PDA

View Full Version : Thri-Kreen PC Conversion

Scarce
2014-10-29, 12:29 PM
My 3.5 campaign will be resuming soon, fully converted to 5e, with the sole exception of one player character, Clicky, the (non-psionic) Thri-Kreen fighter. Even though we have all the stats for Thri-Kreen from the monster manual, I can't figure out a fair way to convert him. He will be at 5th level, and PC levels should be fighter.

I'm sure the DMG will have stats for monstrous PCs, but until then, what is a balanced way of building this character?

EvilAnagram
2014-10-29, 12:50 PM
I'm AFB, but this seems fair:

Take the two highest Ability Scores from the MM, make the highest a +2 and the second a +1.
Let him pick two spells from its innate psionic spellcasting and use them with the Ability Score in the MM.
Give him proficiency in a skill that the MM Thri-Kreen has.
Give him proficiency with Thri-Kreen weapons
He gets to speak and understand the Thri-Kreen language fluently.

MadGrady
2014-10-29, 12:52 PM

Take the two highest Ability Scores from the MM, make the highest a +2 and the second a +1.
Let him pick two spells from its innate psionic spellcasting and use them with the Ability Score in the MM.

This is good, I like this. One potential change I would make is have the innate spellcasting be just 1/Long Rest

Scarce
2014-10-29, 01:06 PM

That sounds pretty good so far, but the character is non-psionic. Should I substitute that with the Thri-Kreen miltiweapon fighting or natural armor+2? What should I do about the Chameleon Carapace (advantage on stealth Dex checks) and standing leap features?

TheDeadlyShoe
2014-10-29, 01:14 PM
Give him both special powers.

For the natural armor...engh. A +2 bonus would be kinda huge. Just let him use something like ac 12+dex as the base formula rather than ac10 + dex. If he's unarmored for whatever reason it helps, but has little effect otherwise.

Draken
2014-10-29, 01:18 PM
That sounds pretty good so far, but the character is non-psionic. Should I substitute that with the Thri-Kreen miltiweapon fighting or natural armor+2? What should I do about the Chameleon Carapace (advantage on stealth Dex checks) and standing leap features?

Don't give multiattack, natural armor would replace their base C to 13+Dex, not give any kind of bonus. Chameleon Carapace and Standing Leap could in theory be given free of charge, if you are ditching the innate spellcasting.

Easy_Lee
2014-10-29, 01:23 PM
Don't give multiattack, natural armor would replace their base C to 13+Dex, not give any kind of bonus. Chameleon Carapace and Standing Leap could in theory be given free of charge, if you are ditching the innate spellcasting.

This. Psionic variant could have the spells, and normal could have the chameleon carapace and leap. It'd be kind of like the difference between wood elves and high elves.

Rezby
2014-10-29, 03:51 PM
I'd stat out a thri-keen something like this:

Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 2, and your Constitution score increases by 1.
Size. Your size is Medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 35 feet (this would put them as fast as wood elves, which matches their high speed (40) without flat out making them better.
Darkvision. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Thri-Keen Weapon Training. You gain proficiency in the Gythka and Chatka (detailed below). They are Martial weapons, and you may take them if your starting equipment allows you to take a martial weapon normally.
Chameleon Carapace. You can change the color of your carapace to match the color and texture of your surroundings. You have advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks made to hide. You must still abide by the regular rules of hiding, as explained on page 177 of the Player's HandBook.
Standing Leap. You can long jump up to 2 times your Dexterity score, and high jump up to your Dexterity score, with or without a running start. (This is an extrapolation from the MM's entry which had 15 dex and long jump up to 30 and high jump up to 15).
Four Arms. You have 4 arms with which to hold things. 2 of them are minor arms, and you cannot wield heavy weapons or shields in them. You also cannot hold a shield while you wield a two-handed weapon. This does not grant you extra attacks besides those which you are normally granted.
Sleepless. You don't require sleep. However, you still must take long rests and can perform nothing more than a light task. As a result, your lifespan is only about 30 years.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common, and can speak Thri-Keen. Thri-Keen is a language that is entirely wordless, where thoughts and ideas are conveyed through specific clacking of mandibles, waving of antennae, and gesturing of hands. Only thri-keens have the physical features necessary to "speak" thri-keen. Most thri-keens have a difficult time learning other languages, as they simply lack, or possess in a different form, the physical features most other language-speaking creatures have.

Gythka: a two-handed polearm with a blade at each end. 1d8 slashing damage. 30 gp, 7 lbs.
Chatka: a flat, triangular wedge with three serrated blades. 1d6 slashing damage. Light, finesse, thrown (range 30/120 ft). 30 gp, 1 lb.

