM
Alvin spent most of the plane trip sleeping, feet tucked up when he could, his body jackknifed with no apparent discomfort in the seats. He spends his six hours at the hotel away from it, sampling a fine dinner from a nearby restaurant that cost far too much, but came in large, satisfying quantities. Showers and a change of clothes led him on to the plane to Bucharest, and through their whirlwind 'tour' with their guide.

A shame he couldn't convince her to truly take them to the museums, though he tried his best to steer her that way with Dr. Fitch. Otherwise he made as much effort to stay away from her as possible. A bit disappointed at the lack of local cuisine, he ends up heading back early from the rest of the group in a cab, turning in to sleep for the next day.

The sleep is good, since it lets him sit closer up to the front of the plane, happily using what he knew of the local history(frankly much of it what he'd gleaned from Fitch, books read before hte trip, and the trip's docket itself) and trying to overlay historical record to the geography. Either way he finds himself chatting amiably with her, discussing the international flights(and coyly suggesting her company outweighed the benefits of a higher priced Boeing's accommodations) he'd taken previous.

It's because of this that he's last out of the plane after the others. He greets Remus with a nod, leaning softly over to Fitch.

"Glad to see the boy's a fan, always nice to have local friends."He says low, so as not to offend the young man. And he meant every word, remembering past digs with less than helpful natives.

He stows his bags and turns to help anyone else that needs it, as well as Dr. Fitch.

tonberryking
2014-10-30, 10:29 PM
Alita took one look at the 'tour guide' and after five minutes of trying to check with her on culture and behavior (is it true locals do this, or are they really fond of that) decided to blow her 6 hours sleeping and getting a few sandwiches in the hotel. Like the act of stiffing her on the tip, she didn't have much use for the woman.

Angelica, on the other hand, captivated her dearly, and she tried to hog the 3 hours conversing with her, with particular eagerness to how she became a pilot. Probably alot of personal choices and not caring what the culture thought, which would bog Alita down were she not trying to make due with the time she had.

And after all that, she seems amiable enough to Remus, fistbumping and hitting the top and bottom of his fist in a quick motion...before mostly clamming up. Onl afte rthe fact does she start to wonder if maybe she should have been chattier to her compatriots... leaving her with little to say,

"Is the weather gonna get worse while we're here, or will it stay like this?"

Except for some relatively useful small talk, of course...

Ezeze
2014-10-30, 11:40 PM
Angelica was happy to chat with Alita, regaling her with stories of her life as a stock broker before she became a pilot and talking about what some of the controls and meters did, and more than happy to return Alvin's flirtatious advances though it seems highly unlikely anything will come of it. She claims to be an Englishwoman by birth, and her accents and mannerisms seem to support her story.

On the ground Remus seems as friendly as can be expected. The weather stays pretty mild around here. The mountains keep out the worst weather he indicates the mountain range to the East and looping around to the South though you might find some of it, if you go climbing.

Once everyone is aboard he stands at the head of the bus and turns to address you. Now before we get going, a few quick words he begins. By American standards the residents of Cuma are a bit backwards. Ladies, I don't want to single you out - here he nods at Alita and Julia - but I think you need this heads up more than your companions; dress modestly. Try not to spend time alone with members of the opposite gender. They'll be more understanding because you are outsiders, but don't go abusing that; you're the first Westerners in the area for more than sixty years. I know you're primarily archaeologists but you're going to have to be Diplomats for a little while too, and that means giving in to a few of their terms while you're in the village. If you're acting like your super conservative grandma is watching you're probably on the right track. Any questions so far?

BramsesII
2014-11-01, 05:38 AM
Well...

Remus' advice doesn't come as a complete surprise. I had hoped that the people would be somewhat different from what I expected, but I suppose that sixty years without much outside influence means little will change in your outlook. I stare out the window, thinking about all the clothes I put in my suitcase. I'm glad I packed a variety of different styles, and nothing at all too revealing. The running attire might be a bit much, though. Then again, I don't think going running on my own would be a good idea. Perhaps one of my compatriots will go out running with me once every few mornings. I should remember to ask them when I get the chance.

Remus finishes his little round of advice, and I smile at him, shaking my head. "No questions so far, no."

Once the bus is underway, I look around to see if there's anyone who is not busy doing something for themselves. I really should get to know these people better.

