PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Player ate an Artifact

demonwalker
2014-10-29, 09:10 PM
Currently gming a game with the focus of destroying some artifacts. One of the PC's recently ate one of them: The Deck. I have absolutely no clue what I should do for this. Up to know, players have been having to make saves when drawing from the deck due to some things that happened. I'm thinking of adding that in to her. Occasionally random draws? I have no clue. Any help is appreciated.

Spriteless
2014-10-29, 09:19 PM
My first thought was, this could be painful on the way out. Then I thought, if she could fit it down her mouth probably not that big. Also, why am I thinking about this realistically?

My second thought was, she has drawn all the cards! But since there are a few game overs in there, that might not be fun.

My third thought is, in stressful situations, like combat, she might have to make saves to avoid becoming nausiated, and then suddenly puke up some cards at the enemies. On a natural 1 she may get rid of the whole deck.

The Glyphstone
2014-10-29, 09:37 PM
Is it even possible to swallow a deck of cards without the sort of special practice/training generally attributed to circus sideshow performers?

demonwalker
2014-10-29, 09:56 PM
Player is large, so it was fairly easy to do.

Forrestfire
2014-10-29, 10:50 PM
My vote: turn them into a living rod of wonder that triggers every time they attack or get attacked.

Make an offensive table and a defensive table, with much stronger results when you near the bounds of each table. Most of the time, have it be incidental bonuses or penalties, but occasionally you can have some randomly awesome (or terrible) magic happen.

Alternatively, rule that the deck got destroyed and imbued them with its power, giving them deck of cards-based superpowers. Start with giving Cards Over Swords (http://www.ravenoaks.org/jim/3da/files/LUCK_OF_THE_DRAW.PDF) as a bonus feat and the ability to summon decks of cards for it, then go from there :smallbiggrin:

demonwalker
2014-10-30, 02:22 AM
Rod of Wonder idea works, but they'd still need to be able to destroy the Deck somehow. Not sure when I'd use the two tables though. Offensively for when she attacks? Or just say "I use offensive mode?" Defensively when taking hits or using on self?

As for giving her powers...She just entered the game last session and is already fairly strong. I feel like giving her more stuff already would be unfair to the rest of the party who've been around longer. It also screws with some of my plans a bit if that is how the artifact is destroyed.

For reference, she is a Merfolk Sorcerer with the Linnorm bloodline.

Milodiah
2014-10-30, 02:25 AM
I'm of the opinion that...erm...passing each card would count as "drawing" it, personally.

icefractal
2014-10-30, 02:26 AM
IIRC, the traditional way to destroy the deck is to lose it in a game with a lawful deity, without said deity knowing what it is. So for a person, the equivalent might be the character swearing service to a lawful deity, and the deity accepting without knowing about the card thing.

Or of course, just kill her. That should either destroy the deck or cause it to return to artifact form. You can always resurrect her afterwards (having said resurrection act like Reincarnate seems like a possible side-effect from the deck's chaos).

demonwalker
2014-10-30, 02:47 AM
This player's character going...let me rephrase. This party going near a Lawful Deity is about as likely (and as smart) as a Paladin forsaking his vows for a cookie. The PC swearing allegiance...I'd rather not think about that.

Her death was considered, but no one in the party knows she ate it, and only one other person knows she has it. Sometimes I feel like I'm GMing for Paranoia instead, with all the secrets the party keeps from each other and the amount of indirectly screwing each other over that happens.

Eldan
2014-10-30, 03:09 AM
What powers do they have? I'd suggest giving them a bit more randomness on everything. Like, if they are normally a caster, do the chaos mage thing where there's random effects on everything and fluctuating caster level. Nothing that makes them more powerful in general, just random.

Apart from that, they just incorporated some of the most powerful magic in the multiverse into their body. That's a perfect excuse to **** with them in any way you please. Mutations? Sure! Curses? You bet! Inevitables or devil collectors coming to find the thing and cut it out of them? Why, yes!

