PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Cover Your Mouth When You Cough! (Disease Domain for Clerics, PEACH!)

NeoSeraphi
2014-10-29, 05:26 PM
Disease Domain

Deities: Urgathoa

Touch of Illness (Sp): You can instill disease in a creature with just a touch. If you succeed on a melee touch attack, the creature is sickened for 1 round per 2 cleric levels (minimum 1 round). You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3+ your Wisdom modifier. Creatures immune to disease are immune to Touch of Illness.

Aura of Rapid Incubation (Su):
The Goddess of Disease can grant you her true power sparingly. Beginning at 8th level, for a number of rounds per day equal to your cleric level (need not be consecutive) you can project a 30 ft aura of disease as a standard action. Any creatures suffering from disease inside your aura must save against the disease each round instead of 1/day, and each round inside the aura is treated as one day for the purposes of determining when a new disease onsets. You can dismiss this aura as a free action.

Domain Spells
1) Ray of Sickening
2) Fester
3) Contagion
4) Slough (Credit to Diachronos for the suggestion)
5) Greater Contagion
6) Epidemic
7) Plague Storm
8) Greater Nature's Ravages
9) Cursed Earth

NeoSeraphi
2014-10-29, 06:23 PM
Looking to get a DM to actually approve this for a PBP so please if you guys have any comments or suggestions at all for improvement, lay them on me so I can fix it. :smallsmile:

Diachronos
2018-01-30, 10:24 PM
Might I suggest the slough (http://archivesofnethys.com/SpellDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Slough) spell in place of explosion of rot/nature's ravages for the 4th level slot?

NeoSeraphi
2018-01-30, 10:30 PM
That's perfect! Thank you.

ElFi
2018-02-02, 03:14 PM
Some thoughts:

Touch of Illness is pretty strong for a lesser domain power, but not overwhelmingly so. I like it.

Aura of Rapid Incubation is pretty cool! The only thing it's missing is a mention of what action you need to activate/deactivate it, I think. I'd probably say free action to help with the action economy of your spells, but it's your choice.

My only real issue with this domain is the spells. I have no issue with your choices, but... disease and plague spells just aren't that strong. A majority of them use the save DC of their respective diseases instead of spell level, which really doesn't scale well into higher levels even if the disease themselves are dangerous. As cool as the fluff of this domain is, the spells it offers just aren't powerful enough to compete. Maybe add a domain power somewhere that addresses this? I'm not exactly sure what I'd suggest.

SirNMN
2018-02-02, 07:16 PM
not sure about this but I think that it might work better to have your touch run off of turn/rebuke attempts as most cleric thing either run off of them, are a permanent or once perday

ElFi
2018-02-03, 06:05 AM
not sure about this but I think that it might work better to have your touch run off of turn/rebuke attempts as most cleric thing either run off of them, are a permanent or once perday

You might be more used to the 3.5 versions? In Pathfinder, almost all touch powers for the Cleric are 3+Wis times per day, including this one. I don't think I can remember a single one that pulls uses from channel energy or is only once per day.

NeoSeraphi
2018-02-11, 08:22 PM
Some thoughts:

Touch of Illness is pretty strong for a lesser domain power, but not overwhelmingly so. I like it.

Aura of Rapid Incubation is pretty cool! The only thing it's missing is a mention of what action you need to activate/deactivate it, I think. I'd probably say free action to help with the action economy of your spells, but it's your choice.

My only real issue with this domain is the spells. I have no issue with your choices, but... disease and plague spells just aren't that strong. A majority of them use the save DC of their respective diseases instead of spell level, which really doesn't scale well into higher levels even if the disease themselves are dangerous. As cool as the fluff of this domain is, the spells it offers just aren't powerful enough to compete. Maybe add a domain power somewhere that addresses this? I'm not exactly sure what I'd suggest.

Good point on the action stuff. I'll edit Aura of Incubation.

Yes, diseases ultimately have poor DCs and even worse they target a saving throw that is normally the highest for enemies, but I think these are both aspects that you have to risk for the sheer power of all this ability damage. Spells like epidemic do force the target to initially make a save against your spell DC, so Spell Focus (Necromancy) helps there, but I don't know that the build needs any more power than it already has. Aura of Rapid Incubation basically makes it so you can actually use your diseases in combat and have them be relevant, but this would ultimately still probably be a Domain that is mostly focused around killing NPCs/massive death of populations rather than fighting bosses.