PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder The Gun Mage [Magus Alternative Class] [Iron Kingdoms]

Nerdynick
2014-10-29, 03:01 PM
Dear Forum Hive Mind,

I was introduced to the tabletop miniatures wargame Warmachine (http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/welcome-to-warmachine), which some of you are no doubt familiar with, in my early high school years. And while the hobby became too expensive to maintain, I remained active in my local roleplaying community and had purchased the Iron Kingdoms Roleplaying Game (the original d20 version, not the new one), the world of which I had fallen in love with. As Warmachine progressed, they introduced many more models and technologies that I felt moved away from the original vision of the IK RPG. Now, that is of course there prerogative and I thought it added much to the wargame, but making technology such as guns (especially with brass cartridges) more common and their incarnation of the Iosan elves were not what I had in my mind's eye. The local RPG community in my hometown wasn't quite as stricken as myself with the world, so I mostly let my hopes of running the excellent Witchfire Trilogy ebb. When they announced that they would be releasing the next edition of the IKRPG, I was thrilled, but when it came out, I was underwhelmed. It is my personal opinion that tabletop rules and RPG rules should stay far away from each other. I know a lot of people were happy with this change and that is fine. I, however, remain beholden to my beloved d20 system with all of its quirky and byzantine rules. Oh, and occasionally delve into Shadowrun or WoD. So, having moved to college last year, I hoped to find greener pastures. I believe this is the case and the time of the Witchfire is fast approaching my new RPG community. But first, I needed to update the IKRPG rules from their not-so-great incarnation in the original d20 material to a more balanced, playable, and compatible Pathfinder version. Ladies and gentlemen of the forums, I bring you:

TL;DR I'm updating the Gun Mage from the old Iron Kingdoms d20 RPG to a Pathfinder version. The intention is to make something usable in all PF games, but with a leaning towards IK. Using PF firearms rules. Also, first time homebrewing.

The Gun Mage

http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u502/Nork4/pewpew.png

There exists a rare breed of individuals in the world- men and women for whom marksmanship and magic are one and the same. These talented few, known as gun mages, are a breed apart from other spellcasters. Though they can toss lightning bolts with the best of them, they are just as comfortable amidst the chaos of battle as they are in weaving spells, often more so. Gun mages are sorcerers, but the similarities are few, for gun mages form intense and arcane bonds with firearms, allowing them to work their magic through the state-of-the-art weapons and make them perform in supernatural ways.

Role: A gun mage is neither a world-class pistoleer nor a font of arcane might. To be a gun mage is to dip a foot into both waters. They draw their strength from combining the two paths in new and unexpected ways, surprising the enemy with liberal usage of unconventional warfare.
Note: Gun Mage is an alternate class for the Magus base class, therefore you cannot take levels in both
Alignment: Any
Hit Die: d8
Starting Wealth: 4d6 x 10 gp (average 140 gp.) In addition, each character begins play with an outfit worth 10 gp or less.
Class Skills: Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Fly (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (Arcana) (Int), Knowledge (Dungeoneering) (Int), Perception (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Swim (Str), Use Magic Device (Cha)
Skill Ranks per Level: 2+ Intelligence modifier

Table: Gun Mage

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th

+0
+0
+2
+2
Arcane Pool, Cantrips, Gunsmith, Gun Sorcery, Magelock Bond
-
-
-
-
-

+1
+0
+3
+3
Spellshot
-
-
-
-
-

+2
+1
+3
+3
Arcana
-
-
-
-
-

+3
+1
+4
+4
Spell Versatility
-
-
-
-

+3
+1
+4
+4
Bonus Feat
-
-
-
-

+4
+2
+5
+5
Arcana
-
-
-
-

+5
+2
+5
+5
Cast Rune Bullets, Reinforcing Runes
-
-
-

+6
+2
+6
+6
Improved Gun Sorcery
-
-
-

+6
+3
+6
+6
Arcana
-
-
-

+7
+3
+7
+7
Fighter Training
-
-

+8
+3
+7
+7
Bonus Feat, Improved Spell Versatility
-
-

+9
+4
+8
+8
Arcana
-
-

+9
+4
+8
+8
Gun Training
-

+10
+4
+9
+9
Great Gun Sorcery
-

+11
+5
+9
+9
Arcana
-

+12
+5
+10
+10
Arcane Inferno

+12
+5
+10
+10
Bonus Feat

+13
+6
+11
+11
Arcana

+14
+6
+11
+11
Greater Spell Versatility

+15
+6
+12
+12
Supreme Gun Sorcery

Table: Gun Mage Spells Known

Level
0th
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-

-
-
-

-
-
-

-
-
-

-
-

-
-

-
-

-

-

-

Class Features:

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A gun mage is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, and with all firearms. A gun mage is also proficient with light armor. He can cast gun mage spells while wearing light armor without incurring the normal arcane spell failure chance. Like any other arcane spellcaster, a gun mage wearing medium armor, heavy armor, or a shield incurs a chance of arcane spell failure if the spell in question has a somatic component. A multiclass gun mage still incurs the normal arcane spell failure chance for arcane spells received from other classes.

Spells: A gun mage casts arcane spells drawn from the magus spell list. A gun mage can cast any spell he knows without preparing it ahead of time. To learn or cast a spell, a gun mage must have a Charisma score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class (DC) for a saving throw against a gun mage’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the gun mage’s Charisma modifier.

A gun mage can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given on Table: Gun Mage. In addition, he receives bonus spells per day if he has a high Charisma score.

The gun mage’s selection of spells is extremely limited. A gun mage begins play knowing four 0-level spells and two 1st-level spells of the gun mage’s choice. At each new gun mage level, he gains one or more new spells, as indicated on Table: Gun Mage Spells Known. (Unlike spells per day, the number of spells a gun mage knows is not affected by his Charisma score).

Upon reaching 5th level, and at every third gun mage level after that, a gun mage can choose to learn a new spell in place of one he already knows. In effect, the gun mage “loses” the old spell in exchange for the new one. The new spell’s level must be the same as that of the spell being exchanged, and it must be at least one level lower than the highest-level gun mage spell the gun mage can cast. A gun mage may swap only a single spell at any given level, and must choose whether or not to swap the spell at the same time that he gains new spells known for the level.

A gun mage need not prepare his spells in advance. He can cast any spell he knows at any time, assuming he has not yet used up his allotment of spells per day for the spell’s level.

A gun mage may use a firearm in place of any spell focus component, and does not require inexpensive material components for his spells. A gun mage counts as having the Eschew Material Components feat for fulfilling any prerequisites.

Arcane Pool (Su): At 1st level, the gun mage gains a pool of personal eldritch energy, equal to ½ his gun mage level (minimum 1) + his Charisma modifier. The pool refreshes after 8 hours of sleep. He can draw upon this pool to fuel his powers and enhance his firearms.

At 1st level, a gun mage can expend 1 point from his arcane pool as a swift action to grant any firearm on his person a +1 enhancement bonus for 1 minute. For every four levels beyond 1st, the firearm gains another +1 enhancement bonus, to a maximum of +5 at 17th level. These bonuses can be added to the firearm, stacking with existing weapon enhancement to a maximum of +5. Multiple uses of this ability do not stack with themselves.

At 5th level, these bonuses can be used to add any of the following weapon properties: distance, flaming, flaming burst, frost, ghost touch, icy burst, keen, reliable, shock, shocking burst.

Adding these properties consumes an amount of bonus equal to the property’s base price modifier. These properties are added to any the weapon already has, but duplicates do not stack. If the weapon is not magical, at least a +1 enhancement bonus must be added before any other properties can be added. These bonuses cannot be changed until the next time the gun mage uses this ability. These bonuses do not function if the firearm is wielded by anyone other than the gun mage.

A gun mage can enhance a number of firearms this way up to his Charisma modifier, however, he must pay the cost for each weapon separately. He can enhance multiple firearms with the same swift action, and does not necessarily need to be wielding them.

Cantrips (Sp): Gun mages learn a number of cantrips, or 0-level spells, as noted on Table: Gun Mage Spells Known under “Spells Known.” These spells are cast like any other spell, but they do not consume any slots and may be used again.

Gunsmithing: At 1st level, a gun mage gains one of the following firearms of her choice: blunderbuss, musket, or pistol. His starting weapon is battered, and only he knows how to use it properly. All other creatures treat his gun as if it had the broken condition. If the weapon already has the broken condition, it does not work at all for anyone else trying to use it. This starting weapon can only be sold for scrap (it’s worth 4d10 gp when sold). The gunslinger also gains Gunsmithing as a bonus feat. A gun mage counts as a gunslinger for the purposes of the Gunsmithing feat.

Gun Sorcery (Ex): At 1st level, a gun mage learns to cast spells and wield his firearms at the same time. This functions much like two-weapon fighting, but the off-hand weapon is a spell that is being cast. To use this ability the gun mage must have one hand free (even if the spell being cast does not have somatic components), while wielding a light or one-handed firearm in the other hand. As a full-round action, he can make all of his attacks with his firearm(s) at a -2 penalty and can also cast any spell from the magus spell list with a casting time of 1 standard action that has a range of Personal or Touch, but in the latter case the spell must target the gun mage himself. A gun mage may choose to siphon some of the energy from the spell into his first shot made that round, taking a further penalty on all of his attack rolls that round, up to his Charisma modifier, but adding his Charisma modifier to the first damage roll he makes with his firearm. This bonus damage is force damage and is multiplied on a critical hit. The gun mage must cast at least a 1st level spell to gain this bonus damage. If the attack misses, the extra damage is forfeit, but further attacks still take the penalty. A gun mage can choose to cast the spell first or make the weapon attacks first, but if he has more than one attack, he cannot cast the spell between weapon attacks. He may still increase the damage of his first shot even if he makes all of his attacks before casting his spell. The gun sorcery ability can only be used to cast spells from the magus spell list.

Magelock Bond (Su): At 1st level, a gun mage may forge a magical bond with firearms made out of a special alloy and known as magelock firearms. These firearms are especially attuned to the sorcerous powers of gun mages and once a gun mage bonds with one, requiring a ritual that takes 8 hours and materials worth 200 gp per gun mage level, a gun mage unlocks the true potential of their power. A bonded magelock weapon bestows all the benefits described below. A gun mage may bond with a number of magelock weapons equal to his Charisma modifier. Magelock weapons never take damage from a gun mage’s spellshot class feature, whether or not they are bonded to the gun mage using them.