How about giving them a magical transformation. They wake up one day and look at their foot. There's now a tattoo on there, beautifully exact and in all the right colours, of the tower card. From there on, another card every day shows up somewhere on their body. Then their skin turns dry and white and papery and the tattoos begin falling off as cards that form a new deck over time.

Because seriously. This is Divine Magic with a capital DM. Don't go for the boring option.

Erik Vale
2014-10-30, 03:28 AM
Given that that doesn't destroy the deck [it can't], I'd either give the player intestinal troubles as the cards get stuck, or I'd roll luck.
On a good roll, you poop the cards all at once rather painfully.
On a bad roll, you poop cards in several different lots, and are treated as having drawn some cards.

There's some chaos for you, as well as a dopeslap for being a moron.

Yora
2014-10-30, 05:39 AM
Why being a moron? The GM trolled the players by giving them the deck, the player counter-trolled him back. Seems just fair.

Cosmic Traveler
2014-10-30, 06:49 AM
Currently gming a game with the focus of destroying some artifacts. One of the PC's recently ate one of them: The Deck. I have absolutely no clue what I should do for this. Up to know, players have been having to make saves when drawing from the deck due to some things that happened. I'm thinking of adding that in to her. Occasionally random draws? I have no clue. Any help is appreciated.

Alright, my first alarm bell is that you introduced a DECK OF MANY THINGS INTO YOUR GAME. That in itself is a sign you may not care much about the fate of your game's direction or you have no idea how game breaking the thing is and how much of a problem it can be for everyone involved with the deck

Second alarm bell is you LET him devour the deck. You should have stopp him with something in the like of "A strong feeling in your mind is keeping you from eating the deck"

Why would you EVER have a Deck of Many Things in your game?

lytokk
2014-10-30, 07:30 AM
I'd say to pick a trigger. Triggers could be everytime the sorc casts a spell, or every time the sorc is hit, or melee hits someone, something like that. Then, draw a card. Whatever that card is becomes part of whatever happenned. For example, if you chose whenever the sorc is hit, draw a card. It could be the death card, which means a wraith shows up and starts attacking the person who hit the sorc. Or you could have drawn the 3 wishes card, which means whoever hit the sorc now has 3 wishes. Just my thoughts.

demonwalker
2014-10-30, 01:06 PM
When the goal is to destroy artifacts, I'm not going to skip one because it's game breaking. I introduced it knowing how stupid of an idea it was. And so far, the party has been fairly smart on their usage of the deck, bar one player.

As for eating the deck, other than having to figure out the repercussions of such an act, it prevents more abuse of it for a time. I don't have to worry about anyone in the party pulling it out and trying to draw a card.

I did ask the player after game why she did that, and she stated she likes to make GMs think. Which I have no problem with. That was partly the goal was for everyone to think of creative ways to destroy artifacts while destroying them.

I am liking Eldan's ideas. They seem like a fairly good idea for this situation.

BeerMug Paladin
2014-10-30, 01:41 PM
I am liking Eldan's ideas. They seem like a fairly good idea for this situation.
He actually gave me my own idea. Specifically, the curses. Each day the player is subject to a curse based on the effect of a random card. Make a table for this purpose. If they get an effect derived from the wish card, make it clear they have a feeling that on this day, they could choose to end the curse if they want it to end.

If taken, the deck appears in their hands, unharmed and in perfectly normal condition. Also if they die, the deck appears nearby their dead body.

Bulhakov
2014-10-30, 04:34 PM
I'd handle it by having the character experience stomach aches growing in strength until a new random effect manifests. To show the player the deck is actually being digested, have the pains be slightly decreased and extend the times between consecutive effects. E.g. the first day/night the pain is so strong the character can hardly move, then the first effect manifests - a flash of light emanates from the character and a huge undead monster appears in the middle of the camp. The pain is gone, so the character can fight. A few hours later the pain starts growing again...

Depending on your campaign plans have the effect manifest in a predictable pattern, e.g. 1,2,4,8,16... or 1,2,3,5,8,13,21... days apart. Tell the character the pain is much decreased with each cycle, and at one point the pain is completely gone and grows no more.