I tried to make it competitive and viable, without overshadowing other races. How does it look?

Easy_Lee
2014-10-29, 08:25 PM
Too strong Rezby. As written it can dual wield and use a shield at the same time, or dual wield and use a two-hander at the same time, or use a greatsword and heavy crossbow at the same time. Really four arms is just impossible to balance if you use them all at once. What if players use a greatsword and cast spells at the same time without the warcaster feat? I'd make it something simple, like "only two arms are battle-worthy, but your others can be used to draw and stow items, open doors, or use non-magical items on your turn."

Standing leap + 35' speed make it flat better at movement than any other race, and the obvious choice for many builds. The Chatka is exactly the same as a dagger except it does better damage, and the dagger was already very good for all its features. Chameleon Carpace granting advantage on hiding seems like it would make thri-kreen the only choice for rogues, shadow monks, and pretty much anybody who relies on stealth.

I think it needs to be toned down quite a bit.

Theodoxus
2014-10-29, 08:45 PM
I tend to agree with Easy Lee (other than the chatka, as it's a race specific martial weapon - as such, it would do 1d6 damage).

What I'd proffer would be:

Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 2, and your Constitution score increases by 1.
Speed Your base walking speed is 30 feet. 3/long rest you can increase your speed by 10 for 1 hour. This speed does not stack with Fast Movement provided by Barbarians or Unarmored Movement provided by Monks.
Darkvision. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Thri-Keen Weapon Training. You gain proficiency in the Gythka and Chatka. They are Martial weapons, and you may take them if your starting equipment allows you to take a martial weapon normally.
Chameleon Carapace. You can change the color of your carapace to match the color and texture of your natural surroundings. Once changed, the carapace lasts until your next short rest. You have advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks made to hide in the matched terrain. You must still abide by the regular rules of hiding, as explained on page 177 of the Player's HandBook.
Standing Leap. You can long jump up to 2 times your Dexterity score, and high jump up to your Dexterity score, with or without a running start.
Four Arms. You have 4 arms with which to hold things. 2 of them are minor arms, and you cannot wield heavy weapons or shields in them. You also cannot hold a shield while you wield a two-handed weapon. This does not grant you extra attacks besides those which you are normally granted.
Sleepless. You don't require sleep. However, you still must take long rests and can perform nothing more than a light task. As a result, your lifespan is only about 30 years.
Languages. You can comprehend, read, and write Common, and can speak Thri-Keen. Thri-Keen is a language that is entirely wordless, where thoughts and ideas are conveyed through specific clacking of mandibles, waving of antennae, and gesturing of hands. Only thri-keens have the physical features necessary to "speak" thri-keen. Most thri-keens have a difficult time learning other languages, as they simply lack, or possess in a different form, the physical features most other language-speaking creatures have. (Basically being a Wookiee is a massive penalty - but flavorful).

Scarce
2014-10-30, 12:03 AM
You know, I think Theodoxus is getting very close. Still, it might be a little powerful (especially with the wording of Four Arms). I submit my revision:

Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Thri-Keen Weapon Training. You gain proficiency in the Gythka and Chatka. They are Martial weapons, and you may take them if your starting equipment allows you to take a martial weapon normally.
Claws. You make two unarmed attacks with your claws. This does not stack with extra attacks gained from class features. Melee Weapon Attack: reach 5 ft. , one target. Hit: (2d4 + Str) slashing damage.
Chameleon Carapace. You can change the color of your carapace to match the color and texture of your natural surroundings. Once changed, the carapace lasts until your next short rest. You have advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks made to hide in the matched terrain. You must still abide by the regular rules of hiding, as explained on page 177 of the Player's HandBook.
Standing Leap. You can long jump up to 2 times your Dexterity score, and high jump up to your Dexterity score, with or without a running start.
Four Arms. You have 4 arms with which to hold things. 2 of them are minor arms, and cannot hold shields. The minor arms can only wield light weapons, and takes disadvantage on attack rolls with such weapons. These arms do not grant extra attacks besides those which you are normally granted.
Languages. You can comprehend, read, and write Common, and can speak Thri-Keen. Thri-Keen is a language that is entirely wordless, where thoughts and ideas are conveyed through specific clacking of mandibles, waving of antennae, and gesturing of hands. Only thri-keens have the physical features necessary to "speak" thri-keen. Most thri-keens have a difficult time learning other languages, as they simply lack, or possess in a different form, the physical features most other language-speaking creatures have.