Gun Mage Class Level
Special

1st-2nd
Alertness, Arcane Conductor, Share Spells

3rd-4th
Arcane Capacitor

5th-6th
Arcane Trigger

7th-8th
-

9th-10th
Gunsight

11th-12th
-

13th-14th
Gun Scry

15th-16th
-

17th-18th
Dauntless

19th-20th
-

Alertness: While a gun mage is holding his bonded magelock, he gains the Alertness feat.

Share Spells: Any spell that takes effect on the gun mage may, at the gun mage’s discretion, affect his bonded magelock(s) as well, if they are a valid target for that spell.

Arcane Conductor: Whenever a gun mage uses his arcane pool ability to enhance his bonded magelock, one expenditure of arcane pool points will enhance all of his bonded magelocks. Additionally, the duration of these enhancements is doubled.

Arcane Capacitor: At 3rd level, a bonded magelock firearm can store a small amount of sorcerous energy within itself. A gun mage may store a number of arcane pool points within a light or one handed bonded magelock firearm equal to 1 + his Charisma modifier, or 3 + his Charisma modifier within a two-handed magelock firearm. Storing these points within the bonded magelock is exactly as if the gun mage had expended that many points from his arcane pool for that day, however these points persist within the bonded magelock indefinitely and can be drawn upon by their master as long as the weapon is on his person (he need not be wielding it). Only the gun mage with whom the magelock firearm is bonded may access these points. If another gun mage forges a bond with a firearm that already has points stored within it, those points are lost.

Arcane Trigger: At 5th level a gun mage may cause his bonded firearm to discharge so long as it is within 30 feet of him and loaded. The gun mage has no control over the gun’s aim, but this could have numerous consequences if it is loaded with a rune bullet, or even just to serve as a good distraction.

Gunsight: At 9th level gun mage may concentrate on one of his bonded magelocks and magically see out of the sights or barrel of that firearm instead of using his own eyes, allowing him to make spectacular trick shots and aim the weapon without looking. By spending a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity concentrating, he may make a single attack with his bonded magelock while maintaining total cover.

Gun Scry: A gun mage of 13th level or higher may scry on one of his bonded magelocks (as if casting the scrying spell) once per day.

Dauntless: At 17th level, a gun mage’s bonded magelock never misfires. Even on a roll of natural 1, the attack misses as normal with no adverse effect for the firearm.

Spellshot (Su): At 2nd level, whenever a gun mage casts a spell that requires a touch attack or ranged touch attack from the magus spell list, he can deliver the spell through a bullet. Instead of the free touch attack normally allowed to deliver the spell, a gun mage can make one free ranged attack with his firearm (at his highest base attack bonus) as part of casting this spell. If successful, this ranged attack deals its normal damage as well as the effects of the spell. If the gun mage makes this attack in concert with gun sorcery, this ranged attack takes all the penalties accrued by gun sorcery attacks. This attack uses the weapon’s range for both the firearm and the spell, but each uses its own critical range and multiplier. The firearm must be loaded to be used in conjunction with this class feature.

Normal weapons are not capable of handling the stresses such power puts upon them. For every spell level cast through the weapon this way, the weapon takes 1 point of damage (ignoring hardness). Cantrips aren’t potent enough to cause degradation, so they can be used with no damage to the weapon. Magelock weapons are immune to this damage. This damage can be repaired as normal, unless the firearm is completely destroyed.

Arcana: As he gains levels, a gun mage learns arcane secrets tailored to his unique combination of spellcasting and shooting. Starting at 3rd level, a gun mage gains one arcana. He gains an additional arcana for every three levels of gun mage attained after 3rd. Unless specifically noted in an arcana’s description, a gun mage cannot select a particular arcana more than once. Arcana that affect spells can only be used to modify spells from the magus spell list unless otherwise noted.

The following Magus Arcana can be taken by Gun Mages as a Gun Mage Arcana so long as they meet the prerequisites for them and could be taken by a Magus of their Gun Mage level. Any Magus Arcana that uses Intelligence uses Charisma instead when taken as a Gun Mage Arcana. Any Arcana that requires the weapon to strike a creature is wasted if the attack misses with a firearm. Any references to the Spellstrike ability of the Magus are replaced with references to the Spellshot ability of the Gun Mage. Despite names that reference melee weapons, any of the following Arcana will function with firearms: Arcane Accuracy, Arcane Cloak, Arcane Edge, Arcane Scent, Concentrate, Bane Blade, Devoted Blade, Dispelling Strike, Enduring Blade, Empowered Magic, Familiar, Hasted Assault, Lingering Pain, Maximized Magic, Prescient Attack, Prescient Defense, Quickened Magic, Reflection, Rod Mastery, Rod Wielder, Scroll Mastery, Silent Magic, Spell Shield, Spell Trickery, Still Magic, Wand Mastery, Wand Wielder.

Gunfighter (Ex): By expending 1 arcane pool point, the gun mage will not provoke attacks of opportunity for attacking with a ranged weapon in melee combat for a number of rounds equal to his Charisma modifier. While in effect, a gun mage can make attacks of opportunity with ranged weapons as if they had a reach of 5 feet. A gun mage must be 8th level before selecting this arcana.

Ricochet (Su): The gun mage can fire a shot at an object with a hardness of 8 or greater and have it ricochet off with arcane accuracy. When he does so, use the position of the object to determine line of sight to a target, and this square is considered the new origin square of the attack, using it to determine the effects of cover, but the gun mage’s own to determine the effects of concealment. The total distance between the gun mage, the object, and the target is used to determine penalties for long range and armor penetration of the shot. The use of this ability costs one arcane pool point and takes a standard action. A gun mage must be 6th level before selecting this arcana.

Arcane Draw (Su): The gun mage may spend one point from his arcane pool to call his firearm(s) to his hands from a distance. He may cause any unattended firearm he has line of sight to into his open hand as a standard action. The firearm moves at a speed of 30 ft per round, so if it further than 30 ft from the gun mage, it will continue to move towards the gun mage so long as it is not intercepted and the gun mage continues to concentrate on it (determine the difficulty of any concentration checks as if it were a 1st level spell). If the firearm is within 30 ft of the gun mage when arcane draw is used, then it is only a move action, and if the firearm is on the gun mage’s person it can be summoned to his hands as a free action. If the gun mage has the Quick Draw feat and the firearm is on his person, he may use arcane draw as an immediate action.

Grapeshot (Su): A gun mage spend one arcane pool point to shatter a bullet exiting the barrel of his firearm, granting it the scatter quality for that shot. This ability may not be used in conjunction with weapons that already have the scatter quality or with rune bullets. Using this ability is a standard action.

Split Shot (Su): A gun mage may use his arcane power to split a bullet into two as it exits the barrel of his firearm. Each fragment of the bullet use the same attack roll to determine success (with a -4 penalty on the attack roll) and deal normal damage for the firearm. For every 5 points of base attack bonus above +6, the gun mage may fragment the bullet again to a maximum of four fragments at base attack bonus +16 or higher. However, each fragment after the second adds a cumulative -2 penalty to the attack roll (-6 for three fragments, -8 for four fragments). Regardless of the number of fragments, precision based damage is only applied once and on a critical hit, only one fragment deals critical damage. Split shot consumes one point from a gun mage’s arcane pool. This ability may not be used with weapons that have the scatter quality or with rune bullets. A gun mage must know the Grapeshot arcana and be at least 9th level before he learns this one. Using this ability is a standard action.

Firestorm (Su): A gun mage may send fragments of his bullets on impossible trajectories towards different enemies. When the gun mage uses the Split Shot arcana, he may designate a different target for each fragment instead of firing them all at the same unlucky sod. The gun mage makes a separate attack roll for each fragment, even if fired at the same target. Each fragment is eligible for precision based and critical damage. This ability may not be used with weapons that have the scatter quality or with rune bullets. A gun mage must know the Split Shot arcana and be 12th level before he learns this one. Using this ability is a full-attack action.

Arcane Loading (Su): A gun mage with this arcana may load his firearms without use of his hands. This arcana does not reduce loading times, but it does not cost an action to reload. Consequently, a gun mage wielding two pistols could fire them alternately every turn. This arcana costs one point from the gun mage’s arcane pool and lasts for a number of rounds equal to his Charisma bonus plus his gun mage level.

Penetrating Shot (Su): A gun mage who knows this arcana may spend one arcane pool point to change the range of his weapon into a line with a range equal to the firearm. The gun mage makes one attack roll and everyone in the line may make a reflex save with a DC equal to the gun mage’s attack roll to avoid damage. Those who do not make their reflex save take full damage as if they had been shot by the firearm, although precision based damage does not apply to this damage roll. Using this ability is a standard action.

Shrapnel (Su): A gun mage using this arcana may expend one point from his arcane pool, discharge his weapon, and designate one point within range of his firearm. The gun mage makes an attack roll and every creature within 10 ft of the designated point takes full damage as if they had been shot by the firearm (precision based damage does not apply). Creatures may make a reflex save with a DC equal to the gun mage’s attack roll for half damage. Using this ability is a standard action. A gun mage must be at least 6th level before selecting this Arcana.

Phase Shot (Su): A gun mage may expend two arcane pool points to make an attack roll against a target known to him and within range of his firearm. The bullet travels in a straight path, passing through any nonmagical barriers in its way (magical barriers stop the bullet). This ability negates cover, concealment, armor, and shield modifiers, resolving against the target’s touch AC even if it is further than one range increment away. Using this ability is a standard action. A gun mage must be 12th level before selecting this Arcana.

Guided Shot (Su): A gun mage may cause his bullets to track a target with the expenditure of one arcane pool point. The target of a guided shot is denied their dexterity bonus to armor class, but the use of this ability requires great concentration on the gun mage’s part and slows the projectile as it weaves towards the target, so this shot is never resolved against the target’s touch AC and requires a full-round action. A gun mage must be 12th level before selecting this arcana.

Mark Target (Su): A gun mage may use one point from his arcane pool as a swift action to cause a target he just struck with a firearm to be outlined in faerie fire (as per the spell) for a number of rounds equal to his gun mage level plus his Charisma modifier.