If everyone's busy, Julia will decide to do some reading. If there's anyone not busy, she'll go up to them to talk. Except for dr Fitch, whom she already knows a bit better. She's a bit too awed to go and have a casual conversation with him.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-11-02, 03:36 AM
"Huh. So they're... religious, then?" Peter responds to Remus. He tries to remember whether the Cusma area has had a lot of Islamic or Christian influence or what, though it might have more to do with cultural timing than anything.

Once aboard yet another vehicle, the student fidgets with his laptop, moving to open it up several times but stopping himself. He's clearly anxious, but not what you'd call busy.

"Hey, Pete."

"Hey, Julia."

"..."

"..."

He taps his foot and fidgets with his laptop again. Jegus, we're on our way an isolated archaeological dig, how can I possibly have nothing to talk about?!

"...what do you think we're going to find when we get there?" he finally asks.

BramsesII
2014-11-02, 05:00 AM
"Hey, Pete."

"Hey, Julia."

"..."

"..."

He taps his foot and fidgets with his laptop again.

"...what do you think we're going to find when we get there?" he finally asks.

"I'm not sure. Perhaps something left behind by ancient greeks or romans. Or maybe the remains of something medieval." I turn to look at him, attempting to smile. "There will certainly be something to find, though. So, why did you decide to come along on this expedition?"

Ezeze
2014-11-02, 01:11 PM
"Huh. So they're... religious, then?"

Very Remus confirms. They rebuilt their church nearly a decade ago and are still super proud of it. I'll be surprised if they don't take you to see it. He completes the thought with a shrug and a dismissive hand wave. Clearly the church didn't manage to impress him.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-11-02, 11:03 PM
Rebuilt? Huh. The USSR must have torn down the first one.

"Eh, I needed an excuse to get out of the house," he smiles, though that's probably way closer to the truth than it ought to be. "No, I mean, this is actually really exciting, right? I'm probably here for the same reasons as you: it's a highly-contested area that hasn't been examined in forever, and we get to shine some light on a story that no one remembers. On the other side of the world, no less! It's awesome."

"I've only been overseas once before, to help my great aunt move. How about you? Have you gone on any of Dr. Fitch's digs?"

Ezeze
2014-11-04, 01:49 PM
No more questions, then? Great. Remus slides into the driver's seat and plugs an MP3 player produced from his pocket into the bus's sound system, which has been retrofitted to play it (perhaps more telling of Remus's priorities than he'd like, considering the bus's dilapidated interior and all the rust showing through the pain job on the outside). Instrumental rockabilly blares from the bus's speakers as Reums turns the bus around and heads back in the way the bus seems to have originally come from. The seats beneath you buck and jerk - clearly the bus is not meant for the kind of offroad driving it's being subjected to now. Dr Fitch is even forced to put down the book he had retrieved from his backpack, as the rocking makes it impossible to read.

Oh by the way! Remus calls back from the drivers seat, shouting over the music rather than turning it down. Cusma is too small for its own hotel, but I've scouted out a few houses willing to offer spare rooms. You'll be split up, but you'll be comfortable enough. Dr Fitch, the two of us are being put up very generously by Mayor Alin Lupei. Dr Maxwell, I've arranged for you to share a house with Mr Kir Smith, who is very excited to have another Russian speaker to chat with! Alita, Julia, you'll be staying with the Widow Balan. She's an older woman, but you'll like her. Peter, that leaves you with the Vasiles. They're a big family, I hope that's not a problem!

You will all have your own rooms, running water and electricity, so there is that. At least down here in town, anyways.

Very good! Dr Fitch shouts back over the music. We'll be roughing it up at the excavation, so it's good to not have to while in town.

BramsesII
2014-11-04, 02:21 PM
"Eh, I needed an excuse to get out of the house," he smiles, though that's probably way closer to the truth than it ought to be. "No, I mean, this is actually really exciting, right? I'm probably here for the same reasons as you: it's a highly-contested area that hasn't been examined in forever, and we get to shine some light on a story that no one remembers. On the other side of the world, no less! It's awesome."

It's strange. He doesn't seem quite that excited. Not as excited as he should be. After all, we're accompanying the great dr Fitch on one of his legendary digs. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I find myself smiling from the anticipation. "This is really exciting. Just think, we're the first westerners to come by here in over 60 years. Think of the things we'll find! I'm feeling quite honored to be here." I'm way too excited to sound calm.