Icewraith
2014-10-30, 06:25 PM
I'd handle it by having the character experience stomach aches growing in strength until a new random effect manifests. To show the player the deck is actually being digested, have the pains be slightly decreased and extend the times between consecutive effects. E.g. the first day/night the pain is so strong the character can hardly move, then the first effect manifests - a flash of light emanates from the character and a huge undead monster appears in the middle of the camp. The pain is gone, so the character can fight. A few hours later the pain starts growing again...

Depending on your campaign plans have the effect manifest in a predictable pattern, e.g. 1,2,4,8,16... or 1,2,3,5,8,13,21... days apart. Tell the character the pain is much decreased with each cycle, and at one point the pain is completely gone and grows no more.

This shouldn't destroy the deck though. Depending on the game rules, anyone with sufficient divination magic should be able to figure out the location of the deck and unleash a never ending tide of mercenaries seeking to disembowel the character. Also, anything that causes the character to vomit should probably cause the deck to turn up.

Alternatively, the character's butt should become the center of a continuous fascinate effect. Anyone who fails the appropriate defense is mentally encouraged to stick their hand up the character's butt and draw a card (they don't know they're trying to draw a card per se, just the, ahem, physical motions they want to make with their hand up the butt). Once the characters figure out what's up they have to figure out how to get the deck out without just being compelled to draw cards.

Depending on the nature of the player in question, this will either result in a very quick resolution to the problem of the artifact being in the player, or the player will actively fight off attempts to rid them of their "hypno-butt" (assuming they figure out what's going on). This option is definitely not suitable for all groups but should be hilarious if done right. Especially given that a certain percentage of the population regardless of race, gender, or orientation, will likely misconstrue the sudden attraction to the character's butt as some kind of lust.

Having the character just pass the deck in 1d4 days is probably the most boring option.

Depending on the ruleset, the character is now in danger of being permanently destroyed as part of the material component for Apocalypse from the Sky.

Milodiah
2014-10-30, 07:56 PM
I vote for hypnobutt.

Scowling Dragon
2014-10-30, 10:14 PM
I would make the character an NPC and turn them into a mutated aberration.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-10-30, 10:50 PM
Best thread. :smallbiggrin:

demonwalker
2014-10-30, 10:52 PM
Interesting ideas. In the case that the player lives, and decides to continue to eat artifacts, as I'm not going to stop her, what other suggestions do you all have?

Totema
2014-10-30, 10:56 PM
Alternatively, the character's butt should become the center of a continuous fascinate effect. Anyone who fails the appropriate defense is mentally encouraged to stick their hand up the character's butt and draw a card (they don't know they're trying to draw a card per se, just the, ahem, physical motions they want to make with their hand up the butt). Once the characters figure out what's up they have to figure out how to get the deck out without just being compelled to draw cards.

This is like something out of FATAL.

BeerMug Paladin
2014-10-31, 12:55 AM
This is like something out of FATAL.
I thought that too.

Eldan
2014-10-31, 02:31 AM
Interesting ideas. In the case that the player lives, and decides to continue to eat artifacts, as I'm not going to stop her, what other suggestions do you all have?

Critical mass of magic in one spot. Randomly shoots off Disjunction effects.
Inevitables come to take him away and throw him into the deepest layer of Pandemonium, where such things go.
Tiamat comes by to collect his valuable body for dissection.

Bulhakov
2014-10-31, 04:16 AM
I'd say enforce a one-artifact-per-stomach limit :) i.e. as long as she's digesting the deck, any other artifact she tries to swallow is violently vomited back out.