Thunderstruck (Su): A gun mage who knows this arcana may redistribute the force of their shot in order to push an opponent away by expending one arcane pool point. This may substitute any ranged attack with a firearm that the gun mage makes, including one made as part of a full attack, and the attack roll is substituted for the result of a combat maneuver roll. If successful, the target is pushed back as if by a successful bull rush attempt.

Disarm(Su): A gun mage who knows this arcana may shoot something out of an enemy’s hand by expending one arcane pool point. This may substitute any ranged attack with a firearm that the gun mage makes, including one made as part of a full attack, and the attack roll is substituted for the result of a combat maneuver roll. If successful, the target drops an item as if by a successful disarm attempt.

Sunder (Su): A gun mage who knows this arcana may target their enemy’s equipment by expending one arcane pool point. This may substitute any ranged attack with a firearm that the gun mage makes, including one made as part of a full attack, and the attack roll is substituted for the result of a combat maneuver roll. If successful, the target’s item is damaged as if by a successful sunder attempt. Within the weapon’s first range increment, the object’s hardness is ignored.

Trip (Su): A gun mage who knows this arcana may, by expending one arcane pool point, knock an opponent down. This may substitute any ranged attack with a firearm that the gun mage makes, including one made as part of a full attack, and the attack roll is substituted for the result of a combat maneuver roll. If successful, the target is knocked down, as if by a successful trip attempt.

Akimbo (Ex): A gun mage who knows this arcana may ignore the somatic components for any spells he casts through the spellshot or gun sorcery class feature so long as he is wielding a firearm in each hand or wielding a two-handed firearm. This arcana does not allow him to cast spells from any other class without somatic components and does not permit him to cast spells without somatic components so long as he has at least one free hand. He is still subject to arcane spell failure if he is wearing medium or heavy armor.

Broad Study (Ex): A gun mage selects another one of his spellcasting classes. The gun mage can use his spellshot and gun sorcery abilities while casting or using spells from the spell list of that class. This does not allow him to cast arcane spells from that class’s spell list without suffering the normal chances of arcane spell failure, unless the spell lacks somatic components. A gun mage must have at least 6 levels of gun mage before choosing this arcana.

Expanded Knowledge (Ex): When a gun mage selects this arcana, he must select one spell from the sorcerer spell list that is of a gun mage spell level he can cast. He adds this spell to his list of spells known as a gun mage spell of its sorcerer spell level. He can select two spells to add in this way, but both must be at least one level lower than the highest-level gun mage spell he can cast. A gun mage can select this arcana more than once.

Daring Arcana (Ex): A gun mage gains the Deadeye and Quick Clear deeds from the gunslinger’s list of deeds. The gun mage can spend points from his arcane pool as grit points to use these deeds and any other deeds he gains from the deed arcana, but he cannot use points from his arcane pool to use deeds from other classes or those gained by feats, nor can he regain points to his arcane pool as a gunslinger would regain grit points. Effects that add to, reduce the cost of, or otherwise affect grit or panache don’t affect the arcane pool of a gun mage with this arcana.

Arcane Deed (Ex): When a gun mage takes this arcana, he can pick any one deed from the gunslinger class feature as long as that deed can be used by a gunslinger of his gun mage level. The gun mage can use that deed by using points from his arcane pool as the grit points required for that deed. A gun mage can take this arcana multiple times, each time gaining a new deed. The gun mage must have the daring arcana to select this arcana.

Arcane Piercing (Su): A gun mage with this arcana can spend one point from his arcane pool to reduce the damage reduction of an enemy he can see within 30 ft by a number of points equal to his Charisma modifier for a number of rounds equal to the gun mage’s level + Charisma modifier. This ability only affects the gun mage’s ranged attacks, not his melee attacks or any of his allies’ attacks. The target of this ability may make a Fortitude save with a DC equal to that of a 2nd level spell cast by the gun mage to negate this ability. A gun mage must be 6th level before he can select this arcana.

Defensive Shooting (Ex): A gun mage with this arcana can spend one point from his arcane pool to shoot an incoming projectile out of the air as an immediate action. When the gun mage or someone within 30 ft of him would normally be hit by a ranged attack, he may deflect it so that the target takes no damage. The gun mage must be wielding a loaded firearm, have line of effect, and be aware of the attack and may not be flat footed. Massive ranged weapons such as boulders, ballista bolts, and cannon balls, as well as ranged attacks generated by natural attacks or spell effects, cannot be deflected.

Spell Versatility (Su): At 4th level the gun mage gains an increased flexibility in his spellcasting. As a swift action, he can regain an expended spell slot by expending a number of points from his arcane pool equal to the spell’s level.
Bonus Feats: At 5th level, and every six levels thereafter, a gun mage gains a bonus feat in addition to those gained from normal advancement. These bonus feats must be selected from those listed as Combat, Item Creation, or Metamagic feats. If the gun mage has access to Grit, either from levels in the Gunslinger class or the Amateur Gunslinger feat, they may also select Grit feats.

Cast Rune Bullets (Su): At 7th level, a gun mage learns how to imbue bullets he casts with arcane energy. By including shavings of gold and other magically conductive metals in the molten lead as he casts his bullets, and then inscribing upon them arcane sigils, he can infuse the bullet with magical power. This functions similarly to the Scribe Scroll feat, and costs the same as creating a scroll of that spell, except the spell inscribed upon the rune bullet must be a touch, ranged touch, cone, line, or spread. Furthermore, the spell is activated by shooting the bullet. This is a casting action and works much like activating a scroll, including all the limitations thereof. Any non-material components must be provided when the spell is cast from the rune bullet, and at the conclusion of the casting, a ranged attack is made, with any modifiers that would normally affect the ranged attack applying. If the spell required an attack roll to take effect, the ranged attack roll of the firearm delivering the bullet is substituted (if the bullet hits, then the spell takes effect). The spell effect is centered on the target of the ranged attack. The attacker may instead choose to target a specific grid intersection, much like attacking with a splash weapon, and must succeed on a ranged attack against AC 5. If the rune bullet misses the intended target, center the effect on a grid square 1d3 squares away in a random direction. On a misfire, the spell contained within the rune bullet takes effect in the attacker’s square. If the spell is a touch attack or ranged touch attack, it resolves against the attacker. If it is a spread, it is centered on the attacker. If the spell is a cone or line, it extends in a random direction from the attacker and affects him too. If the attacker takes damage from the spell effect, resolve the same damage against the firearm itself. This ability may only be used to enhance bullets, not pellets.

Reinforcing Runes (Su): At 7th level, a gun mage learns to reinforce the tools of his trade against the magical forces he channels through them. By spending 2 hours the gun mage may inscribe a firearm with magical runes. The runes halve the damage caused by the Spellshot ability and grant the weapon +1 hardness and +2 hit points for every two levels of gun mage the inscriber has at the time of etching the runes.

Improved Gun Sorcery (Ex): At 8th level, the gun mage’s ability to cast spells and make ranged attacks improves. When using the gun sorcery ability to add extra force damage to his attacks, the extra damage applies to all ranged attacks with firearms that round, not just the first one he makes.

Fighter Training (Ex): Starting at 10th level, a gun mage counts ½ his total gun mage level as his fighter level for the purpose of qualifying for feats. If he has levels in fighter, these levels stack.

Improved Spell Versatility (Su): At 11th level, the gun mage’s magical flexibility improves. When he uses his spell versatility ability, he only must expend a number of points from his arcane pool equal to ½ the spell’s level (minimum 1). Furthermore, he can buy a spell slot of a level greater than he can cast, though if he does not know any spells of that level he can only use it to cast spells improved by metamagic.

Gun Training (Ex): At 13th level, a gun mage may add his Dexterity modifier on damage rolls with all firearms.

Greater Gun Sorcery (Ex): At 14th level, the gun mage gains the ability to seamlessly merge his spellcasting and shooting. Whenever he uses the gun sorcery ability to add extra force damage to his attacks, the damage is equal to twice the penalty he takes on his attack rolls.

Arcane Inferno (Su): At 16th level the gun mage may, once per day as a full attack action, fire at each and every target within 30 ft, to a maximum of one target for every level of gun mage he has earned. Each attack uses the gun mage’s full base attack bonus, and each enemy may only be target by a single shot. This ability may not be used with weapons with the Scatter quality. The gun mage does not need to reload his weapon between these shots, the ammunition simply teleports into the weapon so long as the gun mage has ammunition available on his person. If the gun mage is wielding multiple firearms, he may choose which to attack with, but he is still limited in how many attacks he may make.

Greater Spell Versatility (Su): At 19th level, the gun mage reaches the pinnacle of magical fluidity. When he uses his Spell Versatility ability, he may temporarily add a spell to his list of spells known from the Sorcerer/Wizard spell list by expending a number of points equal to twice the level of the spell. This extra spell known persists for one minute. This ability is not halved by the gun mage’s improved spell versatility ability.

Eternal Magic (Su): At 20th level, the gun mage becomes a master of spells and combat. Choose one 1st level spell that he can cast with a range longer than personal. Any time he fires a non-rune cast bullet from one of his Bonded Magelock weapons, the bullet includes this spell, using his gun mage caster level for it’s caster level. If this bullet is also affected with Spellshot, both spells take effect on the creature that is hit by the bullet (if order is important, the gun mage decides what order they take effect in). This spell cannot be affected by metamagic, and all effects (including saving throws and caster level checks to overcome spell resistance) are as if the gun mage had cast from a 1st level spell slot.

Anyways, thank you for your attention. I appreciate all criticisms.

Multas Gratias,

Nerdynick

Edit:

10/29/14: Added the sentence "This ability may only be used to enhance bullets, not pellets." to the Cast Rune Bullets ability.

11/5/14: Changed Spellshot so that it doesn't allow spells to use the firearm's critical range and modifier.

At 2nd level, whenever a gun mage casts a spell that requires a touch attack or ranged touch attack from the magus spell list, he can deliver the spell through a bullet. Instead of the free touch attack normally allowed to deliver the spell, a gun mage can make one free ranged attack with his firearm (at his highest base attack bonus) as part of casting this spell. If successful, this ranged attack deals its normal damage as well as the effects of the spell. If the gun mage makes this attack in concert with gun sorcery, this ranged attack takes all the penalties accrued by gun sorcery attacks. This attack uses the weapon’s critical range (including modifications for Keen, or similar effects) and critical multiplier for both the firearm and the spell. The firearm must be loaded to be used in conjunction with this class feature.

