PDA

View Full Version : Diety of Law, Balance, and Death.

Elric VIII
2014-10-29, 12:51 PM
I'm interested in finding a god that I can use for a reboot of one of my favorite characters. Previously, he was a diety-less Cleric/Church Inquisitor/Bone Knight that focused on buffing allies and combatting other casters via Divine Defiance and mounted charging. He was a LN champion of balance and order (not necessarily good, but not very evil) that used the focused devotion of undead to enforce his beliefs. He also used the Bone Knight's ability to create intelligent undead as a means of "punishing" the unlawful he has slain, only releasing them from undeath once they had served their penance. As a note, I played Bone Knight as setting-neutral, basically by making the Karnathi undead generic undead.

I've been looking for a god to fit him, but I have not found one that fits too well. My best candidates are Wee Jas and Anubis (Dieties and Demigods). The issue is that Wee Jas focuses more on mysticism than law and death and Anubis, while very close, does not condone the creation of undead (and would probably have issue with the skeletal steed class feature of Bone Knight). Is there a god that better fits with this character?

Eonir
2014-10-29, 06:26 PM
I want to say there was an undead goddess from Libris Mortis that fits your description. I am AFB right now though, so I can't confirm that.

Finwaell
2014-10-29, 11:42 PM
After some consideration, the closest I have found is Kelemvor from the Forgotten Realms setting. His domains are Death, Fate and Justice and his symbol looks like just what you are looking for (Skeletal hand and arm holding balanced golden scales). :)

Xerlith
2014-10-30, 02:44 AM
Except Kelemvor is a LN with LG tendencies (read his story) and he basically finds Undead to be the greatest spit in his face. Ever. Since we're talking FR, his predecessor, Jergal, might be of more interest to you.

But, arguably, the closest to what you want is Wee Jas.

KillianHawkeye
2014-10-30, 03:02 AM
If you can't find a better option and your DM is willing to work with you, you could try back-porting the 4th Edition goddess known simply as The Raven Queen.

She was the goddess of death, fate, and (because somebody needed to have it) winter. She was an enemy of Orcus, who jealously wanted to usurp her dominion over death and the undead. As for alignment, The Raven Queen was unaligned--alignments worked differently in 4E and "unaligned" basically ran the gamut from LN to CN--but as the goddess of fate I'd say she at least leaned more to the side of Law.

Of course, you needn't copy her exactly, but she wouldn't be a terrible place to start. She's definitely one of the most neutral (with respect to good or evil) deities of death that I'm aware of, since most of the ones in 3rd Edition are stuck being evil.

Sian
2014-10-30, 03:02 AM
Hades, after having removed the disneyfication (which turned him faintly evil, and much less lawful), would probably land somewhere in the vicinity of what you want.

Inevitability
2014-10-30, 10:35 AM
If you can't find a better option and your DM is willing to work with you, you could try back-porting the 4th Edition goddess known simply as The Raven Queen.

She was the goddess of death, fate, and (because somebody needed to have it) winter. She was an enemy of Orcus, who jealously wanted to usurp her dominion over death and the undead. As for alignment, The Raven Queen was unaligned--alignments worked differently in 4E and "unaligned" basically ran the gamut from LN to CN--but as the goddess of fate I'd say she at least leaned more to the side of Law.

Of course, you needn't copy her exactly, but she wouldn't be a terrible place to start. She's definitely one of the most neutral (with respect to good or evil) deities of death that I'm aware of, since most of the ones in 3rd Edition are stuck being evil.

Raven Queen was one of my favorite 4e deities (why didn't she make it to 5e?) so I'm seconding this.

Elric VIII
2014-10-31, 06:11 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, I will look into them. I didn't really consider Hades because I'm not really sure why he's supposed to be Evil.

Also, WRT the Raven Queen, I thought she essentially ate Nerull and took over his domains.

HighWater
2014-10-31, 08:51 AM
Greek Hades is pretty LN (not Evil).
He's also responsible for keeping the dead in the Underworld, so I'm not sure he'd approve of a cleric of his making undead...

Tragak
2014-10-31, 10:06 AM
Greek Hades is pretty LN (not Evil).
He's also responsible for keeping the dead in the Underworld, so I'm not sure he'd approve of a cleric of his making undead... Ah, but reanimating the bodies makes it harder for the souls to escape :smallwink:

Inevitability
2014-10-31, 11:07 AM
Also, WRT the Raven Queen, I thought she essentially ate Nerull and took over his domains.

Kind of. I believe Divine Power (4e's Complete Divine) spoke about the Raven Queen becoming a mortal sorceress who displayed such power even after dead that Nerull took her as his cohort. Enter a bit of backstabbing, and next thing the RQ was the death god. Later on she gained Winter and Fate as additional domains for fighting some rogue gods or something. I honestly don't know much about her.

HighWater
2014-11-01, 06:55 PM
Ah, but reanimating the bodies makes it harder for the souls to escape :smallwink:

He creates intelligent undead though, to punish his opponents and make them pay for their crimes. So he's presumably yanking their souls out of the afterlife, rather than making it harder for them to leave. Hades would be rightly annoyed. :smallwink:

KillianHawkeye
2014-11-01, 07:18 PM
Kind of. I believe Divine Power (4e's Complete Divine) spoke about the Raven Queen becoming a mortal sorceress who displayed such power even after dead that Nerull took her as his cohort. Enter a bit of backstabbing, and next thing the RQ was the death god. Later on she gained Winter and Fate as additional domains for fighting some rogue gods or something. I honestly don't know much about her.

Yeah, it was something along those lines.