Hint at the fact that in time she will digest the deck, but she has no idea how long that will take. E.g. if you follow the Fibbonaci sequence for digesting cards (assuming a 22 card deck), she'll take about 78 years to digest the whole deck (though the last cards would come at intervals of many years)... of course that is assuming one of the effects doesn't kill her first.

infinitetech
2014-10-31, 04:33 AM
hmm... lose base race, gain great devourer as new race, can "eat" anything, character is a changeling whom once they eat an item it becomes part of them, their physical appearance looks a little more like what they eat each time, they are compelled to eat powerful things, any time the character make a roll the dm rolls a % to see if they trigger an ability, % = inverse health percent, the character can concentrate for (1 turn base item, 2 turns rare item, 3 turns magic item, 4 turns wondrous item, 5 turns artifact) to either stop an effect or cause one, if successfully activate an effect is randomly chosen out of all effects from that item teir, target is always random, though no self destroying effects can take place all effects can hit any target, if purposefully caused the player may choose once per lvl to re-roll the target before effect is chosen, any effect that would harm the caster instead gets rid of a random item of lowest quality, any effect that would kill the player gets rid of the middle quality item round down, any effect that would destroy the player removes a top teir item, for every 5 lvls whenever an effect goes off make another copy, any item consumed gives XP equal to its GP, this character looses all lvls in other classes and must lvl in monster lvls instead(monster lvls are gesalted with base class chosen at each lvl, but take 3x the normal xp, and only gain xp from eating things, while concentrating to control an effect the player may choose once a day, per every 2 lvls, to instead of causing a random ability with multi cast or stopping one that's trying to go off multiplicatively, to choose either the targets or the ability, each choice drops the spell's # of casts by 1, any item can be used for regular mundane use at teir 1 cost, complicated/odd use t2, low magic/highly complex use t3, high magic/future tech t4, unique magic/living lvl complex t5

Anonymouswizard
2014-10-31, 09:16 AM

What other artefacts can she eat?

The character becomes a +1 character, giving a +1 enhancement bonus to any that try to use her as a weapon or shield.

The character's innards begin to absorb the limitless magic of the item. After 2dX days/months/years part of them becomes an exact copy of the item, which manipulates chance so that both will be discovered by any autospy or cavity search.

...I hope she doesn't eat a sphere of annihilation.

Eldan
2014-10-31, 09:21 AM
The character eats several artefacts. Effect? Magical items in general fear her. (Yes, they all act as if they were at least a bit intelligent here. Go with it). They have their caster level reduced when used by her. Items that have some kind of movement effect will try to get away from her. Items that can fail fail more often when used by her.

Artefacts violently fear and hate her and will backfire when touched by her. After she ate a few, they might be repelled, as if by magnetic forces.

Kami2awa
2014-11-07, 03:34 AM
Artefacts in general are hard to destroy; stomach acid and enzymes are not going to do much. I'd say the Deck's staying in there until someone gets it out. However, it's likely many people are going to want it (they can find out where it is through divination) and the PC will die one day anyway. The Deck's not gone in any shape or form.

Sith_Happens
2014-11-07, 04:39 AM
I'm of the opinion that...erm...passing each card would count as "drawing" it, personally.

Alternatively, the next time a party members says "I want to draw a card" the Deck will be triggered as usual and get quite uncomfortable for her as the card finds its way out.

Jay R
2014-11-09, 07:51 PM
I see two ways to resolve it:

1. The effects suddenly take place. Which is to say, four cards are drawn, and then it disappears.

2. Everyone in the area knows that there is a priceless artifact to be found in his stomach.

The first is what the DM intended when the Deck was given in the first place. The second is how to keep it from activating while guaranteeing that actions have consequences.

Kislath
2014-11-10, 06:14 PM
Well, there are several good options.

1-- Every time the character is hit with magic, it activates the deck and causes one card to react as id it had been drawn, up until the time it would have vanished normally from having cards drawn.
2-- Every time the character goes to the bathroom, one card is "drawn."
3-- Getting hit with certain powerful magics might make the magic in the cards react with each other in bizarre unforeseen ways, having bizarre effects.
4-- Drinking potions should now be an exceptionally bad idea. In fact, it might actually cause damage to the cards resulting in catastrophe.

OracleofWuffing
2014-11-10, 09:08 PM
If classic children's television cartoons have taught me anything, the most direct way to resolve this conundrum is to require the rest of the party be shrunk down to near-microscopic size, and have to retrieve the deck from the playing character's digestive system before the blockage causes cataclysmic trouble.

One two three not it.

Yes I know you could just cut him open and resurrect but then it's not as much fun.