Normal weapons are not capable of handling the stresses such power puts upon them. For every spell level cast through the weapon this way, the weapon takes 1 point of damage (ignoring hardness). Cantrips aren’t potent enough to cause degradation, so they can be used with no damage to the weapon. Magelock weapons are immune to this damage. This damage can be repaired as normal, unless the firearm is completely destroyed.

Changed the Dimensional Shunt ability to Arcane Inferno

Dimensional Shunt (Su): At 16th level, whenever an enemy attacks the gun mage and the gun mage is aware of the attack, the gun mage may, as an immediate action, choose to spend 2 points from his arcane pool to teleport up to 60 feet away to a point he has line of sight to. He may only use this ability up to his Charisma modifier times per day, regardless of how many arcane pool points he has.

Changed Cast Rune Bullets ability to omit the misfire value modification and make it a casting action, which also prevents non-spellcasters from firing them as rune bullets without UMD checks.

Cast Rune Bullets (Su): At 7th level, a gun mage learns how to imbue bullets he casts with arcane energy. By including shavings of gold and other magically conductive metals in the molten lead as he casts his bullets, and then inscribing upon them arcane sigils, he can infuse the bullet with magical power. This functions similarly to the Scribe Scroll feat, and costs the same as creating a scroll of that spell, except the spell inscribed upon the rune bullet must be a touch, ranged touch, cone, line, or spread. Furthermore, the spell is activated by shooting the bullet. If the spell required an attack roll to take effect, the ranged attack roll of the firearm delivering the bullet is substituted (if the bullet hits, then the spell takes effect). The spell effect is centered on the target of the ranged attack. The attacker may instead choose to target a specific grid intersection, much like attacking with a splash weapon, and must succeed on a ranged attack against AC 5. If the rune bullet misses the intended target, center the effect on a grid square 1d3 squares away in a random direction. On a misfire, the spell contained within the rune bullet takes effect in the attacker’s square. If the spell is a touch attack or ranged touch attack, it resolves against the attacker. If it is a spread, it is centered on the attacker. If the spell is a cone or line, it extends in a random direction from the attacker and affects him too. If the attacker takes damage from the spell effect, resolve the same damage against the firearm itself. The rune bullet does not have to be fired by the gun mage who created it, or even by a spellcaster. Anyone may fire a rune bullet from a firearm, even non-spellcasters, however the misfire value of a firearm firing a rune bullet goes up by 2 when wielded by a non-spellcaster (this penalty is ignored if the attacker has a number of ranks in Use Magic Device equal to the rune bullet’s spell level x 2). This ability may only be used to enhance bullets, not pellets.

Arcana added.

Magelock Bond added.

11/7/14: Changed Gun Sorcery and its improvements to work like Vital Shot

Gun Sorcery (Ex): At 1st level, a gun mage learns to cast spells and wield his firearms at the same time. This functions much like two-weapon fighting, but the off-hand weapon is a spell that is being cast. To use this ability the gun mage must have one hand free (even if the spell being cast does not have somatic components), while wielding a light or one-handed firearm in the other hand. As a full-round action, he can make all of his attacks with his firearm(s) at a -2 penalty and can also cast any spell from the magus spell list with a casting time of 1 standard action (any attack roll made as part of this spell also takes this penalty). If he casts this spell defensively, he can decide to take an additional penalty on his attack rolls, up to his Charisma bonus, and add the same amount as a circumstance bonus on his concentration check. If the check fails, the spell is wasted, but the attacks still take the penalty. A gun mage can choose to cast the spell first or make the weapon attacks first, but if he has more than one attack, he cannot cast the spell between weapon attacks. The gun sorcery ability can only be used to cast spells from the magus spell list.

Improved Gun Sorcery (Ex): At 8th level, the gun mage’s ability to cast spells and make ranged attacks improves. When using the Gun Sorcery ability, the gun mage receives a +2 circumstance bonus on concentration checks, in addition to any bonus granted by taking an additional penalty on the attack roll.

Greater Gun Sorcery (Ex): At 14th level, the gun mage gains the ability to seamlessly merge his spellcasting and shooting. Whenever he uses the gun sorcery ability, his concentration bonus equals double the amount of the attack penalty taken.

Supreme Gun Sorcery (Su): At 20th level, the gun mage becomes a master of spells and combat. Whenever he uses his gun sorcery ability, he does not need to make a concentration check to cast the spell defensively. Whenever the gun mage uses gun sorcery and his spell targets the same creature as his ranged attacks, he can choose to either increase the DC to resist the spell by +2, grant himself a +2 bonus on any checks made to overcome spell resistance, or grant himself a +2 circumstance bonus on all attack rolls made against the target during his turn.

11/13/14: Changed Supreme Gun Sorcery (in its revised version) to Eternal Magic.

Supreme Gun Sorcery (Su): At 20th level, the gun mage becomes a master of spells and combat. Whenever he uses his gun sorcery ability to add extra force damage to his attacks, the damage is equal to four times the penalty he takes on his attack rolls.

GGambrel
2014-10-29, 05:04 PM
Some brief comments, I may post more later:

Spellcasting - It looks to me you've given the Gun Mage a number of spells known similar to the bard. However, the magus's spell list seems quite a bit shorter to me than the bard's, likely making the Gun Mage's casting better than the Magus's. I think you'd be better off leaving the way spells are cast alone.

Spellshot - This seems VERY powerful. A Magus may be able to cast Vampiric Touch on a foe during melee combat, recovering his health as he fights, but a Gun Mage can do so at range, where casters typically want to be anyway.

Dimensional Shunt - This also seems VERY powerful. This essentially allows the Gun Mage to escape grapples or melee combat so long as he is hit (if I am reading it correctly) as an immediate action. In addition, he can avoid full attacks...

All in all I think the concept is interesting, but it seems like you've made the class strictly better than the Magus class. The Gun Mage should probably be toned down to keep it on equal footing with the Magus.

Nerdynick
2014-10-29, 09:51 PM
For spellcasting, I borrowed from the Eldritch Scion archetype, which uses the Bard spells known. Additionally, the inspirational material had them as being sorcerous in nature.

As for Spellshot, what else would you do to make a ranged combat alternative class for Magus? I mean, the Myrmidarch archetype allows a Magus to use a ranged spellstrike, so its not like its unprecedented.

Agree about Dimensional Shunt, but it was sort of a place holder for when I posted it. How does this look instead:

Arcane Inferno (Su): At 16th level the gun mage may, once per day as a full attack action, fire at each and every target within 30 ft, to a maximum of one target for every level of gun mage he has earned. Each attack uses the gun mage’s full base attack bonus, and each enemy may only be target by a single shot. This ability may not be used with weapons with the Scatter quality. The gun mage does not need to reload his weapon between these shots, the ammunition simply teleports into the weapon so long as the gun mage has ammunition available on his person. If the gun mage is wielding multiple firearms, he may choose which to attack with, but he is still limited in how many attacks he may make.

Kamai
2014-10-30, 12:32 PM
Looking at it, what bothers me is having both an unmodified spell combat and an improved spell channeling on an archetype that goes fully ranged. You reference Myrmidarch, but they give up Arcana for inferior abilities as well as giving up a spell slot per level as well as giving up Spell Recall to be able to do this.

If I remember right, the IK Gun Mage suffered some from action economy, but suffered a lot more from a simple lack of class features. I think having Spell Combat as it is becomes a little too much with the better spell channeling. I don't know if it's realistically that much of a nerf, but maybe restrict Gun Sorcery's free spellcast to something that affects only the Gun Mage, to get rid of the poor man's rapid shot but leave it space to self-buff?

Edit: If there's ever a Magus archetype that wants Arcane Bond (Item), it would be this one. How would you feel about letting them have an Arcane Bond (Gun), but if they have a Magelock weapon, they can instead use it as the Arcane Bond?

Nerdynick
2014-10-30, 01:15 PM
Arcane bond does sound reasonable, and would restrict their spell casting if they didn't have a gun, but it would be tacking yet another ability onto a class that needs to be toned down.

GGambrel
2014-10-30, 10:20 PM
Hello again,

I think the Arcane Inferno ability sounds preferable to Dimensional Shunt. My roommate thought an ability to shoot a bullet and then appear where it landed would be a cool ability to include (thought I should mention it). I think comparing the Gun Mage to the Arcane Archer is probably worthwhile, which I'm guessing you've already done a bit.

Since you seem to be basing it partly on the Myrmidarch, I think you should stick with the way it gets Diminished Spellcasting and Ranged Spellstrike (at LV 4). This would eliminate Spell Versatility and Greater Spell Versatility, and would help balance how much better being able to deliver touch spells from range is than while in melee (at least from my perspective).

Something I noticed on my most recent read-through is the Cast Rune Bullets ability seems to allow spellcasting essentially as an attack action. Given a firearm with multiple shots (or multiple loaded firearms and the Quickdraw feat), it looks like it would allow a Gun Mage to effectively cast a number of spells equal to their number of attack +1 with Gun Sorcery, or +2 using Spellshot with a Rune Bullet. I like the ability's concept quite a bit, but I think the way its currently worded is open to abuse. By treating the shooting of Rune Bullets as a casting action instead of an attack action, a Gun Mage can essentially continue using spells even when out of prepared spells, the same benefit wizards get from using scrolls. I also like the consequences of misfiring, but I think they could be lessened if you feel rewriting the ability makes it too weak.

Kamai
2014-10-31, 12:18 AM
Arcane bond does sound reasonable, and would restrict their spell casting if they didn't have a gun, but it would be tacking yet another ability onto a class that needs to be toned down.

I'm not sure that it's so far over the top like you make it sound. A very simple Fighter 2/Sor 8/Arcane Archer 10 has 16 BAB, 7th level spontaneous spells, the ability to send non-attack spells, the ability to have an always on enchantment set, in return for less versatility, and a few other neat abilities with that, as well as whatever abilities they pick up from Sorcerer 8 (maybe Arcane Bond + Metamagic Adept 2/day from Arcane?). While Gun Sorcery/Spellshot/Rune Bullets might be too much as they are, I think the rest of the class compares just fine with the simple Arcane Archer, gaining some more abilities (some of which must be shared with enhancing their weapon) in return for not getting 7th level spells (8th level spells if you use Wiz 8 instead) or the 4th iterative, as well as getting less spells overall.