"I've only been overseas once before, to help my great aunt move. How about you? Have you gone on any of Dr. Fitch's digs?"

I shake my head. "No, this is my first dig with dr. Fitch. I've been overseas before though. My parents and I did a lot of travelling, specifically to western europe. It was very... err... lehrreich... informative." My pronounciation must be way off, but I'm glad to remember at least something of the German my parents taught me when we visited Cologne.

Oh by the way! Remus calls back from the drivers seat, shouting over the music rather than turning it down. Cusma is too small for its own hotel, but I've scouted out a few houses willing to offer spare rooms. You'll be split up, but you'll be comfortable enough. Dr Fitch, the two of us are being put up very generously by Mayor Alin Lupei. Dr Maxwell, I've arranged for you to share a house with Mr Kir Smith, who is very excited to have another Russian speaker to chat with! Alita, Julia, you'll be staying with the Widow Balan. She's an older woman, but you'll like her. Peter, that leaves you with the Vasiles. They're a big family, I hope that's not a problem!

You will all have your own rooms, running water and electricity, so there is that. At least down here in town, anyways.

Remus interrupts our conversation with some more helpful information, telling me Alita and I will be staying with a widow named Balan. I hope she speaks English. I look at Peter again, my smile having faded from my face. "Well. At least we'll all have our own rooms. I'd hoped to be staying in something of a hotel, but I suppose it makes sense they wouldn't have accomodations like that here. I just hope that the widow we're staying with speaks English. That shouldn't be a problem for you, Peter. In a big family there'll surely be someone who speaks our language."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-11-04, 05:23 PM
"This is really exciting. Just think, we're the first westerners to come by here in over 60 years. Think of the things we'll find! I'm feeling quite honored to be here... No, this is my first dig with dr. Fitch. I've been overseas before though. My parents and I did a lot of travelling, specifically to western europe. It was very... err... lehrreich... informative."

"Lehrer-reich... So that would be, like, teach-ifying, I guess? Yeah, that sounds about right, haha!"

Alita, Julia, you'll be staying with the Widow Balan. She's an older woman, but you'll like her. Peter, that leaves you with the Vasiles. They're a big family, I hope that's not a problem!

Very good! Dr Fitch shouts back over the music. We'll be roughing it up at the excavation, so it's good to not have to while in town.

"Yeah, it should be fine! Thanks!"

"Well. At least we'll all have our own rooms. I'd hoped to be staying in something of a hotel, but I suppose it makes sense they wouldn't have accommodations like that here. I just hope that the widow we're staying with speaks English. That shouldn't be a problem for you, Peter. In a big family there'll surely be someone who speaks our language."

"Yeah, maybe... but then, where would kids go to learn English around here? Ha, I guess I'll have to ask them..." He pauses and tenses up a bit with the thought of a bunch of children excitedly fussing over him when he arrives, asking him about what it's like in America and whatever else they randomly think up. Or maybe they'll just say hi on his way in and out and ignore him otherwise. The first one is probably better, but the latter makes him a little more comfortable.

"...still, it is quite nice of the host families to put up with us while we're here. Ms. Balan will probably be happy to have you and Alita for company."

Snacs
2014-11-04, 06:04 PM
The linguist had seated himself a row or two behind Remus, his long legs slung casually outwards into the aisle. The lounging, casual position looked set to send him flinging off whenever Remus hit a bump, but the tilted seating wedged him into the side of the bus, his foot up on the back of the seat in front of him, keeping him still.

"It'll be my pleasure!"He shouted back lightly, glancing back at the rest of their little party. he didn't bother trying to read, letting his eyes wander over the landscape wildly bouncing around through the windows. He'd 'enjoyed' such rough living before, and despite the lack of proper suspension in the bus well..it was a pleasant ride.

After speaking with Dr. Fitz on some specifics(mostly the distance form the town tot he dig site). he tips his hat down over his face and does his best to just relax, ignoring the view once it began wobbling enough to make him feel ill.

Ezeze
2014-11-04, 08:33 PM
The castle we're excavating is a three mile hike up the mountain. Far enough to justify setting up tents, which I had shipped ahead of us, but not so far that we can't return to town from time to time to partake in the luxuries of indoor plumbing Dr Fitch yelled back at Dr Maxwell, voice raised to be heard over the music.