Raimun
2014-11-11, 12:51 AM
Uh... what? I mean, I don't even... [Does not compute!]

Okay, better.

Artifacts can usually be destroyed in a certain way. I don't remember/know how Deck of Many Things was supposed to be destroyed but I'm pretty sure gastric acid is not the way.

I say the deck remains in the belly of the PC. You know, until they realize they need to get it out to complete the quest to destroy it. Remember, it's not your problem to come up with how it's done... it's their problem. :smalltongue: :smallamused:

Eldan
2014-11-11, 03:57 AM
Actually, now I have this fun idea of an ulcer starting around the deck, that grows into a gigantic, supernatural tumour that radiates chaos magic in all direction and slowly eats up the PCs body.

Jay R
2014-11-11, 10:46 AM

This should have been solved when it occurred.

How did she eat it? A deck is wider than a throat, so it would have to be chewed. At that point, the first card penetrated by teeth is drawn, and go from there.

infinitetech
2014-11-11, 09:01 PM
This should have been solved when it occurred.

How did she eat it? A deck is wider than a throat, so it would have to be chewed. At that point, the first card penetrated by teeth is drawn, and go from there.
actually with the character in question from whats been explained it would be perfectly reasonable, and also even for a human like me its not that hard, you just need to know how to relax your throat, common tarot cards from that era are MUCH smaller than modern day fakes or even modern playing cards, think of them as one of those slightly larger than normal business cards and printed on hand pressed papyrus which melts easily in any acid really, even the nice ones were only about 10% bigger and on very thin hand pressed paper or carefully sliced slivers of inner bark from a tree, which both still dissolve easy enough, only better for than that would be on leather which is digestible or stone tablets which would be less than 1/2 the size (width/height) due to the double sided etching and the smaller size to save weight, remember the time frames folks, metal cards may exist in some settings and could corrode/dissolve but would be even smaller yet

also there are actual rules on consuming magic items based on some of the old AD&D rules, cant remember where though, doing research on it

Jay R
2014-11-12, 08:52 AM
actually with the character in question from whats been explained it would be perfectly reasonable, and also even for a human like me its not that hard, you just need to know how to relax your throat, common tarot cards from that era are MUCH smaller than modern day fakes or even modern playing cards, think of them as one of those slightly larger than normal business cards and printed on hand pressed papyrus which melts easily in any acid really, even the nice ones were only about 10% bigger and on very thin hand pressed paper or carefully sliced slivers of inner bark from a tree, which both still dissolve easy enough, only better for than that would be on leather which is digestible or stone tablets which would be less than 1/2 the size (width/height) due to the double sided etching and the smaller size to save weight, remember the time frames folks, metal cards may exist in some settings and could corrode/dissolve but would be even smaller yet

also there are actual rules on consuming magic items based on some of the old AD&D rules, cant remember where though, doing research on it

She's eating an undrawn deck, not a series of cards. If the individual cards are being eaten, then the first four are drawn, and then the deck disappears.

infinitetech
2014-11-13, 02:54 PM
i know that, a deck of cards is still dependent on the cards inside and also need to be considered as far as digestibility, card decks aren't usually air tight and with the adjusted real size they are quite swallowable

Jay R
2014-11-13, 06:27 PM
i know that, a deck of cards is still dependent on the cards inside and also need to be considered as far as digestibility, card decks aren't usually air tight and with the adjusted real size they are quite swallowable

I'm not convinced a rectangular box is that easy to swallow anyway.