Rune Bullet: While thematically off, I do agree with making it a casting action. Being able to Haste + Rapid Shot + Gun Sorcery Shocking Grasp runebullets might be a little too much boom. I can't think of a way to balance it out as an attack action myself. Maybe require the rune bullets to be quickened to use them as attack actions?

Arcane Inferno: This is pretty much Arcane Archer's Hail of Arrows, isn't it? Nice, though I feel that the Gun Mage should take a shot at something unique to it first. I just wish I had any ideas right now.

Nerdynick
2014-10-31, 01:25 AM
Inferno: This is pretty much Arcane Archer's Hail of Arrows, isn't it? Nice, though I feel that the Gun Mage should take a shot at something unique to it first. I just wish I had any ideas right now.

Its directly copied from Arcane Archer with the ammo caveat to make it usable. As for something unique:

Spellbreach (Su): At 16th level, the gun mage learns that, with the proper application of force, his spells can pierce the magical resistances of his enemies like his firearms can. Whenever he uses the spellshot ability to attack a target within the first range increment of his firearm, he may ignore that target’s Spell Resistance.

In regards to the Gun Sorcery ability, I worry that the bonus to concentration checks is kind of worthless since gun mages will want to be at range anyways. What if Gun Sorcery instead allowed them to apply the penalty on attacks to overcoming SR or reducing DR (chosen at time of attack)? (Were this the case, Spellbreach would probably replace Supreme Gun Sorcery instead)

edit: Hope to address the balance issues with Spellshot, Gun Sorcery, and Cast Rune Bullets this weekend.

Nerdynick
2014-11-02, 04:08 PM
Okay, typing up some revisions to some class features. Changes will be italicized. Tell me if they seem more balanced.

Gun Sorcery (Ex): At 1st level, a gun mage learns to cast spells and wield his firearms at the same time. This functions much like two-weapon fighting, but the off-hand weapon is a spell that is being cast. To use this ability the gun mage must have one hand free (even if the spell being cast does not have somatic components), while wielding a light or one-handed firearm in the other hand. As a full-round action, he can make all of his attacks with his firearm(s) at a -2 penalty and can also cast any spell from the magus spell list with a casting time of 1 standard action (any attack roll made as part of this spell also takes this penalty). A gun mage may take an additional penalty on his attack rolls, up to his Charisma bonus, and add the bonus as a circumstance bonus to any caster level checks to overcome spell resistance. A gun mage can choose to cast the spell first or make the weapon attacks first, but if he has more than one attack, he cannot cast the spell between weapon attacks. The gun sorcery ability can only be used to cast spells from the magus spell list.

Improved Gun Sorcery (Ex): At 8th level, the gun mage’s ability to cast spells and make ranged attacks improves. When using the Gun Sorcery ability, the gun mage receives a +2 circumstance bonus on caster level checks to overcome spell resistance, in addition to any bonus granted by taking an additional penalty on the attack roll.

Greater Gun Sorcery (Ex): At 14th level, the gun mage gains the ability to seamlessly merge his spellcasting and shooting. Whenever he uses the gun sorcery ability, his circumstance bonus on caster level checks to overcome spell resistance equals double the amount of the attack penalty taken.

Spellbreach (Ex): At 20th level the gun mage learns that, with the proper application of force, his spells can pierce the magical resistances of his enemies like his firearms can. Whenever he uses the Gun Sorcery ability to attack a target within the first range increment of his firearm, he may ignore that target’s Spell Resistance. Additionally, as the gun mage's ensorcelled bullet rips through his target's defenses, the gun mage may attempt to dispel any spells the target is affected by. This functions as Dispel Magic's Targeted Dispel function, except that the gun mage need only make one caster level check (to which he adds the circumstance bonus he receives from Gun Sorcery). Any spells whose DC his caster level check and relevant bonuses exceed is dispelled if the gun mage expends a number of spell levels equal to the number he is attempting to dispel. These spells are dispelled before the damage from the shot is resolved. This ability replaces Supreme Gun Sorcery.

Cast Rune Bullets (Su):At 7th level, a gun mage learns how to imbue bullets he casts with arcane energy. By including shavings of gold and other magically conductive metals in the molten lead as he casts his bullets, and then inscribing upon them arcane sigils, he can infuse the bullet with magical power. This functions similarly to the Scribe Scroll feat, and costs the same as creating a scroll of that spell, except the spell inscribed upon the rune bullet must be a touch, ranged touch, cone, line, or spread. Furthermore, the spell is activated by shooting the bullet. This is a casting action and works much like activating a scroll, including all the limitations thereof. Any non-material components must be provided when the spell is cast from the rune bullet, and at the conclusion of the casting, a ranged attack is made, with any modifiers that would normally affect the ranged attack applying. The misfire value of any firearm from which a rune bullet is fired is increased by 2. If the spell required an attack roll to take effect, the ranged attack roll of the firearm delivering the bullet is substituted (if the bullet hits, then the spell takes effect). The spell effect is centered on the target of the ranged attack. The attacker may instead choose to target a specific grid intersection, much like attacking with a splash weapon, and must succeed on a ranged attack against AC 5. If the rune bullet misses the intended target, center the effect on a grid square 1d3 squares away in a random direction. On a misfire, the spell contained within the rune bullet takes effect in the attacker’s square. If the spell is a touch attack or ranged touch attack, it resolves against the attacker. If it is a spread, it is centered on the attacker. If the spell is a cone or line, it extends in a random direction from the attacker and affects him too. If the attacker takes damage from the spell effect, resolve the same damage against the firearm itself. This ability may only be used to enhance bullets, not pellets.

Arcane Inferno (Su): At 16th level the gun mage may, once per day as a full attack action, fire at each and every target within 30 ft, to a maximum of one target for every level of gun mage he has earned. Each attack uses the gun mage’s full base attack bonus, and each enemy may only be target by a single shot. This ability may not be used with weapons with the Scatter quality. The gun mage does not need to reload his weapon between these shots, the ammunition simply teleports into the weapon so long as the gun mage has ammunition available on his person. If the gun mage is wielding multiple firearms, he may choose which to attack with, but he is still limited in how many attacks he may make. This ability replaces Dimensional Shunt

Sorry guys, I just can't think of any way to rework Spellshot except maybe to increase the damage it deals to the weapon. :/

Kamai
2014-11-03, 09:19 AM
Starting with Spellshot, right now, it's more powerful than Spell Channeling, because of all of the range, the ability to borrow the critical multiplier, and the ability to hit touch AC at the first range increment (unless you're using IK's model of guns). I know classes are meant to be taken as a whole, and not as individual features, but there's not enough drawbacks here yet.

Gun Sorcery, while more fitting than a concentration check, is also a lot more powerful. I have to admit that I still don't like the poor man's rapid shot on this ranged variant, so maybe making the Spell Penetration the only function of Gun Sorcery? Something like:

Gun Sorcery: At first level, the Gun Mage can change his spells to better bypass defenses, just as a gun is capable of. Whenever a Gun Mage casts a spell with an attack roll, he can take a -2 penalty on it's attack roll to either increase the save DC by 1, or to give a +2 circumstance bonus on its caster level check to overcome spell resistance. When this spell is fired through a gun, and the weapon attack hits as a touch attack, or when the spell is cast on a creature within 30ft of you, you can double this bonus. You can also take a penalty up to your Charisma modifier to add a further circumstance bonus to caster level checks to overcome spell resistance equal to the penalty taken.

Improved Gun Sorcery: At 8th level, increase the save DC bonus to +2 and the circumstance bonus on its caster level check to overcome spell resistance to +4. This bonus is still doubled when appropriate.

Rune Bullets: I don't think you need the additional misfire here anymore, at least if it's a spell that is already valid for Spellshot, because at this point, it's essentially casting a scroll instead of a spell slot into Spellshot, and the misfire was supposed to compensate for the silly action economy. On top of this, I'm not sure if it really needs a misfire penalty greater than 1 for sending out otherwise invalid spells.

Ethereal Gears
2014-11-04, 01:07 PM
I like the revised version of this rather a lot. I'd echo Kamai regarding getting the critical multiplier from your gun on your spellshots. Don't really have much else to add except I am rather taken with the rune bullets class feature. Very nicely done, and I agree on the additional misfire stuff no longer being necessary. As for spellcasting, I definitely think bards' number of spells known is fine. Can't think of any way of balancing spellshot off the top of my head, sadly. I agree it seems too drawback-free though.

Nerdynick
2014-11-04, 02:53 PM
Okay, so I'm just kind of going to brain dump here...

Cast Rune Bullets: Omit misfire value modifier.

Gun Sorcery: So what if we changed it to only allow spells that targeted the Gun Mage himself to address the greater offensive capabilities (this would actually render rune bullets as the primary damage output of the class), as I believe somebody suggested above. Since this is an alternate class, and this ability is based off the core feature of the original, I'm not sure how far away we can get from the source material. Call me a traditionalist or something. :P The problem with this is that it kind of renders the SR reduction useless, so we're back to the drawing board there if we go with that. I guess I'm not seeing how being the "poor man's rapid shot" is a problem, really. Spell + Attack action doesn't seem abusable beyond anything allowed by Magus, even if it is at range.

As for Spellshot, well, it seems obvious now to do away with the critical multiplier and threat range. The whole concept of the ability is the merging of an attack and an offensive spell (as established by the Magus' Spellstrike), so I don't know how much we can mess with that. I get that its more powerful because its at range (which also means it won't provoke AoO), but the only drawback I can think of beyond the damage to the weapon (which is mitigated by reinforcing runes and intended to be removed by magelock weapons) is making it cost Arcane Pool points (either one per use or equal to spell level), but at that point gun mages will just stock up on Extra Arcane Pool. Additionally, if we made Gun Sorcery only allow spells that target the caster, than this throws a wrench in the works.

I suppose that we could remove the whole mechanic of Spellshot and replace it with something functioning identically to the Spellwarp Sniper's Spellwarp ability, but allowing it be cast through firearms and applying things like weapon focus/specialization and gun training to the spell.

Edit: Also, thoughts on Spellbreach and Arcane Inferno? Arcane Inferno was inspired by the tabletop wargame's iconic gun mage and adapted from Arcane Archer. Thus far it seems like the best fit for the 16th level slot. As I was looking through Magus Arcana, Spellbreach looked a little too much like Dispelling Strike. Any ideas for a capstone ability?