A particularly large bump nearly sends everyone sprawling from their seats, but then the ride smooths out as the bus's tires meet dirt road. It's still rocky, but a marked improvement.

tonberryking
2014-11-04, 11:58 PM
Alita, even when her mother was at her worst, is not the kind of woman who owns a skirt. Still, her outfits were rather concealing and modest to begin with so hopefully the pitchforks and torches won't get lobbed at her the moment she walks around.

"What's the widow like?" she hollers above the music, trying not to fall out of her seat, and trying not to wonder if she'd be more comfortable sitting on top of the bus rather than in it. "And do the villagers know what we're gonna be doing here or do we have to answer them all the time?

BramsesII
2014-11-05, 03:10 PM
"...still, it is quite nice of the host families to put up with us while we're here. Ms. Balan will probably be happy to have you and Alita for company."

Julia nods. "I hope so. I'd hate to have to spend my entire time here with a dreadful old woman who hates us for reasons unknown." She leans a bit closer and asks Peter something in a low voice. "Say, do you know Alita at all? I can't say I've really talked to her much yet."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-11-06, 12:15 AM
"I hope so. I'd hate to have to spend my entire time here with a dreadful old woman who hates us for reasons unknown... Say, do you know Alita at all? I can't say I've really talked to her much yet."

"Not... really. I've had a couple of classes with her, and she's actually really reliable, but yeah, she never talked much. It was like she was always in a hurry to leave."

BramsesII
2014-11-07, 03:39 PM
"I see. Well, I suppose I'll get to know her soon enough." Julia looks in Alita's direction, and if she should notice the girl looking back at her she'll offer a small smile before turning back to Peter. She looks for something to speak about, but she can't really come up with anything good conversational topics. "Well... err..."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-11-08, 09:05 PM
"..."

Peter absentmindedly pats his laptop bag, and just seems to notice Julia's book bag.

"...how was... I forget which book it was. The one you were reading on the plane ride. I noticed you finished it really quickly."

BramsesII
2014-11-09, 04:30 PM
"Oh yes, I'd read it before, which helps. I like to read a lot, and I'm a pretty fast reader. I've brought a few more in case we get bored out here. I'm not expecting to have much of a connection to the outside world, so I brought some things to occupy myself with." She looks out of the window every now and again to get a view of the surrouding areas.

"What about yourself? Did you bring any reading material? You know... beside the standard science articles?"

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-11-09, 06:33 PM
"No. Or, ha, not unless you count visual novels." He fidgets with his laptop bag again, though this time it's clear that he's drawing attention to it on purpose. "Otherwise it's just games and lecture notes and stuff. I didn't really think to pack any books or download them ahead of time."

Ezeze
2014-11-13, 02:41 PM
It's a long bus ride made worse by the fact that you've spent 20 of the last 72 hours in cramped airplanes, and that doesn't even count the time you spent on line in airports or stuck on a different bus with an incompetent tour guide. Eventually, however, you do see to edges of a little village. There are probably a hundred or so houses. The outside walls of the houses are covered in white plaster, and their roofs are all made from uniform rust-orange tiles that stands out from the vibrant green grass and unpaved dirt roads to make the whole area look like something out of an impressionist painting. The horizon is dominated on the East, South and North by the same mountain range you flew over with Angelica just a few hours ago. From the sky they were an interesting geographic feature, from the ground they seem huge and insurmountable; giants that delay the sunrise for several hours each day. You see no other vehicles on the road, though you do see maybe half a dozen parked in driveways next to the larger homes. Without exception these cars are old, each one of a style that hasn't been popular in two decades or more, though they have all been well taken care of and are likely functional. Some of the people who see the bus drive pass stare with curiosity, but just as many do not.

It's around four as nearly as any of you can tell (none of you have kept your clocks updated to local time, and your cell phones aren't getting any reception) by the time Remus stops the bus on the road outside a lovely two-story home. It seems whoever lives here is well-to-do in comparison to those who live in the other homes, a fact revealed by the house's large footprint and the relative size of the windows. Remus turns off the music and turns around in his seat to face you all Alright! This is the home of Mayor Lupei. Now Mr Lupei doesn't speak any English, but he'll typically know where to find me if you've got a problem. So lets step inside and make his acquaintance, right?