But even if it is, stomach juices are slowly eating through the box. The first card released is "drawn" - call it twelve hours later. Three more cards will come loose in the next few minutes.

infinitetech
2014-11-14, 02:51 AM
ive swallowed worse as birthday parlor tricks for friends, and actually the deck cases are usually weather proofed to a point, so things inside would be hit worse, i cant seem to find the old rules, but i believe it is basically that the items take swallowed whole type acid damage with a chance to save since they are magical (each time they have to make a save they gain an additional -1 for each damage they have taken) if they fail to save then they take acid damage to themself as if acidic sundering, or somethinbg like that, im trying to find the actual info, but i do know that the cards are each individual objects as well as the case, the case would probably have a +5 due to weather proofing (maybe even +10), and would probably have 3x hardness and 5x durability of the cards, atleast that is a base for rules, ill find the real info im sure

Lord Torath
2014-11-14, 08:33 AM
ive swallowed worse as birthday parlor tricks for friends, and actually the deck cases are usually weather proofed to a point, so things inside would be hit worse, i cant seem to find the old rules, but i believe it is basically that the items take swallowed whole type acid damage with a chance to save since they are magical (each time they have to make a save they gain an additional -1 for each damage they have taken) if they fail to save then they take acid damage to themself as if acidic sundering, or somethinbg like that, im trying to find the actual info, but i do know that the cards are each individual objects as well as the case, the case would probably have a +5 due to weather proofing (maybe even +10), and would probably have 3x hardness and 5x durability of the cards, at least that is a base for rules, ill find the real info im sureIn the OP's campaign, the is an Artifact with a capital "A". A little stomach acid is not going to affect it. The case is probably just as durable.

infinitetech
2014-11-15, 01:37 AM
In the OP's campaign, the is an Artifact with a capital "A". A little stomach acid is not going to affect it. The case is probably just as durable.
Artifacts can still be dissolved, they just have huge base bonuses to saves meaning they will last a long time until they start to dissolve unless they nat 1 or something... and please oh please have them nat 1, the other factors i said are just things that get the bonuses added to them

Forum Explorer
2014-11-15, 01:50 AM
1d4 days later she gives birth to Gambit from X-men. :smallbiggrin:

The player is now considered the Deck of Many Things, and thus cannot be healed, or have many if any spells cast on her. She slowly begins to transform into it, over a period of time.

smuchmuch
2014-11-15, 02:00 AM
(Y'know peoples I'd like to remind that there's more than way food can get out of the body, if the artefact is still in the level of the stomach, she could just vomit the thing out. As it would happen anyway, weither she likes it or not, after a while once the undestructable (therefore indigestible) deck ends up blocking the pylore.

Or she's end up being very sick and having a big risk of dying of intestinal oclusion (http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/gastrointestinal_disorders/acute_abdomen_and_surgical_gastroenterology/intestinal_obstruction.html) and need to have it removed.

And getting the deck removed by opening the belly doesn't have to mean her her death, assuming there's a good enough healer in her group. If healing spells can mend fledh and bones, i don't see why they couldn't repair sliced internal organs as long as they are casted before she bleed to death (although admitedly when your guts are hanging out, you probaly a need a pretty high level spell

Now putting madical facts aside and imagining the artifact just float in the stomach without causing any obstruction somehow, I'd turn her into a 'vesel' which functions as minor version of the artifact. Half regulary i'd have her burp an effect silar to one of the cards (but much lowered down).
After a while of semi randomly vomiting monsters, magical and spells at the worst moments I think she'll ask for the thing removed one way or another. Lesson learned :smalltongue:

if she eats another artifact the choice is yours, you cna have them reacting to each others or even cohabiting. (hey why not)

At long term, tho, I would agree with the solution proposed by Scowling Dragon though.
Make a little tabble of periodical saves: The longer she keeps a high end magical item in her body (weihter it's one of multiple though of course the more, the quicker it goes), the more she has a chance of mutating into a mahiccal abberation. If she gets far enough, she get NPCed.

Jay R
2014-11-15, 10:49 AM

Introduce the Throne of the Gods. Next. She can't eat that one.

Alaris
2014-11-15, 03:27 PM
Introduce the Throne of the Gods. Next. She can't eat that one.

You doubt her capability after she braved eating a Deck of Many Things?

I have confidence that she would find a way... somehow... of eating a Throne of the Gods.

daremetoidareyo
2014-11-15, 05:07 PM
So this player has an ancient artifact just sitting in her stomach. You have so many options here. Here's my two favorites that i could think of.

1.) Do nothing. That's right. The deck doesn't exist until the character dies or someone carves them up to take it out. It's not destroyed, it is just...biologically suspended.