Kamai
2014-11-04, 06:40 PM
Doing some braindump myself:

Gun Sorcery: In the base Magus, you get the ability to cast offensively and fight at the same time, however, you can't make use of this function at all unless you are within move range of a melee attack. On top of this, unless you can get your hands on Aberrant Sorcerer or a one-handed reach weapon, your touch spells don't extend beyond your natural reach in this. The fact that you can send a touch spell 300ft (if not more) sounds to me like good compensation for not being able to offensively cast and attack at the same time. Limiting it to self-buff spells, while being able to cast and fight would not being going so far from the original source material to render it invalid, since you are just limiting it to a specific option that the melee magus already has. At least it doesn't go further than the Gunslinger trading Weapon Training for Grit.

Spellshot without the extra multiplier would be just fine. It has to exist, or it's either not a Magus class or an IK Gun Mage. I don't think it needs to be nerfed further than keeping the spell at 20/x2. I could accept keeping the full critical stats within the first range increment, modeling the effective range of a standard action cast + melee attack, and as a compensation for not being able to hold the charge on a miss.

Spellbreach vs Inferno: Yeah, I'll admit that trying to be unique for uniqueness sake was probably a bit overkill, and should just go back to the inferno, especially if Spellbreach is an arcana already.

I honestly don't have any thoughts on the capstone yet. I'll see what I can dream up.

Nerdynick
2014-11-04, 07:27 PM
...not being able to offensively cast and attack at the same time.

Spellshot without the extra multiplier would be just fine. It has to exist, or it's either not a Magus class or an IK Gun Mage.

It seems to me that these are kind of contradictory. If Gun Sorcery only allows self-buffs, then Spellshot would seem to be limited to the same. Or are you suggesting that Spellshot take a full round/full attack action to both cast the spell and fire the weapon?

Edit: A thought occurred to me: if the class still needed to be toned down in terms of power, what if arcana were replaced by something more akin to the deeds of Gunslingers?

Nerdynick
2014-11-04, 11:29 PM
Here's my work thus far on Gun Mage Arcana:

Arcana: The following Magus Arcana can be taken by Gun Mages as a Gun Mage Arcana so long as they meet the prerequisites for them and could be taken by a Magus of their Gun Mage level. Any Magus Arcana that uses Intelligence uses Charisma when taken as a Gun Mage Arcana. Any Arcana that requires the weapon to strike a creature is wasted if the attack misses with a firearm. Any references to the Spellstrike ability of the Magus are replaced with references to the Spellshot ability of the Gun Mage. Despite names that reference melee weapons, any of the following Arcana will function with firearms: Arcane Accuracy, Arcane Cloak, Arcane Edge, Arcane Scent, Concentrate, Bane Blade, Devoted Blade, Dispelling Strike, Enduring Blade, Empowered Magic, Familiar, Hasted Assault, Lingering Pain, Maximized Magic, Prescient Attack, Prescient Defense, Quickened Magic, Reflection, Rod Mastery, Rod Wielder, Scroll Mastery, Silent Magic, Spell Shield, Spell Trickery, Still Magic, Wand Mastery, Wand Wielder.

Gunfighter (Ex): By expending 1 arcane pool point, the gun mage will not provoke attacks of opportunity for attacking with a ranged weapon in melee combat for a number of rounds equal to his Charisma modifier. While in effect, a gun mage can make attacks of opportunity with ranged weapons as if they had a reach of 5 feet. A gun mage must be 8th level before selecting this arcana.

Ricochet (Su): The gun mage can fire a shot at an object with a hardness of 8 or greater and have it ricochet off with arcane accuracy. When he does so, use the position of the object to determine line of sight to a target, and this square is considered the new origin square of the attack, using it to determine the effects of cover, but the gun mage’s own to determine the effects of concealment. The total distance between the gun mage, the object, and the target is used to determine penalties for long range and armor penetration of the shot. The use of this ability costs one arcane pool point and takes a standard action. A gun mage must be 6th level before selecting this arcana.

Arcane Draw (Su): The gun mage may spend one point from his arcane pool to call his firearm(s) to his hands from a distance. He may cause any unattended firearm he has line of sight to into his open hand as a standard action. The firearm moves at a speed of 30 ft per round, so if it further than 30 ft from the gun mage, it will continue to move towards the gun mage so long as it is not intercepted and the gun mage continues to concentrate on it (determine the difficulty of any concentration checks as if it were a 1st level spell). If the firearm is within 30 ft of the gun mage when arcane draw is used, then it is only a move action, and if the firearm is on the gun mage’s person it can be summoned to his hands as a free action. If the gun mage has the Quick Draw feat and the firearm is on his person, he may use arcane draw as an immediate action.

Grapeshot (Su): A gun mage spend one arcane pool point to shatter a bullet exiting the barrel of his firearm, granting it the scatter quality for that shot. This ability may not be used in conjunction with weapons that already have the scatter quality or with rune bullets. Using this ability is a standard action.

Split Shot (Su): A gun mage may use his arcane power to split a bullet into two as it exits the barrel of his firearm. Each fragment of the bullet use the same attack roll to determine success (with a -4 penalty on the attack roll) and deal normal damage for the firearm. For every 5 points of base attack bonus above +6, the gun mage may fragment the bullet again to a maximum of four fragments at base attack bonus +16 or higher. However, each fragment after the second adds a cumulative -2 penalty to the attack roll (-6 for three fragments, -8 for four fragments). Regardless of the number of fragments, precision based damage is only applied once and on a critical hit, only one fragment deals critical damage. Split shot consumes one point from a gun mage’s arcane pool. This ability may not be used with weapons that have the scatter quality or with rune bullets. A gun mage must know the Grapeshot arcana and be at least 9th level before he learns this one. Using this ability is a standard action.

Firestorm (Su): A gun mage may send fragments of his bullets on impossible trajectories towards different enemies. When the gun mage uses the Split Shot arcana, he may designate a different target for each fragment instead of firing them all at the same unlucky sod. The gun mage makes a separate attack roll for each fragment, even if fired at the same target. Each fragment is eligible for precision based and critical damage. This ability may not be used with weapons that have the scatter quality or with rune bullets. A gun mage must know the Split Shot arcana and be 12th level before he learns this one. Using this ability is a full-attack action.

Arcane Loading (Su): A gun mage with this arcana may load his firearms without use of his hands. This arcana does not reduce loading times, but it does not cost an action to reload. Consequently, a gun mage wielding two pistols could fire them alternately every turn. This arcana costs one point from the gun mage’s arcane pool and lasts for a number of rounds equal to his Charisma bonus plus his gun mage level.

Penetrating Shot (Su): A gun mage who knows this arcana may spend one arcane pool point to change the range of his weapon into a line with a range equal to the firearm. The gun mage makes one attack roll and everyone in the line may make a reflex save with a DC equal to the gun mage’s attack roll to avoid damage. Those who do not make their reflex save take full damage as if they had been shot by the firearm, although precision based damage does not apply to this damage roll. Using this ability is a standard action.

Shrapnel (Su): A gun mage using this arcana may expend one point from his arcane pool, discharge his weapon, and designate one point within range of his firearm. The gun mage makes an attack roll and every creature within 10 ft of the designated point takes full damage as if they had been shot by the firearm (precision based damage does not apply). Creatures may make a reflex save with a DC equal to the gun mage’s attack roll for half damage. Using this ability is a standard action. A gun mage must be at least 6th level before selecting this Arcana.

Phase Shot (Su): A gun mage may expend two arcane pool points to make an attack roll against a target known to him and within range of his firearm. The bullet travels in a straight path, passing through any nonmagical barriers in its way (magical barriers stop the bullet). This ability negates cover, concealment, armor, and shield modifiers, resolving against the target’s touch AC even if it is further than one range increment away. Using this ability is a standard action. A gun mage must be 12th level before selecting this Arcana.

Guided Shot (Su): A gun mage may cause his bullets to track a target with the expenditure of one arcane pool point. The target of a guided shot is denied their dexterity bonus to armor class, but the use of this ability requires great concentration on the gun mage’s part and slows the projectile as it weaves towards the target, so this shot is never resolved against the target’s touch AC and requires a full-round action. A gun mage must be 12th level before selecting this arcana.

Mark Target (Su): A gun mage may use one point from his arcane pool as a swift action to cause a target he just struck with a firearm to be outlined in faerie fire (as per the spell) for a number of rounds equal to his gun mage level plus his Charisma modifier.

Thunderstruck (Su): A gun mage who knows this arcana may redistribute the force of their shot in order to push an opponent away by expending one arcane pool point. This may substitute any ranged attack with a firearm that the gun mage makes, including one made as part of a full attack, and the attack roll is substituted for the result of a combat maneuver roll. If successful, the target is pushed back as if by a successful bull rush attempt.

Disarm(Su): A gun mage who knows this arcana may shoot something out of an enemy’s hand by expending one arcane pool point. This may substitute any ranged attack with a firearm that the gun mage makes, including one made as part of a full attack, and the attack roll is substituted for the result of a combat maneuver roll. If successful, the target drops an item as if by a successful disarm attempt.

Sunder (Su): A gun mage who knows this arcana may target their enemy’s equipment by expending one arcane pool point. This may substitute any ranged attack with a firearm that the gun mage makes, including one made as part of a full attack, and the attack roll is substituted for the result of a combat maneuver roll. If successful, the target’s item is damaged as if by a successful sunder attempt. Within the weapon’s first range increment, the object’s hardness is ignored.

Trip (Su): A gun mage who knows this arcana may, by expending one arcane pool point, knock an opponent down. This may substitute any ranged attack with a firearm that the gun mage makes, including one made as part of a full attack, and the attack roll is substituted for the result of a combat maneuver roll. If successful, the target is knocked down, as if by a successful trip attempt.

“Knock” (Ex): The gun mage makes an attack roll against a lock within the first range increment of his firearm. A Diminutive lock usually has AC 7, and larger locks have a lower AC. The lock gains a bonus to its AC against this attack based on its quality. A simple lock has a +10 bonus to AC, an average lock has a +15 bonus to AC, a good lock has a +20 bonus to AC, and a superior lock has a +30 bonus to AC. Arcane lock grants a +10 bonus to the AC of a lock against this attack. On a hit, the lock is destroyed, and the object can be opened as if it were unlocked. On a miss, the lock is destoryed, but the object is jammed and still considered locked. It can still be unlocked by successfully performing this arcana, by using the Disable Device skill, or with the break DC, the the DC for either break or Disable Device or the AC increased by 10. A key, combination, or similar mechanical method of unlocking the lock no longer works, though knock can still be employed to bypass the lock, and the creator of an arcane lock can still bypass the wards of that spell.