Remus opens the bus doors and leads the way down the steps onto Mayor Lupei's front lawn. Dr Fitch puts his book aside and follows him, stretching his back and rolling his shoulders as he goes to help recover from the long ride.

BramsesII
2014-11-13, 05:22 PM
Julia is glad to finally have arrived at their destination. I don't mind travelling, but this bus... She gets up from her seat and picks up one of her bags. As Remus gets ready to step outside, she speaks up. "Remus, can we leave our stuff in here. Depending on his answer, she either brings her bag along or leaves it in the bus.

Quietly, she follows Dr Fitch, obviously slightly anxious to meeting the town mayor. As they step outside, she leans over to Peter and whispers. "I hope I don't do anything to offend him."

Ezeze
2014-11-13, 11:43 PM
Hrm? Oh, yeah, you're fine to leave your stuff here. We'll be taking the bus over to where you're staying anyways.

Mr Lupei, as it turns out, is a balding, portly man who carries his extra weight with the same graceful air as so many other important men - though not so important as to be unable to answer his own door, which he does when Remus knocks. In a tweed jacket and thoroughly Western slacks, Mr Lupei looks as if he'd fit in comfortably with the Doctors Fitch and Maxwell at any given university. He has laugh lines at the corners of his mouth, but the man is definitely not laughing now.

De ce esti aici? Ti-am spus sit este anulat. Accesta nu va fi tolerata. He stares at Remus as he speaks.
Prim-ministrul a nu cred ascest lucru. El vreaspapaturi pentru a continua.
Prim-ministrual a nu-i pasa ce se intampla aici. Trimite strainii ascasa. Remus opens his mouth to reply but Dr Fitch interrupts him, asking What's the problem?

Remus pauses, parsing the message or mentally switching languages or editing out choice words, it's hard to tell. He says he doesn't want you here.

We'll have to find somewhere else to stay, then!

No, you misunderstand. He wants to cancel the dig.

Interzis.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-11-14, 01:00 AM
Well, crap.

Peter flinches in surprise at the first part of Remus' translation, and furrows his brow after the second.

"...did he say why?"

BramsesII
2014-11-14, 03:32 PM
He can't just do that! The mayor's resolute decision has Julia completely in shock. She goes silent, and her expression darkens considerably. She steps aside slightly, hiding herself a bit behind Dr Maxwell so her expression isn't immediately obvious to Remus and the mayor.

tonberryking
2014-11-17, 12:44 AM
Alita looks between Remus and the man whose language she's not entirely fluent in.

"Did the Russians invade, or something? Why couldn't he have called or notified us sooner!? We've been in hotels and airports, it shouldn't have been that hard to tell us this BEFORE we stepped foot in this little town."

Ezeze
2014-11-24, 03:51 PM
What Julia thinks, Dr Fitch shouts; He can't do that!

We are here as official guests of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs! As he speaks Remus begins translating to the Mayor. He's barely audible over the absolute fit that Dr Fitch is throwing, but Mayor Lupei pays attention to everything he is saying.

This dig has been years - decades! - in the making! The result of hundreds of man-hours and the efforts of diplomats on both sides of the Atlantic! I have the personal assurances of the Romanian Ambassador to the United States himself that this dig would go off without a hitch. You do not have the authority to... Dr Fitch continues in this vein for nearly two full minutes.

Alvin [roll0]
Alita [roll1]
Peter [roll2]
Julia [roll3]

When I get back to Bucharest I am going straight to the Embassy there and we'll have the political higher ups come down on you like a bag of bricks! Your insignificant little title might afford you some luxuries out in this little podunk town but you just wait until...
Throughout all of Dr Fitch's rant Remus has been translating in one direction - from English into Romanian. The Mayor's short-lived replies get overridden by the ranting professor, and in truth it seems Remus is having difficulty keeping up with translating just his employer's long-winded complaint.

It only ends when Mayor Lupei reaches out physically and places his hands on Dr Fitch's arms.
Destul!

Remus takes a breath, and finally begins translating in the other direction. He says 'enough!' he provides.

Am înțeles că sunt supărat , dar oamenii mei sunt pe primul loc . Au cină , vom vorbi despre asta în interiorul .

He gets that you're upset but he has other priorities. He's inviting you all to dinner, so you can talk more, uh, calmly...

The Mayor seemed pretty steadfast until Dr Fitch mentioned having other people come here. For some reason, that specifically is what made him cave...