2.) The deck begins to take over the personality of the player. Why was the deck created in the first place and by whom? Ask the PC if they are cooling adding these traits to their role-play. Maybe use taint/corruption rules from supplements.

Templarkommando
2014-11-15, 07:49 PM
As a general rule, artifacts are extremely powerful items. If a powerful individual/big bad/deity discovered that all they had to do was gut someone to get it... Things could become unpleasant for the person with a deck of many things in their stomach. Maybe the maker of the artifact built in a fail-safe to keep people from swallowing the deck - in the same way that rubbing alcohol will make a drinker blind.

Lord Torath
2014-11-15, 11:25 PM
Artifacts can still be dissolved, they just have huge base bonuses to saves meaning they will last a long time until they start to dissolve unless they nat 1 or something... and please oh please have them nat 1, the other factors i said are just things that get the bonuses added to themDepends on the system, I suppose. It sounds like the OP's capital "A" Artifacts have one and only one method of destruction. If Submerging In Acid isn't the decreed method, it will take absolutely no damage from it at all.

Narren
2014-11-16, 03:03 AM
My players mostly just eat cheetos and pretzels

Coventry
2014-11-18, 08:09 PM

I am late to this party, but after reading the original post, I had an idea.

The Deck was not destroyed by its official means, so it will want to get back out.

At night, the character sleep-walks and starts buying art supplies. Then starts drawing doodles, then pictures, then starts creating new cards!

After a bit of that, shift things so that the next time the character writes something down while awake, the deck interferes by having the written text have a random card effect. Sign a name? One random card effect. Write a Scroll of seven spells? Seven draws from the deck. Cast Explosive runes? Well, it's now supercharged.

When that stops working, have the deck escalate. The next book the character picks up? The pages become random card draws. Touch a flat surface (i.e. tabletop), a card image appears. Tattoos appear on the character's skin. Hair style changes take on effects.

Then have it stop for no reason at all. Let the panic of "not knowing what is up" grip the player for a session or two. Then they find it, back in deck form, like it had just teleported away. Or, is this a second deck? Bwah-hah-hah!

Jay R
2014-11-21, 08:47 AM

The Deck was not destroyed by its official means, so it will want to get back out.

Love it. Now go back and re-read the first two Discworld books and focus on how the Spell keeps trying to get said by Rincewind.

infinitetech
2014-11-22, 10:49 PM

At night, the character sleep-walks and starts buying art supplies. Then starts drawing doodles, then pictures, then starts creating new cards!

After a bit of that, shift things so that the next time the character writes something down while awake, the deck interferes by having the written text have a random card effect. Sign a name? One random card effect. Write a Scroll of seven spells? Seven draws from the deck. Cast Explosive runes? Well, it's now supercharged.

When that stops working, have the deck escalate. The next book the character picks up? The pages become random card draws. Touch a flat surface (i.e. tabletop), a card image appears. Tattoos appear on the character's skin. Hair style changes take on effects.

Then have it stop for no reason at all. Let the panic of "not knowing what is up" grip the player for a session or two. Then they find it, back in deck form, like it had just teleported away. Or, is this a second deck? Bwah-hah-hah!
wait wait! i bet its the deck's angry brother the deck of... *muffled yells and sounds of pain* IM SORRY BUT THE PLOT LEAKER HAS BECOME PREDISPOSED TO SILENCE, THAT IS ALL...

Psykenthrope
2014-11-23, 02:54 PM
i am late to this party, but after reading the original post, i had an idea.

The deck was not destroyed by its official means, so it will want to get back out.

After a bit of that, shift things so that the next time the character writes something down while awake, the deck interferes by having the written text have a random card effect. Sign a name? One random card effect. Write a scroll of seven spells? Seven draws from the deck. Cast explosive runes? Well, it's now supercharged.

When that stops working, have the deck escalate. The next book the character picks up? The pages become random card draws. Touch a flat surface (i.e. Tabletop), a card image appears. Tattoos appear on the character's skin. Hair style changes take on effects.

brilliant!!!