Now accepting creative names for Disarm, Sunder, and Trip.

Edit: Need to change Broad Study and Spell Blending into a wording that's gun mage friendly. Also need to convert Flamboyant Arcana into gunslinger deeds. Accepting all witty names.

Kamai
2014-11-05, 04:49 AM
It seems to me that these are kind of contradictory. If Gun Sorcery only allows self-buffs, then Spellshot would seem to be limited to the same. Or are you suggesting that Spellshot take a full round/full attack action to both cast the spell and fire the weapon?

Edit: A thought occurred to me: if the class still needed to be toned down in terms of power, what if arcana were replaced by something more akin to the deeds of Gunslingers?

Spellshot would not be limited to the same. It's not Spell Combat that lets them attack with a touch spell, a standard magus can just do it with Spell Channeling, because they get to make the "free" attack granted by a touch spell with their weapon. A Gun Mage using Spellshot would also get to do exactly that.

Nerdynick
2014-11-05, 10:38 AM
Ah! I see now. Apologies, as I've never actually played the magus before, so I guess I just let my assumptions do my reasoning for me. Very well, Spellshot is fine so long as criticals are addressed, rune bullets will be made a casting action, and arcane inferno will replace dimensional shunt.

So issues that remain outstanding (please add to):

Gun sorcery. If it doesn't allow offensive spells, a buff to SR penetration won't help much. If it does allow offensive spells, its probably a bit too powerful at range, and SR pen is too powerful.

review of Arcana

Capstone ability

Magelock Bond

Edit: Changes are made in the first post, by the way. Original text preserved in the changelog.

Nerdynick
2014-11-05, 11:59 AM
Another arcana to allow for gun mages who want to dual wield or use rifles:

Akimbo (Ex): A gun mage who knows this arcana may ignore the somatic components for any spells he casts through the spellshot or gun sorcery class feature so long as he is wielding a firearm in each hand or wielding a two-handed firearm. This arcana does not allow him to cast spells from any other class without somatic components and does not permit him to cast spells without somatic components so long as he has at least one free hand. He is still subject to arcane spell failure if he is wearing medium or heavy armor.

And two more, adapted straight from magus, with wording changed where necessary.

Broad Study (Ex): A gun mage selects another one of his spellcasting classes. The gun mage can use his spellshot and gun sorcery abilities while casting or using spells from the spell list of that class. This does not allow him to cast arcane spells from that class’s spell list without suffering the normal chances of arcane spell failure, unless the spell lacks somatic components. A gun mage must have at least 6 levels of gun mage before choosing this arcana.

Expanded Knowledge (Ex): When a gun mage selects this arcana, he must select one spell from the sorcerer spell list that is of a gun mage spell level he can cast. He adds this spell to his list of spells known as a gun mage spell of its sorcerer spell level. He can select two spells to add in this way, but both must be at least one level lower than the highest-level gun mage spell he can cast. A gun mage can select this arcana more than once.

Kamai
2014-11-05, 03:49 PM
On Gun Sorcery, how would you feel about making the penalty act as a version of Deadly Aim?

When a Gun Mage uses Gun Sorcery, he can take a penalty up to his Charisma modifier to add 1/2/4 times that penalty as extra force damage. To do this, he must cast at least a 1st level spell, and the damage fades if he does not make an attack by the end of this turn. This extra damage is multiplied on a critical hit.

Nerdynick
2014-11-05, 04:38 PM
I really like the concept, and it keeps Charisma important, I just have a few questions. Would the damage bonus apply to multiple attacks made that round, or just the first? Also, does it consume the 1st level spell slot, or just require you to cast a spell? And the 1/2/4 multiplier, is that for GS/Improved GS/ Greater GS? Is the restriction on self-only spells still effective?

Nerdynick
2014-11-05, 07:13 PM
This should be the last of the arcana for a while. I've listed everything that seemed appropriate for gun mages, converted everything that needed to be, and created a fair amount of my own.

Daring Arcana (Ex): A gun mage gains the Deadeye and Quick Clear deeds from the gunslinger’s list of deeds. The gun mage can spend points from his arcane pool as grit points to use these deeds and any other deeds he gains from the deed arcana, but he cannot use points from his arcane pool to use deeds from other classes or those gained by feats, nor can he regain points to his arcane pool as a gunslinger would regain grit points. Effects that add to, reduce the cost of, or otherwise affect grit or panache don’t affect the arcane pool of a gun mage with this arcana.

Arcane Deed (Ex): When a gun mage takes this arcana, he can pick any one deed from the gunslinger class feature as long as that deed can be used by a gunslinger of his gun mage level. The gun mage can use that deed by using points from his arcane pool as the grit points required for that deed. A gun mage can take this arcana multiple times, each time gaining a new deed. The gun mage must have the daring arcana to select this arcana.

Arcane Piercing (Su): A gun mage with this arcana can spend one point from his arcane pool to reduce the damage reduction of an enemy he can see within 30 ft by a number of points equal to his Charisma modifier for a number of rounds equal to the gun mage’s level + Charisma modifier. This ability only affects the gun mage’s ranged attacks, not his melee attacks or any of his allies’ attacks. The target of this ability may make a Fortitude save with a DC equal to that of a 2nd level spell cast by the gun mage to negate this ability. A gun mage must be 6th level before he can select this arcana.

Defensive Shooting (Ex): A gun mage with this arcana can spend one point from his arcane pool to shoot an incoming projectile out of the air as an immediate action. When the gun mage or someone within 30 ft of him would normally be hit by a ranged attack, he may deflect it so that the target takes no damage. The gun mage must be wielding a loaded firearm, have line of effect, and be aware of the attack and may not be flat footed. Massive ranged weapons such as boulders, ballista bolts, and cannon balls, as well as ranged attacks generated by natural attacks or spell effects, cannot be deflected.

Edit: Arcane Deed for Utility Shot kind of invalidates "Knock", so just forget about that one.

Kamai
2014-11-05, 08:00 PM
I really like the concept, and it keeps Charisma important, I just have a few questions. Would the damage bonus apply to multiple attacks made that round, or just the first? Also, does it consume the 1st level spell slot, or just require you to cast a spell? And the 1/2/4 multiplier, is that for GS/Improved GS/ Greater GS? Is the restriction on self-only spells still effective?

Damage bonus would apply to the first shot (even if you have a way of getting multiple attacks as part of Spell Combat/Gun Sorcery. The damage would not consume the 1st level slot, it just requires you to cast at least a 1st level spell. In a sense of fluff, you're siphoning a small bit of the self-cast spell to add the damage.

The 1/2/4 multiplier is for GS/Improved GS/Greater GS, and yes, this is keeping in mind the restriction on self-only spells.

Nerdynick
2014-11-05, 08:43 PM
Formalized rough drafts below. Still seeking a better/more thematic capstone ability.

Gun Sorcery (Ex): At 1st level, a gun mage learns to cast spells and wield his firearms at the same time. This functions much like two-weapon fighting, but the off-hand weapon is a spell that is being cast. To use this ability the gun mage must have one hand free (even if the spell being cast does not have somatic components), while wielding a light or one-handed firearm in the other hand. As a full-round action, he can make all of his attacks with his firearm(s) at a -2 penalty and can also cast any spell from the magus spell list with a casting time of 1 standard action that has a range of Personal or Touch, but in the latter case the spell must target the gun mage himself. A gun mage may choose to siphon some of the energy from the spell into his first shot made that round, taking a further penalty on all of his attack rolls that round, up to his Charisma modifier, but adding his Charisma modifier to the first damage roll he makes with his firearm. This bonus damage is force damage and is multiplied on a critical hit. The gun mage must cast at least a 1st level spell to gain this bonus damage. If the attack misses, the extra damage is forfeit, but further attacks still take the penalty. A gun mage can choose to cast the spell first or make the weapon attacks first, but if he has more than one attack, he cannot cast the spell between weapon attacks. He may still increase the damage of his first shot even if he makes all of his attacks before casting his spell. The gun sorcery ability can only be used to cast spells from the magus spell list.

Improved Gun Sorcery (Ex): At 8th level, the gun mage’s ability to cast spells and make ranged attacks improves. When using the gun sorcery ability to add extra force damage to his attacks, the extra damage applies to all ranged attacks with firearms, not just the first one he makes.

Greater Gun Sorcery (Ex): At 14th level, the gun mage gains the ability to seamlessly merge his spellcasting and shooting. Whenever he uses the gun sorcery ability to add extra force damage to his attacks, the damage is equal to twice the penalty he takes on his attack rolls.

Supreme Gun Sorcery (Ex): At 20th level, the gun mage becomes a master of spells and combat. Whenever he uses his gun sorcery ability to add extra force damage to his attacks, the damage is equal to four times the penalty he takes on his attack rolls.

Nerdynick
2014-11-05, 11:57 PM
Writeup of the Magelock Bond:

Magelock Bond (Su): At 1st level, a gun mage may forge a magical bond with firearms made out of a special alloy and known as magelock firearms. These firearms are especially attuned to the sorcerous powers of gun mages and once a gun mage bonds with one, requiring a ritual that takes 8 hours and materials worth 200 gp per gun mage level, a gun mage unlocks the true potential of their power. A bonded magelock weapon bestows all the benefits described below. A gun mage may bond with a number of magelock weapons equal to his Charisma modifier. Magelock weapons never take damage from a gun mage’s spellshot class feature, whether or not they are bonded to the gun mage using them.

Gun Mage Class Level
Special

1st-2nd
Alertness, Arcane Conductor, Share Spells

3rd-4th
Arcane Capacitor

5th-6th
Arcane Trigger

7th-8th
-

9th-10th
Gunsight

11th-12th
-

13th-14th
Gun Scry

15th-16th
-

17th-18th
Dauntless

19th-20th
-

Alertness: While a gun mage is holding his bonded magelock, he gains the Alertness feat.

Share Spells: Any spell that takes effect on the gun mage may, at the gun mage’s discretion, affect his bonded magelock(s) as well, if they are a valid target for that spell.

Arcane Conductor: Whenever a gun mage uses his arcane pool ability to enhance his bonded magelock, one expenditure of arcane pool points will enhance all of his bonded magelocks. Additionally, the duration of these enhancements is doubled.

Arcane Capacitor: At 3rd level, a bonded magelock firearm can store a small amount of sorcerous energy within itself. A gun mage may store a number of arcane pool points within a light or one handed bonded magelock firearm equal to 1 + his Charisma modifier, or 3 + his Charisma modifier within a two-handed magelock firearm. Storing these points within the bonded magelock is exactly as if the gun mage had expended that many points from his arcane pool for that day, however these points persist within the bonded magelock indefinitely and can be drawn upon by their master as long as the weapon is on his person (he need not be wielding it). Only the gun mage with whom the magelock firearm is bonded may access these points. If another gun mage forges a bond with a firearm that already has points stored within it, those points are lost.

Arcane Trigger: At 5th level a gun mage may cause his bonded firearm to discharge so long as it is within 30 feet of him and loaded. The gun mage has no control over the gun’s aim, but this could have numerous consequences if it is loaded with a rune bullet, or even just to serve as a good distraction.

Gunsight: At 9th level gun mage may concentrate on one of his bonded magelocks and magically see out of the sights or barrel of that firearm instead of using his own eyes, allowing him to make spectacular trick shots and aim the weapon without looking. By spending a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity concentrating, he may make a single attack with his bonded magelock while maintaining total cover.

Gun Scry: A gun mage of 13th level or higher may scry on one of his bonded magelocks (as if casting the scrying spell) once per day.

Dauntless: At 17th level, a gun mage’s bonded magelock never misfires. Even on a roll of natural 1, the attack misses as normal with no adverse effect for the firearm.

Also, the original gun mage class (http://files.meetup.com/47309/IK%20Gun%20Mage%20(as%20per%20character%20book).pd f) for IK. Proof that we're doing good work here. :P

Kamai
2014-11-06, 12:45 AM
I haven't really looked over the Arcana yet, but I really like the look of the Magelock Pistol, and it does make me happy that we're making something awesome beside the original Gun Mage.

As a 20th level feature, how might this sound:

Ethereal Shot: At 20th level, when you use Gun Sorcery, the magic you divert to your bullet puts it at the edge of existence. When you use Gun Sorcery, your gun is always Ghost Touch, even if this would bring your weapon's overall enchantment beyond +10. Also, while using Gun Sorcery, any gun that you use affects touch AC for 4 range increments further than normal (typically 5 range increments).

Edit: This is supposed to mimic the Gun Mage getting an advanced tech weapon, while scaling with other features that increase the touch range. If you're afraid of the Gun Mage getting an advanced tech gun, then maybe it should just set it to 5 range increments.

Nerdynick
2014-11-06, 02:29 PM
I like the idea, but I have to ask, what about a gun mage who is wielding an advanced firearm (because some GMs are into that sort of thing).

If you're afraid of the Gun Mage getting an advanced tech gun, then maybe it should just set it to 5 range increments.

Early firearms have a max range of 5 increments anyways.

Kamai
2014-11-06, 04:37 PM
I like the idea, but I have to ask, what about a gun mage who is wielding an advanced firearm (because some GMs are into that sort of thing).

Early firearms have a max range of 5 increments anyways.

Welp, that's a part of the rules that I missed. Maybe back to the drawing board then, because while I think that being able to hit Touch AC all of the time is not out there for a capstone, it's something that a DM's going to kneejerk react to.

Nerdynick
2014-11-06, 08:57 PM
Here's an idea. What if their capstone ability was something that let them regain arcane pool points as if they were a gunslinger regaining grit?

Kamai
2014-11-07, 01:54 PM
Here's an idea. What if their capstone ability was something that let them regain arcane pool points as if they were a gunslinger regaining grit?

While being flamboyant can fit in the Gun Mage idea, I think level 20 is way too late to try to establish that. Not much else in the class calls for that, and then you have this cool headed killer that is now encouraged to take crazy risks because he hit level 20?

A gun mage deals intuitively with magic, so maybe this?
Eternal Magic (su): At 20th level, the Gun Mage can choose any 1st level spell from any spell list that has a range longer than personal. Anytime he fires a non-rune cast bullet from a Magelock Pistol, the bullet includes this spell, using his Gun Mage caster level for it's caster level. If this bullet is also affected with Spellshot, both spells take effect on the creature that is hit by the bullet. This spell cannot be affected by metamagic, and all effects (including saving throws and spell penetration checks) are as if you cast it from a 1st level slot.

Nerdynick
2014-11-07, 02:44 PM
While I really like the concept, it seems potentially abusable. I'll try to run some math on it later to see how it fares.

Edit: until I get the chance to do said math, an alternative: at 20th level allow their weapons critical range and multiplier apply to spells.

Nerdynick
2014-11-11, 04:16 PM
I'm going to preface everything that's about to happen by saying that 1) I'm not well practiced with probabilities, and so this exercise is possibly a little inaccurate, and 2) I wrote this way too late last night. Like, late enough I forgot to press the submit reply button. Take whatever ramblings occur with a grain of salt.

Eternal Magic (su): At 20th level, the Gun Mage can choose any 1st level spell from any spell list that has a range longer than personal. Anytime he fires a non-rune cast bullet from a Magelock Pistol, the bullet includes this spell, using his Gun Mage caster level for it's caster level. If this bullet is also affected with Spellshot, both spells take effect on the creature that is hit by the bullet. This spell cannot be affected by metamagic, and all effects (including saving throws and spell penetration checks) are as if you cast it from a 1st level slot.

Okay, so obviously, the abusable portion of this in the ability to cast a ton of 1st level spells. At 20th level, this may or may not be a big deal. Let’s take a look at what these spells can do, assuming a Gun Mage with 18 Dexterity, 20 Charisma, +15 BAB, Rapid Shot, Weapon Focus (Pistol), Quick Draw, and Point Blank Shot (there’s probably a lot more, but this seems like a reasonable, non-optimized build). Lets assume he uses an arcane pool point to give his pistol(s) a +2 bonus, shock, flaming, and frost, and they already have +3 bonus. So without spells, he has the following within 30 ft (PBS): +26 to hit (+24 w/ RS) and 1d8 + 4 (from gun training dexterity bonus) + 5 (enhancement bonus) + 1 (PBS) + 3d6 (various elemental enhancements from arcane pool) damage. That averages to 21 damage per shot. At 4 shots per turn (+24/+24/+19/+14), he’ll average 84 points of damage if every shot hits. If he uses Greater Gun Sorcery, thats 4 shots (+17/+17/+12/+7) that deal 31 damage per shot, producing 124 damage for a full round (again, assuming all hits).

Chill Touch: This deals 1d6 damage and 1 Strength damage on a failed fort save, adding an average of 4 damage, and offering a poor compromise between damage and debuff since it doesn’t scale and nothings going to be failing that DC 16 save at this level.

Corrosive Touch: Deals 5d4 damage for an average of +15 damage

Frostbite: 1d6+20 nonlethal damage and fatigue with no saving throw. That averages to 24 nonlethal damage and -2 Str/Dex. The best part about this one, is that there is no save, so the -2 Str/Dex for fatigue is an instant debuff (even if it is small). Fatigue won’t stack, but the 24 nonlethal damage could add up over the course of a battle and knock your opponent out.

Mudball: This spell blinds the target if they fail a DC 16 reflex save. At 20th level, most things will automatically make that save.

Ray of Enfeeblement: This spell deals 1d6+5 Strength damage (averaging 9) per shot. DC 16 fortitude save reduces this to 7 damage average. Again, most creatures will make their save at this level, but this one is nice because it doesn’t negate. Sadly, it doesn’t stack with itself. A nice debuff though, ranging between 6 and 11 Strength damage, thats a -3 on melee attack and damage for most creatures.

Snowball: 5d6 damage and Staggered on a failed Fort. save. Well, nothings going to get staggered at this level, so just +20 average damage I guess.

Shocking Grasp: Another 5d6 damage, but with no save attached. +20 average damage.

So the spells pretty much fall into 2 broad categories: Damage dealing and debuffing. The debuff spells will have little impact since all the enemies that matter at this level are going to make their saves versus 1st level spells. The ability to drop -6 strength on something one-time-only from Ray of Enfeeblement and the ability to fatigue with Frostbite are the only consistent debuffs the Eternal Magic ability could provide. As for damage dealers, +20 average damage per shot increases their total damage output for a round of successful shooting with gun sorcery to 204 on average.

If we take a look at some iconic enemies of the level, we might find the Pit Fiend (350 hp, 18 tAC), the Balor (370 hp, 20 tAC), Great Wyrm White Dragon (362 hp, 5 tAC), Nightwave (391 hp, 5 tAC), Maharaja Rakshasa (310 hp, 24 tAC), Great Wyrm Copper Dragon (391 hp, 5 tAC), and the Wyrm Red Dragon (391 hp, 4 tAC). So against the big brute enemies with low touch AC (tAC), the gun mage will be hitting almost all the time and with average rolls will kill all the dragons and undead in the list in 3 rounds of shooting. Here, the extra damage will reduce that to 2 rounds on average, which could be a life saver. The debuffs won’t stick around long enough to matter. Against the more agile/magically protected enemies, the gun mage will only hit with his first 2 or 3 shots, so that will lower his average damage significantly, meaning that debuffs can become more impacting.

“But Nerdynick”, you ask, “are these spells broken if you can cast them at will?” Well, my friends, it seems to me that we must look at the average percent of health that is being dealt. The selection of monsters above (chosen completely arbitrarily from the Monsters by CR list) average 366 hp. The average of +20 damage per shot is adding 5% of their total health to the damage dealt.

If you compare this to a rogue, dishing out an average of ~40 damage per strike on sneak attack alone, the gun mage averaging 51 damage per shot with a gun sorcery’d, shocking grasp’d, enhanced pistol shot is barely pulling ahead in terms of damage, and probably lagging behind a fair amount in accuracy.

Taking the word of this thread’s (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=11978.20;wap2) 2nd post, fighters should be dishing out 150-300 damage per round, which is also outstripping the gun mage.

So, I suppose that when compared to other classes, the gun mage isn’t dealing the damage of warriors or strikers. Which I suppose means the class feature is balanced, since it has 6 levels of spellcasting as well.

Edit: It occurs to me that I only examined Magus spells that would be eligible for Spellshot.